Best Kids Tricycle
As children grow older, it is likely that they will begin to develop more restless and tired of indoor games and activities. Wishing to become independent will often push them to look for other forms of games that will keep them occupied.
Children start having some fun ideas as they turn to toddlers, and with the help of tricycle, they can have fun on the walkway, on their way to school, in the playground and even at home. Tricycles or scooters come in a variety of forms for one to choose from, and this makes it a bit confusing when it comes to selecting a baby tricycle.
Tricycles are an ideal form of sport or activity that can improve the child’s mobility skills both indoors and outdoors. It also helps in the development of the child’s independence, confidence, stability, and coordinative ability.
As a tricycle has so many advantages on baby’s development, it is, therefore, crucial to making the right choice. Therefore, to aid in making the right selection, this guide will cover most of the segment associated with baby tricycle which includes types of tricycles, parts, benefits, what are the safety precautions, buying guides, frequently asked questions and the top 10 best tricycles in market.
Top 9 Kids Tricycle
Fancy and Elegant
High Quality and Stylish
Heavy Duty Frame Tricycle
Tricycle for Toddlers
Indoors and Outdoors Baby Tricycle
Foldable and Travel-Friendly
Parts of a Tricycle
Tricycles are made up of different parts, and this makes it able to move and function effectively. With the aid of these parts, a child can comfortably ride the tricycle around and remain safe. Some of the essential parts that the tricycles come with includes
To be stable on a tricycle, one needs to keep their feet and also to bear all the weight of the child. The deck is known as the board where one keeps their foot. It is also important to note that all other parts of the tricycle are connected to it. The deck is made from metals like titanium and aluminum.
Others are made from maple ply. This deck is made from solid material because it is the part that takes all the weight of the rider. The sizes of the deck vary depending on the child’s age and feet size.
The Tricycle Wheels
This is another critical component of a tricycle. This part is the one that comes in contact with the ground, and it is expected to be functional. It does the work of moving the tricycle from one location to another. The wheels come with two rollers that are firmly attached to the ends of the deck.
The kid’s wheels are mostly made from rubber, but the technology used in the manufacturing varies. The wheels come in different sizes based on the ages of the child, and some tricycles come with different sizes of front and back wheels. A bigger baby tricycle wheel helps in absorbing more shocks while riding and from bumps.
This is part of baby safety. With the help of the brakes, the child can easily speed down or stop the tricycle from movement. The tricycle comes with a rear fender brake that activates the braking system. Some models of a tricycle come with a hand brake at the front on the handlebar. For more safety on the tricycle, most manufacturers now design scooters with a dual brake.
To keep your hand steady, the handlebars are necessary on the tricycle. It is where the kid keeps his/her hand while they push along on the tricycle. It is used in maneuvering along the road while riding. Most models of a tricycle come with an adjustable handlebar that allows one to adjust it to the height of the child.
Benefits of a Tricycle for Kids
The use of tricycle by kids is essential in the development of both the mental and physical abilities of the child. With the development of cognitive strength and stability, toddlers can grow up healthier and stronger and also get prepared for riding a bicycle. Here are some benefits of a tricycle for kids
Development of physical and mental health
One of the best ways of developing a good physical and psychological wellbeing of the child is through exercise. The benefit of tricycle riding exercise is that it helps to improve the cardiovascular, the joints, and the baby bones and also to strengthen the child. This also helps in the development of the mental health that comes with exercise.
Different ranges of motion
Riding a tricycle helps in the development of the ability to move easier due to the range of motion that comes with it. It makes bathing and dressing up easier and also decreases pain for the child.
Development of a healthy body
To develop a healthy body for a child requires an active exercise. Riding tricycle helps the child’s body to stay healthy and also strengthen the antigravity muscles.
Aids in the development of the digestive system
ricycle helps to regulate the digestive system of the kid better. It also helps to induce quality sleep after the ride.
