Best Mosquito Repellents
Mosquito bites can not only be so annoying but also painful and disease-causing. If you live or work in an area heavily infested with mosquitos then it is highly recommended that you apply mosquito repellent products on your skin regularly.
Repellents can be defined as substances that are manufactured for use on bare skin to help people stay immune to mosquito bites. They are in various forms ranging from pump sprays to aerosols, liquids, solids (sticks), creams, and much more.
The approach for repellent products is not to kill mosquitoes and other dangerous insects but to prevent them from preying on human skin. We all know how these destructive insects can be so aggressive when it comes to the craving for human blood.
So aside from spraying their irritating noises outside the living room, it is very important to protect your own skin against them because killing them will never be the most accurate elimination method.
As mosquito repellent is a necessity for people, you need them to maintain a strict and clean environment. So to help you make the right choice from the market, today we will discuss these repellents.
6 Best Mosquito Repellents
Easy to Use
Long Lasting Effect
Best for warm coastal areas
Precautions Taken When Applying Repellents
The allergic reaction to mosquito’s saliva is what causes severe irritation on your skin when the mosquito bites you. However, you can inflict the pain of equal magnitude on yourself if you don’t apply repellents on your skin appropriately.
Here are some of the guidelines to follow when applying mosquito repellents on your skin:
- Repellents should be applied sparingly on the exposed skin parts of your body. Mosquitos are always looking for a bare spot, no matter how tiny it is. Do not apply it to where clothing covers unless the mosquito can bite through the piece of clothing.
- Expectant mothers and those nursing infants should either keep off or limit the use of repellents to avoid spilling the effects to the unborn baby.
- The strength of repellents lies in the active ingredients formulating the content in it. For instance, one that has a 30% DEET product will last up to 6 hours. Lower percentages of the ingredient will last for less time. So it is important to calculate to determine the intervals for applying your repellent of choice.
- While applying repellents to your skin, ensure your hand does not come into direct contact with your nose and lips. This prevents you from inhaling or ingesting the product as it is harmful to your health.
- In case you have fresh wounds or irritated skin on your body, it is important to avoid applying repellents to the affected areas because that would be detrimental to their healing.
- Wear protective clothing especially during peak mosquito seasons. Always have a pullover or long sleeve shirts when outside.
Different Types of Mosquito Repellents
There are several approaches and scientific methods of repelling mosquitoes away from our homes. These include electronic mosquito repellents, creams, sprays, perfumes, coils, vaporizer devices, oils, and much more.
The level of effectiveness in repelling mosquitoes is different for every method and their choice relies on the individual’s preference and budget. The section that follows will explore these methods in detail citing their advantages and disadvantages to help you decide your mode of choice.
Electronic Mosquito Repellents
This method of repelling mosquitoes is probably the safest technique since there are no chemicals involved. Also, there is no direct engagement or any form of contact with the mosquitoes.
An electronic mosquito repellent is designed to produce ultrasound that irritates mosquitoes to chase them away.
Mosquitoes have sensory nerves in their antennae that enable them to hear the high-pitched sounds produced by the electronic mosquito repellents. These sounds are usually transmitted by the male mosquitoes and received by the females who in turn avoid and run away from the noise.
Radio stations work adopts a similar principle by broadcasting frequencies higher than 15 kHz to repel mosquitoes away and allow adults to listen to their programs.
The composition of the liquid in the vaporizers includes an anti-oxidant, insecticide and perfume. The perfume is for deterring humans from detecting the bad smell while the anti-oxidant deprives mosquitoes of oxygen.
The insecticide, which is the most important component of the liquid contains Transfluthrin and a stabilizer.
Transfluthrin penetrates the skin of the mosquito to induce paralysis that slows movement in a mosquito. Eventually, it damages the nervous system disabling its movement completely.
These vaporizers, however, have negative health implications for human beings. The effects may include irritations, skin rashes, headaches, dizziness and threat to asthmatic individuals. It is also important to note that cats are allergic to vaporizers.
Mosquito repellent spray
There are trucks mounted with fogging units that apply mosquito repellents in the form of an ultra-low-volume (ULV) spray. The ULV spray comes as tiny droplets that float on air to kill mosquitoes at an instant it comes into contact.
