10 Best Refrigerators
No more worrying about your food items being spoiled. Bring refrigerators to your home. It is necessary to store the food items for a longer time and to keep them fresh with this busy lifestyle. The first refrigerator for the home purpose was invented in 1913. Over a period of time, they became the necessity for every home.
A refrigerator is a specially designed appliance that allows the food to be cool and avoid spoiling the food. It is commonly known as a fridge. For your food to store the ideal temperature is 3 degree Celsius to 5 degree Celsius. Also, some fridge comes with a special compartment called freezer that maintains the temperature below water freezing point.
Initially, a fridge with basic provision of storing foodstuff was invented With the increase in technology and with the increase in demand for more features in refrigerators, different features are included. We have a wide range of refrigerators available in the market that can help to store your food items like veggies to meat and also provide chilled water and ice cubes.
Are you still worried about how it really helps and what are the things to consider while buying? Now, this article helps you to know better about different types of refrigerators, why is a refrigerator essential, maintenance tips, how a fridge works and Our 10 Best Picks as well as a few FAQ.
10 Best Refrigerators
Our Best Pick
One-hour Icing Technology
How does the Refrigerator work?
A refrigerator works with the simple technique of removing heat from the items placed inside the fridge and making them cool. In this process, so many components or parts are involved. A refrigerator includes a compressor, heat exchange coils- one inside and another outside, expansion valve and refrigerant (a gas that helps in cooling).
When you place a food item in the fridge, the inside coil absorbs or remove heat from the food item, and the refrigerant flows to the compressor. Heat gas is sent to the external coil, and then the gas flows back to the expansion valve. Once the gas reaches the expansion valve due to the pressure drop, it becomes cool gas.
This cool gas is sent inside the fridge by removing the heat from the food items. Thus, the process repeats to keeps the food items fresh, cool.
Why Refrigerator Is Essential, and What Helps to Keep the Food Items Fresh?
Refrigerator helps in keeping the food items fresh for a longer duration of time. It aids the bacteria to develop slowly. For example, if you place a glass of milk on your kitchen top, it takes hardly hours to get spoiled. Rather if you place the same glass of milk in the fridge, it will last for at least a week.
Also, the refrigerator helps in obtaining chilled water, ice cubes easily. Ice cubes can be obtained from the freezer compartment. Moreover, the refrigerator helps in stocking the beverages you needed. Now, with the fridge, you can easily grab your beverage even at midnight and not necessary to rush to stores to have it.
To keep all your necessary food items fresh you need a refrigerator, and it helps in reducing the hot temperature or room temperature into cool or cold temperature. The cool temperature around your food items in the fridge makes to stay fresh for a longer duration of time. At any point in time if the refrigerant or coolant does not work or compressor does not work, then the food items placed in the fridge won’t stay fresh for a longer duration of time.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Refrigerators
Always clean inside of the fridge weekly. Use a damp cloth to wipe the shelves, front door, and top, sides of the fridge, leaving backside of the fridge. If the shelves can be removed for washing, then wash them thoroughly. The cleaner your fridge is it works better. Defrost is one key feature to be considered while cleaning.
If your fridge has the facility of auto-defrost, then defrosting will be taken care of by your fridge. For every 8 to 10 hours, your fridge heats up coiling coils to remove the accumulated frost. Otherwise, for a manual defrost, you need to unplug and allow the frost to melt out completely. Few fridges come with an option of melting the frost on pressing a button.
Gaskets that seal the door must be cleaned regularly and ensure that it is not loose. Clean the external coils yearly once to remove dirt or dust. The coils must be neat for proper flow of the gas, and it becomes hard to remove the heat and provide cool gas. Water filtration must be replaced as per the expiry date.
- Never place warm milk or warm food item in the fridge as it takes more compressor running time
- Allow the food items to obtain room temperature before placing them in the fridge
- Always clean your fridge regularly
- When the bulb inside needs to be replaced do it immediately
- Never open the door for a longer period of time
- Finally, maintain proper temperature settings as per the climate outside
Various Types of Refrigerators
It is the traditional fridge with the top portion of the refrigerator. It is dedicated to the freezer compartment. They are more energy efficient when compared to bottom freezer fridge. Also, top-freezer are cheaper and economical to run. Moreover, it is the most common easily available fridge. Also, the top-freezer are easy to access and convenient to use.
