Projector Screens Review
When you purchase a projector, there are few things that you need such as a projector screen. Many prefer to use projector paint on their wall instead of a screen but it will affect the quality of the image.
To avoid these issues, getting a projector screen is your best bet. A projector screen is usually easy to install and is available in varying designs for different purposes.
To get the best out of your projector, a projector screen is very essential so you can experience viewing in the best resolution.
This article will further explain projector screens in detail, their working, features, various types available on the market, frequently asked questions, and most importantly our recommended top 9 projector screens in the market.
Top 9 Projector Screens
Best eye protection with anti UV coating
Best option for different media sources
Tripod stand projector
What Is a Projector Screen?
A projection screen is used in displaying the images that are projected from a projector. It usually consists of a surface and a form of support. In most cases, the surface is a material that reflects light.
The two common material colors available for the screen are white and gray. There may also be variances in the shape of the screen including a flat and a curved screen.
There are different types of projector screens available. The choice you will make often depends on if you want – a permanent installation or a temporary installation.
How Does a Projector Screen Work?
A projector screen functions in two different ways. It can either be as a
- Front projection screen
- Rear projection screen
The front projection screen functions by implementing the diffuse reflection of light. Diffuse reflection implies that when a ray of light hits the surface of the screen, it will scatter the ray in various directions.
By scattering the rays in various directions, it becomes possible to view the rays from different angles. It explains why you can see the projection screen image from different positions in the same room.
The rear projection screen functions in a very simple manner. In this case, the projection screen will diffuse the ray of light through the material in different directions.
Types of Projector Screens
Electric Projector Screen
When you need to get a projector screen, there are lots of options available.
Electric projector screens are great for users who intend to save space. The mounting of these projector screens can be on the wall, ceiling, or floor.
The projector screen can be folded when not in use. As a result, it appears there is no projector screen installed.
These projector screens usually have a remote control for easy operation. In most cases where an electric projector is in use, there is a large area dedicated to the installation of the screen. It is also common in places requiring large screens.
The mounted screen is the best option if you will be moving the screen around often.
The recessed screen is suitable for places where there is no intention of moving the screen. For most of the common electric projector screen available, they operate on 100- 200 volts.
Manual Projector Screens
In place of an electric motor to roll the screen up or down, manual projector screens feature a pulley. The pulley is usually on the lower part of the screen and it allows users to pull the screen up or down.
This type of screen comes at a much lower cost. The cost also varies depending on the choice of a user.
Users can choose from a non-tensioned screen which is much cheaper or a tensioned screen that costs more. It also requires minimal maintenance since there is no motor or parts that wear with time.
These screens can be ceiling recessed-mounted, ceiling-mounted, or wall-mounted. The screen type is popular in classroom settings.
Fixed projector screens
These are the best options for high-quality home theater systems. It is also used for commercial purposes. The durability and long-lasting life of these fixed projector screens make them a great choice for home theater use.
As fixed frame screens, it is not possible to roll the screen up after use. They are fixed in a permanent rolled down position. As a result, there is no sign of wrinkles or bends on the screen during use.
Another great feature of the fixed frame screens is the variety of screen materials to choose from. The various screen types available make it possible to select a screen that will produce the best picture quality when in use.
Inflatable projector screens
Just like the name implies, these screens are inflatable. They are self-inflating and are available at prices that are very affordable.
The design of the inflatable screen uses materials that are durable and strong enough to withstand outdoor weather conditions.
These screens usually have an adjustable viewing angle that makes them suitable for use when there are guests scattered around.
Tripod projector screens
As the name implies, these projector screens feature a tripod stand. It is a type of portable projector screen. The main benefit of portable screens is the opportunity for users to utilize the screen in various locations.
The screens are quite easy to set up. Users simply need to open the tripod stand to ensure it is balanced. The tripod stand will have a rod that extends upward from its center to which you will attach the top of the screen.
These screens are cheap, portable, and long-lasting.
Floor rising screens
This is a projector screen that doesn’t require any form of assembly.