This method of application uses less amount of the active ingredients required. For instance, an amount less than glass is effective for an area with the same size as a basketball pitch.
Since some spray contents like DEET contains harmful chemicals in their composition, they can pose detrimental health effects on human beings. To maintain safety while spraying for adult mosquitoes it is recommended that you take a number of precautions.
These include emptying the house of essentials like human and pet food, water bowls, children’s toys, small fish bonds, bird-baths, and staying off the sprayed area until it completely dries up.
Mosquito Repellent Lotion
This is the most convenient method because using it is so much easier and you can carry it along for your camps or other adventures with friends. If used in controlled amounts and frequency the method is considered safer as compared to sprays and vaporizers.
It is important, however, to realize that these lotions are composed of potent chemicals that are a threat to mosquitoes.
And if they are poisonous to mosquitoes excessive use on your body results in health complications for your skin. The chemicals slowly infiltrate your skin and continued heavy use may cause severe irritation and rashes on the skin.
Other factors to consider may include the type of active ingredients used in the manufacture of the lotion. For instance, DEET may be highly effective and gets absorbed into your skin quickly but subjects you to irritation.
Similarly, you should desist from regularly applying lotions that contain permethrin as they make you susceptible to rashes.
Expectant and lactating mothers should also avoid applying mosquito repellent lotions on their skin because it can affect the unborn baby or infant.
Mosquito Repellent Roll-On
This method involves directly applying the gel on the exposed areas of your skin to form some sort of mask or barrier that physically protects you from mosquito bites.
The active ingredients in the gel contain oils that are released to the atmosphere to prevent the original smell of your body from reaching mosquitoes. This way it becomes impossible for them to trace you.
The mode of application is simple as you only need to roll it on your body and the number of lines required is determined by the degree of mosquito infestation in the environment within.
Safety is also guaranteed because the active ingredients in the roll-on are all-natural. These include rosemary, mint, geranium, citronella and clove oils.
Mosquito repellents are available in different chemical compositions, sizes, modes of application (sprays or lotion), and vary in terms of the advantages and benefits that accrue to the users.
It is important to have all the details at your fingertips before visiting a store to purchase a repellent product of your choice. There are so many factors to be considered before making a decision on what type of repellent works best for you. Some of them include:
Ease of Application
As much as the mosquito repellent should emit heavy content that quickly covers a large area, care has to be taken to avoid drippy fluid that spills over to non-targeted areas.
The content should quickly dry on the skin to avoid causing irritation to the user. And here the percentage of DEET ingredient in the spray plays a role too.
The higher the percentage the more irritating it is and the longer it stays active on the skin. But we would suggest a lower percentage that can last for an average of 4 hours or less because their consequences are less severe.
This works differently for all the repellents available in the market. And again, the percentage of DEET in the product also determines the level of smell. Let’s face it, some repellents start to stink right from when the plastic opens and you can feel it deep in your nostrils.
While for some others you can hardly feel the foully smell unless you dive your nose onto the part of the skin that it has been applied to. The easiest way to tell a smelly repellent on the store is to literally pass it by your nose area to detect any smell leaks from it.
It is important to acknowledge that repellents cost money and so they must be economically applied while maximizing results. The size of the nozzle matters in the sense that it should minimize the content it emits as much as possible.
The formula for application should be a quick spray followed by hand-spreading the sprayed fluid to other areas of the exposed skin. This way the consumption becomes lower per round and saves on the product in the long run.
Kids have different chemical limits than adults. For instance, products made from the oil of lemon eucalyptus must not be applied to kids with less than 3 years of age.
It is best to check if the percentage of the active ingredient on the repellent agrees with the age of the users intended for the product. It is great to rely on the dry repellents because they effectively minimize irritation on your skin.
This especially goes to the people who have sensitive skin and scent. Dermatologists report that repellent products that adopt very active ingredients like Picaridin in large percentages can be destructive on sensitive skin layers. How the spray feels on your skin determines your comfort in the mosquito dominant areas outside.
Let’s now get into our own list of carefully chosen mosquito repellent products that rule the market in 2019. We came up with this list after extensive research and test on the products followed by hours of interviews with mosquito experts and dermatologists from well-performing nations of the world.
