Best Screen Filters For Desktop And Laptops
Without computers and laptops, we can’t imagine our daily life. But we should know the way of using those in a maintained way. Using screen filter is one of those efficient ways.
These screen filters protect your monitor’s screens from scratches, dust, and glare from the sun or bright light.
It not only helps you to see in challenging light by reducing mirror-like reflections but also, keep your confidential and sensitive information safe from prying eyes. There are different types of screen filters with different specification.
We shall provide a comprehensive guide to buying the best screen filters for your device.
We shall begin with the types of filters and the guidance and terminologies associated with it.
Then we shall move into top 5 brands based on reviewers’ recommendation. We will also provide you proper installation along with proper website link to buy from the online stores. Continue reading to know more.
Table Of Contents
- 1 TYPES OF SCREEN FILTERS
- 2 Screen Filters Buyers Guide
- 3 TOP 8 SCREEN FILTER BRANDS
- 4 Conclusion
TYPES OF SCREEN FILTERS
There are different types of computer screen guards. Some protect from scratches, some help to reduce glares and some keep safe your personal and confidential information from visual hackers. They are discussed below with exclusive features.
LCD Screen Protectors
LCD Screen Protector is a clear film made of polyester polymers, that is designed to be placed directly on the surface.
Besides, it is used to hide scratches and sharpen the appearance in challenging light. There are different types of screen protectors available to fit widescreen or standard flat screen models.
- It protects screens from scratch and dust
- Help to see in difficult light conditions by reducing light reflection
- Reduce the blue light reflection from the screen
- It can be cleaned easily
- Hide dust and fingerprints
Computer eye strain is a major job-related complaint. Eye strain and visual symptoms have been seen in 50-90% of computer users. Glare from walls and finished surfaces, the sun and other reflections on your computer screen is one of the issues that can cause eyestrain.
Anti-glare filters are the best and effective solution to this problem. They not only protect screens from dust and scratches but also, improve viewing in challenging indoor light conditions.
A good anti-glare has these following features.
The optical glass
A good quality optical glass is preferable to plastic or micro mesh. Anti-reflective coatings /Multi-layer anti-reflective coatings on one or both sides of the glass help to reduce 95% to 99% glare.
There are different light transmissions available in anti-glare filters. They are from about 30% to 65% or higher. The amount of ambient light glare in your workplace helps to determine the level of transmission suits you. The greater the glare, the lower the transmission you need to reduce glare on the computer screen.
To minimizes the accumulation of dust on the computer screen, it is very important to keep in mind the draining excess static electricity from the computer screen. It can reduce character legibility. A good anti-glare filter contains anti-static features.
The coating that can be cleaned easily
It can be difficult to remove fingerprints from screens with Anti-reflection coatings. A good anti-glare filter has a feature of cleaning the filter easily using only water and a soft cloth.
AOA Seal of Acceptance and ISO 9241-7 Compliance
This specification is very important for anti-glare filters. This assures you that your filter has been tested to the highest standards for glare reduction.
LCD Screen Magnifier
It is designed by eye specialists to make users blink at a healthy rate and see the screen effectively from any positions.
It is designed to sit on top or beside your computer screen.
- Causes minimal distraction from the computer task.
- It is fully portable between multiple computers, easy to use, plug and play unit, drawing power from an USB port or from a mains supply.
- It does not require any software installation and does not interfere with the functionality of the computer in any way.
- Shows an animated blink within the users’ peripheral field, repeated at a regular interval to provide a cue for a scientifically determined healthy blink rate.
If you are working at the library, in the bus or at a cafeteria or using your laptop in an office or on an airplane, it can be difficult to keep strangers away from seeing your screen. Yes, visual hacking is real and easy and these are the very common scenario of visually hacking of your personal or confidential information. Privacy filter is the effective way to keep safe your information from visual hacking.
Privacy filter’s working principle is very easy to understand. If you ever use a vertical blind in a home, you can know that you can only see through certain angle only. Privacy filter is the miniature of that thing. Micro louver that is built in that filter screen to pass the light straight only.
Ponemon Institute conducted an experiment on visual hacking. They sent a white hat hacker to participate a corporate office and hack information using visual means. He succeeded to gather information of 88% of the trial. In today’s modern and mobile business environment visual hacking is the most important and concerned problem than ever. And anybody can be a visual hacker, he may be your office colleague, the person right beside your seat in airplane or anybody. It proves how badly you need a privacy filter screen.
