Best Lumbar Support Pillows
Pains related to the back are very debilitating because it could affect the daily activities of whoever is affected. Sometimes, drugs may do little or nothing in aiding the quality of health, and all that may be needed could be a good support device or surgery in worst cases. A good support device in this regard is a lumbar support pillow, and not just anyhow, the best type available for sale.
Lumbar support pillows are also good to correct some postural defects by constant use and contain outstanding features to make several things possible. It is available in various sizes and uses, and it is important to know what will be suitable for use. You will find the best seat cushion for lower back pain, providing back support pillow for bed and while driving. Using Lumbar support pillow will increase the back strength, and you won’t have to use equipment like TENS unit to relieve any muscle pain.
To improve the quality of life and make it easy for customers to buy this tool on the market by including the way it works, type of Lumbar support pillow, advantages of using these products, features of this pillow, thing that you need considering, frequently asked questions and also we have reviewed the top 11 best lumbar support pillows with their various descriptions, features and pros & cons.
Top 11 Lumbar Support Pillow
Best Multipurpose Use
Best Curve structure
Best for Domestic use
Best Adjustable Pillow
How does it work?
Lumbar support pillows as mentioned are used in supporting the lumbar region or back in particular and have been designed in various forms. They are either in the chairs people sit in at work or pillows at home or support pillows in the car. They work in such a way that when placed in position, the back adjusts to the shape in which it comes, and consistent use will ensure adaptability to that position.
Advantages of using a Lumbar Support Pillow
There is this perspective that lumbar support pillows are only good for people recovering from an injury or suffering from an ailment or the aged; however, that is so wrong because everybody needs it. In your office, in your home, a back pillow should be available because they provide quite a lot of things, some of which are;
- Provides Relief: After a long day at work or strenuous exercise or chores at home, there is a need to relax. With lumbar support pillows, relief and comfort are guaranteed for the user.
- Provides Support: Sometimes, people strain their backs to do or carry out activities such as driving. Lumbar support pillow provides the support needed to the lower back region, making it more convenient and easier to carry out activities.
- Safe: One thing you can be sure of when it comes to supporting pillows is that they are safe and environment-friendly. They do not harbor any form of an environmental hazard.
- Versatility: Generally, pillows can be used for a lot of things, and it will be no surprise that you can use your lumbar support pillows on other parts of your body to rest or balance.
- Cost-effective: Depending on the accessories and quality you want, pillows are usually cost-effective and easy to find.
- Redesigns the spine: For people who have gone through a traumatic experience involving the spine or having postural defects, a support pillow helps to redesign the spine and improve the quality of life.
Features of a Lumbar Support Pillow
Using a lumbar support pillow can be quite easy and does not require technical know-how; however, it is essential we know the features that make this support tool outstanding.
The cushion is the feature in a support pillow that makes it easy to rest on. Now, while this pillow is covered with fabric, the inner material/cushion is mostly hard-soft memory foam or polyester or a different material.
Cooling Gel Pad
Some support pillows have been improved with new modern features, and one of them is a cooling gel pad which helps to massage and relax the lower back. This gel pad is situated inside the pillow, just close to the cushion. Its use cannot be overemphasized.
Types of Lumbar Support Pillow
Since Lumbar support pillows were made for convenience, it is necessary that they are available in different types. The three types of lumbar pillows known are;
Adjustable Lumbar Support Pillow
This is a type of pillow that can be moved and removed, i.e. adjusting to fit into a particular space or form for convenience. The design is entirely outstanding and basic for a start but cannot be moved from one place to another.
Portable Lumbar Support Pillow
Portable lumbar pillow on the other end can be used anywhere and anytime because they can be removed and fixed at different intervals, i.e., while you may use them in your car, you could also use them in your office.
Towel or Small Pillow
Lastly, this is with respect to size and a towel, or small pillow is effective when used in certain places. They are mobile also but can only be used for low-duty operations. It is rolled or folded to the desired thickness.
Buying Guide: What you should Consider?
There are a few things one must consider when buying any lumbar support pillow at all. These factors are important because they help reduce choice, so one comes out with a suitable pick and at the same time know products that are good or bad. Below are the factors you should consider;
When buying the best seat cushion for lower back pain, the first and basic thing you should look out for is the back support and what it has to offer. People that prefer long back support pillows should be careful when selecting their various types, so as not to choose what may not be effective after all. This factor is mainly for stability and enhanced performance.
