Best Lumbar Support Pillows
Our stressful and sedentary lifestyle requires us to slog for long hours in incorrect sitting postures while working in an office, driving cars, watching movies, playing online games, etc. No wonder, back pain has become a part of our lives.
The unhealthy sitting postures take a heavy toll on our spinal column resulting in achy back and restless legs. This necessitates the usage of lumbar support pillows that are ergonomically designed to support the lumbar spine.
A lumbar support pillow provides excellent support for your back while sitting so that you can maintain correct sitting posture, avoid muscle fatigue, and enhance blood circulation.
In this review, you will read about the types of lumbar support pillow, advantages of using back cushion, multiple points to consider before buying a back support cushion, top 12 best lumbar support pillows with their various descriptions and frequently asked questions.
Top 12 Lumbar Support Pillows in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best Multipurpose Use
Best Curve structure
Best for Domestic use
Best Adjustable Pillow
How does it work?
Lumbar support pillows, as mentioned, are used in supporting the lumbar region or back in particular and have been designed in various forms. They are either in the office chairs people sit in at work or pillows at home or support pillows in the car.
They work so that when placed in position, the back adjusts to the shape in which it comes, and consistent use will ensure adaptability to that position.
Advantages of using a Lumbar Support Pillow
Lumbar support pillows are used to support the lumbar region or back in particular and come in various forms.
Here are some advantages of using a lumbar support pillow –
After a long day at work or strenuous exercise or chores at home, there is a need to relax. With lumbar support pillows, relief and comfort are guaranteed for the user.
Sometimes, people strain their backs to do or carry out activities such as driving.
The lumbar support pillow provides the support needed to the lower back region, making it more convenient and more comfortable to carry out activities.
Lumbar support pillows prevent slouching by enforcing god posture. It limits the unnatural bending of the spine. Slouching causes the lower spin area to bend outwards, which is the opposite of its natural bending.
Unnatural bending of the spine for an extended period can lead to muscle tightness, pinched nerves, and vertebrae restructuring.
Redesigns the Spine
For people who have gone through a traumatic experience involving the spine or having postural defects, a support pillow helps to redesign the spine and improve life quality.
Back support pillow not only prevents slouching, but it also develops a healthy posture. By maintaining the good chair posture, it helps in improving and maintaining good standing and walking posture.
Also, standing upright with square shoulders and head up gives you a good, attractive appearance and confidence.
These pillows can be used for a lot of things, including car seats. Many cushions also come with adjustable straps that prevent the pillow from slipping.
Chiropractors and physical therapy are expensive. The chronic back pain develops slowly, but before you know it, you will be walking with a cane. The lumbar support pillow is an affordable alternative.
It is cost-effective, and you can try different models until you find the perfect pillow and save yourself from lifelong chronic back pain.
Types of Lumbar Support Pillow
Since lumbar support pillows were made for convenience, they must be available in different types. The three types of lumbar pillows known are;
Adjustable Lumbar Support Pillow
This type of pillow can be moved and removed, i.e., adjusting to fit into a particular space or form for convenience. The design is entirely outstanding and basic for a start but cannot be moved from one place to another.
Portable Lumbar Support Pillow
Portable lumbar pillow, on the other end, can be used anywhere and anytime because they can be removed and fixed at different intervals, i.e., while you may use them in your car, you could also use them in your office.
Towel or Small Pillow
Lastly, with respect to size and a towel, or a small pillow is effective when used in certain places. They are mobile also but can only be used for low-duty operations. It is rolled or folded to the desired thickness.
Buying Guide: What you should Consider?
There are a few things one must consider when buying any lumbar support pillow at all.
These factors are important because they help reduce choice, so one comes out with a suitable pick and, at the same time, knows products that are good or bad.
When buying the best seat cushion for lower back pain, the first and basic thing you should look out for is the back support and what it has to offer.
People that prefer long back support pillows should be careful when selecting their various types, so as not to choose what may not be useful after all. This factor is mainly for stability and enhanced performance.
Size and Weight
Additionally, the size and weight of a pillow have a lot to do with one’s physiology. You cannot expect a short person to use a long support pillow with a lower thickness; it may not be effective. However, a thicker pillow with a strong touch/flexibility will perform quite well on its user.