A top-freezer includes double door, one door for the freezer compartment and other for the storage compartment. The top-freezer fridge does not have more features. Also, the top-freezer fridges have less stylish looks to other fridges. If you are more concerned about the electricity bill, then a top-freezer fridge is ideal. Also, it is best for a smaller family.
The bottom-freezer fridge is expensive than a top-freezer fridge, and also less range of products are available. A bottom-freezer fridge has double door one for bottom freezer compartment and other for the storage compartment. Also, they are less efficient compared to the top-freezer fridge.The advantage of having a bottom-freezer fridge is the storage part meets the eye level, and you do not need to bend while picking the items.
The side-by-side fridge has both the freezer and storage compartment of the same height and to side-y-side. They provide easy accessibility of picking the stored items either from the freezer or storage compartment. Yet they are not considered as efficient as other fridges. Usually, a side-by-side fridge has additional water or ice dispenser. Some are designed in such a way by providing user interface panel.
Also, the side-by-side fridge is slim when compared to traditional models. The doors open from the center rather than by sidewards. It is not mandatory that the side-by-side fridge has equal space allocated for the freezer and storage compartment. It varies depending on the brand and design of the fridge. Some fridge comes with equal space for freezer and storage while some fridge comes with little extra space for storage than the freezer.
French Door Fridge
French door fridges are gaining more popularity in the modern kitchen. They have a lot of storage space and a freezer compartment. It is the combination of a side-by-side fridge and bottom freezer fridge. They may or may not be having water or ice dispenser at the front, and it purely depends on the design of the fridge.
Also, some of the french door fridges will be having doors even at the bottom end instead of a drawer. They provide the flexibility of adjustable shelves or flip-up shelves. Now, you can open only one door of the storage compartment instead of two doors. A French door fridge is expensive and versatile to other fridges. Also, they are space efficient and energy efficient
A counter-depth fridge is a shallow refrigerator and fits exactly in the kitchen. A counter-depth fridge requires an inch space around the fridge for not to overheat. They are ideal for kitchens with less space. Counter-depth fridges vary only in size but not in the style or design. Also, they are slim when compared to standard-depth fridges.
The height, width, and depth will vary from model to model. However, a counter-depth fridge may provide the features of the bottom freezer or french-door or side-by-side fridge. They provide an integrated look to your kitchen.
Mini Fridge or Under-Counter fridge
The mini fridges are ideal for the bedroom or for small apartments or small spaces or office. They have lower storage capacity, and many use this fridge as additional storage fridge. Also, very rare mini fridges have the feature of the freezer compartment. The mini fridge can also be used for storing beverages or snacks.
The mini fridge is easy to transport and cost less when compared to other fridges. If you are leaving alone in an apartment and space is less, then the mini fridge is ideal to buy. Many place them under the counter or in a cabinet place.
Single Door/Freezer Less
A single door or freezer less fridge does not have a separate compartment for the freezer. These fridges are ideal for people who look for less frozen foods. Also, this fridge is for people who bring their groceries regularly. As the name suggests, this fridge has a single door and space is provided for both storage and freezer at one place. Moreover, the single door fridge is an efficient fridge and is ideal for small kitchen space or a small family.
The Capacity of the Fridge
A refrigerator is available in the market with different capacities. The fridge you pick up must have the capacity that satisfies all your requirement. However, some fridges come with greater freezer storage while some with greater vegetable storage capacity. Suppose, your diet includes lots of meat to be consumed then fridge with more freezer storage is the ideal one. As it needs to be stored in a chilled place to stay fresh. A fridge with more vegetable storage space is ideal if you stock up all the veggies on a weekly basis.
The capacity of the refrigerator is measured in terms of litres, and on average, a small family needs a fridge with 180L to 280L. It determines how much stuff or how many numbers of items you can store and consume. The accurate capacity of the fridge for the accurate size of the family will consume efficient energy. Otherwise, your fridge will be overloaded or left with empty space, and energy consumption will not be efficient.
