Best Low Power Consumption Room Heater
Everyone believes winter is one of the most loved seasons, thanks to the seasonal delights it brings.
Even a few studies show that people do not go out during the winter, which often ends up increasing productivity.
Though the cold temperature during the winter helps to boosts the brain, reduces inflammation & improves productivity, extreme cold temperature can do exactly the opposite.
When the temperature falls, the low power consumption room heater can be your savior.
As the name suggests, a low power consumption room heater helps to heat the room by trading the possibly minimum power.
So, they are the perfect solution to have during winter. They consume less power, save money on electricity, and provide a warm environment.
This article will help you know the history of room heaters, different types available, its working, and benefits of buying a room heater. We have also listed a comprehensive buying guide that will help you pick one as per your needs, along with our recommendations and frequently asked questions.
Top 10 Best Low Power Consumption Room Heaters in India
Quality at a budget
Best for Small Rooms
Portable & Durable
Ideal for Medium Rooms
Best blower heater
History of Room Heaters:
Since ancient times, humans are keener to keep themselves warm during cold weather.
Adding a fireplace near the opening of caves (where humans used to live in ancient times) was the first attempt to keep the environment warm.
Over the years, this technique evolved as humans found various other ways and explored the science behind the temperature.
After the fireplace, they used furnaces to generate the heat.
They even used the central heating system to channel the heat across the house. Rome was considered the founder of the central heating system for the home.
They used pipes to channel the heat from the furnace to the rest of the house and kept these pipes behind the wall so that the house should remain warm.
Nowadays, keeping the room warm is an easy task.
You just need to buy a well-designed heater, which does the trick.
Dave Lennox is the first person to manufacture the steel coal furnace in 1895.
But, it was not efficient as it should be because the heat was transported via natural convection instead of fans.
After few years, Albert Marsh came up with an alloy made from the one part of Chromium and four-part of Nickel, which was 300 times stronger to transport the heat as compared to the similar material available at that time.
Albert Marsh is considered as the ‘Father of Electrical Heating Industry.’
Soon after Albert Marsh’s discovery of new alloy, room heater becomes more efficient and popular.
Today we have portable room heaters that can be carried anywhere as well as they are more efficient to keep the room warm.
Also, they are constructed with durable, light advanced metals as well as ceramics material.
How do Heaters Work?
With so many options to choose from, users get confused about which heater to choose and how it will work?
Though there are several types of heaters available in the market, every heater has three basic components that play an important role in generating heat.
The three primary things that every heater includes are:
- Heat source
- Heat Distribution System
- Control System
The main function of the heat source is to generate the heat, which is then distributed further to keep the house warm via specially designed distribution channels.
It can be a heat pump, furnace, boiler, or heating coils.
Out of these sources, coils are most popular as it allows to convert the electric power into heat.
When you switch on an electric room heater, electric energy runs through the heating coil, and due to the resistor, it is turned in to the heat.
While in other heat sources like furnace, heat from the fire is used.
Heat Distribution System
Once the heat source starts generating the heat, the heat distribution system comes into play and starts picking up the heat.
It does so via transforming cold air over the heat source.
As air flows over the heat source, it picks up the heat from the heat source and becomes warm, which is then blown out of the room heater using the fan.
The heat control system is also known as a thermostat, and it helps to control the amount of heat distributed via the room heater.
Advantages of Using Portable Room Heaters
Portable room heaters are versatile and have numerous advantages over the centralized room heating system.
Let’s see how it will benefit us.
Portable room heaters are a cost-effective solution to keep the room or office warm.
They cost less than the centralized room heating system and help us save money.
Also, they will consume much less energy to operate than the central heaters.
They do not require any installation except a few portable room heater comes with wall mount where you will need to mount them on the wall.
However, as compared to central room heaters, you will save lots of money on the installation process.
Not only that, but it takes less for portable room heaters to maintain them.
As discussed earlier, portable room heaters are versatile. They can be used where central heating can’t be a viable option.
You can use them in the bedroom, garage, office, or a shed. They can also be useful where home renovation is going on.
Energy & Fuel Savers
These heaters are energy and fuel savers.
As you will use it to heat the small area, it will not require more energy or fuel to run.
Also, all room heaters are energy efficient, they convert almost all the energy or fuel into the heat, leaving no room for energy or fuel loss in the process, so you pay for what you get.