Size and Weight
Additionally, the size and weight of a pillow have a lot to do on one’s physiology. You cannot expect a short person to use a long support pillow with lower thickness; it may not be effective; however, a thicker pillow with strong touch/flexibility will perform quite well on its user. This also means: compression over time may not be possible for pillows with firm designs.
A good lumbar pillow, regardless of the type, must be very easy to attach to places desired. For instance, there shouldn’t be any difficulty attaching it to a car seat, especially for those with dual or single straps. This is a good factor to consider when buying.
Lumbar support pillows should be able to adjust to whatever form or position it is placed. The best ones have an outstanding quality of being able to adapt to a form and adjust to original form when pressure is removed.
The material used to make a pillow is always very important because this is where the comfort lies for the user. Different brands have made use of various raw materials to make their foam, with the popular ones being Memory Foam and Buckwheat. Another material also available is polyurethane fiber which replaces the memory foam in some pillows.
If you are buying a lumbar support pillow, it is recommended that you should buy it along with a removable cover so that the fabric does not get dirty while using it. The cover should be machine washable as well.
A spinal channel is also quite important because you definitely want a pillow that will support the spine at all times. This support is guaranteed by the reduction of pressure on the spinal column. One perfect way to make sure this is possible is by going for a more flexible pillow.
This may not be as important as many factors in choosing the best lumbar pillow for you, but it will be a nice thing if a pillow comes with accessories that aid comfort.
One good accessory that will be useful is a strap which can be used to attach the pillow to a seat without falling off. Another kind of accessory is a soft, washable pillow cover that will prevent dirt or dust from getting on the pillow.
In consideration, too, the quality of material plays an important role in determining the effectiveness of a lumbar pillow. Most pillows are made out of fabrics, and they should have breathable meshes for perfect comfort because it is a tool that has to be used for over a long time.
For people who make use of built-in lumbar support chairs at work and needs extra support, it is good to consider getting a thinner lumbar pillow so there won’t be excess pressure on the back when you sit.
Remember, this is only for chairs that have an already-existing lumbar support system; hence, look at the type of chair in question before you buy any kind of pillow on the market to use at work.
Lastly, there is a need for much consideration on the type of lumbar involved. For instance, a thicker support pillow should be got for people with a deeper lumbar curve because that is the best shot you can get to correct the defect.
1. HealthSense Backrest Cushion with Memory Foam – Our Pick
HealthSense Backrest is an awesome pillow known for its competitive design and super-intense quality. The comfort from the product is overwhelming, and many people will choose this small pillow over any other type because of its convenience. Since it is an adjustable cushion, it can be taken anywhere, which makes it a great lumbar support for car and carried to different locations to ensure support is given.
In addition, this lumbar support pillow is designed as a medical-grade which means it can be used by anyone who is either feeling back pains from artificial causes or trying to alleviate pain on the back from a traumatic experience. As a part of its accessories, the pillow has a removable cover which can be washed easily when dirty.
On an outlook, the support tool features a strap which can hold into position when used against a chair, i.e., strap over the back of a chair and rest your back accordingly. Adding to this, the device has been measured to fit into the curvature of the back, hence, enhancing proper balance, support, correction of posture, and movement of the back. It is an ideal choice for everyone who would love to make use of it in the office (to a chair).
- Premium high-density memory foam with therapeutic magnets
- 3D Breathable and Removable Fabric cover
- Adjustable strap support system
- Three months’ warranty
- The removable cover protects the cushion against dirt and dust
- Very comfortable, portable (lightweight) and highly versatile
- Breathability is good, i.e., prevents irritation of warm spots of the back
- Improved as a medical-grade product
- Corrects postural defects without hassle
- Roll-on design which means it is very portable and can be used anywhere
- Soft and designed to fit the curvature of the back
- Adjustable strap to hold cushion into position against the chair
- Very expensive
- Durability wasn’t mentioned
2. Grin Health Sit Right Ergonomic Back Support Memory Foam – Best Breathability
Grin Health Sit Right support pillow is the appropriate lumbar support for driving, home, and offices, etc. because of its design and comfortable feel. It has been designed to fit all car types, i.e. standard, and it is available in different sizes from large to small. It is the best lumbar support for a car that makes sure to comfort you even in a long ride.