Type of the Fridge
As we have seen, various types of refrigerators are available in the market. A single door refrigerator is best if the size of the family is two. If you are looking for a separate freezer compartment, then double door refrigerator serves the purpose. However, we have a top freezer compartment fridge and bottom freezer compartment fridge. The top freezer is the traditional fridge. While a bottom freezer is best if you hate to bend each time you pick a vegetable from the fridge.
Also, side-by-side fridge, french bottom mount fridge, multi-door fridge, door-in-door fridge are gaining more popularity. Each type of fridge has its own advantage and serves its purpose. However, the type of fridge you select must match your daily using needs.
We have refrigerators available in the market with both the features like manual defrost and auto defrost. Generally, a basic model of fridge comes with a manual defrosting option. In this type of fridge, you need to remove the formed ice from the fridge either by clicking a button or switching off the fridge by allowing build-up ice to melt.
While automatic defrosting is available in all types of fridges. This really helps you to melt built-up ice or accumulated ice hassle free. You fridge works for you, and it takes care of melting the accumulated ice. Also, they maintain consistent temperature throughout the fridge.
Power Consumption and Star Ratings
Every fridge comes with star ratings that are indicated on the fridge. Usually, your fridge is rated from one to five. One is the least efficient, and five is the most efficient. The maximum number of stars, less power consumption while the least number of stars, more power consumption. These efficient energy ratings are provided by BEE. If you are worried about the electricity bill then higher star rating fridge is the ideal one to pick.
Water and Ice Dispenser
Modern refrigerators are coming with many interesting features. Water and Ice dispenser feature is the one interesting feature. Now, with this feature, you can fill your glass with chilled water without even opening the fridge doors. Also, you can have ice cubes or crushed ice directly into a can or container. The fridge that has water and ice dispenser feature comes with a separate provision to fill your glass of water easily or take the ice easily.
Apart from frost free, water and ice dispenser some fridge also has some exciting features like LED panel, door-in-door, knock and see. LED panel is provided for controlling the temperature settings from outside. While a door-in-door feature helps to pick the stored items that are only necessary and by not completely opening the door. Also, knock and see is another exciting feature that helps to know the items stored inside without even opening the door and by simply knocking the door twice.
1. Lg 668 L Frost Free Side-by-side Instaview Door-in-door Refrigerator – Our Best Pick
LG Electronics, a leading multinational company founded in the year 1958. Home entertainment, mobile communications, home appliances, and air solutions, vehicle components are their business units. Their wide range of quality products includes mobiles, monitors, washing machines, microwave ovens, and much more.
Now, you can control your fridge with LG smartThinQ from anywhere. The frost-free side-by-side door fridge has the 668L capacity. Now, you can have chilled water or ice cubes or crushed ice with the separate water/ice dispenser. Sleek mirrored glass helps to see the items inside the fridge by not opening it. Digital sensors help in keeping the optimum temperature in the fridge, and when the warmer temperature is noticed, the fridge doors are opened automatically.
- The product comes with one year warranty and ten years compressor warranty
- Frost free side by side door fridge has 668L capacity
- Refrigerator try to be odor free with 5-step antibacterial deodorization
- Inverter linear compressor helps in reducing the noise level and saves the energy
- Separate water and ice dispenser is provided
- Quick freezing option with continuous compressor operation
- For proper cooling airflow multi cooling vents are provided
- LG smartThinQ app lets you control fridge from the phone itself.
- Spacious storage to store all kinds of fruits and veggies.
- Offers Crushed ice and cubed ice in less amount of time.
- Without actually opening the door, you can see the items with Instaview door-in-door.
- It has a sleek mirrored glass that illuminates when it is knocked twice
- No cons found
2. Bpl 564 L Frost Free Side-by-side Refrigerator– Touch Button
BPL established in the year 1963. Initially, they manufactured electrocardiograph machines and panel meters. Later in the year 1990, they provided televisions, washing machines, refrigerators with high quality. In 2013, BPL started home automation. The company is constantly providing high-quality products with new technology.