Comparison Between Different Types of Heaters
Radiant or Infrared
Convection or Fan
Large Space Heating
Good for heating a big room
Ideal for a small area
Ideal for a small area
Costlier than the other two types(Rs.10000 approx)
Cheap approx. (Rs.1000 -2000)
Retain Moisture in the air
Can Dry Out the Air
Can Dry Out the Air
Types of Room Heaters
The Indian market has several types of room heater to offer. But the most popular and efficient types of room heaters are as follows:
- Fan heaters
- Oil Filled Heaters
- Infrared Heater
As the name suggests, these heaters use the fan to blow the air out from a heater.
These heaters include the heating elements which usually connected to electricity.
This heating element heats up the air, which then blown out by the fan and helps to warm the surrounding room.
They are also known as blow heaters.
Fan heaters are more efficient in the closed room.
They are less expensive to buy, but they require more power to run.
So if you want a room heater for daily use, then fan heaters can’t be a good fit for you.
Also, they are noisy as they use the fan to blow the air.
Oil Filled Heaters:
Though these heaters are named ‘Oil-filled heaters’, they do not run by burning oil.
Instead, they use the oil as a heat reservoir. These heaters are also known as a column heater, as they consist of the few metal column and cavities.
These cavities are filled with oil, which passes over the heating element then flows freely across the heater, releasing heat to the surroundings and keeping the room warm.
Once the oil releases the heat, it becomes cold and flows down toward the heating element due to the gravity.
This process of heating the oil is known as convection, so the heater is also called as convection heaters.
Often, oil heaters are cheaper and efficient to run and typically use 300 to 2400 watt power so they can be termed as the low power consumption room heater.
The only concern that these heaters bring is that they are prone to fire and burns.
They may fail down when kept on an uneven surface or can easily be knocked over.
So it is advisable not to keep anything within the three feet area of oil room heaters.
Infrared heaters are also known as the heat lamp.
It uses electromagnetic radiation to transfer the heat from the element with high temperature to the element with low temperature.
The best thing about these heaters is they do not require the medium or contact to transfer the heat so that they can be used in a vacuum or atmosphere.
They work by emitting infrared waves with the wavelength ranging between the 1nm up to the 780nm.
As per the wavelength bands they emit, infrared heaters are divided into the short, medium, or far wave infrared heaters.
Also, as per the type of material used in the heater, they can be divided into the heat lamp, ceramics infrared heat system, metal wire element heater, carbon heaters or gas-fired heaters, etc.
Features of Room Heaters You Should Look (Buying Guide)
Whether you are in the office or home, a room heater can give an extra boost to the room temperature and will keep the temperature optimum so that you can relax.
While buying the best low power consumption room heater, you need to consider few things so that you will not end up buying the heater you don’t want.
For the same purpose, we have done the heavy lifting for you and jolted down the several features of the room heater, as well as various tips that you can read before buying the room heater.
Automatic On-Off Switch (Safety Settings)
Heaters can lead to fire or burn the skin if you accidentally touch the hot area.
To prevent further damage, every other heater in the market has touch sensors that switch off the heater if someone touches the protective grill or accidentally knocks down the heater.
Usually, the heat output of the heater is directly proportional to the wattage of power it consumes.
The more wattage it uses, the more heat it will generate.
So, you need to decide how spacious a room you need to warm using it so that you can decide on the wattage.
Most homes in India have 5 Amps socket to you might need to go for a heater that uses less than 1000 Amps, or you might need to install a socket with higher Amps.
Handle of Heater
The handle of the heater is the most ignored but useful feature.
Design and placement of handle of heater matter a lot as it allows users to move room heater from one place to another with any problem.
Length of Power Cord
You don’t need a heater that confines near the socket just because it has a short power cord.
Buy a long power cord so that you can save the money buying an extension board.
You may need to change the heat settings as per the environmental temperature, so it is important to have the ability to change the heat settings.
Apart from the heat settings, humidification is one more important aspect that you should pay attention to.
It is a self-explanatory term that helps you identify the maximum amount of heat a room heater can generate.
The more the heat capacity, the more heat will be generated.
But keep in mind that the room heater with more heat capacity will consume more wattage leading to more energy bills.
Often, the room heater uses the fans to blow warm air in the room. The fan may cause noise.
You certainly don’t want a room heater, which creates constant noise.