It’s a fun way to exercise
Participating in tricycle exercise is a fun way to exercise for kids and also for children with special needs. Some special tricycle is being designed to accommodate these children with minimal postural support. It is real for kids seeking to play.
Helps in Breathing and blood circulation
The riding of tricycle also helps in the contract and release of the muscles. This contract helps in the flow of blood and oxygen throughout the child’s body. With this, it strengthens the child’s breathing and blood circulation while still having fun.
Helps in Trunk Control & Balance
With the aid of tricycle, a child can control its balance. It also helps the child to sit upright. With the riding of this tricycle, the trunk and head control get better and the energy required to maintain this lessens.
It helps in the development of visual perception since movement and cognition are intertwined. While the child is riding the tricycle, they learn to process their environment while moving visually. Understanding their surrounding is important in developing their full potentials.
Movement by the child is important for the development of cognitive skills. While they wish to explore their environment and have fun – their in-turn develop their cognitive ability. This can be through the use of a tricycle, a self-propelled chair, a power wheelchair or a bunny hop.
Safety Precaution in the Use of Tricycle for Kids
In riding of tricycle by toddlers and older kids, some safety precaution needs to be adhered to in other to prevent the child from hurting his or her self while riding. In keeping the fun of riding tricycle safe, the following tips should be followed
- Avoid purchasing a tricycle for kids that cannot control their heads and stability. It is recommended that one should not buy tricycle until the child has developed the basic coordination needed to ride the tricycle well.
- In riding a tricycle by kids, it is necessary that the child puts on a safety bike helmet at all time while riding.
- It is usually recommended that a child starting riding when he or she is around the ages of 1 to 3 years.
- It is important to buy a tricycle that is solidly constructed.
- Make sure to go for a tricycle that is an ideal size of the child to enable him or her sit comfortably while pedaling.
- Make sure you watch the child closely while they are riding.
- Do not allow the child to ride in places that are hazardous and dangerous.
- Children should not be allowed to ride the tricycle close to a busy road, swimming pools or moving cars.
Types of Tricycles for Kids
Tricycle for kids comes in two broad categories. This includes
The Outdoor Tricycles
This models of tricycles are suitable for outdoor purposes. These outdoor tricycles are usually made from metal or steel frame and come with rubber tires. It is necessary it comes in this way to enable the child to ride both on a dirt road, rough roads and travels without fear of the tricycle getting damaged.
It is sturdier and balanced since it needs to move past bumps while moving. It is essential to always be with the child most times to prevent them from falling off or tipping over.
The Indoor Tricycles
Indoor tricycles are lighter in weight when compared to the outdoor version. This tricycles are light and made from plastic. It is also portable and easy to carry around. Since it is lightweight, if it falls on the child while riding, it would cause little or no damage to the child.
Buying Guides on Kids Tricycles
In buying kids tricycle, some important features are necessary for one to look out for. Since different types of kids tricycles abound in the market, it is often difficult to select the right one for the child. Here are some important features to look out for when making a purchase decision
The Tricycle Design
One thing about tricycle that is worth noting is that almost every tricycles come with its unique designs. Different products come with unique wireframes, and the color schemes are often different too. It is, therefore, necessary to determine the type of design that you would love to get for your child based on your child’s preference or yours.
Tricycles are popular among children, and it is designed by different manufacturers. Some of the most popular tricycle brands in the market include the Micro, Razor, Xootr, Go-Ped, and 5STARR. These brands are reputed for their high quality due to its hi-tech designs. Going for a trustworthy brand is important.
It is necessary to determine the type of wireframe that will suit your child before purchasing.Some tricycles are close to the ground with a seat on the same level as the pedals. This type of wireframe are suitable for younger toddlers to enable them to lean back and then steer and pedal without any fear of tipping over.
The older kids might require a higher seat that is off the ground with push handlers that are longer to enable for easy steering.
