Best Pregnancy Pillows
Pregnancy is one of the most exciting experiences for young women but also challenging. If pregnant, your body will go through incredible transformations and difficulties that you have to deal with. The struggle to get a good night sleep is one of them and thus the need for a pregnancy pillow.
When expecting a baby, you need a lot of energy. It gets quite challenging to get the rest you require especially during the second and third trimesters where getting the perfect sleeping position gets difficult. Only the best pregnancy pillow can offer you the comfort you seek. Pregnancy pillows are very useful for back pain, hip pain, etc.
Now that your rest is crucial to you and your growing baby selecting the most comfortable pillow will help you a great deal. These pillows come in all sorts of sizes, shapes and with different fillings and fabrics too. You, therefore, have to do thorough research if you want to get the best and one that works for you.
The good news, however, is that this guide has your back. We’ve narrowed your search by selecting the best pillows you can find in the Indian Market today, and all you need to do is go through our list. You’ll get the pillow you want, learn about the different types of pillows, know the benefits of having one and things you should always look out for before purchasing a pregnancy pillow, along with answers to frequently asked questions.
10 Best Pregnancy Pillows
Best Pillow for Tall Women
Best Multifunctional Pillow
Best C-Shaped Pillow
Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
Best Wedge Pillow
Best Pillow for Knee and Hip Pain
Benefits of Using Pregnancy Pillows
The following are the advantages of using a pregnancy pillow.
Allows You to Sleep on Your Stomach
If you are fond of sleeping on your tummy, you have to agree that it gets complicated when pregnant. The good news is that with the right pillow, you’ll still enjoy sleeping on your belly. Just get yourself the inflatable one and relax in your favorite position without endangering the life of your little one.
Helps to Relieve Heartburns
If suffering from heartburn, all you need is a pillow that elevates your body. In that position, stomach acids can’t flow back into the esophagus and thus the best way to overcome this discomfort.
Help You to Breathe Better
If you find yourself suffering from shortness of breath especially at night, get yourself a pregnancy pillow. It will help you position yourself in a way that feels most comfortable. A pillow will prop your body for extra relief.
Prevents You From Disturbing Your Partner
The results of discomforts in bed are frequent tossing and turning, something that will disrupt your partner’s sleep. If you do not want to become a bother in bed, get yourself a pregnancy and enjoy the comfort you deserve. This way, you won’t disturb your partner.
Reduces Pressure on Your Lower Back, Hips, and Pelvis
If suffering from pelvic pain, prop a pillow between your knees as this will keep your hips parallel. The exercise will prevent the top knee from getting extended downwards and putting the rest of your torso out of alignment.
Eases Blood Circulation
Doctors recommend pregnant mothers to sleep on the side as the position promotes the flow of blood. However, sleeping on the side becomes challenging as the bell grows bigger from day to day. A pregnancy pillow makes it possible for a mum to sleep on her side due to its softening and cushioning effects.
Longer Sleeping Time
Pregnancy pillows ease the stress and aches associated with pregnancy enabling a pregnant mother to sleep for long hours. Pillows provide support to the body allowing her to sleep soundly.
Useful After Delivery
Most pregnancy pillows are also helpful post-delivery. Some are useful in nursing and feeding the baby. You can also use the pillows when resting, reading or watching a movie. You can also use some as footrests.
Pregnancy Pillows Safety Concerns
- Always use inflatable pillows on the floor as it can pose a falling risk should you trying using it on the bed.
- Do not sleep on your back as this may limit blood circulation. If you do so, you’ll most likely wake up feeling dizzy, lightheaded and in great pain.
- Do not use your pillow as a baby positioner after delivery. Although most pillows are multifunctional, you’ll only be exposing your baby to suffocation risks.
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
Pregnancy Full Body Pillow
Pregnancy full body pillows look just like extra-long regular pillows that offer support from the head to the knees. They correspond to the size of your body and thus the need to consider that feature when purchasing one if looking forward to enjoying the comfort it has to offer.