Read through carefully to understand your repellent of choice.
6 Best Mosquito Repellents
1. Good Knight Fabric Roll-On – Our Pick
This is a roll-on is a proven mosquito repellent designed to work on fabric. It has two main active ingredients in its composition; pure citronella and eucalyptus oils. You just need to apply at least 4 dots on your attire and it becomes effective for 8 hours.
The scent has a strong fragrance that one of the stakeholders joked about it entertaining and keeping mosquitoes around rather than chasing them away. But it surely is the strong smell which makes Good Knight so effective even with the little amount applied at a time
- A bottle of Good Knight fabric roll-on contains a 100% natural ingredients. It has citronella and eucalyptus oils that combine to strongly repel away from the mosquitoes.
- When 4 dots of the product are applied to your fabric the effect lasts for 8 good hours. The scent with this product is so strong but sweet on the human nose.
- The term “Good Knight” might insinuate that the roll-on is only applied at night but the truth of the matter is that you can apply it at any time of the day anywhere. You need to apply it to the uniforms of school going kids to protect them and partly their friends while at school. It is a very convenient compact product.
- Good Knight fabric roll-on is non-selective when it comes to eliminating mosquitoes. It protects you from all sorts of them including those that particularly spread malaria, dengue and chikungunya.
- It works under any weather conditions including rain. You don’t have to worry about it getting washed by the rains. It has been proven to work outdoors no matter the situation and your kids are well-protected even if they were playing in the rain.
- It has no harm when accidentally applied directly on the skin.
- Can be used by expectant mothers with no side effects.
- Highly portable and easy to use.
- A bit strong for babies below two months of age.
- The amount in it is limited to the only 8ml.
2. Mamaearth Anti-Mosquito Repellent- Fabric Roll-On – Easy to Use
Mamaearth anti-mosquito repellent is a fabric roll-on containing a mixture of natural oils meant to repel away mosquitoes but does not leave stains on your clothes.
It has a sweet fragrance that should not be used alongside a perfume because the two smells can sharply clash leading to less effect on the mosquitoes.
The repellent is suitable to all age groups and to attain maximum effectiveness it has to be applied to many areas of the body. Including the knee area, ankles, shoulders, and on the front around the tummy and chest.
The test results reveal that the product on one application has an effect that lasts for up to 8 hours.
- The active ingredients blended in Mamaerth formula includes natural products that are potent to scare the mosquitoes away. The particular components are lemongrass oil, caprylic capric triglycerides, eucalyptus and citronella oils.
- At least 5 drops on your clothes will sustain your immunity to mosquitoes for 8 hours. It does not matter whether you are indoors or outdoors.
- It is toxin-free as ingredients like DEET and alcohol are absent in the formula. There are no chemicals in it. Thus, the product safely applies to everyone in the household including kids.
- The roll-on is not sticky and this makes it easy to apply it on fabric parts of your clothes. Similarly, it fades away after hours being effective leaving your attire in the same state as when it was applied.
- For the kids as young as 2 months old or below, it is advisable to apply it on their baby strollers, prams, and cots to avoid them coming into a direct contact with Mamaearth because it is a bit strong for their age.
- Mamaearth is a value for money product that stays effective for long hours.
- Better than most night roll-ons.
- The smell may come off a bit strong, especially for people with respiratory allergies.
- Some users have complained about being short-changed in the amount of content in the bottle.
3. Bodyguard Herbal Mosquito Repellent Spray – Very effective
As the name suggests, Bodyguard is a product designed to protect your body against nasty bites by mosquitoes. It comes with a range of strong herbal ingredients ranging from natural extracts of aloe vera to Nepeta cataria and other technical scientific names that might make less sense to you but forms the foundation for its working.
Bodyguard is a known one because of the toughness with which it repels mosquitos and the way it comes at a very affordable price. Besides, it does not contain dangerous chemicals like DEET which makes it applicable to all the people irrespective of age. You can apply it happily on your skin and go off to your outdoor activities without anticipating irritations.
- Natural extracts from plants and no chemicals means there is neither a form of “killing” nor air pollution. Products with chemical ingredients like DEET kill the enemy but can also pose as much danger to kids. With Bodyguard all the contents are natural and comes with masks to protect children from air pollution.