This also means: compression over time may not be possible for pillows with firm designs.
Regardless of the type, an excellent lumbar pillow must be very easy to attach to places desired. For instance, there shouldn’t be any difficulty attaching it to a car seat, especially for those with dual or single straps.
Lumbar support pillows should be able to adjust to whatever form or position it is placed. The best ones have an outstanding quality of being able to adapt to a form and adjust to original form when pressure is removed.
The material used to make a pillow is always essential because this is where the user’s comfort lies. Different brands have used various raw materials to make their foam, with the popular ones being memory foam and buckwheat.
Another material also available is polyurethane fibre, which replaces the memory foam in some pillows.
If you are buying a lumbar support pillow, it is recommended that you should buy it along with a removable cover so that the fabric does not get dirty while using it. The cover should be machine washable as well.
A spinal channel is also quite important because you definitely want a pillow that will support the spine at all times. This support is guaranteed by the reduction of pressure on the spinal column.
One perfect way to make sure this is possible is by going for a more flexible pillow.
This may not be as important as many factors in choosing the best lumbar pillow for you, but it will be a nice thing if a pillow comes with accessories that aid comfort.
One good accessory that will be useful is a strap that can be used to attach the pillow to a seat without falling off. Another kind of accessory is a soft, washable pillow cover that will prevent dirt or dust from getting on the pillow.
The quality of material plays a vital role in determining the effectiveness of a lumbar pillow. Most pillows are made out of fabrics, and they should have breathable meshes for perfect comfort because it is a tool that has to be used for over a long time.
For people who make use of built-in lumbar support chairs at work and needs extra support, it is good to consider getting a thinner lumbar pillow so there won’t be excess pressure on the back when you sit.
Remember, this is only for chairs with an already-existing lumbar support system; hence, look at the type of chair in question before you buy any kind of pillow on the market to use at work.
Lastly, there is a need for much consideration of the type of lumbar involved.
For instance, a thicker support pillow should be got for people with a deeper lumbar curve because that is the best shot you can get to correct the defect.
The cushion is the feature in a support pillow that makes it easy to rest on. While this pillow is covered with fabric, the inner material/cushion is mostly hard-soft memory foam or polyester or a different material.
Cooling Gel Pad
Some support pillows have been improved with new modern features, and one of them is a cooling gel pad, which helps massage and relaxes the lower back.
This gel pad is situated inside the pillow, just close to the cushion. Its use cannot be overemphasized.
1. HealthSense Backrest Cushion
HealthSense Backrest is a fantastic pillow known for its competitive design and super-intense quality.
The comfort from the product is overwhelming, and many people will choose this small pillow over any other type because of its convenience.
Since it is an adjustable cushion, it can be taken anywhere, making it a great lumbar support for car and carried to different locations to ensure support is given.
Also, this lumbar support pillow is designed as a medical-grade, which means it can be used by anyone who is either feeling back pains from artificial causes or trying to alleviate pain on the back from a traumatic experience.
As a part of its accessories, the pillow has a removable cover that can be washed easily when dirty.
On an outlook, the support tool features a strap that can hold into position when used against a chair, i.e., strap over the back of a chair and rest your back accordingly.
Adding to this, the device has been measured to fit into the back’s curvature, hence, enhancing proper balance, support, correction of posture, and movement of the back.
It is an ideal choice for everyone who would love to make use of it in the office (to a chair).
- Premium high-density memory foam with therapeutic magnets
- 3D breathable and removable fabric cover
- Adjustable strap support system
- Three months’ warranty
- The removable cover protects the cushion against dirt and dust
- Very comfortable, portable (lightweight) and highly versatile
- Breathability is good, i.e., prevents irritation of warm spots of the back
- Improved as a medical-grade product
- Corrects postural defects without hassle
- The roll-on design which means it is very portable and can be used anywhere
- Soft and designed to fit the curvature of the back
- Adjustable strap to hold cushion into position against the chair
2. Fovera Lumbar Cushion
Fovera is a renowned brand that supplies a wide range of high-quality and ergonomically designed pillows and cushions. It provides a well-designed lumbar support cushion so that you can enjoy all-day comfort and support.