This is one important feature to look out for when buying a tricycle. The power of the pedal determines how long it is going to last while the child is pedaling. It also determines the speed the tricycle will go.
It is necessary to determine the color schemes that will captivate and stimulate the child’s virtual. This can be done by taking your child to local stores around and allow them to make a choice – then you can easily make a purchase online for the selected color of the tricycle.
The Grow-With-Me Features
This is one of the features that most tricycle comes with. It allows the tricycle to grow with the child. This is as a result of its adjustability of the height and handles as the child grows. Most grow-with-me tricycles are designed in such a way that it can take your child from ages one to five.
Comfortable Seat Cushion
How comfortable is the tricycle? is another factor to consider when choosing a tricycle. Make sure that the child is of the same height and size of the child. With this they will be comfortable while riding. Also, the seat cushion should be comfortable too.
The Safety Features
It is necessary to look out for the safety features and gears that the tricycle comes with. You won’t want your child to get hurt while riding the tricycle. It is also necessary to check the design of the tricycle before buying since some are bulkier while others are lighter. This has a part to play in the safety of the child if they tip off.
Different tricycle is designed in a way that it is suitable for different ages. These ages are specified by the manufacturer since some are made for an infant between the ages of 9 to 12 months. And these are designed with some features that suit the group. There is also tricycle designed for older toddler’s ages between 3 to 6 years old. Tricycles for older kids are usually taller and also made from steel and metal materials
Another important feature to look out for before purchasing a tricycle is the sizing of the product as it suits the child. Buying a tricycle for a child that is meant for a five years old child for 1 year old child will be uniting for him. This causes more harm than good. Therefore, it is necessary to purchase one that is suitable for the child.
Folding System and Portability
Tricycles are often designed in a way that makes it foldable. This makes it easy to be carried about and stored. It is important to go for products that are easy to fold in seconds. Also, it is necessary to get a lightweight product that the child can quickly move around.
The 3 Stages
Another unique feature that is recommended to buyers is a 3-stages tricycle that can be converted to different forms. The first stage is to be turned to a rocker until your child learns how to balance themselves on the seat as they rock back and forth.
This can later be converted to a pushable tricycle for the child as you push the tricycle while the child is still learning to pedal. Lastly, the tricycle can then be converted to a trike where the child can now ride on their own without any need for you to push it.
Most baby tricycle price comes with different tags depending on the designs and brands. But it is important to note that they are low price tricycles that are of good quality and can last for an extended period. But it is often known that more expensive products often come with higher quality and features.
Accessories and Parts
How easy is it to buy and replace the tricycle parts is another important thing to consider when buying a tricycle. No matter how careful you are while buying, there is the possibility of the part losing or stop working – therefore, it is necessary to go for a brand that the replacement is handy?
1. R for Rabbit Tiny Toes Tricycle – Our Pick
R for Rabbit is one of the known and safe brands in the market for baby toys, accessories and tricycles. It is EN71 certified which is one of the most stringent certifications by European standards. Each part of the tricycle was fully considered.
It is ideal for a growing child and fun for them to ride on while playing with a friend. It is also known for its ease of installation. The tricycle does not require the child to pedal due to its directional control. It only needs the parents to guide the child with the push handle.
- It comes with a stylish push bar
- The tricycle also comes with a directional control
- Fully certified with EN 71 as defined by European standards
- It is a grow with me tricycle
- The tricycle can be used by a child from age 1.5 to 5 years
- The tricycle can support a baby weighing up to 25 Kg
- It comes with a plug and play wheels
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Designed with Chrome wheels that makes it captivating to the children
- Very stable and secure
- Easy to install within 5 minutes
- It comes with a push handle which is removable & adjustable
- It has an item weight of 6.56 Kg
- A minimum age recommendation of 18 months
- The tricycle comes with a comfortable seat and safety belts (2 point safety harness)
- The product comes with a storage basket for the baby toys
- It comes with a cute bell
- It has a fold-down footrest
- It has a perfect look and design
- One great aspect of this tricycle is the detachable parental control and the foldable footrest
- It is easy to assemble
- Sturdy and well built
- Not suitable for kids below 38 inches tall
- It’s a high tricycle
- The handle of this tricycle does not turn fully. It can only turn approximately 35 to 45 degree
2. Amardeep & Co Baby Tricycle – Fancy and Elegant
This baby tricycle is an ideal option for a child learning how to master the first stage of pedaling. It gives the parents an opportunity to control the speed and steering. This Amardeep tricycle is 100 percent Indian made and made from premium materials that give your child fun.
