Best Microwave Ovens Under INR 8000
Microwaves are slowly making their way into Indian households. Although the concept has been widely popular in the west and being used for many decades, the same cannot be said about India. Desi People view it just as a heating tool, although it is much more than that. With the introduction of many new cuisines and their requirement of a microwave, Indians are buying microwave ovens at a fast pace.
Korean companies like LG and Samsung were the first to enter this niche more than two decades ago. However, few of the best microwave ovens are by brands including homegrown ones like Godrej, Onida, Bajaj along with some multi-national ones. So with all this competition, there is sure to be a lot of products across many price ranges.
With the advancement in technology, it is now easy to find microwave oven price, types and uses online. This gives the customer a variety of options to choose from.
If you are looking to buy a microwave oven, it can be confusing looking at all the different features each one has to offer. Down below, we try to solve that problem and explain all the nuances associated with buying a microwave oven.
In this article, we have provided you every information needed to know before purchasing any microwave like why microwaves are needed? it’s working, types of microwaves and buyers guide. Lastly, we have also mentioned our Top 8 Microwave Ovens and FAQ’s.
Top 8 Best Microwave Ovens Under INR 8000
Oven With Best Design
Oven with Oil-Free Frying Option
Best Auto cooking oven
est Microwave for Bachelors
Best Value for Money Microwave
Highest Capacity Microwave
Child Safety Like Features
Can be Used For Broiling
Why are microwave ovens needed?
Microwave ovens can save time
Let’s be honest; most of the people living in urban areas are very busy. They have to manage their homes, families, as well as their work every single day. During all this hustle, they barely get time to cook. Microwave ovens provide an easy solution to all this as food just need to be placed in an oven and heated for a specified amount of time to get a meal ready.
Essential Nutrients are preserved
The most important aspect of food is the nutrition available in it that is essential to sustain human life. In the modern world, the growing consumption of fast food to save time is leading to a very unhealthy society. Microwave ovens are the answer to this persistent problem that is faced by millions of people.
Due to no direct heating of the food, most of its nutrients are preserved unlike in conventional cooking, where excessive heating of food leads to removal of vitamins and minerals. Food also gets more evenly cooked in a microwave.
Easy maintenance and cleaning
A modern-day microwave oven hardly requires any maintenance at all as technological advancement in this field has already reached its peak.
It isn’t necessarily a bad thing at all as a modern one can do all the things you would ever expect from a microwave. Also, due to its small size, a microwave oven is very easy to clean, and the chore requires a very short amount of time.
Simple to use
A person using a microwave would not need any prior knowledge of how to cook food. Moreover, a microwave itself is very simple to use and requires a user to just fiddle with some buttons to operate it.
Once the food is placed inside the oven after setting the time duration and temperature, there is no need to stir or add any new ingredients to it.
Also, once the food is cooked, the oven will itself turn off without any outside stimuli, this also takes care of overcooking and helps people who are forgetful in nature.
The application of a microwave oven is numerous in nature. They can be used to warm up old food, defrost some food kept in a freezer for a long time or to cook up some new delicious delicacies.
They can help people in one part of the world to cook a dish from the opposite side of the world in the comfort of their houses. This was unthinkable a century ago.
How do microwave ovens work?
Microwaves may be small in size, but they carry an enormous amount of energy in the form of heat. So much that direct exposure to them can even kill a human. That is why microwave ovens are chunky boxes made up of thick metal so that no one is directly exposed to them. Hence, you should always stay alert while using a microwave and take precautionary measures to ensure your safety.
A standard microwave oven is designed, as shown in the figure. It is surrounded by a strong and thick metal box which consists of a smaller machine which is used to generate microwaves. These machines are called magnetrons, and they are the only things carried forward from the first microwave ovens manufactured by Percy Spencer.
