6 Best open back headphones
With all the buzz surrounding the noise cancellation feature in the common advanced headphones, the open back headphones work contrary to it. These are designed to let the sound escape and allow outside noise to mix with your headphone’s music.
These are suitable for listeners who prefer open and natural sounds. These open headphones feel gentle and create lighter pressure on the ear area, thereby providing more comfort during long listening periods.
The open-back headphones perfectly meet the listening requirements of those individuals who are not comfortable with the isolated sounds of closed headphones. It helps you to stay aware of the things happening in your surroundings while you are listening to music.
6 Best Open Back Headphones in India
Types of open-back headphones
Open-back headphones for mixing and mastering
These headphones have open-back as the name implies, and allow airflow into the headphones promoting sound. They also make it natural and suited for mixing.
Though expensive, they are usually worth it as they minimise internal reflection, gives better frequency and produces excellent sound. The qualities of these models make sure your eardrums are secured.
It is also suitable for sound isolation. They are comfortable and good for engineers or an audiophile while recording or mixing.
Open-back headphones for gaming
These headphones also come with soft and comfortable padding. This design is made unique so that even after hours of gaming and recording, it doesn’t hurt the ears.
The open-back design helps to discern background noise, it doesn’t cut you off from the world, and it leaves enough noise from the surroundings to know what is going on so you wouldn’t get into unnecessary trouble with anyone for not answering them.
They have transducers that help the audio get into the ear directly, making the sound great. Their sound qualities never seem to disappoint, and most of these open-back headphones are durable, excellent quality but are usually expensive.
Choosing the best open-back headphone is vital because it gives you an enjoyable experience when it is in use. Here’s a list of what to know when purchasing the open-back headphones.
Blocking external noise
Though open-back headphones leave you hearing a little noise from the surrounding. If it gives excellent sound in isolation, it should also be noted before purchasing.
The open-back headphones should be tested. It must balance on both ears and make sure it isn’t slacking off. An open back headphone that is tested and trusted will provide optimal comfort when it is in use.
Therefore, ensure you have detailed knowledge about the product before you purchase for maximum comfort.
The prices of these headphones are usually expensive, but there are also cheap ones. Make sure you do not settle for low-quality open-back headphones because of its price. You could save a little more to purchase a fine and better quality headphone.
Some designs look unattractive and dense, while others are lovely and eye-catching. Some are solidly built due to the material used, while some are fancily built and might not last very long when in use.
Some open-back headphones have a sound-proof design, while some don’t have a sound-proof design. Therefore, before you buy an open back headphone, it’s crucial to know the headphone’s design is suitable for you.
It’s vital to know how durable the open back headphone is before buying it. Several open-back headphones are available in the not durable markets, and it won’t be good to have them.
While purchasing a durable open-back headphone, it’s important to cross-check the brand and the product’s customer review to know its authenticity.
Some reliable manufacturers produce sustainable products. It will be useful to buy an open back headphone that is durable to have a long-lasting experience.
Ease of use
Some open-back headphones are not ergonomic while some are good to use, so that’s why it is necessary to choose an open back headphone that will give you the comfort you need.
Satisfaction is important, and not having an open-back headphone that doesn’t fit well will leave you uncomfortable and unsatisfied.
Top 6 Open Back Headphones
1. Audio-Technica Over-Ear Headphones
This open-back headphone comes with exceptional quality and engineering for optimal comfort. It has 40 mm drivers, with copper-clad aluminium wire voice coils for ensuring comfortable usage.
The product is tuned for enhanced low-frequency performance. It is also designed for studio tracking and mixing. This product comes with circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments.
It has a convenient single-side cable exit. The product has a frequency response of between 15 to 20,000 Hz. It has a sensitivity of 96 dB and a maximum input power of 700 mW.
- The device is durable with a high-quality plastic build
- It has a good frequency range, which is also transparent and precise
- It is a long-lasting device
- It works fine on all audio devices
- It has an earcup swivel of 15 degrees in both directions
- It has excellent sound quality
- It has no sound leaks when it is worn
- It comes with a well-cushioned headband and earphone, and it can be adjusted to any size you like
- It comes with a straight cable which you will love
- It doesn’t come with a cover and is not collapsible
- The cable is not detachable
2. Sennheiser Headphones
Sennheiser is an innovative music equipment brand that has been shaping the future of audio for the past 70 years. It supplies high-quality products that deliver the perfect sound for creating new benchmarks in audio.
The Sennheiser HD 599 special edition is a remastered open-back headphone that provides best-in-class sound quality. It is a high-performance headphone that features timeless design and superior build quality for delivering exceptional audio quality.
It employs Sennheiser proprietary transducer technology and comes with the ‘Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement’ (E.A.R) design. It is an ideal open-back headphone that is perfectly suited for audiophile sound reproduction.