It is a one-piece design that is not as bulky as the tripod projector screens. Setting up and taking down the screen is also a lot easier in addition to its lightweight quality.
To make it easy to carry the screen around, there is a handle on the base of the screen, and this replaces the need for a carry case. For sturdiness when it is set up, the screen includes a spring roller mounted on the back that rises along with the screen.
Features to Consider
When selecting a projector and a projector screen, a very important factor to consider is the size of the room.
One factor that limits the size of a projector image is the height of the screen. There are various reasons why height is an important consideration.
A projector screen with a base very close to the floor will suffer from interference. It may hinder the placement of the center channel speaker in the room.
You may also disrupt the image every time you have to raise your legs or place it on an ottoman.
It is also important to remember that the amount of light a projector can create is limited.
A 100-inch image is often the maximum size of an image most projectors can produce with proper brightness. Increasing the size of the image further will reduce the brightness of the display.
To avoid issues, you must measure the room size to determine the appropriate projector size.
The diagonal size is preferable since it is common to have a room that is very wide but not very tall.
The comparison between the screen width and the screen height is referred to as the aspect ratio. The aspect ratio usually varies depending on the source.
A lot of movies often feature an aspect ratio of 21:9 which is also a 2.35:1 equivalent. In the case of most HDTV displays, the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 which is more common than 16:9. In this case, the display will cover a screen width of 16-feet and a height of 9-feet.
It is important to note that the aspect ratio of the screen doesn’t have to be the same as that of the projector. It is possible to use a 16:9 projector to display a 21:9 movie on a 21:9 screen.
One of the easiest mistakes to make is assuming that all projector screens feature the same material. Although there is a common screen material available, there are other materials available to users.
The common screen material is the vinyl material that usually has a reflective screen coating. Consumers also have access to woven screens and perforated screens.
The benefits of the perforated and woven screens become apparent when there is a need to install speakers behind the screen. It allows users to eliminate speakers from the floor surfaces to create more room and avoid clutter.
There are downsides to these projector screen materials. These include the visibility of the material texture when making use of a woven screen that is very large or at a close distance. A common downside is the loss of light on both the perforated and woven screen materials.
Color of material
The output contrast display from your projector is highly dependent on the color of the projector screen material. Most screens use a white material color while several projector screens also make use of the gray screen materials.
Each material color has its benefits and demerits. For displays featuring darker tones, the gray color handles it more effectively. The white material color offers excellent brightness and is also the industry standard as a result.
In places where there is ambient light, gray screens are also much more effective. It is a result of the low light reflection.
Since the white and dark areas of the projector screen still need to match the original, a powerful projector is usually necessary when making use of the gray projector screen. Due to the luminosity levels of such projectors, the screen can display images like a white screen.
To obtain the ‘gain’ of a projector screen, there is a comparison between the screen and a Lambertian surface. The Lambertian surface is an evenly reflecting surface. The gain of a screen is the amount of light the screen reflects in comparison to this surface.
The higher the gain of a screen, the higher the amount of light it reflects in comparison to a screen of lower gain.
It is the ability that a screen possesses that makes it possible for sound to pass through with minimal interference. The acoustic interference is an important feature to consider if you will be mounting speakers behind the screen.
The perforation on certain screens is often to improve acoustic transparency. Auditoriums, cinemas, and home theaters usually depend on this feature.
A motorized projector screen is quite unique in the way it is mounted. These screens offer the option of mounting in the ceiling or floor, so they are not visible unless they are in use. They offer efficient use of space.
There are others that you can mount on a wall. After installation, you can make the screen roll out by simply pressing a button. Press a button after using it to roll the screen back in.
Depending on how a projector screen reflects light, the viewing angle may differ. Some screens reflect a low amount of light to the sides and a higher amount of light in a perpendicular direction.
The viewing angle is the maximum angle away from the center of the screen at which the image on the screen remains of high quality.
When purchasing a screen with a high-gain material, the viewing angle is usually much lower than other screens. The effect of looking at the screen from an angle beyond the viewing angle is a distorted and darkened view.