This orthopaedic lumbar support alleviates the unwanted pressure caused by sitting for long durations in your office, car, or home. It helps in aligning your back with the spinal column and promotes correct sitting postures.
- Ergonomically designed lumbar support pillow that ensures proper alignment of your neck, back, and hips
- A versatile design that helps you to fix this cushion to different types of chairs at your home or office
- Premium anti-flattering memory foam cushion that maintains its softness and provides support for long durations
- Adjustable straps for fixing the cushion firmly and securely to your chair
- Mesh fabric covers that provide enhanced breathability so that your back remains cool
- Measures 35.4 x 34.8 x 11.6 cm in dimensions and weighs only 800 grams
- It improves your body postures so that you can sit upright and comfortably
- This lumbar pillow can be easily adjusted for perfect fitting on all types of chairs as per your height and comfort
- It provides great relief in the lower back pain and enables you to sit for long hours in the office and improves your productivity at work
- It features practical construction that provides excellent comfort and convenience
- This pillow provides an optimal balance between rigidity and luxurious comfort for providing perfect spine alignment
- It comes with a removable cover that can be easily removed and washed for maintaining optimal hygienic and cleanliness
- It is a little bit expensive as compared to similar other products
3. Grin Health Back Support
Grin Health Sit Right support pillow is the appropriate lumbar support for driving, home, and offices, etc. because of its design and comfortable feel.
It has been designed to fit all car types, i.e., standard, and it is available in different sizes from large to small. It is the best lumbar support for a car that makes sure to comfort you even in a long ride.
It consists of a premium high-density memory foam with breathable mesh to make your back or spine comfortable and free from irritation; however, the mesh cover is washable, which means it prevents dirt from getting to the foam.
Adding to this, it has a slow rebound response, solid support mechanism, and durability.
After long periods of sitting, there is a probability that you will feel relieved and comfortable because it has improved your back to do activities.
One thing you should know is that it is an adjustable support pillow that can adapt to the shape of your back and waist structure as time goes by.
It is pertinent to know that not all people can use this product, and there are limitations to height, weight, age, and chair size.
In addition, this is a type of pillow that needs the guidance of a doctor if you are suffering from a severe medical condition before using it.
Keep in mind that for severe medical cases, the guidance of a physician is required.
- Breathable mesh
- Soft fabric cover
- High-density memory foam
- It can be used in different places such as office, work, cars, etc.
- Comfortable and cools the back with the aid of its breathable mesh
- Adapts quickly to the waist structure
- The 1-year product warranty period
- Slow bound response and reliable support guaranteed
- Quite expensive
4. The White Willow Pillow
White Willow is a famous brand known for producing top-quality products. One of them is White Willow Medical Grade Foam 4-in-1 half-moon, which means it has four perfect modes, including lumbar pillow, neck support pillow, wedge pillow, and knee pillow.
It promotes a healthy lifestyle while being made of memory foam composed of 100 % filler-free foam. It is a perfect choice for the home, not for every other place (like a car, office) because it can be used in several ways.
With the high-density memory foam, extra pressure or strain around the neck, back, thorax, the hip is lifted, and the user becomes comfortable.
It has a slow impact response and sound supportiveness, which is aided by the memory foam factor. In short, when you have to spend long hours at work, you can make use of this pillow for support.
In addition, you can place this pillow in between your knees to enhance spinal alignment or help to ease your tired feet and muscle cramps.
A user gets maximum satisfaction using this type of pillow, and in no time, one would understand the difference between having a bad sleep and good sleep.
Lastly, one must not hand wash or use a machine to wash this. Just wipe it with warm water and mild detergent to remove stains/odour, and then sprinkle the pillow with any baking powder.
- Four pillow modes
- Soft fabric cover
- Breathable mesh
- Contour design
- High-grade resilience foam
- Helps in relieving and alleviating lower back pains
- Supports major parts of the body, such as the hips, neck, feet, knees
- Brings maximum comfort and ease to its user
- Safe and can be used in the home
- Slim and lightweight
- Works perfectly on tired feet and muscle cramps
- Relieves tension in the lower back
- Improved with an environment-friendly foam
- Durability and performance are incredible
- Enhances a good sleep
- Comes at a reasonably good price
- Guaranteed therapeutic benefits
- Requires maximum maintenance
5. Remedo Back Support Cushion
Remedo Back Support Cushion gives you perfect support while travelling on the weekend or sitting on your office chair. If the posture is not ideal while sitting, it will eventually weaken your muscles and affect your back.
