Best Screen Filters For Desktops And Laptops
Thanks to the rapid digitization of human experiences and work processes, we are spending countless hours before desktops or laptops than ever before.
The continuous exposure of desktop or laptop screens for long durations leads to harmful eye symptoms such as headaches, blurred vision, dry-eye syndrome, burning eyes, and disrupted sleep. This has necessitated the use of screen filters for ensuring safe viewing.
A high-quality screen filter is designed to protect your eyes from the harmful rays reflecting from desktop or laptop screens. This screen filter also protects your monitor’s screens from glare from bright lights or sunlight, dust, and scratches.
In this article, you will find a comprehensive guide to buying the best screen filters for your device., types of filters and terminologies associated with it, and an FAQ section to address your doubts.
Top 8 Screen Filter Brands in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Tips to Keep in Mind
Filters come in two frame designs – flat or wrap-around. The choices of screen filter changes with your maintained style and personal preference measure the area without the frames of your monitor diagonally before buying any. Through this, you can determine the correct size that you need for your filter.
Anti-glare filters also come with being attached to privacy filters. You can get these two in one benefits from many companies. If you find that the selected filter does not match with your measurements, select a smaller filter but close to your measured values.
Since filters are designed to be extremely close to the surface of your screen or stick to your monitor screen, you have to make sure that it’s properly cleaned and free from any debris or fingerprints before installing it.
A clean microfiber cloth with a light spray of ammonia-free glass cleaner is a good choice to do the clean-ups.
Types of screen filters
There are different types of computer screen guards. Some protect from scratches while some help in reducing glares.
LCD Screen Protectors
LCD Screen Protector is a transparent film made of polyester polymers, that is designed to be placed directly on the surface.
It hides scratches and sharpens the appearance in bright light. There are different types of screen protectors available to fit widescreen or standard flat-screen models.
- It protects screens from scratch and dust
- Help to see in severe light conditions by reducing light reflection
- Reduce the blue light reflection from the screen
- It can be cleaned easily
- Hide dust and fingerprints
Computer eye strain is a major job-related complaint. Eye strain and visual symptoms have been seen in 50-90% of computer users. Glare from the sun and other reflections on your computer screen is one of the issues that can cause eyestrain.
Anti-glare filters are the most effective solution to this problem. They not only protect screens from dust and scratches but also improve viewing in reflective indoor light conditions.
A good quality optical glass is preferable to plastic or micro mesh. Anti-reflective coatings /Multi-layer anti-reflective coatings on one or both sides of the glass help to reduce 95% to 99% glare.
There are different light transmissions available in anti-glare filters. They are from about 30% to 65% or higher. The amount of ambient light glare in your workplace helps to determine the level of transmission suits you.
- To minimizes the accumulation of dust on the computer screen, it is essential to keep in mind the draining excess static electricity from the computer screen. It can reduce character legibility. A good anti-glare filter contains anti-static features.
- The coating that can be cleaned easily
- It can be difficult to remove fingerprints from screens with Anti-reflection coatings. A good anti-glare filter has a feature of cleaning the filter easily using only water and a soft cloth.
- AOA Seal of Acceptance and ISO 9241-7 Compliance
- This specification is very important for anti-glare filters. This assures you that your filter has been tested to the highest standards for glare reduction.
LCD Screen Magnifier
It is designed by eye specialists to make users blink at a healthy rate and see the screen effectively from any position.
It is designed to sit on top or beside your computer screen.
- Causes minimal distraction from the computer task.
- It is fully portable between multiple computers, easy to use, plug and play unit, drawing power from a USB port or a mains supply.
- It does not require any software installation and does not interfere with the functionality of the computer in any way.
- Shows an animated blink within the users’ peripheral field, repeated at a regular interval to provide a cue for a scientifically determined healthy blink rate.
If you are working at the library, on the bus, at a cafeteria, or using your laptop in an office or on an airplane, it can be difficult to prevent strangers from seeing your screen.
Visual hacking is real and easy, and these are the widespread scenario of visually hacking of your personal or confidential information. Privacy filter is an effective way to keep safe your information from visual hacking.
The technology of a privacy filter obscures wide viewing angles, thus preventing from people peeking in your laptop or computer.
- Effective privacy for side angle views
- Clear image clarity
- Protects from dust, dings, and scratches
- Multiple attachment options for monitors and laptops
- Attaches easily and removes cleanly
- Decreases 30-40% of blue light transmission from the display
Screen Filters Buyers Guide
We have screen filters available in the market with black, blue, and gold colors. The color of the filter entirely depends on the brand and company. Few manufacturers provide fold color filter while a few with black color. However, both work similarly.