It consists of a premium high-density memory foam with breathable mesh to make your back or spine comfortable and free from irritation; however, the mesh cover is washable which means it prevents dirt from getting to the foam. Adding to this, it has slow rebound response, solid support mechanism, and durability.
After long periods of sitting, there is a probability that you will feel so much relieved and comfortable because it has improved your back to do activities. One thing you should know is that it is an adjustable support pillow that can adapt to the shape of your back and waist structure as time goes by. It is pertinent to know that not all people can make use of this product, and there are limitations to height, weight, age, and chair-size as well.
In addition, this is a type of pillow that needs the guidance of a doctor if you are suffering from a severe medical condition before using it.
- Breathable mesh
- Soft fabric cover
- High-density memory foam
- Can be used in different places such as office, work, cars, etc.
- Comfortable and cools the back with the aid of its breathable mesh
- Adapts quickly to the waist structure
- The 1-year product warranty period
- Slow bound response and solid support guaranteed
- Quite expensive
- Cannot be used by everyone (not suitable in all conditions)
- For serious medical cases, the guidance of a physician is required
3. The White Willow Medical Grade Foam Multi-use Support Pillow – Best Multipurpose Use
White Willow is a popular brand known for producing top-quality products, and one of them is White Willow Medical Grade Foam 4-in-1 half-moon, which means, it has four perfect modes which includes; lumbar pillow, neck support pillow, wedge pillow, and knee pillow.
It promotes a healthy lifestyle while being made of memory foam composed of 100 % filler-free foam. It is a perfect choice for the home, not for every other place (like a car, office) because it can be used in several ways.
With the high-density memory foam, extra pressure or strain around the neck, back, thorax, hip is lifted, and the user becomes comfortable. It has a slow impact response and sound supportiveness which is aided by the memory foam factor. In short, when you have to spend long hours at work, you can make use of this pillow for support.
In addition, you can place this pillow in between your knees to enhance spinal alignment or help to ease your tired feet and muscle cramps. A user gets maximum satisfaction using this type of pillow, and in no time, one would understand so much difference having sleep and good sleep.
Lastly, one must not hand wash or use machine to wash; rather, spot clean using the hands with warm water and mild detergent to removing stains/odour, and then sprinkle the pillow with any baking powder, dusting it off with a clean dry cloth (only clean outer cover with soap and water).
- Four pillow modes
- Soft fabric cover
- Breathable mesh
- Contour design
- High-grade resilience foam
- Helps in relieving and alleviating lower back pains
- Supports major parts of the body, such as the hips, neck, feet, knees
- Brings maximum comfort and ease to its user
- Safe and can be used in the home
- Slim and lightweight
- Works perfectly on tired feet and muscle cramps
- Relieves tension in the lower back
- Improved with an environment-friendly foam
- Durability and performance are incredible
- Enhances a good sleep
- Comes at a reasonably good price
- Guaranteed therapeutic benefits
- Requires maximum maintenance
- No warrant benefits recorded
- Few accessories available to support its use
4. Remedo Back Support Cushion – Best Ergonomics
Remedo Back Support Cushion gives you perfect support while traveling on the weekend or sitting on your office chair. If the posture is not ideal while sitting, it will eventually weaken your muscles and will also affect your back. To prevent that you need to have a product like this which provides you comfort and support while sitting. Let us have a look at all the features of this product.
- This product helps you to maintain the right Lumbar posture, which prevents the back muscles from resting in a bad posture.
- It includes strap which is velcro-fitted, which can be used easily to adjust the height.
- It is an ideal option for the home, travel, and office-uses.
- The ergonomic shape and design make it a comfortable option for users.
- Lumbar support gives you therapeutic support and relaxation to the back.
- Using it for the prescribed time helps you to gain the right posture.
- It makes sure that your body is correctly aligned with its contoured.
- It is an ideal option for long travel weekends as it gives you long-lasting comfort and support.
- It is easy to maintain and clean it, as it has a machine washable cover along with it.
- These are lightweight support which could be easily carried along wherever you go.
- The cushion is a little harder than you think.