With this pillow, you’ll sleep on it as if lying across your spouse. These pillows prevent tossing and turning to enable you to have a restful sleep. The good thing about pregnancy full body pillows is that they do not occupy too much space when compared to C-shaped and U shaped ones.
The pillow is also a more inexpensive option, and you’ll also get to use it even after getting your little angel. However, it has a few downsides since it’s not flexible enough and doesn’t offer under belly support.
U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow
These pillows are contoured to wrap all around you. They look like two full-length body pillows connected at the center and will offer support to your back and front. A U-shaped pillow also provides support to the head, neck and the knees.
These pillows offer unparalleled support and can help you achieve maximum comfort.When using the pillow, you won’t require regular pillows. Using the pillow can however make you hot and only useful for you when pregnant. They are also large and need you to put the size of your bed into consideration before paying for one.
Inflatable Pregnancy Pillow
If you are a stomach sleeper, this pillow is made with you in mind. It comes with a hole in the middle to accommodate your belly. The pillow will feel like a life raft and make you enjoy all the comfort since, without it, you can never sleep on your stomach.
Inflatable pregnancy pillows are highly portable and will relieve you of leg and back pain. You, however, can’t use the pillow in bed since doing so will only expose you to the risk of falling and may also not work well for you if you have a long torso.
C-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow
Just like the name suggests, these pillows come in the shape of letter C. The pillow will replace your need for extra pillows since it’ll provide you with full body support. When using it, one end cradles your head, runs along your back and between your knees to put your parallel and comfort.
The pillow will also prevent you from shifting along throughout the night and thus the best when sharing a bed with your partner. The larger end of the C should go under the head and the smaller one under the knees.
A C-shaped pillow can, however, make you hot and also bulky. These pillows also come at a higher price when compared to others.
Wedge Pregnancy Pillow
Wedge pillows are designed to support a targeted area, mostly your bump or back. They are mainly used under the belly for support so that its weight doesn’t pull it towards the mattress. A wedge pillow will, therefore, allow you to sleep on your side very comfortably.
You can also use the pillow on your back as it will prevent you from rolling over if used to sleeping on your back. If you want to elevate your upper body, use it under your head. The best thing about this pillow is that even after pregnancy, you’ll still get to use it on many occasions.
Wedge pillows come at a lower price, will take very little room in your bed and are also very portable. Their only problem is that they don’t offer full body support and you’ll, therefore, have to use additional pillows.
Flexible Pregnancy Pillow
A flexible pillow functions almost like a straight body pillow. The only difference is that it’s more adjustable for comfort. Its fill is also different from that of a regular pillow and makes noise when one shifts.
Since they are flexible, you can customize them to your comfort. The pillows also do not take much in bed when compared to others like the C-shaped one and with it, you won’t require extra pillows.
The downside of flexible pillows is that they make noise due the filler, come with a higher price tag and do not offer back support.
The following are the things you need to consider when purchasing a pregnancy pillow.
Always consider the fill material of a pillow before you pay for it. Pillows come with different fill materials including the regular pillow fill, Styrofoam beads, shredded foam or memory foam and microbeads.
What you need to know is that if you choose to go for one with memory foam, it holds its shape but can get quite hot.
A regular filled one comes at a lower price but will compress with time.
A Styrofoam filled one will make noise when you shift while those with microbeads are quiet but do not rebound like the regular pillows.
You have to put the size of your bed into consideration before you pick a pillow for your pregnant spouse. Some pillows are quite bulky and won’t fit/will occupy a lot of space in your bed.Since you do not want to take all the area leaving none for your partner, select one with the size of your bed in mind.
Get a pillow that suits your height if you want to get maximum body support and comfort. Pillows come in varying lengths and hence the need to be extra careful. You do not want to get a pillow that you barely fit in.
A cover makes it easy for you to keep your pillow clean and hygienic. You need to know that during the last parts of your pregnancy, you’ll sweat a lot as hormones overwork at the time. The sweat will end up soaking into your pillow if it doesn’t have a cover making it difficult for you to clean.
