5 Best open back headphones
Headphones or earphones have become part of our routine, many of you might even be wearing it right now while reading this article. But with an increase in need, various types and technology can confuse anyone easily. Hence, here we are explaining what open-back headphones are. These headphones are comfortable headphones that allow sound leak. It will enable air to pass through the earphones releasing sounds to the world. They don’t trap the sound. Instead, they allow the sound to go primarily. They don’t make little echoes in your ear, but rather it makes it feel like you’re in a party close to a speaker. They are suitable for gaming as it is more open and natural.
Most times, people often mistake the closed-back headphones for open ones. The open-back headphones are unique in a way, as much as the sound is majorly restricted to your ears. The minority still allows a little bit of the sound to be released and allows air to get into your hair, which not only takes away echoing but also makes you know what is going on around you. So open-back headphones are recommended for audiophiles and Engineers for mixing, mastering, and recording, it is also suitable for gaming.
In this article, you will find all the needed information like Types of open-back headphones, comprehensive buyers guide and a few FAQ. Lastly, we have also provided our Top 5 recommended products for you to choose from.
5 Best Open Back Headphones
Types of open-back headphones
Open-back headphones for mixing and mastering
These headphones have open-back as the name implies, and it allows airflow into the headphones promoting sound. It also makes it natural and suited for mixing. Though expensive, it is usually worth it as it minimizes internal reflection, gives better frequency, and produces excellent sound. The qualities of these models make sure your eardrums are secured. It is also suitable for sound isolation. They are comfortable and good for engineers or an audiophile while recording or mixing.
Open-back headphones for gaming
These headphones also come with soft and comfortable padding. This design is made uniquely; after hours of gaming and recording, it doesn’t hurt the ears. The open-back design helps to discern background noise, it doesn’t cut you off from the world, and it leaves enough noise from the surroundings to know what is going on so you wouldn’t get into unnecessary troubles with anyone for not answering them. They have transducers that help the audio get into the ear directly, making the sound great. Their sound qualities never seem to disappoint, and most of these open-back headphones are durable, excellent quality but are usually expensive.
Choosing the best open-back headphone is vital because it gives you an enjoyable experience when it is in use. Here’s a list of what to know when purchasing the open-back headphones.
Blocking external noise
Though open-back headphones leave you hearing a little noise from the surrounding. If it gives excellent sound in isolation, it should also be noted before purchasing.
The open-back headphones should be tested. It must balance on both ears and make sure it isn’t slacking off. Open back headphone that is tested and trusted will be able to provide optimal comfort when it is in use. Therefore, ensure you have detailed knowledge about the product before you purchase for maximum comfort.
The prices of these headphones are usually expensive, but there are also cheap ones. Make sure you do not settle for low-quality open-back headphones because of its price. You could save a little more to purchase a fine and better quality headphone.
Some design looks unattractive and dense, while some are lovely and beautiful. Some are solidly built due to the material used, while some are fancily built and might not last very long when in use. Some open-back headphones have a sound-proof design, while some don’t have a sound-proof design. Therefore, before you buy an open back headphone, it’s crucial to know the headphone whose design is suitable for you.
It’s vital to know how durable the open back headphone is before buying it. There are several open back headphones available in the markets that are not durable, and it won’t be good to have them. In purchasing a durable open-back headphone, it’s important to cross-check the brand and the customer review of the product to know its authenticity. Some reliable manufacturers produce sustainable products. So, it will be useful to buy an open back headphone that is durable to have a long-lasting experience.
Ease of use
Some open-back headphones are not ergonomic while some are good to use; that’s why it is necessary to choose an open back headphone that will give you the comfort you need. Satisfaction is excellent, and not having an open-back headphone that doesn’t fit well will leave you uncomfortable and unsatisfied.
Top 5 Open Back Headphones
1. Audio-Technica Over-Ear Monitor Headphones
This open-back headphone comes with exceptional quality and engineering for optimal comfort. It has 40 mm drivers with copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils for ensuring comfortable usage. The product is tuned for enhanced low-frequency performance. It is also designed for studio tracking and mixing.
This product comes with circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments. It has a convenient single-side cable exit. The product has a frequency response of between 15 to 20,000 Hz. It has a sensitivity of 96 dB and a maximum input power of 700 mW.
- The device is durable with a high-quality plastic build.
- It has a good frequency range, which is also transparent and precise.
- It is a long-lasting device.
- It works fine on all audio devices.
- It has an earcup swivel of 15 degrees in both directions.
- It has excellent sound quality.
- It has no sound leaks when it is worn.
- It comes with a well-cushioned headband and earphone, and it can be adjusted to any size you like.
- It comes with a straight cable which you will love.
