7 Best Rocking Chairs
The origin of the rocking chair goes back to North America during the early 18th century. It was initially used in gardens as a simple chair with rockers attached to it. However, the credit for the invention of the rocking chair was at times given to the American inventor, Benjamin Franklin.
Nonetheless, it was President John F. Kennedy, who made the rocking chair of the P & P Chair Company famous. He used it to ease his back pain in 1955 after it was recommended to him by his physician. Hence, we see that the rocking chair has indeed come a long way.
Even today, it is used by many parents because the gentle rocking motion provides a soothing effect on infants. Adults too find the chair comfortable and soothing. The gentle motion ensures calmness to a person and also relieves stress. There are many other benefits of using a rocking chair which we shall discuss in this article.
A rocking chair is designed to include two curved bands attached at the bottom of the legs. These are known as rockers, and they connect the two legs of the chair to each other. The rockers come in contact with the floor at two points which allows you to rock, by pushing with your feet or shifting your weight.
There are different types of rocking chairs online. This article will help you find yourself a suitable rocking chair. We have provided a comprehensive buyer’s guide along with the detailed reviews of the top 7 rocking chairs. There is also a FAQ section provided at the end of this article to help you gain more knowledge about the rocking chair.
7 Best Rocking Chairs
Best Traditional Rocking Chair
The Eco-Friendly Rocking Chair
Comfortable Seating Position
Best Glider Rocking Chair
Benefits of Rocking Chair
Rocking chairs are comfortable to use. An authentically handcrafted rocking chair is a timeless piece of furniture that will blend in perfectly well with the aesthetics of your home decor. Apart from these, there are several other health benefits associated with the use of a rocking chair. Let us now take a look at some of these benefits.
Eases Arthritis and Back Pain:
Rocking on a rocking chair increases blood flow around the body. The increase in blood flow sends oxygen to the joints to ease the pain caused due to arthritis. It also helps in easing back pain by preventing back pain signals from reaching the brain.
Relaxes The Mind:
The gentle rocking motion of the rocking chair releases endorphins in the brain. This helps in relaxing and calming the mind while improving your mood. It also relieves stress and reduces anxiety.
Helps in Losing Weight:
A rocking chair helps in burning around 150 calories per hour. Hence, it is an excellent way of losing weight, especially for those who are unable to exercise regularly.
Beneficial For New Parents:
Rocking your child on a baby rocking chair provides him or her with a soothing and calming effect. This also helps you in putting the child to sleep.
Rocking on the rocking chair along with your little one will strengthen the bond between you and your baby. Research has proved that rocking enhances the social, cognitive, and motor skills of a baby.
Reduces Anxiety and Depression:
It helps in the reduction of anxiety and depression. Hence, a rocking chair also helps in fighting dementia as it helps in boosting the psychological and emotional well being of a person.
Types of Rocking Chair
Traditional Rocking Chair
The classic rocking chair has the basic design of a rocking chair. It comes with two curved bands to connect the two legs. You can move back and forth by shifting your weight or by pushing it with your feet. The simple design makes it less expensive than others.
Moreover, its authenticity manages to captivate most buyers. This type of chair is most commonly built using Sheesham wood or wicker. Hence, it is one of the most durable kinds of rocking chair available in the market. The only issue with it is space constraint and its lack of flexibility.
They are designed to resemble traditional rockers as they come with the arc-like bands at the bottom. However, the base of the chair is mounted with springs to cause the rocking motion. This makes the chair easy to use since you do not have to put too much effort into obtaining the gentle motion like in traditional rockers.
This is one of the most durable types of rocking chairs available. Spring rockers come with heavy upholstery and are padded. This makes it an expensive purchase.
Gliders differ in the mechanism of the rocking motion. It includes a set of levers and swivels to ensure movement back and forth, on a flat surface. Unlike, traditional rocking chairs it does not have curved bands or rockers shaped like an arc. Hence, they manage to take up less space and are also considered to be more comfortable.
The mechanism used for producing the gentle rocking motion makes this rocking chair expensive. The presence of moving parts makes it prone to breakage. Hence, they are not as durable as traditional rockers.
Many gliders and spring rockers may come with a reclining feature. The feature will enable you to recline the chair to a relaxed position. The recliners are incredibly comfortable and flexible. However, cost and durability may become a matter of concern.
Most commonly rocking chairs are made using wood, PVC, Rattan, or wicker. The upholstery comes heavily padded and is made using leather, fabrics, and vinyl.
Ensure that the primary wood used for the construction of the chair is Teak or Sheesham while the secondary material should be solid wood. The rocking chair with a honey or walnut finishing will add a fine shine to it. This makes it timeless and elegant.
Durable and Sturdy Construction
The rocking chair should have a sturdy and robust construction. You wouldn’t want a chair with lack of stability while rocking as it may lead to sudden falls and injuries.
The rocking chair made using high-quality wooden material ensures higher durability.Moreover, the chair with lesser moving parts like the traditional rocking chair and spring rockers are more long-lasting as they have lesser chances of breakage.
