5 Best Pet Carriers
Your pets deserve a place that makes them feel secure and comfortable even during traveling to different places. Thus, for this reason, a pet carrier is a must for every pet owner.
Besides making it easy for you to carry your pets, the carriers also make a good fashion statement.
We have reviewed the top 5 pet carriers which will enable you to make the right choice. This is followed by the FAQ section that hopes to answer a few of the most common questions related to this pet essential.
Top 5 Pet Carriers in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best in comfort and airflow for pets
Best Sling Carrier
The Safest Carrier
Best Hiking and Outdoor Carrier
Types of Pet Carriers
Crates are usually designed to resemble a kennel. It has an opening in the front with a proper locking system to prevent your pet from escaping. It has good ventilation that allows your pet to breathe properly. The crate carrier comes with a sturdy handle that lets you carry it easily.
These carriers are basically cages available in different sizes for transporting your pet. It has an opening on the top or front, which makes it safer and prevents your pet from escaping. Moreover, the cage allows your pet to breathe freely and also enjoy a proper view of the surroundings while traveling.
Backpack carriers like the name suggests are backpacks designed in various sizes, colors, and materials to carry smaller pets. They have comfortable compartments for your pet to enjoy hiking, road trips, shopping, etc. Certain backpacks also come with extra storage, which makes it even more convenient while traveling.
These carriers usually are designed for smaller pets. They are available in different sizes, designs, and colors. They come with ventilation holes that help your pet breathe and a roll-down window made of mesh.
Airline Pet Carriers
Airline approved pet carriers are designed especially for traveling with your pet on an airplane. They meet the specifications and requirements of the airlines, which you can read more about in the buyer’s guide. These carriers most commonly include crates that may be in the cabin or the cargo.
Pet Car-Seat Carrier
These carriers are made using fleece and are filled with foam to be placed on your car seat. It ensures safety and comfort for your pet while traveling by car. They are available in different designs and sizes that can accommodate all pets, whether small or large.
Certain backpack carriers are designed to include wheels in them. These are often referred to as wheeled carriers. They are easier to carry a large pet.
Wheels and zippers
It becomes easy for you to carry your pet carrier along with you if it has wheels which increase the maneuverability and access. Zipper lock prevents your pets from moving out while you are carrying them.
Style or Type
The style or type of pet carrier is the most important factor you need to consider before making a purchase. The two main types of carriers are crates and top opener cages.
There are different styles of carriers designed to fit your purpose of the requirement. Go for an airline Pet carrier if you need to travel with your pet via air as they meet the requirements of the airlines.
You can go for a backpack carrier or a car seat carrier if you are traveling by car for a trip or going hiking with your pet.
Size also plays a vital role when it comes to pet carriers. Your pet requires a cozy space but also would need an ample amount of space to move around.
Thus, choose a pet carrier as per the size of your pet. A pet carrier too big would be inconvenient for your pet while a size too small would make your pet restless.
The pet carrier you buy should be made using food-grade, non-toxic, and good quality material that is tear and scratch-resistant. Also, go for a waterproof base. These type of materials offers more durability to the product, which is an essential requirement.
Comfort and Safety
The main advantage of using a pet carrier is that it provides your pet with safety and comfort while traveling, especially to a new surrounding.
Hence, go for a product that has a well-padded interior that ensures that your pet is comfortable and cozy at the same time. It is also necessary to ensure that the carrier has a good zipper or closing system that prevents your pet from escaping.
A product with windows covered with mesh and holes all around is also beneficial as it allows your pet to view the surroundings providing a sense of safety to him/her.
The pet carrier must have holes or windows covered with mesh all around. This promotes the circulation of air so that the hot air inside the carrier is replaced with fresh air. This allows your pet to breathe properly. Hence, go for a product that ensures proper ventilation.
Airline Rules and Regulations
Different airlines have their own specific set of regulations and requirements to bring a pet on board. Airline pet carriers are designed keeping in mind the set of these rules. Thus, it is important that your pet carrier is approved by the airline you are about to travel on.
Only small dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin; otherwise, they would have to be in the cargo in dog crates. In the cabin, your pet carrier is required to fit under the seat in front of the owner.
Moreover, the carrier must have a waterproof base with ample space for your pet to move around. It also has to be ventilated on three sides, and the metal door of the crate in cargo should be sturdy.
5 Best Pet Carriers
1. Amazon Basics Airline Travel Carrier– Best in comfort and airflow for pets.
This is a product that is perfect for all the pet lovers out there who wish to carry them along with them while they travel. Amazon Basics Airline Travel Carrier Bag is the latest addition to the market with lots of features and pros.
The bag is comfortable for pets as it has mesh ventilation in all the four sides, which increases the airflow inside the pet carrier. Along with that, the zipper lock makes it a more secure and safe option for your pets.
- It is a medium-sized pet carrier having a dimension of 16.5 x 9.4 x 9.8 inches.
- The product is soft-sided, which makes it easy to carry along.
- It comes with a carrying handle and an adjustable shoulder strap that makes it easy for you to carry wherever you want to.
- The size is perfect to fit under most of the airline seats.
- The front and top openings allow you to quickly and effortlessly put your pets inside it.
- The fabric is machine washable. It can be easily dried after the wash.
- The mesh ventilation, which is provided on all the four sides increases the breathability of this product and also allows your pet to sit inside it comfortably.
- It comes with a removable base insert which creates a solid surface for your pets to stand on. The removable fleeced bed offers a cozy space for your pets to sleep.
- The zipper lock adds safety and security for your pets.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The carrying strap is a bit uncomfortable.
2. Sherpa Airline Approved Pet Carrier – Our Choice
This Sherpa Pet Carrier is the best option if you need to travel with your pet, especially by plane since it is approved for use on most airlines and included in Sherpa’s Guaranteed on Board program.