A gold color screen filter is expensive as it won’t dim your screen. Yet they reflect more and hence not preferable if you are working outdoors. A black color screen filter is ideal for an indoor and outdoor work environment.
Screen filters often reduce the brightness and viewing clarity of the screen. So before buying, make sure you are comfortable with how your screen looks on applying the filter,
Price of the screen filter varies from company to company, and it ranges from anywhere between Rs. 1100 to 30,000.
For appropriate buying, follow the steps.
Step 1: Check Your Device’s Screen Type
There are two types of screens. They are a flat front glass screen and a raised bezel. Determine which one is yours and buy a filter accordingly.
Step 2: Measure Your Screen
If you have a monitor with a raised bezel screen, you have to measure the height and width of the viewable area of the screen within the bezel.
If you have a monitor with a flat front glass screen, you have to measure the height and width of the entire glass display.
Step 3: Find Your Product
Use the measurements to select the right sized filter for your device from the products.
Top 8 Best Screen Filter Brands
1. ENEM 13.3 Inch Privacy Screen Guard Filter
ENEM screen filter comes in black color. It is provided with adhesive tape for easy placing the filter over the screen. The filter is measured diagonally and is 13.3 inches. It has anti-scratch and anti-glare properties.
- The product comes with one privacy filter, adhesive tapes, instruction manual.
- Privacy filter is not compatible with touchscreen.
- The aspect ratio of the filter is 16:9, and the filter is 13.3 inches.
- It provides good protection to eyes and saves your eyes from bright light.
- When it is placed in a straight position only the user can see the screen.
- Worth the money.
- Clear and precise instructions.
- Anti-glare and anti-scratch properties.
- Screen becomes dark after using the filter.
2. Akamai Office Products Laptop Screen Filter
Available in 12.5, 14 and 15.6-inch sizes, the Akamai Office Laptop Privacy Screen is built with excellent, long-lasting quality. The installation process is quite simple and very straightforward, even for someone who has limited experience.
- By decreasing the viewing angle of your screen to 30 degrees both sides except the front, only the person using the laptop will be able to see.
- The adhesive tabs and double-sided tape are both included.
- Impressive lifetime guarantee.
- These filters are perfect for use in universities, financial institutions, offices, health care centers, and corporate sectors.
- Not compatible with touchscreens.
3. 3M Screen Filter
This is the largest manufacturer of filters, and they come in different shapes and sizes. It is the most trusted and reputable brand in the screen filters market.
Its patented technology incorporates over a dozen of these micro louvers per millimeter, simulating the same effect that a pair of Venetian blinds would do for a window in your house.
It provides privacy filters, anti-glare filters, and ultra-clear filters. They have a black and gold-colored privacy filter. This exclusive feature is a good choice for fashionable users.
- Helps reduce glare and mirror-like reflections, which make your screen more natural to use in high-glare situations.
- Easy to apply: removable and re-attachable.
- Includes two forms of attachment strips.
- There are no lamination and bubbles.
- Protects screen against scratches.
- Compatible with most touch-screen displays.
- Easy to clean.
- Hides fingerprints.
- It’s available in either black or gold.
- Keeps your personal or confidential information safe in any circumstances
- You’ll see the information on your monitor while people on either side only see a darkened or golden screen of the 3M brand.
- Eighteen different screen sizes are available for both standard and widescreen aspect ratios in the range of 10.1-17.3 inches.
- They use an ingenious Advanced Light Control Film technology.
- A bit lacking in terms of viewing filtration.
4. Eleplace Premium Screen Filter
Eleplace Premium Screen offers active and high-quality screen filters for desktops and laptops.
It is designed with optic-grade clarity and fully protected against scratches. It also prevents up 96% of ultraviolet and 99.99% of LF-radiation from your screen.
It also has two installation process. The first option is with double-sided tape, and the second option is using built-in clear adhesive tabs. Both options work equally well; it just comes down to a matter of preference.
- It has a thicker and more substantial feel.
- Included with an incredible lifetime guarantee.
- For privacy screens, it decreases the viewing angle to 60 degrees (30 on each side of you, and adding a darkened tint).
- You will be provided an installation kit. It allows choosing between two installation options that either install the screen permanently or slide the screen whenever you need.
- Installation is a bit difficult.
5. Targus 4Vu Privacy Filter Screen
Targus provides a privacy filter screen with anti-glare qualities. So that one screen filter can do both the works of reducing the eye strain and narrowing the viewing angle. They have wide ranges of screen filters up to 30 inches widescreen LCD monitor.
- Works with touch screens and dual screens.
- Anti-microbial – Skane m-8 microbe-protective coating provides impressive results against fungi and inhibits the growth of bacteria. These features are perfect for touch screen laptops..