Size and Height
The size of the rocking chair should be suitable for placement in your living room, garden, or lawn. Consider the space available in your home for the chair before making a purchase. It should be able to fit perfectly well into the desired space of your home.
The height of the rocking chair is also an essential factor to consider. Go for a height that will ensure a comfortable seating position. Moreover, a rocking chair with a height that meets your requirement will enable you to get back on your feet conveniently.
Easy to Maintain
If you want your rocking chair to last for the years to come, you will need to maintain and take proper care of it. Hence, go for a chair that is easy to maintain.
A rocking chair that can be cleaned using a damp cloth or wiped using a dry cloth should be preferred. The cushion of the rocking chair should be machine washable for your convenience.
Know the design or the types of the rocking chair before you decide on buying one for your home. Choose a traditional rocking chair if you wish to maintain the authenticity of the furniture. The traditional rocking chair is more cost-efficient and durable.
A more comfortable and high-end option would be gliders and reclining rockers. Spring rockers will be similar in design to traditional rockers but it will be easier to use.
Easy to Assemble
A rocking chair that comes pre-assembled is a preferable option. It saves you the time and energy of having to assemble the rocking chair. However, if the rocking chair you wish to buy is not available in an assembled state, ensure that it is at least easy to assemble.
The rocking chair that comes with cushions is more comfortable to use. The cushion should be padded well and should be filled using a mix of cotton, fibers, and other synthetic material. Also, an attractive and bright colored cushion will add to the overall look of the rocking chair and your home.
1. Corazzin Sheesham Wood Rocking Chair – Our Pick
Corazzin Wood is a well-known furniture brand that is available on Amazon. The brand uses wood harvested from the renewable resources of the country, to produce a wide range of furniture including- bed, bookshelves, chairs, tables, etc.
The contemporary designed, Corazzin Wood rocking chair is made from Sheesham and solid wood. Hence, it has a sturdy and heavy construction. The rocking chair is available with different colored cushions, and it also features a walnut finishing, adding to its overall authentically crafted rural design.
- Inner seating dimensions (Length x Depth): 28 x 28 inches, Outer dimensions when assembled (Length x Depth): 25 x 40 inches.
- Seating height of the rocking chair is 18 inches.
- Comes with a cushion.
- The primary material used for construction is Sheesham wood, while the secondary material is solid wood.
- Authentically handcrafted and hand-painted by the artisans in India using antique rural artwork.
- The chair is reliable and durable.
- Has a heavy and sturdy construction.
- It is not very comfortable.
2. Shilpi Hand Carved Rocking Chair – Best Traditional Rocking Chair
Shilpi is a leading online seller brand that deals with the manufacture of home decor, gift items, handicrafts, and furnishing. The brand has 25 years of experience in producing high-quality wood products. This rocking chair is a beautiful and timeless piece of furniture handcrafted by Shilpi.
The traditional rocking chair is built using Sheesham wood and polished using a walnut color polish. This is an exclusive, modern, and stylish piece of furniture that will elevate the overall authentic look of any household. The chair provides a perfect body posture and produces a gentle rocking motion. It also comes with an armrest and leg rest to enhance your relaxation.
- Dimensions of the rocking chair (Length x Width x Height): 24 x 39 x 45 inches.
- It comes with a maximum load capacity of 100 Kg.
- Constructed using pure Sheesham wood.
- Has a walnut color polishing.
- Features a leg rest and armrest for relaxation.
- Durable and strong construction.
- It provides a gentle rocking motion while ensuring a perfect body posture.
- Easy maintenance as it needs to be wiped using a dry cloth.
- Comes in a pre-assembled state.
- The finishing of the chair is not up to the mark.
3. MP Enterprises Rocking Chair – Stylish Design
The MP Enterprises Wooden Rocking Chair comes with a comfy blue cushion, to provide you the best rocking experience. It helps in relaxing your mind and eases back pain. You can also easily carry this chair from one place to another to fit into your space. The honey finishing along with the stylish and elegant design blends well with the modern decor of your home.
- Dimensions (Length x Width x Height): 85 x 85 x 75 cm.
- Made using wood.
- Comes with a blue cushion.
- Has a honey finishing.
- Fits well into your space at home.
- Easy to assemble and dismantle, making it a portable option.
- Strong, durable, and stylish construction.
- Helps in relaxing back pain and mind.
- Affordable option.
- Quality of wood could be better.
4. IRA Furniture Rattan Rocking Chair – The Eco-Friendly Rocking Chair
This light-weight multiple setting rocking chairs can be placed in your living room, garden or lawn. It is handcrafted beautifully using Rattan and wicker.
The chair also comes with a brightly colored cushion that is filled with a mix of synthetic fibers, synthetic material, and cotton. The Eco-friendly rocking chair comes in a ready to use the form, saving you the hassle of assembling.
- Dimensions of this rocking chair (Length x Width x Height): 45 x 23.5 x 40 inches.
- The primary material used for construction is Rattan and wicker.