Consider your favorite sleeping position when going for a pregnancy pillow. For example, if you like sleeping on your stomach, you need to get a pillow that allows you to sleep in that position without putting your health and that of your baby into risk. If a side sleeper, get one that will support your tummy and back at the same time.
Always strive to get a pillow that will offer you maximum comfort. Don’t go for anything less.
Although you might get tempted to go for a soft pillow, avoid them at all costs. Soft pillows do not provide adequate support and thus the need to go for a firm pillow. Initially, a firm one might feel uncomfortable, but you’ve got nothing to worry about. With time, you’ll get used to it.
Pregnant mothers are prone to suffering from allergies, some of which might lead to breathing difficulties, skin issues among other problems. To keep yourself safe from these allergic reactions, ensure that you get a hypoallergenic one.
Always consider the price of a pillow before you purchase it. Remember that you do not have to spend your life savings on a pillow. You might even get surprised to find that a pillow that comes at a low price functions way much better than a high priced one. Also, don’t go for a cheaply priced one without considering its quality. If the quality isn’t up to mark, avoid it at all costs.
Of what use is a pregnancy pillow if it can’t last the pregnancy period. Go for a durable product even if it means spending a little bit more. A durable pillow will last the pregnancy period and remain in good shape for post pregnancy uses.
Select a pillow that will help ease your discomforts. Do not go for one just because your friend picked the exact one. You have to keep in mind that what works for your friend may not work for you at all. She might have selected it for propping her legs while you need one for overall body comfort. Should you choose it, you’ll only get disappointed.
1. Coozly Premium Lyte C Shaped Pregnancy Pillow – Highly comfortable
During pregnancy, it is very important that women get pampered and should feel comfortable. Coozly Premium Lyte C Shaped Pregnancy Pillow is one of the products that provide that adds comfort to your sleep.
The cotton fiber, which is used to make the product, makes it softer. With a variety of color options, you can choose according to your wish. Let us have a look at the features of this product.
- The product is packed in a thick coozly zippered bag and then put in a white bag with clip packing. The thick and soft pillow adds comfort to your sleep.
- It contains fine coozly HQ fibers that are cut to the finest for seamless feeling during your sleep.
- The cover of these pillows is made up of cotton fabric.
- It can be used during pregnancy, reading, lounging. And post-pregnancy it can be used for breastfeeding.
- It is the best pillow for side support. Those people who have a habit of lying towards their sides, it would be a perfect choice.
- It comes with extra-wide arms for side body support.
- It adheres to internationally accepted standards to give you the best product.
- It comes in a variety of colors so that you can easily choose according to your wish.
- The pillow is safe for use. It is free from phthalate, latex, lead, and BPA.
- After continuous use, it shrinks in size.
2. MomsYard Full Body Maternity Pillow – Our Pick
This C-shaped full body pillow will help you rest comfortably by supporting your back, hips knees, and head. If pregnant and having difficulties when sleeping on your side, you should go for this pillow as it will make your pregnancy period less strenuous.
The pillow replaces the need for having multiple regular pillows at night. After getting your little body, you can choose to use the pillow in any way you want as it is multifunctional too. It comes filled with flexible fill material that stops you from tossing and turning at night.
Just like most pillows in this list, the full body pillow comes with a removable cover for easy cleaning and drying. It is hypoallergenic with zero phthalates and also BPA free. You’ll therefore never suffer from allergic reactions when using it.
The pillow will allow you to sleep peacefully at night without interruptions.
- Comes with adjustable fill material that prevents you from tossing and turning
- Horseshoe shaped head area enables you to attain the position that suits you best
- The curved ends fit smugly between the knees.
- Conforms to your body shape
- Gives adequate back support
- Quality fabric at a reasonable price
- Available in a variety of colors
- Works fine as a feeding pillow as well
- It is multifunctional. Can be used as nursing pillow as well
- The cover fabric is a little harsh.