5. Inflatable Lumbar Support Cushion by Vive – Best Comfortable
This is another multipurpose lumbar support pillow you will find on the market which can be used at home, in your office or inside your car or even in a plane, providing comfort to its user. Inflatable lumbar cushion by Vive is an adjustable type which means it can adapt and conform itself to various conditions in which it is placed. The design is quite different from most types seen in this review, and this is another reason why it is preferred.
The comfort achieved from this product is outstanding, and it is remarkable to say that the portability is perfect, i.e. it can be carried easily from one place to another, even using a small travel bag. However, it requires proper maintenance so that its feature doesn’t get ruined or the quality of the material doesn’t get compromised like most ordinary types.
On a structural outlook, it is more compact and can be deflated when necessary (maybe when being packed into the travel bag); hence, it is called Inflatable. In addition, the design is in the form of contoured cushioning which provides support for the back, particularly the lower region. Lastly, it is durably constructed, and its body has been designed to be tear-resistant no matter what.
- Inflatable body mechanism
- Air valve
- Compact body design
- Contoured support structure
- Polyester fabric cover
- Super-cool cushion
- The fabric cover prevents the foam from getting dirty and most importantly, against wear and tear
- Contoured cushioning offers maximum support to the back
- Highly durable and effective
- Compact body design which guarantees quick recovery
- Air valve helps to reduce pressure from the pillow to desired range
- Very portable and can be used anywhere (home, office, car, stadium, plane, etc.)
- Can fit into a small travel bag
- Very expensive to purchase
- Maintenance is very high
- No strap belt for support
6. FOVERA Orthopedic Lumbar Support Memory Foam Cushion – Best Adjustability
Simply, we know that the underlying material is memory foam which has been designed to help support the back at different places, restoring one to a good state of health. Back pain isn’t something you find people love and one of the best products to use to treat that is Fovera Orthopedic Lumbar support pillow. Maximum support is guaranteed from this backrest because of its ergonomic design and the fact that it is a perfect fit for the spine.
The full support they provide for the spine includes, the alleviation of pain from the shoulder blades to the lower back. What makes it another good choice in this review is its portable weight and slim design which most car drivers choose and which is why it is considered as the best pillow for lumbar support for driving. In fact, it is very comfortable and easy to fix because of the two adjustable straps that have been made available.
The package comes with a removable and washable fabric cover for protection, alongside breathable mesh for comfort. While being affordable, it is highly durable, and the quality is top-notch. Lastly, with a contoured design that can be used in cars, offices, it is effective.
- Anti-sweat, breathable and washable air mesh fabric cover
- Premium anti-flattering memory foam
- Two adjustable straps
- 60 days’ warranty
- Soft, comfy design
- Breathability is quite good
- Can be used in homes and offices
- The fabric material is easy to remove and wash
- Contoured design fits appropriately to the shape of the back to support the spine and waist
- Can be strapped with a belt to a chair
- Offers superior comfort
- Durability is fine
- Available in different colors and sizes
- Slim body structure and very portable
- Price is quite affordable
- Quite expensive
7. Linenwalas Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion – Best Curve structure
On a different note, Linenwalas Back cushion is a premium quality lumbar pillow made of 100 % memory foam with a thickness of 4 inches which is good for quite a number of things.
Inside the package of this product, there is an outstandingly good, soft washable bamboo cover which makes use of a zipper for the cushion’s closure. With the molded memory foam, you can sit for hours using the pillow without getting tired or inconvenient.
No doubt, these pillow targets back pain like it has been designed to do with the aid of a dual strap alongside a universal curve structure which aids support. With the way it looks, it can be placed anywhere on the back, i.e., not only the lumbar (lower back) such as the neck, thorax, etc. One thing you could be certain of is that the effect is immediate and does not take too much time before you feel better or body posture corrected.
In fact, there is so much to gain when you use this product, and one could tell that the main reason why it is in this review is because of its posture correction mechanism. Linenwalas as a brand is involved with producing several household and health-related products, which are top quality.