- It is an open back headphone that provides a natural tonal balance with outstanding detail and definition along with exceptional spatial performance
- It offers excellent sound separation and crystal clear vocals. It allows you to experience the sounds of each instrument playing separately
- It comes with a deep and wide sound stage that gives the feeling of sound coming from all directions
- It is one of the best open-back headphones for audiophiles as it provides awesome sound acoustics
- It provides superior wearing comfort due to its large ear cups that seamlessly fit over your ears
- It features a classic back finishing along with matte metallic silver accents. This helps you to make your style statement and wear your fashion wherever you go
- It is engineered for impressing music listeners with its outstanding sound performance
- It provides extreme comfort with its lightweight and robust design
- It features premium components such as Sennheiser engineered transducers that employ aluminium voice coils for producing extremely low distortion, high-efficiency, and exceptional sound dynamics
- It provides exceptional comfort that is designed for long listening sessions through its padded headband and comfy velour covered ear cushions
- It does not feature Bluetooth functionality or microphone
3. Sennheiser Open-Back Headphone
It is an excellent open-back headphone that delivers exceptional and balanced sound. This product comes with a padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads provide extreme comfort for prolonged listening.
It is compatible with every audio device, including phones, computers, tablets, and stereo components. Sennheiser open-back headphone comes with two cables, a 3-meter cable terminated with a ¼ inch jack and a 1.2-meter cable terminated with a 3.5 mm jack.
It features an inline one-button remote with a microphone for picking calls. It is exceptionally light and equipped with a high-quality padded leatherette headband and luxuriously soft fabric ear pads.
- It comes at a reasonable price
- It is reliable and durable
- It provides outstanding cushioning for extreme comfort
- It has seamless connectivity
- It is designed to channel audio directly into your ears
- It does not overemphasise any part of the sound
- It is light weighted
- The product doesn’t bring out all the sounds
4. Samson Headphones
This Samson SR850 open-back headphone is a professional studio headphone. It comes with an open ear design for maximum isolation.
The product has 50 mm drivers for exceptional reproduction and a wide dynamic range. It has a 10Hz – 30 kHz frequency response. The headphone comes with a self-adjusting headband for a secure and comfortable fit.
It has 32 Ohm impedance, a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch gold plated adapter included in its packaging. The product has an outstanding listening solution for sound engineers, musicians, and general music enthusiasts.
- It comes with strong bass response, ultra-clear highs, and an excellent open ear design
- It comes with the right size and sound capacity
- It has unique noise cancellation, and it is suitable for travelling
- It has a balance equaliser
- It comes with an impressive quality of high frequencies
- It doesn’t come with enough cushioning on the headband
5. iBall Headphone
This open-back headphone is a smart Bluetooth headphone with a good built-in microphone. It is integrated with Alexa voice assistant.
The product provides multiple playback options such as Bluetooth, MicroSD, FM Radio, and 3.5 mm AUX to offer you more convenience.
It has a playtime of six hours with a vibrant sound. It has an exquisite finish with a soft cushioned headband and ear cups for a comfort great use.
The product comes with a built-in rechargeable battery, and it is available in three stunning colours. It produces great sounds and gives you an excellent experience when it is used.
- It has a comfortable head design with easy use of on-ear cups
- It has a soft cushioning headband and earcups for long hours of comfort
- It can be used as wired and wireless headphones
- The product comes with an excellent sound and portable design
- It has a nice foldable feature
- The Bluetooth connectivity is good
- It comes with an added advantage of SD card and FM Radio
- It has a good battery back-up
- It is straightforward to operate and has a matte finish
- The noise cancellation is not so good
- The sounds are sometimes audible outside on higher volumes
6. Beyerdynamic Headphones
It has an ultra-soft ear pad, circumaural design, and adjustable headband. The product comes with a 90-degree swivelling ear cup and an impressive open-back design.
The product comes with a 98 dB nominal sound pressure level. It has a single-sided cable of 3 meters with a lovely mini-jack for an MP3 player included. This product comes with outstanding wearing comfort.
It comes with a nice audio quality, which is suitable for lovers of music.
- It comes with suitable plastic material
- It has 32-ohm impedance and a 5 to 23000 Hz frequency range
- The sound quality is good
- The headband and earcup cushioning is good
- The cord is too long and cumbersome
- The build is not travel-friendly
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can they work on phones?
Yes, they work on all devices with an audio input.
2. Can they be used for gaming?
Yes, these headphonces can be used for gaming. They come with excellent sound quality and an awesome microphone for communication.
3. Are they all wired?
No, some are wired while some are wireless. Also, many models offer detachable a wire.
4. Are they all designed with plastic or metal material?
Most are designed with plastic, while some come with plastic and metal materials.
5. How long is the wired cable?
The cable length can be from 1.2m to 3m.
Open-back headphones are your ideal choice if you practically spend your entire day with your headphones on. It ensures that your ears feel great without any undue pressure when subjected to prolonged periods of headphone usage.
These open headphones are engineered for boosting sound clarity as per the type of music you are listening to. They effectively cancel out the echo sounds and allow you to pay attention to whatever is happening in your surroundings.
These are widely used by audiophiles and sound engineers in the music industry for recording and mixing sounds. These open headphones are also preferred by gamers who want to enjoy open and natural sounds during gaming.