BPL frost free fridge comes with touch button panel that helps in controlling the temperature. It has silent operation technology that helps in functioning quietly. A water dispenser is provided to have chilled water without opening the fridge door. The fridge comes with well-organized door pockets and spacious drawers to store food.
- BPL frost free fridge has the capacity of 564L
- It comes with quick cool technology where the food items cool quickly and last long
- The quick freeze technology allows you to enjoy ice cubes within a shorter period of time
- Now, you can access and control temperature settings with the help of intelligent LED touch button
- Every shelf is provided with vents that allow air-flow evenly and accurately
- Pull-out drawers are provided to store more amount of fruits or vegetables
- The product comes with a one-year warranty and five-year compressor warranty
- Lots of space for the efficient organization of food items, ideal for a large family
- Good lighting inside the fridge easy to spot anything inside.
- Noise level is less letting you sleep in peace at night.
- Toughened glass shelves are included to carry good weight
- Few customers have stated that there was some problem with water dispenser
3. Whirlpool 570l Frost Free Multi-door Refrigerator – Customized Temperature
Whirlpool is a renowned company founded in 1911. It is the American multinational company, and in the year 1980, Whirlpool entered in India. It is the leading manufacturer and marketer in home appliances. Their wide range of products includes refrigerators, purification, laundry, air conditioning, commercial appliances, and much more.
Whirlpool 702 french door bottom fridge has the capacity of 570L. It has automatic crisp ice feature with ice maker. Now, you can have ice quickly by just adding water to the compartment. LED control panel with one-touch access is provided for temperature control. The fridge ensures high moisture retention technology to keep the items fresh for a longer time.
- The product has a one year warranty and ten years compressor warranty
- Two drawers are provided at the bottom for easy access
- It has toughened glass shelves
- The capacity of the fridge is 570L
- With DCDA (Dual Cycle Dual Air) your food items stay fresh for a longer time and remove the odor
- Also, the fridge provides fresh UV light to remove pesticides and other harmful things from the fruits and vegetables
- To obtain efficient cooling, save energy, DC inverter compressor is used. Also, it helps in adjusting cooling as per the requirement
- Multiple storage options makes it easy to store in organised way.
- Easily accessible drawers
- Higher moisture retention allowing food items to stay fresh
- No water dispenser.
4. Panasonic 307 L 3 Star Inverter Frost-free Double-door Refrigerator – Bacteria Free
Panasonic is formerly known as Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. It was founded in the year 1918. It is the Japanese leading multinational company. Their products include refrigerators, cameras, washing machine, air conditioner, etc. Panasonic designated India as a regional hub.
The fridge has 307 l capacity where 35l of storage is provided for fruits and vegetables. Organised door pockets to store the goods horizontally and vertically. Humidity control slider is provided to adjust as per the fruits and vegetable stored. For eliminating bacteria inside the fridge AG, clean technology is used. Convenient storage and efficient storage can be obtained with the help of adjustable toughened glass shelves.
- Double door 307l Panasonic fridge comes with one year warranty on product and ten-year warranty on compressor
- It has a three-star energy efficient rating
- Offers AG clean technology eliminates bacteria, molds and other harmful organisms
- Panasonic fridge is based on Econavi technology. The Econavi sensors avoid energy wastage and detect to maintain ideal cooling
- For optimized cooling, inverter technology is used
- To provide simultaneous cooling in the freezer compartment and storage compartment advanced mechanism is used and independent air flow is provided
- With 35 L Veg Jumbo Storage, there is Enough storage space
- Smart cooling sensors help with much faster cooling.
- Humidity Control features lets you keep food items fresh.
- Good finishing, design blends in with kitchen interiors
- The frost free fridge comes with toughened glass shelves
- Would not suffice a large family.
5. Godrej 311 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator – Economical Fridge
Godrej is an Indian company established in 1897. They introduced first lock with lever technology. Also, they ware first to produce safe lockers. Their operations are in different sectors like appliances, industrial engineering, consumer products, agriculture products, and more. Their first refrigerators were started in 1958.
