Best Screen Filters For Desktops And Laptops
Without computers and laptops, we can’t imagine our daily life. But we should know the way of using those in a maintained way. Using a screen filter is one of those efficient ways.
These screen filters protect your monitor’s screens from scratches, dust, and glare from the sun or bright light.
It not only helps you to see in challenging light by reducing mirror-like reflections but also keeps your confidential and sensitive information safe from prying eyes. There are different types of screen filters with different specifications. We shall provide a comprehensive guide to buying the best screen filters for your device.
We shall begin with the types of filters and the guidance and terminologies associated with it.
Then we shall move into the top 8 brands based on reviewers’ recommendations. We will also provide you proper installation along with the appropriate website link to buy from the online stores. Continue reading to know more.
TOP 8 SCREEN FILTER BRANDS
Tips to Keep in Mind
If you find that the selected filter does not match with your measurements, select a smaller filter but close to your measured values.
Filters come in two frame designs – flat or wrap-around. The choices of screen filter changes with your maintained style and personal preference measure the area without the frames of your monitor diagonally before buying any. Through this, you can determine the correct size that you need for your filter.
Anti-glare filters also come with being attached to privacy filters. You can get these two in one benefits from many companies.
Since filters are designed to be extremely close to the surface of your screen or stick to your monitor screen, you have to make sure that it’s properly cleaned and free from any debris or fingerprints before installing it.
A clean microfiber cloth with a light spray of ammonia-free glass cleaner is a good choice to do the clean-ups.
TYPES OF SCREEN FILTERS
There are different types of computer screen guards. Some protect from scratches, some help to reduce glares, and some keep safe your personal and confidential information from visual hackers. They are discussed below with exclusive features.
LCD Screen Protectors
LCD Screen Protector is a transparent film made of polyester polymers, that is designed to be placed directly on the surface.
Besides, it is used to hide scratches and sharpen the appearance in challenging light. There are different types of screen protectors available to fit widescreen or standard flat-screen models.
- It protects screens from scratch and dust
- Help to see in severe light conditions by reducing light reflection
- Reduce the blue light reflection from the screen
- It can be cleaned easily
- Hide dust and fingerprints
Computer eye strain is a major job-related complaint. Eye strain and visual symptoms have been seen in 50-90% of computer users. Glare from walls and finished surfaces, the sun and other reflections on your computer screen is one of the issues that can cause eyestrain.
Anti-glare filters are the best and effective solution to this problem. They not only protect screens from dust and scratches but also improve viewing in challenging indoor light conditions.
A good anti-glare has the following features.
- The optical glass
A good quality optical glass is preferable to plastic or micro mesh. Anti-reflective coatings /Multi-layer anti-reflective coatings on one or both sides of the glass help to reduce 95% to 99% glare.
There are different light transmissions available in anti-glare filters. They are from about 30% to 65% or higher. The amount of ambient light glare in your workplace helps to determine the level of transmission suits you. The greater the glare, the lower the transmission you need to reduce glare on the computer screen.
- To minimizes the accumulation of dust on the computer screen, it is essential to keep in mind the draining excess static electricity from the computer screen. It can reduce character legibility. A good anti-glare filter contains anti-static features.
- The coating that can be cleaned easily
- It can be difficult to remove fingerprints from screens with Anti-reflection coatings. A good anti-glare filter has a feature of cleaning the filter easily using only water and a soft cloth.
- AOA Seal of Acceptance and ISO 9241-7 Compliance
- This specification is very important for anti-glare filters. This assures you that your filter has been tested to the highest standards for glare reduction.
LCD Screen Magnifier
It is designed by eye specialists to make users blink at a healthy rate and see the screen effectively from any position.
It is designed to sit on top or beside your computer screen.
- Causes minimal distraction from the computer task.
- It is fully portable between multiple computers, easy to use, plug and play unit, drawing power from a USB port or a mains supply.
- It does not require any software installation and does not interfere with the functionality of the computer in any way.
- Shows an animated blink within the users’ peripheral field, repeated at a regular interval to provide a cue for a scientifically determined healthy blink rate.
If you are working at the library, on the bus, at a cafeteria, or using your laptop in an office or on an airplane, it can be difficult to keep strangers away from seeing your screen. Yes, visual hacking is real and easy, and these are the widespread scenario of visually hacking of your personal or confidential information. Privacy filter is an effective way to keep safe your information from visual hacking.
Privacy filter’s working principle is very easy to understand. If you ever use a vertical blind in a home, you can know that you can only see through a certain angle. Privacy filter is the miniature of that thing. Micro louver that is built in that filter screen to pass the light straight only.
Ponemon Institute experimented with visual hacking. They sent a white hat hacker to participate in a corporate office and hack information using visual means. He succeeded in gathering information about 88% of the trial.
In today’s modern and mobile business environment, visual hacking is the most important and concerning problem than ever. And anybody can be a visual hacker; he may be your office colleague, the person right beside your seat in airplane or anybody. It proves how badly you need a privacy filter screen.