- Effective privacy for side angle views
- Clear image clarity
- Protects from dust, dings, and scratches
- Multiple attachment options for monitors and laptops
- Attaches easily and removes cleanly
- Decreases 30-40% of blue light transmission from the display
Screen Filters Buyers Guide
For appropriate buying follow the steps.
Step 1: Check Your Device’s Screen Type
There are two types of screen. They are a flat front glass screen and a raised bezel. Determine which one is yours. A flat front glass screen or a raised bezel.
Step 2: Measure Your Screen
If you have a monitor with a raised bezel screen, you have to measure the height and width of the viewable area of the screen within the bezel.
If you have a monitor with a flat front glass screen, you have to measure the height and width of the entire glass display.
Step 3: Find Your Product
Use the measurements to select the right sized filter for your device from the products.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- If you find that the selected filter does not match with your measurements, select a smaller filter but close to your measured values.
- Filters come in two frame designs – flat or wrap-around. The choices of screen filter changes with your maintained style and personal preference. Measure the area without the frames of your monitor diagonally before buying any. Through this, you can determine the correct size that you need for your filter.
- Anti-glare filters also come with being attached privacy filter. You can get this two in one benefits from many companies.
Since filters are designed to be extremely close to the surface of your screen or stick to your monitor screen, you have to make sure that it’s properly cleaned and free from any debris or fingerprints before installing it.
A clean microfiber cloth with a light spray of ammonia-free glass cleaner is a definitely good choice to do the clean-ups.
TOP 8 SCREEN FILTER BRANDS
There are many brands that offer screen filters. We will provide you the best of 8 brands with maximum viewers’ choices.
#1 Akamai Office Products Laptop Screen Filter
Available in 12.5, 14 and 15.6-inch sizes, the Akamai Office Products Laptop Privacy Screen is built with excellent, long-lasting quality.
The installation process is quite simple and very straightforward, even for someone who has a limited experience.
There are two installation processes.
In the first case, you have to utilize the clear adhesive tabs and securely hold it in place.
In the second case, there is used a double-sided tape and the filter stick it on the screen directly and easily. It is a more fashionable method.
- By decreasing the viewing angle of your screen to 30 degrees both side except the front, only the person using the laptop will be able to see.
- The adhesive tabs and double-sided tape are both included
- Impressive lifetime guarantee
- These filters are perfect for use in universities, financial institutions, offices, health care center, and corporate sectors
- NOT compatible with touchscreens
Official link: https://akamai-products.myshopify.com/
#2 3M Screen Filter
3M is the largest manufacturer of filters and they come in different shapes and sizes. It is the most trusted and reputable brand in screen filters market.
Its patented technology incorporates over a dozen of these micro louvers per every millimeter, simulating the same effect that a pair of Venetian blinds would do for a window in your house.
It provides privacy filters, anti-glare filters, and ultra-clear filters. They have black and gold colored privacy filter. This exclusive feature is a good choice for fashionable users.
- Help reduce glare and mirror-like reflections which make your screen easier to use in high-glare situations.
- Easy to apply: removable and re-attachable.
- Includes two forms of attachment strips.
- There will be no lamination and bubbles.
- Protects screen against scratches.
- Compatible with most touch-screen displays.
- Easy to clean.
- Hides fingerprints.
- It’s available in either black or gold
- Keeps your personal or confidential information safe in any circumstances
- You’ll see the information on your monitor while people on either side only see a darkened or golden screen of 3M brand
- 18 different screen sizes available for both standard and widescreen aspect ratios in the range of 10.1-17.3 inches.
- They used an ingenious Advanced Light Control Film technology
- A bit lacking in terms of both quality and viewing filtration
Official site: http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/privacy-screen-protectors-us/
#3 Eleplace Premium Screen Filter
Eleplace Premium Screen offers an effective and high-quality screen filters for desktops and laptops.
It is designed with optic-grade clarity and fully protected against scratches. It also prevents up 96% of ultraviolet and 99.99% of LF-radiation from your screen.
It also has two installation process. The first option is with double-sided tape and the second option is using built-in clear adhesive tabs. Both options work equally well, it really just comes down to a matter of preference.