- Comes with a cushion filled with a mix of cotton, synthetic fiber, and synthetic material.
- Made in India.
- Can be placed in the living room, lawn, or garden.
- Hand made using 100% Eco-friendly material.
- Easy to maintain, as it just needs to be cleaned using a damp cloth or a vacuum cleaner.
- The polish lasts for many years.
- It does not have to be assembled.
- Does not come with a warranty.
- The cushion is not washable.
5. Shilpi Wooden Rocking Chair – Comfortable Seating Position
The antique, beautifully crafted Sheesham wood rocking chair comes with a height that ensures a comfortable seating position. It also enables you to get back on your feet conveniently. Hence, it saves you the hassle of having to assemble the entire rocking chair.
Moreover, the relaxing chair is comfortable to use. The superior quality build with a premium finishing ensures durability to the product.
- The rocking chair/relax chair/easy chair comes in an assembled state.
- Dimensions (Length x Breadth x height): 24 x 24 x 40 inches, sitting size: 22 x 22 inches.
- The approximate weight of this chair is 35-40 kg.
- Made using seasoned Sheesham wood.
- The chair is delivered to you in a pre-assembled state.
- The upholstery material is leather.
- Color: brown and style: antique.
- It has a height suitable for a comfortable seating position.
- The chair helps you to get back on your feet easily.
- Easy to maintain by cleaning with a dry cloth.
- Comfortable and superior quality build.
- No negative points were seen so far.
6. Worthy Shoppee Rocking Chair – Portable Design
This rocking chair features an armrest and footrest, ensuring a comfortable and relaxed seating position. The chair is constructed using high-quality wood and wrought iron. Hence, it is sturdy, strong and durable, making it a reliable option to consider going for.
The best feature of this rocking chair is its foldable design, which allows you to carry it wherever you want. Rocking on this rocking chair, massages your back, and also manages to heal your mind.
- Dimensions of this rocking chair are 37 x 43 x 24 inches.
- The material used for construction: high quality seasoned wood and wrought iron.
- Helps in massaging back and heals body and mind.
- Comes with an armrest and footrest.
- Easy to dismantle.
- Portable and fold-able design enable you to carry it from one place to another.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Good quality, strong, and sturdy construction.
- The finishing could have been better
- Makes creaking noise while rocking
7. Gomati Woods Rocking Chair – Best Glider Rocking Chair
The Gomati Woods luxury chair is a glider rocking chair that is made using 100% pure teak. The chair is constructed to be strong and durable, with a hidden screw and no leg crush design. The smooth and effortless forward and backward motion of the chair along with its comfortable design, will ensure a relaxed seating position. It also comes with a natural color finishing, making it a stand out piece of furniture.
- This is a glider rocking chair.
- Size of chair: 39 x 23 inches.
- The maximum load capacity of chair: 120 kg.
- Made using 100% pure teak wood.
- Natural color polishing.
- The hidden screw and no leg crush design ensures a relaxed seating position.
- Six months warranty (the wood polish is not included in the warranty).
- Ensures a smooth and effortless forward and backward movement.
- Strong and durable construction.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It is very comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you burn calories by rocking in a rocking chair?
A rocking chair is ideal for anyone unable to exercise regularly. It is said that rocking in a rocking chair can burn 150 calories per hour.
2. Who invented the rocking chair?
The rocking chair is known to be invented by the American inventor, Benjamin Franklin. However, the origin of the rocking chair traces back to North America, during the early 18th century. They were originally simple chairs with attached rockers, used in gardens.
3. Why does rocking a baby in a rocking chair put the baby to sleep?
Rocking a baby on a rocking chair helps in calming him or her down. The gentle rocking motion of the chair soothes the baby, which further fosters sleep. Hence, it is used by most parents to put their baby to sleep. Hammocks also provide a similar effect on babies.
4. Are rocking chairs healthy?
Rocking in a rocking chair is considered to be a mild form of physical exercise. People can benefit from it as it helps in improving both physical and mental health. Rocking chairs are considered beneficial for those suffering from mental conditions like dementia, Alzheimer’s. It is also helpful for physical health issues, such as arthritis and back pain.
5. Is Rocking Chair good for pregnancy?
Rocking on the rocking chair is considered stress relieving and relaxing for pregnant women. The rocking motion helps in calming the person down. It is also soothing and calming for the baby.
A rocking chair not only acts as a timeless and elegant piece of furniture that enhances the overall aesthetics of your home decor. There are several benefits associated with it. Hence, this is one such furniture you must consider having in your home.
The comprehensive buyer’s guide explains all the essential factors; which you must take into consideration while buying. This will ease your task of choosing. You can go for any of the top 7 rocking chairs available on amazon.
The Corazzin Wood Sheesham Wood Rocking Chair is our number one pick, because of its contemporary design. If you wish to go for a traditional rocking chair, the Shilpi Aamazing Hand Carved Rocking Chair would be a good option.
With this, we come to the end of this article. We hope that you find a beautifully crafted, comfortable rocking chair for your home.