3. AVI Full Body Large Size Pregnancy Pillow – Best Pillow for Tall Women
This U-shaped pillow will make your pregnancy journey easy and comfortable. It is designed by doctors meaning that it’ll help you a great deal.
It enables you to rest and get a good night sleep every other day during your pregnancy.
The pillow is contoured to keep your head, neck, shoulders, and knees aligned for proper joint positioning. It will help you ease any pain you might be suffering from at the time. The pillow will help you lie on your left side without rolling back over onto your back or tummy.
The pillow is safe for pregnant women and will provide you with all the comfort you need at this time. You’ll use the pillow even after getting your baby as it makes a perfect feeding pillow, sitting support pillow among other uses. Anyone in your family will get to enjoy its comfort.
- Has two contoured legs for proper body alignment and joint positioning
- Fluffy and therefore safe for pregnant women
- Light in weight and with zero pressure
- Retains its shape even after a long time of use
- Provides perfect back support
- Light in weight hence portable
- Made from high-quality fill and fabric therefore durable
- Easy to clean
- Poor stitching
- Some people complained that it’s itchy.
4. Cloth Fusion Full Body Pregnancy Pillow – Best Multifunctional Pillow
Here comes another U-shaped pillow that will enable you to get a good night sleep during your pregnancy period. It’s made of 100% cotton thus of high-quality and durable. The pillow will also ergonomically provide you with comfort.
The pillow is long enough to support your body every time you retire to bed full. It will relieve you of pain for a comfortable night. With it, you won’t disturb your partner with constant tossing and turning. The versatile product will help you sleep in whatever position you prefer.
This pillow happens to be multifunctional since you will not only use it when pregnant. It can also offer you comfort when reading, nursing your little one or watching the TV. It comes with a zippered cover that makes it easy to remove and wash.
- Long enough to provide your entire body with comfort
- Made of 100% pure cotton thus long lasting
- Multifunctional and therefore useful even after deliverya
- Comes in a full body fitting size
- Has soft fabric therefore extremely comfortable
- Comes with a free pillow cover case with zipper
- Machine washable
- The pillow’s fillings collect on one side
5. Get it U-Shape Pregnancy Maternity Pillow – Our Pick
This pillow allows you to shape it in any shape you want due to its flexible nature. It is made from unique cotton material and one of the softest pillows you can find around. With it, you’ll get to relax and forget for a while that you have a bump.
The pillow is 58 inches long and fits any bed with ease. It is also easy to handle when carrying it around for home use. Just the previous product in the list, the pillow comes with a zippered pillow that is easy to remove and clean at all times.
When traveling and feel the need to carry a pillow with you, you can as well take this pillow due to its lightweight nature. It is also multifunctional and therefore easy to use in any way that pleases you. You’ll not only get to use when pregnant but even after giving birth.
The pillow is a lifesaver to individuals who have fibromyalgia, upper and lower body pain as well as arthritis. The pillow also helps in blood circulation preventing hypertension syndrome and hypotension as well.
- Made from a unique cotton material that makes it softer than others
- 58 inch in length and thus fits any bed
- Comes in a zipper design that makes it easy to wash
- Light in weight and therefore easy to carry around when traveling
- High-quality fabric makes it durable.
- Come in a variety of colors giving you the chance to select your favorite
- Fits in any bed
- Provides value for money
- Small for tall persons
6. AmazingHind Maternity Pillow for Pregnancy– Best C-Shaped Pillow
Are you looking for a C-shaped pillow for your comfort? You can never go wrong with this pillow from AmazingHind. It is more than just a pillow for pregnant moms since anyone who needs support especially when recovering from a surgery can get to use it.
Just like most pregnancy pillows in this list, the pillow is multifunctional and will, therefore, be of great help if you want to relax and watch a movie, require support when reading your favorite movie among other things.