Also, electronic devices tend to create some noise, so you need to choose the room heater, which creates less noise or doesn’t make any noise at all.
Level of light emission
Heaters often tend to emit the light.
Bright light may cause trouble during the night hours, so you must pay attention to the level of light it may emit to avoid the troubles during its use.
Type of plug
The heater comes with either standard or power plug.
For the safe operation of the heater, having a safe plug is an important feature to have.
Every room heater demands some energy to operate.
If we can focus on getting energy efficient room heater, you can able to save some energy in the long term.
While buying a room heater, look for its energy ratings, it will give the basic idea of how much energy efficient that heater is.
Usually, room heaters do not follow the best practices of energy savings, at least look for the room heater which incorporated some basic energy efficiency standards.
Buying energy-efficient heater will save the energy in long term usage and will allow you to be a part of the global energy conservation movement.
Apart from that, it will save some money on the electricity bill.
1. Orpat OEH Fan Heater – Our Pick
Though it comes with several lucrative features, what we liked most is that it allow users to choose from two heat settings 1000 watts and 2000 watts.
Which means you can change the heating mode as per the size of your room. Also, it helps to save some money by reducing power consumption.
- The heating element is known to have a better life.
- Heat up to 250 sq. ft wide rooms.
- Portable heater.
- The thermal cut-off avoids any mishap if something goes wrong.
- The exterior body is durable and made to have cool-to-touch experience.
- In-built handle to move the heater from one place to other
- Has one year warranty from Orpat
- Has two different heat options
- Durable heat element and exterior material
- Compact heater, easy to move
- Can run for a considerable time
- Fan based heater
- Only useful for small rooms
2. Jimwey Portable Room Heater
The Jimwey fan heater comes with an electric heating wire that quickly heats up in a few seconds and distributes it evenly.
Once turned on, the fan rotates at an 80-degree angle from left to right to generate heat.
It prevents uncomfortable throat and skin that is caused due to one direction heaters.
This fan heater increases the heating area efficiently. This heater is sleek and has a clean and smooth design that looks elegant in your office as well as home.
- Its carry handle lets you easily move the heater anywhere.
- It works on extremely low noise and does not disturb your activities.
- The heater comes with inbuilt intelligent temperature control that keeps it safe from overheating or other abnormal conditions.
- Its outer body is made from ABS plastic that is a fire retardant that provides double safety.
- Power- 400 Watts.
- It is energy efficient.
- It features double heat protection AMT thermal protector + Thermal Fuse). Hence it shuts off automatically in case it overheats.
- The heating wire and shell are separated, which makes the fan more durable.
- The heater is very easy to use. You just have to plugin and press the ON/OFF button.
- Heats the room quite fast.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Its power supply cable is too short.
3. Lifelong 2000W Flare-Y Convector
Lifelong LLFH03 Flare-Y Convector is an ISI certified fan room heater. It comes with a powerful 2400 RPM copper winded motor for quick heating.
The heater can be set up for three air-setting cool, warm, or hot weather and preferred room temperature. It has an air throw range of 10 feet, which is ideal for the small to medium-sized room.
- Auto switches off to prevent overheating when the temperature reaches 130° C.
- The heater is equipped with a safety fuse that switches off when the heater reaches 126° C.
- It comes with two heating options, 1000 watts, and 2000 watts, that lets you save electricity
- The plastic body of the heater is fire resistant.
- Metal grill securely locks in the copper element, ensuring the safety of homes and families.
- The copper winding motor gives 2400 rotations per minute that quickly heats up and distributes the heat evenly across the room.
- The heater has three air settings that makes it ideal to use throughout the year.
- The heater makes lots of noise.
4. Solimo 2000 Watt Room Heater
Solimo manufactures premium quality and great value products.
The Solimo 2000 watt provides effective heating as it has a copper winding motor, which gives 2400 rotations per minute.
This 2000 watt powered room heater produces enough heat to keep a small to medium-sized room warm.
- The 2400 RPM copper winded motor can be used in both vertical and horizontal directions.
- The room heater has a one year warranty.
- The motor should be used with a 16A plug. Using a lower rating might melt the plug or socket.
- The heater can be placed either vertically or horizontally, which throws air up to 10 meters.
- It has a wind selection knob for heat setting, which emits cool, warm, and hot air.