The waves generated by this are usually 12 cms in wavelength and perfect for a small-sized machine like an oven. All modern ovens consist of a waveguide, and as the name suggests, it is through this part that microwaves are blasted into the food compartment at the speed of light. The waves bounce off the opposite metal sheet at various angles and eventually hit the food item one way or the other. This time they don’t bounce at all.
However, the vibration of molecules is dependent on the type of food being heated. If it is mainly liquid, the heat produced will be massive and enough to boil it. If it is solid like vegetables and flour, it will be comparatively less hot. This is because molecules are loosely packed in liquids. Therefore, items like pie’s are moderately warm on the outside but piping hot on the inside when heated in a microwave.
Types of microwave ovens
Solo Microwave Oven
Solo microwave ovens are the most common type of microwaves found around. They don’t have any special features or specifications to separate it from the first microwave prototype created by Percy Spencer. The heating is done by just the magnetron element, which is used to produce the microwaves. They are also quite small in size and price range of this microwave oven is under 6000 INR.
Caution should be exercised while buying these comparatively crude appliances as they are suitable only for bachelors or a small family due to the small size. They are suitable only for reheating food, and you really can’t use it for grilling stuff or baking new dishes. The main reason for their low price and their name is the usage of only a single magnetron instead of multiple ones as found in some convection microwaves.
Grill Microwave Oven
Grill microwave ovens are similar to solo microwaves. They also come in similar sizes, have the same features, and cost the same amount of money. However, one thing that varies is the availability of grill panels(as the name suggests) to enable the user to cook meat, paneer, and veggies using a grill.
This is highly useful for us Indians as we cannot keep and maintain a tandoori inside our houses. Hence, this is the highest selling variety of microwaves found in India.
They also don’t cost too much like convection microwave ovens but are not as featureless as solo ovens. Most of the heating is done by the magnetron element and microwaves, but the grill panels themselves have some heating coils alongside that give the food item required charring and burns on the outer surface. The heating coils also help in warming up the air inside the microwave to fasten the cooking process.
Convection Microwave Oven
Convection microwave ovens are the most feature-laden type of microwaves that exist today. So, as expected, they also cost a bit more than the other two types. They consist of additional elements like an extra magnetron to produce even more microwaves, a heating coil to heat the air and cook food items faster, a small fan on the periphery to circulate the air throughout and make food items cook more evenly.
Due to all these extra bells and whistles, the efficiency of the convection microwave is unmatched by any other type. Also, if you are an avid baker who wants to bake delicious desserts, you need a convection oven as all the items above cannot be cooked with a solo or grill microwave oven. The size of the convection ovens is also more and is perfect for a family of four or more.
Your microwave oven must have a turntable or a revolving glass plate as it allows the food to be cooked evenly. If not, you will have to stop the oven at regular intervals to turn the food manually to allow even cooking.
It is a safety feature which prevents the microwave from running if the door is open or is ajar. Most ovens have double and triple interlocks, so if one of them fails, you will have a backup for safety.
Just like anything in the world. Size plays a major role in deciding on which microwave to buy. To decide on this, you need to look at all your needs from a microwave.
If you want to bake and cook some delicacies, it is better to buy a convection microwave having a large size. This will also make sense if you have a large family and would like to cook food or reheat it in large quantities. If you have a small family or you are living alone, it is best to buy an oven within 20 liters.
Microwaves are a very big industry, and many companies would want a piece of it. Hence, there are a host of companies trying to make their mark in the field. The most popular ones are LG, Samsung, and IFB. Among the Indian brands, Bajaj and Godrej lead the way.
It is always advisable to buy something from reputed brands, but sometimes they ask a premium price. So more than the company, it is better to see the value for money that the product is offering.
In some microwaves, there is an automatic sensor which detects how well the food is cooked. Once it senses the cooked food, it automatically switches off. This is quite new in the microwave industry and will take time to implement in all price ranges and hence it is currently found in only higher-priced microwaves.