- 4 inches’ thick cushion
- Dual strap
- 100 % Memory foam
- Extraordinary soft washable bamboo fabric cover
- Corrects all kinds of postural defects fast and smoothly
- A washable soft fabric cover to keep away from dirt
- Zipper for total enclosure
- Effect/relief is fast and top-notch
- Comes with a universal curve structure
- Colour and design look too dull
- Quality control issues could result
- No breathability factor recorded; hence, it could cause irritation on warm spots
8. The White Willow Memory Foam Orthopedic Bed Pillow – Best for Home use
The last best lumbar support pillow in this review is a different but unique one, such that it is longer and can only be used for domestic purposes only. Is made from high-premium superior quality fibers which is responsible for the comfort and support of the pillow.
In fact, it has been designed to give a luxurious feel on the body with its resilient memory foam which is special and can adapt to different forms of pressure, returning back to its original form when it is removed.
Also, the fabric material is temperature-sensitive, such that it provides warmth for the body on cold days, coupled with its breathable and washable cover. Although it is small, it is also quite flexible with good support. In general, it offers the best comfort and anyone, including, the aged, kids, etc.
- Rolled design
- Small design and medium-soft comfort
- Temperature-sensitive fabric material
- Resilient memory foam
- The soft, removable white outer cover PROS (What we liked)
- Gives a luxurious feel when in direct contact with the skin.’
- Made of good materials and covers a good body length
- Great quality and maximum support guaranteed
- Strong, yielding support and adapts to different forms, returning back to the original state when released
- Suitable for all body types
- Highly flexible and durable
- Requires proper maintenance
- Only appropriate for domestic use
- Warranty period not recorded yet
9. GrinHealth Orthopedic Backrest Plus Memory Foam Cushion – Best Adaptability
As mentioned earlier, GrinHealth is an outstanding brand, and one shouldn’t be surprised by the kind of products they manufacture to the public. GrinHealth Orthopedic Backrest alongside a memory foam was exclusively crafted to match what everyone will need either at home or at work or even on the road.
It is simply an ergonomic and orthopedic lumbocare cushion with a lot of support for the spine and comfort for the entire body. In short, when you have to spend long hours at work, you can make use of this pillow for support.
Also, it is improved with a high-density memory foam, in which extra pressure or strain around the neck, back, thorax, hip is removed and a user becomes comfortable in little or no time. The slow impact response and sound supportiveness is responsible by the memory foam.
In addition, you can place this pillow in between your knees to enhance spinal alignment or help to ease your tired feet and muscle cramps. A user gets maximum satisfaction using this type of pillow and in no time, one would understand so much difference having a sleep and a good sleep. In fact, all postural defects are corrected once used appropriately.
However, proper maintenance has to be taken concerning this product such that outer cover should only be dry-cleaned and do not wash memory foam pad to prevent quality loss.
- Fabric outer cover
- Breathable mesh
- Contoured extra-length body design
- Adaptable Ultra-soft memory foam
- 1 year’ warranty
- Stay-put elastic band
- Lightweight but full size
- Can effectively support the lumbar part of the spine
- Very portable due to its lightweight
- Extra-long for several forms
- Comfortable and cools off the body part easily
- Restores one postural state
- Ability to compress and return to original form
- Moulds to shape of an individual’s body
- Requires proper maintenance
10. Orthowala – Lower Backrest Comfort Cushion– Best Adjustable Pillow
On the description of this backrest i.e. Orthowala lumbar support, it is seen as a long back pillow which is healthy for the spine and other parts of the body. It is an adjustable pillow that helps the lumbar area incredibly, adjusts back to comfortable angle, and then support the waist to a favourable position. Just like other types, you can make use of this product in your office, home and even your car isn’t excluded.
In addition, it can help correct postural defects, reduce back stress and alleviate pain from the back in less than no time. Its effect is fast and design is appropriate for all kinds of way you want to use it. On structure, it has a molded polyurethane foam which extends from the base of the back to the center point of the back.
Also, it contains some incredible features such as a removable and washable fabric cover to prevent the cushion from dirt. This fabric cover has breathable mesh which helps to cool the back in unfavourable conditions, preventing irritation on sensitive spots.
Lastly, it is medically graded and while a memory foam is absent, it is replaced by the slouching position of the body while resting; a good choice for road trips and travels.