- Effective privacy for side angle views
- Clear image clarity
- Protects from dust, dings, and scratches
- Multiple attachment options for monitors and laptops
- Attaches easily and removes cleanly
- Decreases 30-40% of blue light transmission from the display
Screen Filters Buyers Guide
We have screen filters available in the market with black, blue, and gold color. The color of the filter entirely depends on the brand and company. Few manufacturers provide fold color filter while a few with black color. However, both work similarly.
A gold color screen filter is expensive as it won’t dim your screen. Yet they reflect more and hence not preferable if you are working outdoors. A black color screen filter is ideal for an indoor and outdoor work environment.
Generally, black filters do not provide image clarity as the screen gets dimmed. Yet many manufacturers come with good technology, and on using the filters, you can see clear image and information. However, the screen filters work only with certain angles, and the rest is black.
Price of the screen filter varies from company to company, and it is ranged anywhere between Rs. 1100 to 30,000. For general office use and home use, you can select a screen filter priced between Rs.1100 to Rs.2000
For appropriate buying, follow the steps.
Step 1: Check Your Device’s Screen Type
There are two types of screens. They are a flat front glass screen and a raised bezel. Determine which one is yours. A flat front glass screen or a raised bezel.
Step 2: Measure Your Screen
If you have a monitor with a raised bezel screen, you have to measure the height and width of the viewable area of the screen within the bezel.
If you have a monitor with a flat front glass screen, you have to measure the height and width of the entire glass display.
Step 3: Find Your Product
Use the measurements to select the right sized filter for your device from the products.
TOP 8 BEST SCREEN FILTER BRANDS
1. ENEM 13.3 Inch Privacy Screen Guard Filter
ENEM screen filter comes in black color. It is provided with adhesive tape for easy placing the filter over the screen. The filter is measured diagonally and is 13.3 inches. It has anti-scratch and anti-glare properties.
- The product comes with one privacy filter, adhesive tapes, instruction manual
- Privacy filter is not compatible with touchscreen
- The aspect ratio of the filter is 16:9, and the filter is 13.3 inches
- It provides good protection to eyes and saves your eyes from bright light
- Now, you can be free from visual thefts and visual hacking
- The filter provides confidentiality of surfing details
- It limits the view. When it is placed in a straight position only the user can see the information and either side will see the dark screen
- The filter fits only for Macbook Air laptop screen
- Worth for money
- Clear and precise instructions
- Anti-glare and anti-scratch properties
- Screen gets dark after using the filter
- Difficulty in using the screen fixes
2. Akamai Office Products Laptop Screen Filter
Available in 12.5, 14 and 15.6-inch sizes, the Akamai Office Laptop Privacy Screen is built with excellent, long-lasting quality. The installation process is quite simple and very straightforward, even for someone who has limited experience. There are two installation processes. In the first case, you have to utilize the clear adhesive tabs and securely hold it in place. In the second case, there is used double-sided tape, and the filter sticks it on the screen directly and easily. It is a more popular method.
- By decreasing the viewing angle of your screen to 30 degrees both sides except the front, only the person using the laptop will be able to see.
- The adhesive tabs and double-sided tape are both included.
- Impressive lifetime guarantee
- These filters are perfect for use in universities, financial institutions, offices, health care centers, and corporate sectors.
- Not compatible with touchscreens
3. 3M Screen Filter
M is the largest manufacturer of filters, and they come in different shapes and sizes. It is the most trusted and reputable brand in the screen filters market.
Its patented technology incorporates over a dozen of these micro louvers per millimeter, simulating the same effect that a pair of Venetian blinds would do for a window in your house.
It provides privacy filters, anti-glare filters, and ultra-clear filters.
They have a black and gold-colored privacy filter. This exclusive feature is a good choice for fashionable users.
- Help reduce glare and mirror-like reflections, which make your screen more natural to use in high-glare situations.
- Easy to apply: removable and re-attachable.
- Includes two forms of attachment strips.
- There will be no lamination and bubbles.
- Protects screen against scratches.
- Compatible with most touch-screen displays.
- Easy to clean.
- Hides fingerprints.
- It’s available in either black or gold.
- Keeps your personal or confidential information safe in any circumstances
- You’ll see the information on your monitor while people on either side only see a darkened or golden screen of the 3M brand.
- Eighteen different screen sizes are available for both standard and widescreen aspect ratios in the range of 10.1-17.3 inches.
- They used an ingenious Advanced Light Control Film technology.
- A bit lacking in terms of both quality and viewing filtration
4. Eleplace Premium Screen Filter
Eleplace Premium Screen offers active and high-quality screen filters for desktops and laptops.
It is designed with optic-grade clarity and fully protected against scratches. It also prevents up 96% of ultraviolet and 99.99% of LF-radiation from your screen.
It also has two installation process. The first option is with double-sided tape, and the second option is using built-in clear adhesive tabs. Both options work equally well; it just comes down to a matter of preference.
- It has a thicker and more substantial feel
- Included with an incredible lifetime guarantee
- For privacy screens, it decreases the viewing angle to 60 degrees (30 on each side of you, and adding a darkened tint)
- You will be provided an installation kit. It allows choosing between two installation options that either install the screen permanently or slide the screen whenever you need
- Not that good installation process like other two
5. Targus 4Vu Privacy Filter Screen
Targus provides a privacy filter screen with anti-glare qualities. So that one screen filter can do both the works of reducing the eye strain and narrowing the viewing angle. They have wide ranges of screen filters up to 30 inches widescreen LCD monitor.