Just like all big appliances, microwave ovens have been criticized for their large consumption of electricity. In recent times, companies are tackling this problem by giving the user a general idea of power consumption by rating it in terms of stars.
It is mentioned on the face of the appliances with one star indicating very high power consumption for the price and features while five stars indicate that the oven is very power efficient. It goes without saying that potential consumers should always buy an appliance with the highest power rating.
Child Safety Lock
As we have already stated, microwaves can be dangerous. The waves emitted by the magnetron can be so harmful that even slight exposure to them can kill a human being.
As we all know, children are ever curious and want to to know everything about how things work. This can lead them to fiddle with microwaves, which can have dire consequences. In order to avoid mishaps, companies these days are coming up with child safety lock.
So, if you are a family and have kids in the house, it is better to buy microwaves with child safety locks.
Control panels are the small set of keys and a display that help you in operating your microwave oven. The display gives you relevant information like duration and sometimes, the temperature is operating at.
In recent years to modernize microwaves, companies started implementing touch controls, but they were highly criticized due to constant failures and hence, even in high-end microwaves mechanical controls like push buttons were brought back. So, try to look for mechanical controls and avoid touchpads while buying microwaves.
8 Best Microwave under INR 8000
1. Godrej 20L Convection Microwave – Oven With Best Design
Godrej is a company whose history speaks for itself. They have been in continuous operation for more than 120 years and played a huge role in India after independence and before the liberalization of the economy. It reached a stage where every Indian household had at least one Godrej product.
They make everything from soaps, detergents, facial creams, diapers, etc. They were also one of the first Indian companies to produce microwaves when the concept was totally new back in the 1990s. Today, they still dominate the market and have some really good products in their inventory.
One of those superb products is GMX 20. It is the best microwave your money can buy in under 8000 INR. The features that it has on offer are some of the best in the category, and this combined with the quality that Godrej is always known for, provides a winning combination. Down below, we list down all its special characters, benefits, and things that it could be better at.
- The capacity of the microwave oven is 20 liters, and it is 40 cms in length, making it ideal for small families.
- It is a convection type oven, meaning heating coils, fans and the compulsory magnetron combine to give the best cooking times possible by microwave in this category
- The consumer can perform a variety of tasks like cooking, reheating, grilling, defrosting and baking
- A user can set multiple stages, and as soon as one stage is complete, a new stage starts on its own without any external stimuli
- The fan has been programmed not only to distribute heatwaves properly but also to cool down the microwave as soon as possible
- Beautiful design that will appeal to all sections of people
- Faster cooling is possible due to the fan staying on even after the cooking process is done
- Multistage cooking is a USP and increases efficiency and reduces the time required by the user
- The company doesn’t give any starter kit with the microwave
- 20 liters capacity might be low for a large family
2. Whirlpool 20L Convection Microwave – Oven with Oil-Free Frying Option
Whirlpool is one of the most well-known home appliances brands in the world. Unlike Godrej, they are exclusive to producing home appliances.
Refrigerator, microwave ovens, and washing machines prove to be the three pillars of the Whirlpool Corporation. Consistent Success in these domains for many decades in markets around the world has propelled it into the elite fortune 500 companies list.
The product we have on the list from whirlpool is one of the best in its price range. The product is all white, which gives it a simple yet classy look and will most likely appeal to all. It also has some USP’s and unique features that make it stand out from its rivals. Here, we list out all of them along with the pros and cons, so that you, as a consumer, will have a better understanding of the product.