- The bottle structure of Bodyguard is designed in a way that makes it easy to apply and last for long. A wider bottom and narrowed neck towards the opening gives it pressure when the handle is pressed for spray. A hand smear on the sprayed area allows for smooth distribution on the skin.
- The fragrance from the great mixture of the essential oils in its components makes it smell nice and skin-friendly. Thus, this serves kids, adults and the elderly alike.
- It has natural ingredients including oil from eucalyptus, aloe vera extracts, Citronella, and much more. This helps repel but not kill mosquitoes.
- Bodyguard herbal repellent comes in a 100ml bottle that can easily fit in a small purse or handbag.
- Can be applied on beds, clothing, car seat and exposed skin.
- Has a standby time of up to 8 hours.
- It comes in a nice package.
- It repels rather than kill mosquitoes.
- Uncontrolled spraying may empty the small bottle and costs high in the long run.
4. Nutree Pure Mosquito Repellent- Happy Skin Softener – Long Lasting Effect
This is one of the most effective and safest DEET-free mosquito repellents with a standby effect of up to 8 hours. BUGAWAY, the parent company that manufactures Nutree pure, is a well-established institution with a proven track record in producing leading oil-based repellents.
Nutree Pure is made from natural herbal extracts like lemongrass oil to avoid exposing your kids to harsh chemicals. The unique blend of elements in it ensures safe and effective elimination of mosquitoes without skin destruction.
- The Soyabean oil ingredient in it is vital for skin softening because of the high antioxidant content it has. This helps you develop a healthier skin while staying safe from mosquitoes.
- A 100ml bottle of Nutree Pure contains more than 450 sprays that can efficiently last for at least two months. Considering the quality of ingredients and the price that comes with makes Nutree Pure mosquito repellent economical.
- Safe for all age groups and people of different careers. Children, adults, sports persons, can all use it without fear of side effects.
- A single spray is effective for up to 8 hours. Most competing brands lose effect after a few hours of applying. But for Nutree Pure it is hard for mosquitoes to develop tolerance.
- The lemon eucalyptus component of the product not only serves in scaring away the mosquitoes but has a range of health benefits too. These include prevention of cold, cough, high temperatures, flu and sinusitis.
- There is peppermint oil in the composition of Nutree Pure that helps treat skin inflammations and has a relaxing effect on rashes and itch. Generally, the different oils in the repellent helps the skin in one way or another. To enhance your comfort while in pursuit of a healthy mosquito repellent skin.
- Does more than just repel mosquitoes from the human skin. It has many health benefits.
- The sprayer nozzle itself works really fine.
- The natural smell is appealing and efficiently replaces chemically prepared synthetic sprays
- There has been several versions and the latest one is not as good as the first one.
5. Strategi Mosquito Repellent- Goodbye Mosquitoes – Best for warm coastal areas
This is specifically a room sprayer repellent that is made from oil extracts of natural plants. The herbal strategi mosquito repellent comes in two 100ml bottles that can service a 3-bedroom for a month.
It is most appropriate to houses located in Equatorial and warm coastal regions where mosquitoes breed in millions.
Diseases like malaria and dengue can be deadly and need to be treated with the same level of seriousness as cholera and ebola.
The application of Strategi repellent in your room requires that you spray the air around and insist on the hidden inaccessible areas under bed, living room furniture, and behind the curtains to fully eliminate their presence.
- Strategi repellent is made of natural and non-toxic blend of ingredients that makes it versatile in application. You can use it at home or public spaces like hospitals, classrooms, hotels, and offices without worrying about imposing any side effects on the occupants.
- Since it is a room sprayer, you can adjust the mode of application to use it sparingly. For instance, you can spray at the windows, doors, and ventilation in the evening. You can then shut them up to prevent mosquitoes from entering inside. This way you get the desired results while economizing on your product.
- The plant ingredients in the Strategi repellent including neem, citronella, and cedarwood give it a fresh fragrance that is pleasing to the nose but tough on mosquitoes. Most chemical repellents have a choking smell that people can’t stand.