It comes with a touch of style, elegance, beauty, and stability. It’s a great way to keep them busy and their first exposure to adventure. You can watch your child grow while learning how to pedal and balance themselves.
The push bar handle allows one to control the speed and steering during the learning phase
- The Amardeep and Co tricycle comes with a removable push bar
- It comes with a rear basket to store the baby’s toys
- The armrest that the tricycle comes with help to enclose the child on the seat to prevent them from falling off.
- It also comes with a removable footrest
- The canopy that it comes with help to protect the child from sun rays and drizzling
- It comes with a sturdy steel pipe frame
- High quality plastic body
- It has a rubber grip handle
- The tricycle comes with some nursery rhymes for the child’s pleasure
- The backrest help to keep the baby comfortable
- It comes with an unbreakable body with some attractive and funny cartoon face
- The parts of the tricycle were design using high precision machines
- It comes with durable tires
- A minimum age requirement of 12 months
- It comes with a parental control option
- With its removable and solid seat belt, it gives additional protection to the child
- Its price is ok
- The tricycle does not require batteries
- It also comes with a standout toy
- The foot stand of the tricycle often sticks to the back wheel
- The assembly is not easy
3. R for Rabbit Tiny Toes Sportz Tricycle – High Quality and Stylish
This is one of the best brands in children products. It is reputed for its penchant for safety. The tricycle is EN71 certified which is one of the most stringent certifications as defined by European standards for tricycles.
It is beautifully designed in a way that is captivating to the kids and safe from sunlight. The overlaying canopy keeps the delicate skin of the baby from harm.
It comes with a very comfortable seat and cushions with a secured front bar.
- It comes with a great chrome finishing wheel that makes it attractive for both the kids and the parents
- Fully secured and certified
- It comes with a foldable canopy that protects the child from UV rays
- The wheel is designed in a way that it is suitable to be used inside the house
- It comes with a secured front bar that keeps the child safe during the ride
- The tricycle comes with a 2 point safety belt
- It has a stylish push bar for directional control
- A manufacturer minimum age of 18 months
- A removable and adjustable push handle
- It comes with a cushioned seat
- Best best toddler tricycle with push handle
- Installation of this tricycle is a bit tricky
- The wheel is a bit tight
4. Dash Stylish Kids Tricycle – Sporty Tricycle
The dash is one of the leading manufacturing companies in India market. It is a producer of baby products and baby tricycle. Fully certified because of its high quality and safe products. Its tricycle is high quality and stylish with a look of sporty bike for the child.
The product comes with some nursery rhymes that keep the baby happy at all time while riding. This music comes up by pressing the music button on the tricycle.
This tricycle is suitable for both boys and girls
- The tricycle is designed in such a way that it gives a sports bike picture
- Comes with some musical rhymes and lights
- The tricycle comes with an engine like structure at the bottom
- It comes with a big backrest
- Ideal for children between the ages of 2 to 5 years
- 11. It comes with a wide wheelbase to provide stability
- It comes with a curvy and comfortable seat
- It comes with a battery
- It has an item weight of 5.7 Kg
- The product is made from good materials
- It has rugged tread wheels to help the child maneuver
- It comes with storage spaces for the child to keep their toys while riding
- The tricycle is hard to assemble
- The tightening screws are difficult to hold since most holes are not fitting correctly.