It is also available in three sizes that will allow you to choose a size as per your pet. It offers complete safety and comfort for both your pet and you because of its soft, cozy, removable, machine-washable faux lambskin liner.
It has two entry points with a locking zipper that prevents your pet from escaping and getting lost. The carrier also comes with extra storage for carrying treats, leashes, or any other important pet essential which might be needed by your pet.
- It is designed for traveling by air or car, for a trip or even to the vet.
- Available in three sizes- Small (Fits pets up to 13 in length x 7.5 in height and up to 8 pounds), Medium (Fits pets up to 16 in length x 10 in height and up to 16 pounds) and Large.
- It has mesh windows for ventilation.
- Has a top and side entry with locking zippers to prevent escapes.
- Comes with a padded adjustable no-slip strap, seat belt/luggage strap, and a soft, removable, machine-washable faux lambskin liner.
- Has a patented skin wireframe.
- Available in different color options- Black, Brown, Plum, and Gray.
- Approved by most airlines and included in Sherpa’s guaranteed on Board program.
- It ensures safe and comfortable travel.
- Your pet will have ample space to move around.
- The rear pocket allows convenient storage of treats, leash, bags, or anything else your furry friend might need on the go.
- It is quite expensive.
3. Trixie Capri Pet Carrier
This is a hard shell pet carrier by Trixie that will keep your pet safe while travelling. It has a handle on top and a slit for car seat belts which makes the transport more secure.
Ideal for travelling by train, car, ship or plane. Capri 2 and amp 3 features a s. The stroking flap allows to pet your animal without opening the main door.
- It is ideal for cats, dogs, rabbits and other small animals.
- It has a storage tray and a stroking flap on top.
- The ventilation slits provide sufficient air circulation.
- Very easy to assemble.
- The build is stable and sturdy.
- You can pet your animal without opening the main entry point.
- Quality could be a bit better.
4. SRI Astronaut Space Pet Carrier – The Safest Carrier
This backpack carrier has a unique design that stands out. The special semi-sphere design prevents your pet from escaping while keeping them safe.
It also has an anti-breakaway collar lock and a high-quality metal zipper for this purpose. This is the ideal choice when it comes to timid and shy dogs who tend to escape in a new surrounding. The carrier provides a sense of safety to your pet.
- This is a backpack carrier that has a unique astronaut space capsule design.
- Made of high-quality PVC and mesh fabric.
- Suitable for dogs and cats less than 11 pounds or 5 kg.
- Comes with an anti-breakaway collar lock and comfortably adjustable chest buckle.
- It has a high-quality metal zipper.
- The venting holes that promote air circulation is made of durable plastic material.
- Available in four color options: lemon, black, blue, and red.
- It has an adjustable buckle strap that lightens the weight on your shoulder, making it convenient to carry.
- It is comfortable and durable.
- Made with environmentally friendly material PVC, which is waterproof, dirt-resistant and of good quality.
- The mesh and transparent window offers comfort to your pet.
- It is a bit expensive.
5. SRI Pet Carrier Front Backpack – Best Hiking and Outdoor Carrier
This backpack carrier is made using mesh canvas fabric and leather, making it comfortable for both you and your pet. It is an ideal choice for taking your pet out for shopping or even hiking.
The mesh hole allows your pet to breathe comfortably. Moreover, it is light-weight, durable, non-toxic, and safe for your pet to use. Go for this product if you have a small size pet like a cat, Mini Poodle, Mini Schnauzer, or a Chihuahua.
- It is a backpack carrier made using high-quality sandwich mesh fabric and oxford fabric.
- Suitable for Cat, Mini Poodle, Mini Schnauzer, Chihuahua, Yorkshire, Pomeranian, Miniature Pinscher, and other similar size pets.
- Comes with adjustable straps to reduce a burden on the shoulders.
- The front hole has adjustable strings.
- For ventilation, mesh panels are provided.
- Suitable for traveling and hiking with your pet.
- The buckle design inside the carrier connects with your pet’s collar, which will prevent him/her from getting out, ensuring its safety.
- The backpack is light-weight, non-toxic, and easily washable.
- It is comfortable for both you and your pet.
- It is suitable for cats more than dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a hard or soft cat carrier better?
Soft carriers are easy to carry and easy to fit underline an airline seat. If you choose a plastic carrier, it would be easy to clean.
In terms of maintainability and manageability, soft carriers are better. But, hard carriers are durable and stay safe even if some hard objects fall on it.
2. How do I know which is the right-sized carrier for my pet?
To know which is the right-sized carrier for your pet, while they are standing, measure from nose tip till the tail end & add 4 inches to it. This is the correct size carrier for your pet.
3. What pet carriers are airline approved?
Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet Carrier is an airline approved pet carrier.
4. What should the average size of your pet carrier be?
The average size of the pet carrier you buy should be as per the size and weight of your dog or cat. Always ensure that the carrier is a size that provides an ample amount of space for your furry friend to move around and lie down comfortably. A size too big would lead to an inconvenience in carrying your pet around in the carrier.
5. Which type of carrier should you go for?
If you are looking to go out on a hiking trip or a trip to the vet or shopping mall with your pet, go for a backpack carrier. However, if you want to go for a longer trip via a cargo for a kennel crate or a cage. For traveling, via air, the best option would be airline carriers as they are designed as per the specifications of the airlines,
If you have made it till here, we are now armed with the knowledge to purchase the best carrier for your pets. Having outlined the benefits and features of these carriers, we have no doubt that you will want nothing but the best for your pet.
For an airline approved pet carrier, go for our top pick- The Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet Carrier. You can also go for the Amazon Basics Airline Travel Carrier Bag, which is one of the most popular products in this segment.