9 Best Projector Screens
1. ELCOR 100 inch Projector Screen – Our Pick
Elcor projector screen comes with several great features at a very reasonable price. It includes a high gain fabric which is also very easy to maintain. The screen is also available in various sizes to meet the needs of a wide range of users.
- It has an actual viewing area that measures 100 inches diagonal, 60-inch height, and 80-inch width
- There are two clips on both top ends of the screen for easy wall mounting
- The screen is designed with a front PVC layer and a back PVC layer
- It is a map type projection screen
- The screen uses a high gain of 1.2 fabric
- The screen fabric is washable and can be easily cleaned using water and a clean cloth
- It is available in different sizes with the largest size at 150” diagonal and the smallest at 84” diagonally
- It has an aspect ratio of 4:3 which matches the common projector aspect ratios
- The weight of the rod on the bottom makes it possible for the screen to stay in place with ease
- It has a black back to prevent light penetration and produce the best picture quality
- It is a manual foldable projector screen, and this can become stressful
- There is no protective case with the screen
2. QAWACHH 100 Automatic Portable Projector– Best Strainless viewing
If you are looking for a projector that could be used for home and office use, the Qawachh projector is one of the best options.
The screen is designed with Anti-UV coating making it a good option for those who use it the whole day long because it won’t cause irritation and strain to your eyes. Let us look at the other features of this product.
- The screen comes with an anti-UV coating, which protects your eyes from strain, preventing any health-related issues.
- The imported Hygrain fabric prevents any kind of wrinkles on the screen, which causes trouble while viewing movies.
- It comes with a remote which eases the work while handling the screen.
- It is an all-in-one projector screen which could be used at home and office easily.
- It is very easy to use and maintain.
- No negative points were observed so far
3. Egate EYE64 Projector Screen
Egate is a very well known brand that produces quality projector screens. Their screens can be used by professionals as well as for academics. Good quality projectors are essential to invest in if you are using a projector more often.
This Egate projector screen is made from foldable material which allows you to carry it around anywhere you go. You are sure to get a great viewing experience with the egate EYE64 projector screen.
- The Egate projector screen is a universal screen for all aspect ratio.
- It is made from foldable material which allows you to carry it around easily.
- Its ratio is 6 feet x 4 feet with an 85-inch diagonal screen size.
- With its 4:3 native design, it can accommodate the 16:9 and 16:10 ratio.
- It is eco-friendly as the green technology used ensures less -waste and it is made from recyclable materials.
- The screen has a black coating at the back, which ensures brightness at the front.
- The screen is chemically treated and coated for a wide view angle.
- The screen is even washable and foldable for long-run use.
- It has a high gain matte finish for maximum clarity while viewing.
- The screen is easy to fix and doesn’t take up much time to remove either.
- Size can be a bit small.
4. Inlight Universal Projector Screen M8X6– Universally compatible
This map type projector screen boasts of universal compatibility with the various projectors available on the Indian market.
It is also compatible with HD, 3D, and 4K ready technology. It has a gain of 1.2 and a wide viewing area of 120” diagonally.
- The black borders on the four sides of the front screen create a frame that improves image focus
- Black coated screen back material prevents light penetration for high-quality images
- It has a 4:3 aspect ratio with a 120” diagonal size for wider image viewing
- The screen material is very easy to maintain and clean with a cloth and water
- It features the 3D, HD 1080P, and 4K ready technology for compatibility with multiple sources
- Rolling up the screen is done manually, and it is very lightweight
- The screen uses a double layer material to further hinder light penetration
- The material of the screen has a gain of 1.2 and provides a wide viewing angle through the diffusion of light in all directions
- In addition to the black back, it also uses a double layer material to ensure that is impossible for light to penetrate the screen
- There is a rod at the bottom end of the screen that makes it easier to roll up the screen in a uniform manner
- This projector screen requires manual labor in rolling up the screen since there is no motor
5. Punnkk E8 Motorized Projector Screen – Easy Control
Punnkk is a North American company that was established in 2012. It moved its services into the Indian market in 2018 and has been making waves since then.