To prevent that, you need to have a product like this, which provides comfort and support while sitting. Let us have a look at all the features of this product.
- This product helps you to maintain the right lumbar posture, which prevents the back muscles from resting in a bad posture
- It includes a strap that is velcro-fitted, which can be used easily to adjust the height
- It is an ideal option for the home, travel, and office-uses
- The ergonomic shape and design make it a comfortable option for users
- Lumbar support gives you therapeutic support and relaxation to the back
- Using it for the prescribed time helps you to gain the right posture
- It makes sure that your body is correctly aligned with its contoured
- It is an ideal option for long travel weekends as it gives you long-lasting comfort and support
- It is easy to maintain and clean it, as it has a machine washable cover along with it
- It is lightweight support, which could be easily carried along wherever you go
- The cushion is a little harder than you think.
6. Vive Lumbar Support Cushion
This is another multipurpose lumbar support pillow you will find which can be used at home, in your office, or inside your car or even in a plane, providing comfort to its user.
Inflatable lumbar cushion by Vive is an adjustable type, which means it can adapt and conform itself to various conditions in which it is placed.
The design is quite different from most types seen in this review, which is another reason it is preferred.
The comfort achieved from this product is outstanding, and the portability is perfect, i.e., it can be carried easily from one place to another, even using a small travel bag.
However, it requires proper maintenance so that its feature doesn’t get ruined or the material’s quality doesn’t get compromised like most ordinary types.
On a structural outlook, it is more compact and can be deflated when necessary (maybe when being packed into the travel bag); hence, it is called Inflatable.
The design is also in the form of contoured cushioning, which provides support for the back, particularly the lower region.
Lastly, it is durably constructed, and its body has been designed to be tear-resistant no matter what.
- Inflatable body mechanism
- Air valve
- Compact body design
- Contoured support structure
- Polyester fabric cover
- Super-cool cushion
- The fabric cover prevents the foam from getting dirty and most importantly, against wear and tear
- Contoured cushioning offers maximum support to the back
- Highly durable and effective
- Compact body design which guarantees quick recovery
- Air valve helps to reduce pressure from the pillow to desired range
- Very portable and can be used anywhere (home, office, car, stadium, plane, etc.)
- Can fit into a small travel bag
- Very expensive to purchase
- Maintenance is very high
- No strap belt for support
7. Fovera Lumbar Support Cushion
In this pillow, the underlying material is memory foam, which has been designed to help support the back at different places, restoring one to a good state of health.
Back pain isn’t something nice and one good product to use to treat pain is the Fovera Orthopedic Lumbar support pillow.
Maximum support is guaranteed from this backrest because of its ergonomic design and that it is a perfect fit for the spine.
The full support they provide for the spine includes alleviating pain from the shoulder blades to the lower back.
Another good choice is its portable weight and slim design, which most car drivers choose, which is why it is considered the best pillow for lumbar support for driving.
In fact, it is very comfortable and easy to fix because of the two adjustable straps that have been made available. The package comes with a removable and washable fabric cover for protection, alongside breathable mesh for comfort.
- Anti-sweat, and washable air mesh fabric cover
- Premium anti-flattering memory foam
- Two adjustable straps
- 60 days warranty
- Soft, comfy design
- Breathability is quite good
- Can be used in homes and offices
- The fabric material is easy to remove and wash
- Contoured design fits appropriately to the shape of the back to support the spine and waist
- Can be strapped with a belt to a chair
- Offers superior comfort
- Durability is fine
- Available in different colours and sizes
- Slim body structure and very portable
- Quite expensive
8. Linenwalas Lumbar Support Cushion
Linenwalas Back cushion is a premium quality lumbar pillow made of 100 % memory foam with a thickness of 4 inches, which is good for many things.
Inside the package of this product, there is an outstandingly good, soft washable bamboo cover that uses a zipper for the cushion’s closure.
With the moulded memory foam, you can sit for hours using the pillow without getting tired or inconvenient.