- It weighs merely 1.5 kgs and is portable for easy movement between rooms.
- The plastic body of this heater is rust free and fire-resistant, and the metal grill in front keeps the copper element safe.
- It requires 200-240V for operation.
- The built-in overheating protection keeps the heater safe.
- It has a safety fuse, which automatically turns the heater off when the temperature reaches 126-degree celsius.
- This versatile heater comes with an inbuilt fan hence can be used as a cooler during high temperatures outside.
- It can be wall-mounted, which keeps it away from children.
- It has a handle that makes it easy to hold.
- Knobs are very delicate to handle.
5. LIBRA 1500 Watt Ceramic Room Heater
The LIBRA 150 watt ceramic room heater is portable and comes with an attractive design that looks elegant and matches the interiors of your house or office.
It comes with improved safety as the PTC material, which acts as its own sensor and eliminates the risk of overheating.
It is made from 100% pure copper wire motor and requires a voltage of 230V.
- The PTC heating surface maintains its designed temperature, which distributes uniform heat without leaving behind any hot or cold spots.
- This heater quickly draws power at low temperatures to reach the desired temperature and eventually consumes less power, thus saving more energy.
- The heater is durable as it withstands folding, piercing, or creasing. It is also water-resistant and anti-corrosive, which results in prolonged life.
- The room heater has 3 modes, namely, only fan, heater position 1, and heater position 2. You can also control the fan speed through a dedicated fan controller.
- It comes with 2 heat settings and thermostat setting.
- It automatically cuts off power to prevent it from overheating.
- The top knob of this heater acts as a mode selector which has different modes like a normal fan to heater position.
- It warms the room in a very short time, even during cold temperatures.
- The heater is fail-safe, which means it will stop drawing current from the failed part, and the rest of the heater will continue to work.
- It has a large front grill which displaces more air and covers a larger area.
- Works on very low noise.
- Only suitable for very small rooms.
6. Eveready 800-Watt Room Heater – Quality at a budget
Eveready is widely known for its long-lasting batteries and is a 100-year-old company that won the trust of customers.
The brand has brought various products in the market, including the room heaters.
Eveready room heater is a spot heater and has a portable design to make it easy to carry from one room to another.
Its safety tip-over switch allows users to enjoy the heat in cold weather without worrying about any mishap.
- A portable heater weighs approximately 2.15 kg and easy to carry.
- The cabinet of the heater is made from metal, while the top and side covers are made from non-meltable plastic.
- The cord of the heater is approximately 4 feet long.
- Comes with two quartz tubes that provide direct heating.
- Comes with one year of onsite warranty from the manufacturer.
- Best for spot heating up to 100 sqft.
- Has heating indicator
- Safety tip-over switch cut mechanism help to avoid the mishap
- Uses less power (800 watts)
- Has dual heat settings
- Top and side cover made from plastic that may meltdown on high-temperature.
- Cant be used for bigger sized rooms.
7. V-Guard 800 Room Heater – Best for Small Rooms
Started as a single man company in 1977, V-guard now has a wide range of products to sell.
They believe in building the quality products that are reliable to use, so does the V-guard room heater.
V-guard room heater uses the ‘Quartz’ tubes as a heating element, which becomes very hot and when it reaches an appropriate temperature, it starts to emit the heat to keep the room warm.
This technique is termed as short wave infrared heating or radiant heating.
Infrared room heaters require less energy consumption, so does the V-guard room heater.
It runs on the 800 watts.
- Has dual quartz tubes to emit more infrared waves.
- The external body of the heater is made of plastic.
- Compact and stylish design
- Uses 800 watts energy.
- Compact design
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Ideal for small rooms
- Onsite warranty for one year
- The external plastic design may meltdown if heat is extreme
- Two quartz rod is not sufficient for large rooms
- Quartz rods not covered under warranty.
8. Inalsa Blaze 2000-Watt Room Heater – Portable & Durable
Inalsa is one of the fast-growing company that offers a wide range of home and personal care appliances.
Founded in 1967, it is a subsidiary of the Taurus group having HQ in Spain and doing its business in several countries.
As like in other countries, Inalsa products are well received by Indian consumers due to their quality.
Inalsa blaze room heater is an all in one solution to keep your room cool, warm, and hot.
You name it, and they have it. It has three switches to choose what temperature you want.