- They don’t come with a cover, and they are not collapsible.
- The cable is not detachable.
2. Sennheiser SR Open-Back Headphone
It is an excellent open-back headphone that delivers exceptional and balanced sound. This product comes with a padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads provide extreme comfort for prolonged listening. It is compatible with every audio device, including phones, computers, tablets, and stereo components. Sennheiser open-back headphone comes with two cables, which are a 3-meter cable terminated with a ¼ inch jack and 1.2-meter cable terminated with a 3.5 mm jack.
It features an inline one-button remote with a microphone for picking calls. It is exceptionally light and equipped with a high-quality padded leatherette headband and luxuriously soft fabric ear pads.
- It comes at a reasonable price.
- It comes with a suitable surround mode, leaving only your music to surround you.
- It comes with an outstanding performance.
- It is reliable and durable.
- It provides outstanding cushioning for extreme comfort.
- It has seamless connectivity.
- It is designed to channel audio directly into your ears, producing a more in-room like listening environment.
- It does not overemphasize any part of the sound.
- It is light weighted.
- The product doesn’t bring out all the sounds.
3. Samson SR850 Studio Headphones
This Samson SR850 open-back headphone is a professional studio headphone. It comes withN an open ear design for maximum isolation. The product has 50 mm drivers for exceptional reproduction and a wide dynamic range. It has a 10Hz – 30 kHz frequency response.
The headphone comes with a self-adjusting headband for a secure and comfortable fit. It has 32 Ohm impedance, a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch gold plated adapter included in its packaging. The product has an outstanding listening solution for sound engineers, musicians, and general music enthusiasts.
- It comes with a strong bass response, ultra-clear highs, and an excellent open ear design.
- It comes with the right size and sound capacity.
- It comes with an excellent design for comfortable listening sessions.
- The cushioning is superb and excellent.
- It has unique noise cancellation, and it is suitable for traveling.
- It has a balance equalizer.
- It comes with an impressive quality of high frequencies.
- It doesn’t come with enough cushioning on the headband.
4. iBall Decibel Smart Headphone
This open-back headphone is a smart Bluetooth headphone with a good built-in microphone. It is integrated with Alexa voice assistant. The product provides multiple playback options such as Bluetooth, MicroSD, FM Radio, and 3.5 mm AUX to offer you more convenience.
It has a playtime of six hours with an incredibly rich sound. It has an exquisite finish with a soft cushioned headband and ear cups for a comfort great use. The product comes with a built-in rechargeable battery, and it is available in three stunning colors. It produces the best sounds and gives you an excellent experience when it is used.
- It has a comfortable head design with easy use of on-ear cups.
- It has a soft cushioning headband and earcups for long hours of comfort.
- It can be used as wired and wireless headphones.
- The product comes with an excellent sound and portable design.
- It has a nice foldable feature.
- The Bluetooth connectivity is good.
- It comes with an added advantage of SD card and FM Radio.
- It has a good battery back-up.
- It is straightforward to operate and has a matte finish.
- The noise cancellation is not so good.
- The sounds are sometimes audible outside on higher volumes.
5. Beyerdynamic Stereo Headphones
It has an ultra-soft ear pad, circumaural design, and adjustable headband. The product comes with a 90-degree swiveling ear cup and an impressive open-back design. . The product comes with a 98 dB nominal sound pressure level. It has a single-sided cable of 3 meters with a lovely mini-jack for an MP3 player included. This product comes with outstanding wearing comfort. It comes with a nice audio quality, which is suitable for lovers of music.
- It comes with suitable plastic material.
- It has 32-ohm impedance and a 5 to 23000 Hz frequency range
- Its high and mid are clear.
- The sound quality is good.
- The headband and earcup cushioning are good.
- The cord is too long and cumbersome.
- The build is not travel-friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can they work on phones?
Yes, they work on all devices with audio input.
2. Can it be used for gaming?
Yes, it can be used for gaming. They come with excellent sound quality and an awesome microphone for communication.
3. Are they all wired?
No, some are wired while some are wireless. Also, many models offer detachable wire.
4. Are they all designed with plastic or metal material?
Most are designed with plastic, while some come with plastic and metal materials.
5. How long is the wired cable?
The cable length can be from 1.2m to 3m.
Open-back headphones are critical listening, high-quality audio files, and at-home listening. They are not good for commuting, blocking outside noise, listening on the plane, listening at the office. Open-back headphone tend to be more fragile when it is in use, they need to be treated with care to a long-lasting experience. While purchasing the best open-back headphone, it is essential to have detailed knowledge about the device before you go ahead to purchase. If you want the right open-back headphone, it’s vital to choose the product that meets your needs.