No doubt, these pillow targets back pain like it has been designed to do with the aid of a dual strap alongside a universal curve structure which aids support.
With the way it looks, it can be placed anywhere on the back, i.e., not only the lumbar (lower back) such as the neck, thorax, etc.
You could be certain that the effect is immediate and does not take too much time before you feel better or body posture corrected.
In fact, there is so much to gain when you use this product, and one could tell that the main reason why it is in this review is because of its posture correction mechanism.
Linenwalas, as a brand, is involved with producing several household and health-related products, which are top quality.
- 4 inches thick cushion
- Dual strap
- 100 % memory foam
- Extraordinary soft washable bamboo fabric cover
- It comes with a zipper
- Corrects all kinds of postural defects fast and smoothly
- A washable soft fabric cover to keep away from dirt
- Zipper for total enclosure
- Effect/relief is fast and top-notch
- Comes with a universal curve structure
- Colour and design look too dull
- No breathability factor recorded; hence, it could irritate warm spots
9. The White Willow Memory Bed Pillow
This lumbar support pillow is made from high-premium superior quality fibres, which is responsible for the comfort and support of the pillow.
In fact, it has been designed to give a luxurious feel to the body with its resilient memory foam, which is special and can adapt to different forms of pressure, returning back to its original form when it is removed.
Also, the fabric material is temperature-sensitive, such that it provides warmth for the body on cold days, coupled with its breathable and washable cover.
Although it is small, it is also quite flexible with good support. In general, it offers the best comfort and anyone, including the aged and kids.
- Rolled design
- Small design and medium-soft comfort
- Temperature-sensitive fabric material
- Resilient memory foam
- The soft, removable white outer cover
PROS (What we liked)
- Gives a luxurious feel when in direct contact with the skin.
- Made of good materials and covers a good body length
- Great quality and maximum support guaranteed
- Strong, yielding support and adapts to different forms, returning to the original state when released
- Suitable for all body types
- Highly flexible and durable
- Requires proper maintenance
- Only appropriate for domestic use
10. Grinhealth Backrest Cushion
As mentioned earlier, GrinHealth is an outstanding brand, and one shouldn’t be surprised by the kind of products they manufacture to the public.
GrinHealth Orthopedic Backrest alongside a memory foam is exclusively crafted to match what everyone will need either at home or work or even on the road.
It is simply an ergonomic and orthopaedic lumbar cushion with a lot of support for the entire body’s spine and comfort.
In short, when you have to spend long hours at work, you can make use of this pillow for support.
Also, it is improved with high-density memory foam, in which extra pressure or strain around the neck, back, thorax, the hip is removed, and a user becomes comfortable in little or no time.
The slow impact response and sound supportiveness are responsible for the memory foam.
In addition, you can place this pillow in between your knees to enhance spinal alignment or help to ease your tired feet and muscle cramps.
However, proper maintenance has to be taken concerning this product such that outer cover should only be dry-cleaned and do not wash memory foam pad to prevent quality loss.
- Fabric outer cover
- Breathable mesh
- The contoured extra-length body design
- Adaptable ultra-soft memory foam
- 1-year warranty
- Stay-put elastic band
- Lightweight but full size
- Can effectively support the lumbar part of the spine
- Very portable due to its lightweight
- Extra-long for several forms
- Comfortable and cools off the body part easily
- Restores one postural state
- Ability to compress and return to the original form
- Moulds to the shape of an individual’s body
- Requires proper maintenance
11. Orthowala Backrest Cushion
On the description of this backrest, i.e., Orthowala lumbar support, it is seen as a long back pillow which is healthy for the spine and other parts of the body.
It is an adjustable pillow that helps the lumbar area incredibly, adjusts back to a comfortable angle, and then supports the waist to a favourable position. Just like other types, you can make use of this product in your office, home, and even your car isn’t excluded.
It can also help correct postural defects, reduce back stress, and alleviate pain from the back in less than no time. Its effect is fast, and design is appropriate for all kinds of way you want to use it.
On the structure, it has a moulded polyurethane foam, which extends from the base of the back to the centre point of the back.
Also, it contains some incredible features such as a removable and washable fabric cover to prevent the cushion from dirt.