It 34 cm long, 28 cm wide, and has 13 cm height.
Along with these dimensions, it weighs around 2.9 kg, which makes it a fairly portable room heater.
It works by heating the air and blowing it upward in the room, which then slowly fills the room, achieving the maximum heat and keeping the room warm.
You don’t have to worry about getting the room too hot as it comes with the thermostat, which turns off the heater when the desired temperature of the room is reached.
- Inalsa blaze room heater has a high-velocity blower which helps to blow out the warm air in the room.
- It comes with an adjustable stand so that users can adjust them as per their requirements.
- To move it from one place to another, the Inalsa blaze room heater has an inbuilt carry handle.
- A power indicator light allows users to understand whether the heater is on or off.
- It has a copper winding motor that works using around 2000 watts power and 220 – 240 voltage.
- The outer body is made up of iron metal.
- Can heat up to 400 sq ft—room in 20 minutes.
- Medium-sized, fairly portable room heater
- Thermostat control protects the overheating
- Sturdily built with an external body made from iron metal
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Requires 15 amps socket
- The power cord is too short
9. Lifesmart Room Infrared Heater – Ideal for Medium Rooms
LifeSmart is one of the leading company that deals in the appliances which are required to make smart homes and is a China-based brand.
They are known to serve more than 1 million customers across the globe, and their product utilizes the power of AI.
As the name suggests, this infrared room heater is built to heat the medium-sized room and offices, and one can control its functionality using the remote.
It is known to be a safe, ultra-efficient room heater that uses 1500 watts and has three energy-saving settings that include ECO settings to heat up the small rooms to 68 degrees using just 500 watts power.
- Ultra-efficient infrared heater useful for medium-sized rooms
- Has three metal wrapped quartz rods as a heating element
- Lifetime washable air filter
- Comes with remote control
- Allows dual timer settings which can turn off the unit up to 12 hrs ahead
- Can easily heat up to the 150 sq ft. room
- Can be controlled using the remote control
- Comes with a 1-year warranty for electrical components
- Has three energy-saving settings that use 1500, 1000 and 500 watts
- Portable, compact design
- Saves money by low energy consumption
- The power cord is too small for the amount of energy this heater uses, which may result in fire.
- May cause grinding sound
10. Indus Zolo Blower Type Room Heater – Best blower heater
Indus deals with several products that require in the kitchen and home.
This blower type room heater is one of their newly launched products, which helps users to keep the room warm.
The body of the Zolo plastic room heater has a powder-coated finish, which prevents its surface from getting the scratches during the rough use.
It has inbuilt safety settings that switch off the heater instantly when it falls or tilts.
- The external body is made using plastic but has a powder coating to prevent the corrosions.
- Work by consuming low power. (Uses up to 2000 watt)
- Comes with the two heat settings.
- Provides the hooks at the back of the heater to mount the power cord when not in use.
- Saves energy
- Easy to install and portable heater
- Has tip-over switch that avoids any mishaps when heater falls down.
- Ideal for the bedroom and kids room
- Has a 1-year warranty
- Not ideal for the big rooms
- Body made of plastic, which makes it less durable
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do fan heaters give off carbon monoxide?
Fan of room heaters does not play a role in creating carbon monoxide, but the type of fuel heater runs on decide whether it will create carbon monoxide or not.
Home devices that burn fuel to operate always create CO. If your room heater is not using electric power and running on fuel, then there are chances that it is creating the CO.
Electric room heaters never create carbon monoxide.
Heaters that burn fuel to generate the heat can create the CO.
2. Is it safe to sleep with a heater on?
No. The major concern about keeping heaters on while you sleep is that you won’t be able to attend the problems if any arise.
You can turn on your heater in the evening and slowly make the room comfortably warm but not too warm so that you can keep the heater on while lying of bed for a few minutes more.
Once you start feeling sleepy, turn off the heater.
3. Which type of heater is cheapest to run?
Oil-Fired and halogen heaters are the cheapest to run hen compared to others. on the other hand, fans and fires are relatively expensive to run.
Higher the wattage, costlier it to run.
In this guide, you saw the reviews of the best 7 products available in the market.
Now, you can easily choose the best suitable room heater according to your requirements.
Out of seven, the most liked product and our top pick are Orpat OEH Fan Heater.
Orpat is the top pick because of the 2000 watts power supply, stylish design, and affordable price range.