- Comes with a 100% jersey knit cover that is machine washable
- Has polyfill that makes it comfortable and durable at the same time
- Comes in a beautiful color that soothes the eyes
- Provides a perfect balance between comfort and support
- Relieves all types of body pain
- Most convenient and comfortable for pregnant ladies
- Effective after delivery
- Great value for money
- Comes with a single stitch and not very sturdy
7. BAYBEE Women’s Full Body U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow – Best-Contoured Pillow
This pillow is probably the best-contoured pregnancy pillow you can find ever around. It is made from a uniquely soft cotton material that allows you to shape it into any position you when sleeping or relaxing. It will all parts of your body enabling you to have an easy time during your pregnancy period.
The pillow comes with perforated material with airflow ventilation technology. The technology makes the pillow cooler enabling you to enjoy all the comfort when sleeping. The pillow is ideal for shoulder pain, back pain, and leg swelling.
The pillow comes in a compact yet comfortable size enabling you to have shorter nights. It will support your tummy and back at the same time keeping you and your baby safe at all times. Since it also comes in a zippered design, you can remove the cover any time to clean it.
- Made from unique and soft cotton material that shapes into any position
- Comes in a compact and comfortable size
- Comes with an easy to remove and store zippered cover
- 100% breathable and comfortable
- Supports your back and tummy at the same time
- The ventilation technology keeps it cool at all times.
- Easy to shape into any position
- Smaller than it appears online
8. Linen walls Soft Body Pillow – Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
This pillow is made from the finest quality simonized fiber with pure cotton that feels like silk. You’ll, therefore, enjoy all the comfort you would seek from a pregnancy pillow. The cotton has a high thread count of 300 and making it durable as well.
The pillow comes with a medium firmness that will give you a soft and plush feel. It will also support your neck and ease you of all body pains. It will also give you that luxury feeling that you can only experience on pillows from 5-star hotels.
Even though the pillow appears big, it still feels thin under the head. You also have no reason to worry when it comes to cleaning it since all you need is to remove the cover and machine wash it. It is great for relaxing, sleeping and also holding underarms and legs.
- Made from the finest quality fiber with 100% cotton
- Comes in a medium firmness to give a soft feel
- Made from cotton with a high thread count for durability and comfort
- Big in appearance but thin under the head
- Has a spongy feel
- Comes at a reasonable price
- Firm yet comfortable
- Too Thin
- Comes in white only
9. The White Willow Orthopedic Wedge – Best Wedge Pillow
If looking for a wedge pillow, do not hesitate to select the White Willow Orthopedic Wedge. It’s made from medical grade high resilience foam and in a unique design to help pregnant moms and people suffering from back pains. The design will enable them to sit comfortably anywhere.
The pillow offers the much needed elevated support without putting undue strain. It also provides unappalled support from the high resilience foam material helping to reduce any stress on your lower back. By supporting your shoulders and upper back, the pillow promotes a better sleep position.
The ergonomically shaped pillow not only allows you to sleep better but also prevents orthopedic health issues on your spine, back and shoulders. It also reduces the cases of acid reflux, snoring, common colds among others. If suffering from a sprained knee or ankle, this pillow will come in handy.
- Filled with a medical grade high resilience foam and therefore comfortable
- Supports the lower back and shoulders to promote a better sleep position
- It is ergonomically shaped to improve your sleep posture.
- Hard enough but still soft for you to rest on
- Cooler than a full-size pillow
- Protects the user from orthopedic health related issues
- Elevates your upper body for maximum comfort
- Made from high-quality foam thus durable
- Steep and requires one to get used to
10. House of Quirk Memory Foam Pillow – Best Pillow for Knee and Hip Pain
The pillow will relief you of sciatica, back and hip pain enabling you to sleep well at night. The ergonomically designed knee pillow will fit comfortably between your knees and provide you with maximum support.
The pillow comes with a breathable easy to clean cover that ensures that it doesn’t get warm. It comes with premium high-density foam for superior comfort. With this pillow, you won’t have to purchase drugs to ease your knee pain.
The contour design of this pillow helps to keep the knees separate with ideal spacing to align your spine, legs, and hips. The fact that specialists recommend the pillow means that you’ll get the best results from using it.