- The simple yet classy design makes it different from all the other microwaves who sometimes try to overdo it in the style department
- Has a capacity of 20liters which is adequate for nuclear families but a bit small for someone living in a joint family
- Along with all the basic operations like cooking, grilling, reheating, etc. that we expect all convection ovens to do, this microwave is also capable of frying food items without oil
- Whirlpool claims that the cooking speed of this microwave is 50% faster than other microwaves in the same price and that it also retains 45% of the moisture content in food
- The company bundles in a cookbook with 118 recipes and some of those can be cooked within 2 minutes using the whirlpool oven
- The control panel of the microwave is touch-controlled unlike most other ovens
- Frying operation is unique and very useful. This is especially true for the health-conscious people as the frying requires 0% oil
- The rate of heating is very fast, and the amount of moisture retention is also good
- Providing of a cookbook is a nice gesture by the company
- Since the panel is touch-controlled, it won’t work when your hands are wet or have some kitchen dirt on them
3. Mitashi 20 L Convection Microwave Oven – Best Auto cooking oven
An intelligent and efficient microwave oven that automatically sets and maintains the optimum power level needed for your food to be cooked properly. Mitashi 20 L Convection Microwave Oven (MiMW20C8H100) is a new addition to the market which comes with an ocean of features. The product is rated as 800-wattage, which ensures even cooking of food. The five micro power level offers you the flexibility to set the optimum temperature. Let us look at the other features of this product.
- It is a Convection Microwave oven that can be used for baking, grilling, reheating, defrosting and cooking.
- It comes with a turntable glass plate of size 245mm, which allows the food to be cooked evenly.
- It has an LED display which shows you all the settings and makes this product user-friendly and easy to operate.
- The power consumption of this oven is rated as 800-wattage, which ensures the food is cooked correctly.
- Five micropower levels offer you the flexibility to choose the optimum temperature setting for your food.
- The cooking is Fast Forwarded. Just press the weight and start cooking.
- It has a gross capacity of 20 liters, which is very good and suitable for bachelors as well as small families that have fewer requirements.
- The Stay Warm feature delivers a deficient microwave pulse inside it. After the food is prepared, you can still keep it inside the oven without fearing that it would get overcooked
- The Auto-cook feature takes the guesswork and automatically sets and maintains the correct power levels.
- The oven ensures multi-stage cooking, which could be best suitable according to your requirements.
- The glass door allows you to look inside the food being cooked without opening it. Opening it, again and again, would not enable it to cook food properly.
- You can manually set the time for cooking, and the oven indicates when the food is cooked or reheated.
- The child lock ensures safety if they accidentally touch or use it.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty on the product as well as a 1-year guarantee of the Magnetron.
- It is not energy efficient.
4. Godrej 19L Convection Microwave Oven – Best Microwave for Bachelors
The 3rd product on this list is again from the now-familiar brand, Godrej. This is a testament to how good their products are and how much control they have on the market currently.
This one is like a smaller brother to the 1st product on the list. Both have identical design languages, and this one is priced slightly lower thanks to the little comprise in size. We try to list down all its prominent features, advantages and disadvantages that it comes within the section below for potential customers.
- It has the same floral pattern and black grey color combination on the front
- The capacity is 19L, which isn’t a big difference as compared to other microwaves in the same price range. This is also suitable for small families
- Unlike its costlier counter-part, this misses out on a cooking feature but can do baking, reheating, defrosting and grilling
- With this particular oven, you can multitask by heating many types of food at the same time or grill and defrost two food items at the same time
- Defrosting is one of the most efficient tasks it performs, and anyone dealing with a lot of meat in their daily life should definitely consider this
- It also consists of an auto cooling feature using a fan to cool it faster after usage
- The amount of temperature ranges available is really good
- The design is captivating in nature
- Godrej is a very trusted brand, and you can be assured of its quality
- Capacity is quite low
- The cooking feature really should have been included in it
5. Bajaj 20L Grill Microwave Oven – Best Value for Money Microwave
Bajaj electrical is a subbranch of the globally famous Bajaj corporation. Bajaj is a household name in India owing to their large array of products in every possible category.
The electrical wing of this famous brand was first set up decades ago and are now producing a host of electrical products like refrigerators, microwave ovens, fans, coolers, lighting solutions, etc. They have also tied up with international brands like Morphy Richards and Platini to take care of their operations in India.