The Punnkk E8 is one of the excellent projectors on this list. It is a motorized projector screen with a matte white material. It comes with a remote for easy control.
- This is one of the few screens offering a large display of 120” diagonally
- It uses a matte white surface material with a thickness of 0.38mm
- It includes an RF remote control and a built-in switch that allows users to control the screen from far or from the side
- The material of the screen is very durable and long-lasting
- Maintenance of the screen is very easy and requires only cleaning with a cloth and water
- The design of the screen makes it suitable for either ceiling or wall installation
- There is a motor within the roller case to operate the screen’s up and down motion
- The screen has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and measures 8-feet in width and 6-feet in height
- Users can choose to either install this projector on a wall or on the ceiling
- There is internal thermal overload protection on the motors in the screen roller case
- There is no anti-reflective coating so the screen cannot be very useful in a room with ambient light
6. Punnkk E7 Motorized Projector Screen – Affordable projector screen
This one is another excellent product from Punnkk. The motor on this projector screen features internal overload protection which ensures that there is no damage during operation.
It also has a steel metal case that houses various parts of the screen. It operates at a very low noise level which is another great quality.
- It is a motorized screen that is suitable to use in classrooms, conferences, or for home theater display
- The screen comes with a built-in regulator and remote control to let users easily roll it down or up when necessary
- It uses a motor of high-quality that includes internal thermal overload protection since it is concealed within the roller
- The back of the screen is black to prevent light from penetrating through the screen
- The screen measures 100” diagonally and offers a wide viewing angle of 150°
- It has a multilayer screen which consists of an imaging PVC surface, a glass fiber layer, and a bottom PVC layer
- The roller is in a white-coated steel metal case and it operates at a very minimal noise level
- The screen is easy to control using either the remote control or the built-in regulator that features Up, Down, and Stop buttons for easy use.
- Installation of this projector screen is very easy and doesn’t require any additional labor
- No negative points were found so far
7. Inlight Home Theatre Projector Screen V6X4 – Best eye protection with anti UV coating
The Inlight brand is a product of Ansons Enterprises. The company is the sole distributor of the products to ensure that customers get only the best quality products.
As a motorized projection screen, it features lifetime lubrication on its synchronous motor to ensure quiet operation and to also avoid excessive costs of maintenance.
- The screen material has a black coated backside to enhance color production by preventing light penetration
- It has a receiver as well as a radio frequency cordless remote that both offer users the opportunity to control the projector
- The surface of the projector screen is water-friendly and easy to maintain using a cloth and water
- It provides a better natural color, motion, and picture quality since it has 4K, 3D, and HD 1080P ready technology
- There are black masking borders on each side of the screen that enhance the picture contrast when using the screen
- It has dimensions of 4 feet in height, 6 feet in width, and a diagonal measurement of 84”
- The screen has a white hexagonal casing with clips on both sides that make it easy to hang
- The 1.2 gain of the projection screen provides a higher quality image
- It has an anti-UV coating
- It uses a synchronous motor with lifetime lubrication for a silent and long-lasting use
- The black back of the screen makes it possible to mount over a window without any sunlight penetration
- The projector screen size is quite small
8. ELCOR Projector Screen– Best Screen for Different media sources
Elcor is a brand under the Elitesales India Corporation. Since its establishment in the year 2007, the company has steadily made a name for itself manufacturing and selling various projection screen types.
Their projection screens usually offer high-quality material and design.
This is one of the best folding projection screens that comes with support for various media sources that make it a great choice for home use.
- It provides support for HD, 3D, and 4K streaming content from various sources
- The screen features a high gain material with a gain of 1.2 for better light dispersion
- It features a high-quality, solid hook which will make it easy to mount on a wall or in the center of the room
- It has a 100” diagonal viewing size with an aspect ratio of 16:9
- Focus more on the display within the frame formed by the black borders on all sides of the front screen
- There is a one-year manufacturer warranty on this product
- It supports multiple video sources including 4K sources, HD, and 3D sources
- It operates on a spring action manual pull-down
- It does not include an auto-lock mechanism
- The projector screen cannot be fixed in a ceiling
9. Royality industries Projector Screen – Best tripod stand projector
Royality is a company that is well-known in the business of manufacturing projection screens. They also provide parts such as the stands for various screens.