- Ergonomically designed to fit your knees comfortably for maximum support
- Comes with a breathable and easy to clean cover
- Contoured to keep your knees separated with ideal spacing for proper joints alignment
- Has premium high-density memory foam for extra comfort
- Best for side sleepers
- Helps to keep your body free of pressure when pregnant
- Keeps in place when sleeping
- Has a soft cover
- It comes with a zipper which makes it easy to clean
- Not thick enough
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do I need to place a pillow between the legs when pregnant?
Placing a pillow between your legs helps to prevent sciatic nerve pain. The pillows also support your upper knees every time you sleep on your side enabling you to sleep comfortably.
2. Do I need to wash my pillow?
You’ll have to wash your pillow since it’ll get dirty over time. You, however, need to consider the manufacturer’s instructions on doing so. In most cases, you’ll get the instructions on a tag attached to your pillow.
3. Can a pregnancy pillow prevent me from rolling on my back?
A pregnancy pillow will always keep you safe from rolling on your back. All you need to do is place a wedge pillow under your back or go for a pillow that supports your full body, one that runs along the back side of your body.
4. Why does my neck hurt after using a pregnancy pillow?
If your neck hurts, it merely means that your pillow is too thick or not offering proper support. Always ensure that your neck aligns with the spine. If it’s too low or high, it’ll inflict pain on your neck and shoulders.
5. Can I use my pregnancy pillow when breastfeeding my baby?
Of course, you can. The best for that purpose is the full body and flexible pillows. Avoid using a wedge pillow as it isn’t an ideal shape for nursing.
6. How do I tell that a pillow is safe for me to use?
All you need to do is get a pillow that fits you well. It should conform to your body and hypoallergenic if possible. Also, ensure that it’s free of phthalates and other harsh chemicals if you don’t want to suffer from allergic reactions.
7. When should I start using a pregnancy pillow?
When to start solely depends on you. There’s no set time that one should start using the pillows, the moment you begin experiencing discomforts, that’s the time you need to start using one. Some specialists will, however, advise you to start using one 20 weeks into your pregnancy when you start sleeping on your side.
8. Can a pregnancy pillow ease heartburn?
A pregnancy pillow will prevent you from suffering from heartburn as it props your torso up keeping acids out of the esophagus. If suffering from heartburn from time to time, get yourself a wedge pillow. It is the best for this function.
9. Can I use a regular pillow?
You can use regular pillows during your pregnancy, but then, you’ll have to get several of them in your bed which isn’t quite convenient. You’ll have to keep on repositioning them every night which can be quite tiring. If possible, go instead for a pregnancy pillow that comes specifically designed for that purpose to avoid all the trouble.
10. Which is the best pillow to use?
The best pillow depends on your ailments. For example, a wedge pillow will not function in the same as a full body pillow. The same case applies to an inflatable one. You, therefore, need to identify whatever is causing your discomfort if you are looking forward to getting the best.
Don’t go for a pillow because your friend selected it; she might be suffering from a different problem altogether.
Our top three choices in this list include Coozly Premium Lyte C Shaped Pregnancy Pillow which comes at a reasonable price but still offers you superior comfort, much better than most high priced ones. It will help you sleep comfortably throughout the night, comes with adjustable fill material and a soft and comfortable to wash the cover.
MomsYard Pregnancy pillow, on the other hand, comes with all the features you would want a pregnancy pillow to have. It comes in the best length to fit you comfortably and help you have a relaxed night. It also has a breathable filling that keeps it cool at all times.
AVI Full Body Large Size Pregnancy Pillow will help you relax, ensure that your blood circulation isn’t compromised and that you never suffer from any discomfort.
The best thing about these pregnancy pillows will give you all the comfort you need when pregnant. You’ll get to use most of them even after pregnancy. Your family will also get to enjoy the support that the pillows have to offer as well.
Now that you’ve gone through the list, we hope that you are fully informed and that you’ll get the pillow that you feel will suit you best.