- Works with touch screens and dual screens
- Anti-microbial – Skane m-8 microbe-protective coating provides impressive results against fungi and inhibits the growth of bacteria. These features are perfect for touch screen laptops.
- Keep safe the sensitive information of yours on your monitor from unwanted viewing in any circumstances
- Privacy screens of Targus are more touch-sensitive than other products on the market
- Reversible filter screen: shiny side ensures clarity for viewing inside, matte side reduces glare for viewing outside or in a bright room
- Three easy attachment options: under-bezel tabs, tab guides or re-usable adhesive strips
- The mounting system of installing is not that good.
6. Fellowes Fellowes PrivaScreen Privacy Filter
Fellowes is a popular name in the filter screen market. Their collections of anti-glare and privacy filters are good enough to impress users. They have flat-panel screens for desktop monitors and widescreen filters for laptops.
- It is important to note that the Fellowes privacy filter has a glossy side and a matte side. Both sides have different qualities to satisfy different types of users, but they have one common thing that is to protect the screen from scratches and to reduce glare.
- It protects laptops or flat panel screens.
- Offer anti-static and anti-radiation protection
- Privacy screen reduces the contrast of the screen. So, It causes problems while watching night scenes in the movie.
7. Kensington Privacy Screen
Kensington is a trendy brand. Their screens have special hard-coating narrows with improved visible improvement. Their textured surface reduces glare and improves contrast. They provide a variety of screens with a screen size of 15.6 to 22 inches.
- Limits viewing angle to 30° to both sides except the front, hiding sensitive personal or confidential information from prying eyes
- Reduces harmful blue light by up to 35%
- Can be installed using the included frameless tab holders or tape with double-side feature
- Anti-reflective coating reduces glare and improves clarity
- Anti-microbial coating decreases film degradation
- Reversible with matte and glossy viewing options
- Protects the monitor screen from scratches and damage
- Cleaning cloth included
- It is thin enough that it still allows your notebook to close and latch.
- In airplanes and such other close blocks, it prevents visual hackers from seeing on your screen.
- Protect the screen itself from scratches and smudges
- After implementing, sometimes, it can be displaced.
8. Belkin True-Clear Screen Filter
Belkin is a reputable brand in the screen filter market. They provide mainly privacy filter for notebook, MacBook and Ultrabook. Users got satisfied with their products, and if your price range is low, then this product is the best fit for you.
- Flip sides allow you to choose between a matte touch-up or glossy finish
- Side-view privacy blocks screen visibility from side angles
- Optic-grade clarity ensures a crystal-clear viewing experience
- Included protective folder for safe storage when not in use
- Easy on-and-off micro-suction tabs for simple attachment
- Anti-reflection allows optimal screen visibility
- It does not have anti-smudge protection.
9. Kantek Secure-View Blackout Privacy Filter
Kantek is also an excellent screen filter company. They provide a Black-out privacy filter for a widescreen notebook with 14, 17, 19, 20, and 24 inches monitor, Secure-view LCD monitor filter, LCD monitor magnifier and anti-glare screen filter for different screen sizes.
- Fits Widescreen LCD Monitors with a diagonal screen mensuration of 20.1? and a 16:10 facet ratio
- microfiber cleanup material enclosed
- Reduces glare and will increase distinction
- Cleans easily
- Protects the show from scratches and dirt
- the light-weight, thin, frameless design
- simple to connect and take away
- It is difficult to use the touchscreen through the filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does screen filter work?
Screen filters are plastic sheets that are placed on the computer screen to maintain the confidentiality of data. When the laptop or desktop monitors are in a straight position, the only user can see the data, people who are on either side of the screen can not see the data and the screen will be dark. Also, the screens provide anti-glare and anti-scratch features.
2. What is the computer privacy screen?
Computer privacy screens are privacy filters or screen filters that come with anti-glare technology. They protect your eyes from strain and bright lights. Also, they maintain the confidentiality of the information and can be seen through a certain angle.
3. Do computer privacy screens help your eyes?
Yes, the privacy screens come with the anti-glare feature. They help in reducing strain on your eyes. Also, the screen helps in reducing the bright light and UV light.
4. Why do you need a screen filter?
Screen filters require to prevent leakage of sensitive information and to protect your eyes.
After getting all this stuff, you should get severe reasons why screen filter is so essential for you and your computer. So, stop thinking and start buying the appropriate, screen filter for your computer and keep in mind all the points we mentioned above.
If you want to buy from the most trusted brands and don’t want to take the risk with your money, then the top three brands are the best choices. But other companies are also improving their quality by there exclusive features. So, use screen filters to stay safe from eye strain and other visual problems and keep your information safe from outsiders in different places by using privacy guards.
Reviewers also like Kensington and Targus. Don’t forget to tell your experience with screen filters in the comment box below. Also, write if you have any useful information about the screen filter.