This projection screen features a high-quality tripod stand from the company that makes it a great choice to use on any flat surface in any location. To ensure users have the opportunity to take it around, it is lightweight and includes a carry case.
- This projector screen features a tripod stand for use in any location
- It includes a steel carrying case which is very durable to prevent accidental damage
- The design of the screen uses a matte white fabric that creates distortion-free images at high-resolution
- The screen is lightweight and offers an easy portability
- During storage, the screen material is rolled over a spring roller and then shut in within a barrel
- There is an automatic rollback to quickly withdraw the screen after use
- The tripod includes a rod at the center which extends outwards to hook the screen at the maximum height
- It is a lightweight projector screen weighing just 449g
- It is available in various sizes so users can pick the perfect size for their needs
- The tripod stand is easy to fold and set up making this screen useful anywhere the user decides to make a presentation or simply watch a movie
- The projector is available in multiple sizes ranging from 84” to 150”
- The projector screen does not include any form of bracket
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which projector screen is better wall-mounted or roll away?
If you have issues related to space inside your room and you would be permanently using the projector, you can go for a wall-mounted one. Roll away projector needs to be adjusted every time but go for it if you rarely use them.
2. Does the projector screen make a difference?
If you are planning to view something without a projector screen, you would not be able to get the picture quality that you are expecting.
A white wall or similar plain screens may not be able to reflect light the same as compared to the projector screens.
3. What color projection screen is the best?
A white screen is the best screen with ambient light controlled as you would be able to view all the details inside a video or a movie.
4. What is a projector screen paint?
A screen paint is another option that is available to users that do not intend to spend on a projector screen.
The screen paint can be used over a wall surface, a board, or any object you decide. It is one of the easiest ways to create a portable screen that everyone can enjoy.
Depending on how it is used, it is possible to get a single gallon of screen paint to cover a viewing space of up to 240” diagonally.
It is important that you understand that the main benefit of the paint screen is its price. In other areas like the picture quality, brightness, and contrast, the screen paint pales in comparison to the projector screens.
Using a paint screen will also require a very smooth wall surface. It is also important that the neutral white paint color is used.
5. How do you fill a wider screen with a projector having a smaller aspect ratio?
There are different ways to occupy a wider projector screen using a projector with a small aspect ratio.
The first option is to zoom out the image on the projector. In this case, you can zoom in on a 21:9 movie image to cover a screen that is wider than the 21:9 aspect ratio.
There will be a spill of light outside the screen frame. It can be sometimes difficult to notice since the fall is usually from the black bars of the source.
An anamorphic lens is also another suitable option for filling a wider screen. In this case, you will adjust the projector to get a vertical image stretch.
The use of an additional lens will result in a lower contrast ratio when using the anamorphic lens.
6. What screen type offers a better contrast? The front projection screens or the rear projection screens?
The rear projection screens usually offer better contrast than the front projection screens. In a front projection screen, the ambient light often influences the contrast levels of the screen.
In the case of the rear projection screens, the light from the projector comes from one direction while the ambient light comes from another direction.
Since this type of screen transmits the light through the material, it is impossible to reflect the ambient light.
7. What makes an RF remote unique?
The RF is an acronym for Radio Frequency. The unique features of the Radio Frequency remote are the long-range of the remote control as well as the ability to control the screen without pointing directly at the screen.
Getting a projection screen is very important if you intend to get the most from your projector. Some users may prefer to use projector paint on the wall but sometimes, this may take a lot more effort than simply purchasing a screen.
In this article, we have discussed some of the basic things you need to know when looking for a projector screen from Amazon. We have also listed some of our recommendations on the products you can get. Our top picks are ELCOR Diagonal Map Type Projector Screen, Qawachh Projector Screen, and Egate EYE64 Projector Screen