- It has a thicker and more solid feel
- Included with an incredible lifetime guarantee
- For privacy screens, it decreases the viewing angle to 60 degrees (30 on each side of you, and adding a darkened tint)
- You will be provided installation kit. It allows to choose between two installation options that either install the screen permanently or slide the screen whenever you need
- Not that good installation process like other two
#4 Targus Screen Filters
Targus provide privacy filter screen with anti-glare qualities. So that one screen filter can do both the works of reducing the eye strain and narrowing the viewing angle. They have wide ranges of screen filters up to 30 inches widescreen LCD monitor.
- Works with touch screens and dual screens
- Anti-microbial – skane m-8 microbe-protective coating provides awesome result against fungi and inhibits the growth of bacteria. These features are perfect for touch screens.
- Keep safe the sensitive information of yours on your monitor from unwanted viewing in any circumstances
- Privacy screens of Targus are more touch-sensitive than other products on the market
- Reversible screen: shiny side ensures clarity for viewing inside, matte side reduces glare for viewing outside or in a bright room
- Three easy attachment options: under-bezel tabs, tab guides or re-usable adhesive strips
- The mounting system of installing is not that good.
#5 Fellowes Screen Filter
Fellowes is a popular name in filter screen market. Their collections of anti-glare and privacy filters are good enough to impress users. They have flat panel screens for desktop monitor and widescreen filters for laptops.
- It is important to note that the Fellowes privacy filter has a glossy side and a matte side. Both side have the different qualities to satisfy different type of users but they have one common thing that is to protect screen from scratches and to reduce glare.
- It protects laptops or flat panel screens.
- Offer anti-static and anti-radiation protection
- Privacy screen reduces the contrast of the screen. So, It causes problem while watching night scenes in movie.
#6 Kensington Screen Filter
Kensington is very popular brand. There screens have special hard-coating narrows with improved visible improvement. Their textured surface reduce glare and improve contrast. They provide variety of the screens with screen size of 15.6 to 22 inches.
- Limits viewing angle to 30° to bothsides except the front, hiding sensitive personal or confidential information from prying eyes
- Reduces harmful blue light by up to 35%
- Can be installed using the included frameless tab holders or tape with double-side feature
- Anti-reflective coating reduces glare and improves clarity
- Anti-microbial coating decreases film degradation
- Reversible with matte and glossy viewing options
- Protects the monitor screen from scratches and damage
- Cleaning cloth included
- Its thin enough that it still allows your notebook to close and latch.
- In airplanes and such other close blocks it prevents visual hackers from seeing in your screen
- Protect the screen itself from scratches and smudges
- After implementing, sometimes it can be displaced.
#7 Belkin True-Clear Screen Filter
Belkin is a reputable brand in screen filter market. They provide mainly privacy filter for notebook, MacBook and Ultrabook. Users got satisfied with their products and if your price range is low then this product is the best fit for you.
- Flip sides allow you to choose between a matte touch-up or glossy finish
- Side-view privacy blocks screen visibility from side angles
- Optic-grade clarity ensures a crystal-clear viewing experience
- Included protective folder for safe storage when not in use
- Easy on-and-off micro suction tabs for simple attachment
- Antireflection allows optimal screen visibility
- It does not have antismudge protection.
#8 Kantek Secure-View Screen Filter
Kantek is also a very good screen filter company. They provide Black-out privacy filter for widescreen notebook with 14, 17, 19, 20, and 24 inches monitor, Secure-view LCD monitor filter, LCD monitor magnifier and anti-glare screen filter for different screen sizes.
- Fits Widescreen LCD Monitors with a diagonal screen mensuration of 20.1″ and a 16:10 facet ratio
- microfiber cleanup material enclosed
- Reduces glare and will increase distinction
- Cleans easily
- Protects the show from scratches and dirt
- light-weight, thin, frameless design
- simple to connect and take away
- It is difficult to use touchscreen through the filter.
After getting all this stuff you should definitely got serious reasons that why screen filter is so important for you and your computer. So, stop thinking and start buying the appropriate, screen filter for your computer and keep in mind all the points we mentioned above.
If you want to buy from most trusted brands and don’t want to take risk with your money, then the top three brands are the best choices. But other companies are also improving there quality by there exclusive features. So, use screen filters to stay safe from eye strain and other visual problems and keep your information safe from outsiders in different places by using privacy guards.
For privacy guards, 3M and Akamai office products are our choices, for anti-glare 3M and Fellowes are our best preferences.
Kensington and Targus are also liked by reviewers. Don’t forget to tell your experience with screen filters in comment box below. Also write if you have any good information about screen filter.