This fabric cover has breathable mesh, which helps cool the back in unfavourable conditions, preventing irritation on sensitive spots.
Lastly, it is medically graded, and while memory foam is absent, it is replaced by the slouching position of the body while resting, a good choice for road trips and travels.
- Vibrant washable and removable fabric cover
- Polyurethane foam
- Sturdy design
- A good choice to help reduce stress and pressure from the back
- Alleviates lower back pain faster than any other type
- The fabric cover can be easily removed, washed and reused
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- Can be used in several places such as homes, offices, cars – best for road trips
- Corrects postural defects
- Memory foam is replaced by polyurethane foam
12. Betus Inflatable Air Pillow
Another inflatable you may ever come across is Betus Dreamer Ultralight support pillow, known for its super-lightweight and outstanding design.
The pillow, when compressed, will return to its original form without losing quality or effectiveness. In fact, it can adapt to all body forms or waist structure; hence, it is a good product to consider.
It is incredibly soft, and the comfort derived from the tool is beyond outstanding. It has a compact body design too, which is good for the back and correction of so many postural defects.
It is also improved with a deflate technology, which means with a deflation button, it can be adjusted to whatever shape or size required.
It is a comfortable travel pillow which could be taken along when going camping. The fabric has been designed to be water-resistant and air-sealing; hence, durability is guaranteed.
- Deflate technology: Deflate button
- Thick elastic TPU fabric
- 1-year warranty period
- Ultralight size
- Compact body design
- The deflate button makes it easy to reduce pillow to required size so it could be packed in a travel bag
- Very portable with good durability
- Offers a 1-year warranty period
- Fabric is water-resistant and comfortable on the skin
- Adjustable and adapts to various body structure or positions
- Good choice of road travels and camping
- Requires proper maintenance to keep quality intact
Frequently Asked Questions
Often, there are questions we get on the use of lumbar support pillows and here are the answers we gave to those frequently asked questions;
1. Will the lumbar support pillow cause a weakening of muscles?
If you are using a lumbar support pillow for a long time, you will weaken your muscles. It is not advisable to use one for 24 hours. If you are using it, you have to do some strengthening exercises along with it.
2. What is the best lumbar support for the car?
HealthSense Backrest Cushion is one of the best lumbar support for the car.
3. Are lumbar support pillows good for children?
Yes. Lumbar support pillow is suitable for anyone as long as its purpose is to improve health and correct functionalities.
Regardless of who or what age group is making use of it, its purpose and effectiveness remain intact. They are available in different sizes and shapes, and no doubt, there will be one that would match their age group.
4. Do I need the guidance of a doctor before I get a cushion?
Most times, you don’t have to visit a doctor before you get a cushion because you can get them from any store.
They aren’t as serious as requiring the guidance of a medical practitioner; however, for worst-case scenarios, getting a recommendation from a doctor won’t be so bad. This is just a precaution to take to avoid worsening your current condition.
5. What is the difference between a Lumbar support pillow and a Back brace
They are two different things, but both are healthy for the body.
While a back brace is worn or strapped to the waist or lower back to strengthen or stabilize weak muscles, lumbar pillow support is used to support the back or spine and correct postural defects.
6. Where can I put my lumbar support?
There are quite many places you can put your lumbar support, depending on the type you purchase. For an office chair, put it on your back and sit comfortably into the curve of the pillow while you rest back and your feet placed flat on the floor.
7. What is the best lumbar support?
Several brands have produced different support pillows marked with unique features, quality, and fabric. However, the best kinds of lumbar support available have been reviewed, and it will be nice to pick one or more out of those above.
Fovera and White willow are top brands to go with.
A lumbar support pillow is an effective way of treating back pain and enjoying longer periods of comfortable and pleasurable sitting. This lumbar pillow provides improved breathability by maintaining superb air-circulation for keeping your back cool.
Most of the lumbar pillows come with an orthopaedic memory foam design that provides excellent support for your back by conforming to the natural curvature of your back.
It features adjustable and removable straps for secure fitting to the back of your chair. It avoids back tightness and prevents unnecessary muscle stretching by keeping your back aligned and relieving any undue pressure.
Don’t think twice about getting a lumbar support pillow. After all, a healthy back always keeps you in front of achieving your personal and professional milestones.