The oven is one of the cheapest on this list but doesn’t skip out on many features as you expect from a lower-priced product. This microwave oven from Bajaj can do every task that a convection oven is expected to perform like heating, defrosting, grilling, etc.
Here, we have listed down its main features, advantages of the product compared to others and the disadvantages too for a consumer to get the complete picture of the product
- The capacity of the microwave is the standard 20 liters, which is very good for the price that one is paying. Even some ovens priced double of this come with a 20-liter capacity
- The tasks that you can perform with this microwave oven are cooking, reheating, defrosting and grilling
- The oven comes with a multi-stage cooking feature which is exceptional considering the price
- Along with temperature and time settings, you can also adjust the power level of the oven to get optimal performance.
- For protection against hazards, a thermal fuse has been incorporated
- The multi-stage cooking feature is not found commonly in this price range, but this oven has it
- The power setting can be a boon for people who are time conscious
- The company has kept in mind safety features like a thermal fuse
- It doesn’t have tactile buttons for the control panel but knobs, which are out of fashion these days.
6. Borosil Prima 30L Toaster Grill – Highest Capacity Microwave
Borosil is the only company in this list that doesn’t manufacture any other big home appliances and is solely concentrated on microwaves.
Once you hear the name borosil, you might think what a glassware company is doing on a list of best microwave ovens, but they indeed produce some good products like these.
Borosil mainly deals with microwave proof cookware and is the leader in India, but also exports to the USA and Netherlands. But, many don’t know that they sell a few microwaves too.
The product we have for review here is one of the best selling products on Amazon in the microwave category. This is because the specifications offered by this microwave can give a tough fight to others placed high above it in the price range.
It also boasts of the biggest capacity in the sub-8000 rupee market. Here are a list of all its specifications, good and bad aspects for you to consider before making a purchase.
- The capacity of the product is a whopping 30 liters.
- Along with the normal operations like grilling, heating, cooking, baking and defrosting, a user can also perform functions like roasting and rotisserie
- It has six power combinations based on the amount of time you have to cook and on the operation to be performed
- The timer can be set at a maximum of 60 minutes
- The company claims that it is one of the most power-efficient microwaves in its category
- The design of the microwave is simple to look at but is very functional with big handles and knobs
- The size is definitely a big plus point as many manufacturers only provide 20-liter ovens at this price
- The Six-stage options for heating are not found in any other microwave
- It can also perform toasting and rotisserie, which won’t be found on any other microwave in this range
- Most microwaves have a 30-minute timer/while this one has a 60- minute one
- 2-year warranty on a microwave is not given by any other manufacturer
- It doesn’t have tactile buttons, but knob ones, which are outdated
7. IFB 20L Solo Microwave – Child Safety like features
IFB is one of the numerous Indian brands that is looking to become the king of consumer electronics in Indian but taking on the big international brands like Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool.
The company came into existence in 1974 with the assistance of Heinrich Schmidt of Switzerland, and after that, there has been no looking back. It has around 250 exclusive retail outlets in India and also sells its products abroad.
The product we are reviewing is one of the many from IFB’s portfolio but is the most popular. While its features may seem inferior other products placed higher on this list, it won’t be a bad option at all considering that IFB is well-known and their products always have quality.
Down below, we listed down all its qualities, specifications, advantages, and disadvantages that you should be aware of.