- Vibrant washable and removable fabric cover
- Polyurethane foam
- Sturdy design
- A good choice to help reduce stress and pressure from the back
- Alleviates lower back pain faster than any other type
- Fabric cover can be easily removed, washed and reused
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- Can be used in several places such as homes, offices, cars – best for road trips
- Corrects postural defects
- Memory foam is replaced by Polyruethane foam
11. BETUS Dreamer Comfort Ultralight Inflatable Air Pillow – Best Lightweight
Another inflatable you may ever come across is Betus Dreamer Ultralight support pillow which is known for its super-lightweight and outstanding design. The pillow, when compressed will return back to its original form without losing quality or effectiveness. In fact, it can adapt to all body forms or waist structure; hence, it is a good product to consider.
It is incredibly soft and the comfort derived from the tool is beyond outstanding. It has a compact body design too which is good for the back and correction of so many postural defects. In addition to this, it is improved with a deflate technology which means with a deflation button, it can be adjusted to whatever shape or size required.
It is a comfortable travel pillow which could be taken along when going camping. The fabric has been designed to be water-resistant and air-sealing; hence, durability is guaranteed.
- Deflate technology: Deflate button
- Thick elastic TPU fabric
- 1-year warranty period
- Ultralight size
- Compact body design
- The deflate button makes it easy to reduce pillow to required size so it could be packaged in a travel bag
- Very portable with good durability
- Offers a 1-year warranty period
- Fabric is water-resistant and comfortable on the skin
- Adjustable and adapts to various body structure or positions
- Good choice for road travels and camping
- Requires proper maintenance to keep quality intact
Frequently Asked Questions
Often, there are questions we get on the use of lumbar support pillows and here are the answers we gave to those frequently asked questions;
1. Will lumbar support pillow cause a weakening of muscles?
If you are using lumbar support pillow for a long time, you will weaken your muscles. It is not advisable to wear for 24 hours. If you are wearing it, you have to do some strengthening exercises along with it.
2. What is the best lumbar support for the car?
BETUS Dreamer Comfort Ultralight Inflatable Air Pillow is one of the best lumbar support for the car.
3. Are lumbar support pillows good for children?
Lumbar support pillow is good for anyone as long as its purpose is to improve health and correct dysfunctionalities. Regardless, of who or what age group is making use of it, its purpose and effectiveness still remains intact. They are available in different sizes and shapes and no doubt, there will be one that would match their age group.
4. Do I need the guidance of a Doctor before I get a cushion?
Most times, you don’t have to visit a Doctor before you get a cushion because you can get them from any store. They aren’t as serious as requiring the guidance of a medical practitioner; however, for worst case scenarios, getting a recommendation from a Doctor won’t be so bad. This is just a precaution to take in order to avoid worsening your current condition.
5. What is the difference between a Lumbar support pillow and a Back brace
They are two different things but are healthy for the body. While a back brace is worn or strapped to the waist or lower back in order to strengthen or stabilize weak muscles, lumbar pillow support is used to support the back or spine and correct postural defects.
6. What are the effects on the muscles?
Lumbar pillows are designed to support and bring comfort to your back, not alleviate or endanger you; hence, there is no effect on the muscles. The health benefit is also to get rid of bad sitting or standing (postural) habits which may not be solved using medications. If you are feeling abnormalities with your muscles, take a break and stretch those muscles.
7. Where should I put my Lumbar support?
There are quite a number of places you can put your lumbar support, depending on the type you purchase. For an office chair, put on your back and sit comfortably into the curve of the pillow while you rest back and your feet placed flat on the floor.
8. What is the best lumbar support?
Several brands have produced different support pillows marked with unique features, quality and fabric. However, the best kinds of lumbar support available have been reviewed and it will be nice to pick one or more out of those above. GrinHealth and White willow are top brands to reckon with, you could choose other types as well but with consideration to the factors listed in the buying guide.
Safe to say that we have reviewed and compared the top 10 lumbar support pillows available for sale with their selling factor, description, outstanding features, pros and cons. The main purpose of getting this tool is to have a sound health and correct body posture which no medication can offer. Having any of these products mean you have successfully tried and dedicated your effort to making your life a better one.
However, many of them seem alike in properties but there is a classification we will love to make on the products above. Here are the product that we suggest from the above-given list Orthowala Backrest support pillow, White Willow Medical Grade 4-in-1 Memory foam pillow and HealthSense Backrest Cushion with Memory Foam.
In conclusion, only the best lumbar support pillow will do as much as correcting and supporting the spinal column, nothing else. Get one that fits into your budget and matches what you describe from the list above.