- Each bottle has 450 shots that can last for a month in a 2-3 bedroom house. This level of certainty helps you plan your usage effectively according to your budget.
- The herbal strategy is applicable to all age groups and is environment-friendly. It does not pollute the waterways.
- Can be diluted with water and shaken well before spraying on the prospective mosquito hiding places.
- It can also be applied on body parts like feet.
- May have the least effect on mosquitoes if not applied correctly.
- You may need to refresh the scent or else mosquitoes will revisit in a few hours.
6. Dabur Odomos Repellent Cream- Non-Sticky Cream – Unique Odor
Mosquitoes usually detect us by our body odors. That is to say, the smell of your body directs mosquitoes to your blood. Dabur Odomos is the Mosquito repellent cream that makes you virtually invisible to the mosquitoes by shielding your unique body odor from reaching them.
This way they can fly around but never get a chance to know your presence and therefore won’t attack. It’s a lightweight product that you can easily carry with you on your trekking sprees.
- The repellent is made up of natural ingredients including aloe vera and citronella oil. Aloe Vera is a popular plant with many health benefits to human beings.
- This cream repellent when applied once lasts for up to 12 hours. Some repellents wear off after a few hours and mosquitoes start reigning on you again. Dabur Odomos’ effectiveness is unmatched.
- It is free of chemicals. Your family is safe because they don’t have to inhale any harmful sprays or smoke in dealing with these pesky insects.
- It helps you to avoid malaria, dengue and other mosquito-borne diseases by creating a virtual shield that cannot be penetrated by the mosquitoes around you.
- It is light for easy portability.
- It does not stick to the fabric.
- Cannot be mixed with other body lotions.
- May wear off with sweats and require regular application on the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What ingredients repel mosquitoes?
In the review of specific products in the article, you must have come across points where the ingredient components of the repellents are mentioned. The principle of repelling mosquitoes from reaching to your skin lies solely on the type and quality of the ingredients of the particular repellent.
Among the most common ingredients include oil extracts from lemon-eucalyptus, diethyl carbate, picaridin, diethyl phthalate, metofluthrin and DEET.
Over the years, DEET chemical has developed to become a standard in repelling mosquitoes. The most important thing while at the store is to check the active ingredients in the composition of a repellent product before purchasing it.
2. Is there a pill to repel mosquitoes?
Chemical bug sprays can have long term effects that are detrimental to your health. It is good to practice alternative methods of controlling mosquito bites and their severity.
This may sound surprising but there actually is a pill called Mozi-Q that contains all-natural ingredients for repelling mosquitoes. You have to take it prior to visiting a mosquito-infested area because it takes at least half an hour before starting to be effective. It doesn’t have any side effects and may apply to other annoying insects too.
3. What smells do mosquitoes hate?
Apart from many health benefits that Lavender provides to human beings, its purple flowers emit a pungent smell that scares mosquitoes away. They just hate the scent and will stay away from it as much as possible.
Oil extracts from the plant can be used as one of the ingredients in the manufacture of natural mosquito repellents. Other plants that produce an equally uncomfortable smell to mosquitoes include eucalyptus, lemon balm, garlic, peppermint, citronella, and much more.
4. What color lights do mosquitoes hate?
Black and Blue colors attract mosquitoes the most. So to avoid mosquito bites it is important not to wear clothing with these dark colors. White colors and khaki will help deter them. It actually used to sound like a myth to me until the day I experimented with a friend and the person with a dark pullover got attacked the most.
When it comes to buying the top mosquito repellent, we have sorted out the top 7 best products. From these, out top three picks include Good Knight Fabric Roll-On, Mamaearth Anti-Mosquito Repellent- Fabric Roll-On and Bodyguard Herbal Mosquito Repellent Spray. These top-rated mosquito repellent products ensure keeping mosquitoes at bay along with a safe environment.
The world is already filled with uncountable diseases some of which have no cure. Prevention is still better than cure. Diseases like malaria, chikungunya, yellow fever, Zika virus, and much more can all be prevented by avoiding mosquito bites as much as possible.
It is essential to pick a repellent of your choice to stay away from these deadly insects. Especially if you live in the hot tropics and swampy areas because they are their notorious breeding grounds.