- It has a capacity of 20 liters. This makes it suitable for bachelors and small nuclear families
- It is a solo microwave and hence consists of only one magnetron
- It can perform cooking, defrosting, and reheating operations. Baking and grilling can’t be done as it doesn’t consist of heat coils and fans
- It consists of power range control which is hardly found in solo microwaves around this price
- There are six power ranges, and one is dedicated specially for defrosting
- The maximum time you can set on the oven is 30 minutes
- It is manufactured by a reputed brand like IFB, and hence you will get a high-quality product
- The power range technology will prove to be a time-saver for many people
- It has a child safety lock to prevent children from misusing it
- It is a solo microwave, meaning you can’t bake bread, cakes, muffins, etc
- Knobs should have been replaced by mechanic mechanical buttons to give it a modern look
- No unique aspects of the product or the design
8. Morphy Richards RSS 24L Microwave – Can be Used For Broiling
Morphy Richards is an English brand that was founded way back in 1934 and has been manufacturing consumer appliances since then. Almost every home in England will have a Morphy Richards product just like we have Godrej and BPL, here. In India, their product is controlled and distributed by Bajaj Electricals and its stores.
The microwave that we have here is one of the cheapest on the list and hence we really can’t expect it to have top of the line specifications.
Whatever features it does have, it will execute it with perfection as expected from a product of Morphy Richards. Down below, you will find the list of features and specifications. This will help you in deciding whether the product is right for you and your household.
- The capacity of the microwave is 24 liters, and so, it is bigger than most other ovens in this list. This makes it suitable for a family of four
- The body is made from stainless steel to provide more uniform heating
- It consists of a rotisserie which is hardly found in this price range and is ideal for meat grilling
- Along with basic operations, it can also broil, rotisserie and toast food items
- The product comes with a crumb tray that collects all the bits of fallen food so that it is easier to clean
- Although the specifications aren’t great, it has a nice feature set that can be used to set itself apart from the competition
- Operations like a rotisserie, broiling, and toasting can’t be done even on ovens twice its price
- Stay-on function is present, which keeps food kept inside the oven hot even after 2 hours
- Crumb tray makes cleaning the oven easier
- The design isn’t that pleasing to the eyes
- Stainless steel exterior makes heat dissipation tough
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which type of microwave oven is best for home use?
Convection Microwave is the best option for home use.
2. Which is the best microwave oven with the grill?
The best microwave with a grill is Borosil Prima 30L Toaster Grill.
3. Which microwave oven is best – convection or grill?
A Grill Microwave oven is best suited for re-heating various food items, cooking or grilling. Thus, one can be able to enjoy starters such as tikkas and kebabs.
If you are buying a Convection oven, it has various functionalities such as baking, which helps you to cook different food items such as cakes, cookies, pizzas, etc. So, considering these facts, the best oven is Convection oven.
4. What kind of cookware can we use in microwaves?
Only microwave-safe utensils need to be kept inside the oven. This special cookware are made of pyrex or pyrogenic substances. Using normal cookware can damage both the utensil as well as the microwave
5. What is the proper way to clean a microwave oven?
Cleaning an oven is very much required as the food spilled inside accidentally can cause fires and also affects the taste of other food items kept inside the microwave. The best way to avoid this is to regularly clean the spilled food and wipe the whole insides with baking powder and vinegar
6. How to know if a utensil is microwave safe?
Containers that have squiggly lines indicate that they are microwave safe. Even if you don’t find any symbol, just keep the container in a microwave and set the lowest temperature possible for less than 1 minute. Take it out and see if it is warm. Warmness indicates that it isn’t microwaved safely.
7. Do microwave ovens need setting-up or installation?
For most free-standing microwave ovens, no installation is required at all. You just would need to plug it into an appropriate socket. However, if you are buying a wall-mounted variant, it would definitely need installation from an expert
8. What kind of cookware can’t be used in microwaves?
All normal containers that we use in day-to-day life like those made from plastic and metal can’t be used in a microwave. But you can easily get microwave-safe cookware online or in the market.
So that was the detailed article on microwaves under 8000 rupees. It will give you everything you would need to know before making a purchase. It has products for every class and every requirement. If you want the best all-around microwave, the Godrej 20L one has to be it. If you want the best value-for-money product, it has to be the Bajaj 20L oven or the one from Morphy Richards. If you are brand conscious, you should buy the whirlpool one. However, if you are not, the Borosil 30L microwave will be the best bet.