The 3-star rating top freezer fridge is well-designed. It has the capacity of 311L. Easy access twist ice tray is provided in the freezer compartment. For organized storage of items, specially designed boxes are provided to the door. Energy efficient fridge comes with a user manual and warranty card.
- The product comes with a one-year warranty and a 10-year compressor warranty
- The capacity of the fridge is 311L
- The frost-free double door fridge comes with a user manual and warranty card
- It has toughened glass shelves that can be adjusted as per requirement
- Separate freezer compartment
- Product is worth for money
- Quick access well-designed pockets on the door
- Finishing of the product is good
- It is ideal for a family with 4 members
- Not available in many colors or design.
6. Whirlpool 240 L Frost Free Multi-door Refrigerator – Organized Storage
In India Whirlpool entered in the year 1980. Whirlpool is known worldwide and is widespread across the globe. It is the leading manufacturer and marketer. It is the American multinational company and founded in the year 1911. Their products include air purifiers, dishwashers, washing machines, small appliances, and much more.
The multi-door frost free fridge prevents excessive ripening of fruits and vegetables with zeolite technology. Moisture retention technology and air booster system helps in the proper flow of cool air and keeping each compartment with precise cooling. For longer life protection, additional Microblock technology is used.
- Frost free defrosting system does not build up any ice
- It claims that the fridge consumes less energy than CFL
- The capacity of the fridge is 240L
- Well organized storage compartments with separate doors
- Zeolite Technology Prevents excessive ripening of fruits and vegetables maintaining the freshness
- The fridge has toughened adjustable glass shelves
- Exclusive bottom drawer for fruits and vegetables
- It has an air booster system that helps to provide even cooling and flow of cool air in each compartment
- MicroBlock Technology A special anti-microbial additive helps in preventing up to 99.9% microbes
- Energy consumption is less means less electricity bill.
- Excellent built quality and has good finishing
- Vegetable shelf drips more water
- A user experienced sound from the motor
7. Lg 260 L 4 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator – Smart Connect
LG Electronics was founded in the year 1958. It is a South Korean multinational company. They have four business units, namely home entertainment, mobile communications, home appliances, and air solutions, vehicle components. List of their products includes mobiles, monitors, washing machines, microwave ovens, and much more.
The double door frost-free fridge comes with a one-year product warranty and 9-year comprehensive compressor warranty. Air vents provide proper flow of air and cooling effect. To keep the foodstuff fresh for longer time smart inverter compressor is provided.
- The frost-free fridge has the capacity of 260L
- The product has a one-year warranty and 10 years on compressor
- It has a 4-star energy efficient rating
- For even distribution of airflow, the product comes with multi air flow cooling
- Also, it has a smart diagnosis feature that helps to resolve any problem quickly
- To maintain an optimal level of moisture the box comes with lattice-pattern
- Power saving fridge
- No additional stabilizer required
- Enough storage space is provided
- A user experienced water leakage problem
8. Lg 190 L 4 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator – Attractive
The South Korean multinational company was founded in 1958. Home entertainment, mobile communications, home appliances, and air solutions, vehicle components are their business units. Their products include mobiles, monitors, washing machines, microwave ovens, and much more. All their products maintain high-quality.
LG direct cool refrigerator has a one-year product warranty and a 10-year compressor warranty. It has attractive print over the body. It comes with toughened glass shelves, and the fridge connects to inverter automatically during power cuts. It is an energy efficient fridge with four stars. The anti-bacterial gasket is included to keep your foodstuff bacteria free.
- The fridge comes with smart connect feature. It works even during power cuts by connecting to the inverter
- It has a 4-star energy efficient rating
- Toughened glass shelves are provided and can resist up to 175kg
- The direct cool refrigerator can make the ice in 108 minutes
- The lattice-type box cover is provided to maintain optimum temperature
- An anti-bacterial gasket is included, and the fridge is stabilizer-free
- The product comes with a user manual and a warranty card
- Quick cooling and fast ice save time and efforts.
- Noise-free for a peaceful sleep at night.