- Keep safe the sensitive information of yours on your monitor from unwanted viewing in any circumstances.
- Privacy screens of Targus are more touch-sensitive than other products on the market.
- Reversible filter screen: shiny side ensures clarity for viewing inside, matte side reduces glare for viewing outside or in a bright room.
- Three easy attachment options: under-bezel tabs, tab guides or re-usable adhesive strips.
- The mounting system of installing is not that good.
6. Amanora Care Privacy Guard Filter Screen for Laptop
Amanora Care privacy filter for Laptop is designed for 15.6-inch laptops. It works as an anti-spy film that helps to prevent visual hacking. This screen filter comes with an anti-glare and scratch-resistant layer. It is prepared from PET material.
This privacy filter is ideally suitable for laptops. It provides excellent protection for your eyes as it can reduce up to 35% of blue light transmission from your laptop display.
- The visible angle of this privacy filter is less than 30 degrees. Thus, it provides a visual area of only 30 degrees.
- It provides effective eye protection by preventing up to 70 to 80 percent UV rays.
- It is an anti-scratch filter that protects your LCD screen against dust, scratches, soiled, and fingerprints.
- It features a super anti-rub coat that protects the screen from external damages.
- With its effective black-out privacy, you can keep your personal and confidential information private. It provides privacy from side views so that only you can clearly see on your laptop while onlookers only see black.
- It reduces blue light transmission up to 35 percent from the display.
- It features ultra-fine shutters and possesses multilayer optics.
- The dimensions of this privacy film or screen filter are 355mm*218mm.
- The privacy film comes in various thicknesses of 0.4mm, 0.45mm, and 0.6mm thick film.
- It allows you to access and enjoy your private text and bank account details while working from anywhere at any place.
- You can freely access your official and confidential files without worrying about the onlookers.
- As it blocks the side-views, you can view only the middle screen.
- It is suitable for all 15.6 inches laptops.
- It comes with transparent fixtures for fixing the privacy film on the laptop screen.
- No negative points were observed so far.
7. Kensington Privacy Screen
Kensington is a trendy brand. Their screens have special hard-coating narrows with improved visible improvement. Their textured surface reduces glare and improves contrast. They provide a variety of screens with a screen size of 15.6 to 22 inches.
- Limits viewing angle to 30° to both sides except the front, hiding sensitive personal or confidential information from prying eyes.
- Reduces harmful blue light by up to 35%.
- Can be installed using the included frameless tab holders or tape with double-side feature.
- Anti-reflective coating reduces glare and improves clarity.
- Anti-microbial coating decreases film degradation.
- Reversible with matte and glossy viewing options.
- Protects the monitor screen from scratches and damage.
- Cleaning cloth included.
- It is thin enough that it still allows your notebook to close and latch.
- In airplanes and such other close blocks, it prevents visual hackers from seeing on your screen.
- Protect the screen itself from scratches and smudges.
- It gets a little displaced at the edges.
8. Belkin True-Clear Screen Filter
Belkin is a reputable brand in the screen filter market. They provide mainly privacy filter for notebook, MacBook and Ultrabook. This is the best option in the low budget category.
- Flip sides allow you to choose between a matte touch-up or glossy finish.
- Side-view privacy blocks screen visibility from side angles.
- Optic-grade clarity ensures a crystal-clear viewing experience.
- Included protective folder for safe storage when not in use.
- Easy on-and-off micro-suction tabs for simple attachment.
- Anti-reflection allows optimal screen visibility.
- It does not have anti-smudge protection.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a screen filter work?
Screen filters are plastic sheets that are placed on the computer screen to maintain the confidentiality of data. When the laptop or desktop monitors are in a straight position, the only user can see the data, people who are on either side of the screen can not see the data and the screen will be dark. Also, the screens provide anti-glare and anti-scratch features.
2. What is the computer privacy screen?
Computer privacy screens are privacy filters or screen filters that come with anti-glare technology. They protect your eyes from strain and bright lights. Also, they maintain the confidentiality of the information and can be seen only from a certain angle.
3. Do computer privacy screens help your eyes?
Yes, the privacy screens come with the anti-glare feature. They help in reducing strain on your eyes. Also, the screen helps in reducing the bright light and UV light.
4. Why do you need a screen filter?
Screen filters require to prevent leakage of sensitive information and to protect your eyes.
Staring at a computer screen all day has become part and parcel of our professional and personal lives. A screen filter effectively prevents the symptoms of digital eye strains due to prolonged use of electronic devices like tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.
The anti-glare screen filters provide an effective solution to eye problems and result in improved viewing in challenging light conditions. Some screen filters serve as privacy filters as these help to keep your information safe from visual hacking.