- worth for money
- Ice trays size smaller than average
9. Haier 320 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator – One-hour Icing Technology
Haier Group Corporation, founded in 1984. It is the Chinese multinational electronics and home appliances company. It is the leading home appliance company with innovative technology products. Their consumer products include a washing machine, refrigerator, air conditioner, water heaters, TV, microwave ovens. While commercial products include commercial air conditioning and freezers.
Haier bottom mount fridge has 360 degrees cooling technology. It comes with toughened glass shelves and twin twist tray for ice. Also, the fridge is stabilizer-free and works well, even during power fluctuations. Now, a new LED light is provided that provides brightness in the complete fridge.
- The capacity of the double door fridge is 320L
- Can obtain ice within an hour
- Bottom mount freezer reduces bending by 90%
- Even while power cut the cooling is provided until 10 hours
- It has a 3-star energy efficient rating
- Spacious storage compartment and freezer compartment
- Comes with good finishing
- Led light for clear visibility
- With the help of bottle guard, you can store big bottles and cans easily
- Quality of the vegetable container can be improved
10. Whirlpool 190 L 3 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator – Small Family
Whirlpool is the 100plus years old company and founded in the year 1911. Whirlpool entered India in the year 1980. Their vision is to provide the best consumer products. All their products maintain high quality and include dishwasher, washing machine, air purifier, hand blenders, juicers, toasters, etc.
The blue colored whirlpool single door fridge comes with a one-year product warranty and 5 years compressor warranty. It is capable of providing 9 hours of cooling even during power cuts. The fridge has wired adjustable shelves, and enough space is provided for storage purpose. Now, you can store 2 litres bottles easily in a separate rack. Also, advanced moisture slider is provided to keep the vegetables fresh for a longer duration of time.
- The fridge is available in different colors
- The capacity of the fridge is 190l
- It comes with one year warranty on product and five years on compressor
- It requires manual defrosting, and cooling type is direct cooling
- The single door economically designed fridge for easy use.
- It has thick metal adjustable shelves
- It provides nine hours of cooling during power cuts
- Also, the fridge has an in-built stabilizer
- For easy cleaning, the fridge comes with a removable anti-bacterial gasket
- A separate chiller space is provided for keeping milk packets and cans
- Has wired shelves that are durable and can hold weight easily.
- Comes with a good storage capacity
- It is energy efficient making a huge difference in the electricity bill
- Honeycomb moisture lock-in technology maintains moisture in veggies keeping them fresher for longer.
- Needs manual defrost for every three days
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the size of the refrigerator affect electricity consumption?
Yes, it affects. Many people feel that an empty or half-filled fridge consume less electricity bill. Yet it is vice versa a full-fridge consume less electricity bill than a half-filled or empty fridge. Also, if the size of the fridge is bigger than your essential litres than the consumption also increases. On an average, you fridge may consume 0.5 to 1 unit depending upon the capacity. If your family is small and you need little space to stock your food items, then a small to medium sized fridge is ideal.
2. What does the star rating of the fridge indicate?
Every refrigerator comes with the star ratings, and it is indicated on a scale of 5 where 5 star is the most efficient fridge followed by 4 stars and then 3 stars,2 stars, 1 star. A fridge that has 5 stars consume less energy, and eventually, less electricity bill is produced. The efficient energy ratings are provided by BEE(Bureau of Energy Efficient).
3. Does every fridge need a stabilizer?
Not necessarily. Modern refrigerators are coming with in-built stabilizers. These stabilizers help in power fluctuations and thus you need to use the stabilizer only if your fridge does not have an in-built stabilizer.
If you have come to the end part of the article, then you are definitely planning for a refrigerator. I hope this article has provided good information and the required information for you. After a good research, we have chosen LG knock and see fridge as the best fridge with all the exciting features. If you are looking for a fridge where you can store your stuff in an organized way, then a multi-door Whirlpool refrigerator is the ideal one.
Lazy to bend for picking the veggies then Haier bottom freezer fridge serves the purpose. Also, the fridge has a child lock facility that helps when kids are around. Your family size is small, and if you bring your veggies for every two days, then a basic fridge from whirlpool is the ideal one.