5. Baybee Octroid Tricycle – Heavy Duty Frame Tricycle
The baybee Octroid tricycle is another heavy duty frame tricycle for kids. It comes with high support to keeps the baby secure while riding. The tricycle comes with sturdy EVA tires that are stylish and last for a long time.
It can carry a baby weighing up to 25 Kg due to its sturdy nature and stronger tires. It is made from standard virgin PVC plastic and metal materials that are safe for the child
- Comes with a storage basket
- It has a high back support
- Designed with a heavy duty frame
- Suitable for standard riding
- All the three tires are 10 inches in size
- Internationally tested and certified
- Beautifully designed to captivate your child
- Made from PVC plastic and metal materials
- Comes with a broad seat for the child’s comfort
- It comes with three spoke plastic alloy designed wheels
- The tricycle comes with a large size wheels
- An item weight of 5 Kg
- Suitable for kids between the ages of 3 to 6 years
- It also comes with music and LED
- It comes with a non-slippery gripped pedals
- The lighting and music that the tricycle comes with makes it unique and adds flavor to it
- A very sturdy and robust product
- It does not come with an on and off button for the music
- The end caps on the rear is made from plastic and get easily destroyed when kids stand on the rear bar
6. Baybee Duster Tricycle – Tricycle for Toddlers
The Baybee Duster is a baby tricycle. It comes with a smart plug that is easy to use. The tricycle is suitable for kids between 1.5 to 5 years old. It is fully certified by EN71 which is the most stringent certification as defined by European standards. Every part of the product is considered safe. It is very easy to install within 5 min.
One important feature of this product is that it comes with parental comfort and control that aids in keeping the kids safe while riding.
- It is fully safe and secured by the EN71 European Standard
- Ease of installation (5 Minutes)
- The plug and play chrome wheel that the tricycle comes with makes it loved by almost every child and parents due to its beauty
- It has a safety belt that also ensures the child security when the child sits on the seat
- The tricycle comes with a removable canopy that offers alternative protection from UV
- The product comes with a parental control option
- It comes with 3 adjustable heights that ranges from 31.75 inches to 38 inches high.
- It has a package dimension of 35 x 25 x 12 cm
- Manufacturer minimum age requirement of 18 months
- The product comes with a great quality
- Easy and safe installation
- It takes less than 5 minutes to fully install the tricycle and ready for the ride.
- It is quite expensive when compared to other products.
- Some past users complained of bad or damaged parts when they received the product
7. Luvlap Charlie Baby Tricycle – Indoors and Outdoors Baby Tricycle
Luvlap baby tricycle is designed in a way that completes the child’s fun. It emphasizes safety and great features. These beautifully designed tricycles are meant to expose your child to adventure as they move around the streets and country roads.
Designed with the latest technology and ergonomically made to keep them comfortable while riding.
- Fully certified as per European Standard (EN 71)
- The tricycle comes with a horn that keeps them engaged while riding
- It comes with a spacious back basket that the child can keep his or her toys
- The tricycle comes with a strong wheelbase to give stability
- Minimum age recommendation of 6 months
- It comes with a slip resistant pedals and smooth edges to help for independent pedaling
- The tricycle helps in the development of the child’s motor skills
- It is meant for both outdoor and indoor use
- The instructional manual is not detailed
8. Goyal Mr. Rambo Baby Tricycle – Foldable and Travel Friendly
This is a very beautiful tricycle that helps the kids to develop good motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and social skills and to make a prompt decision. It helps the child also to learn how to balance while riding. With the use of this tricycle, the kids are secured and safe from fall.
- It comes with LED and good music
- It requires 2 AA batteries
- It is made from an unbreakable plastics made of ABS materials
- The recommended age for this product is 1 to 4 years
- Minimum recommended age of 12 months
- The tricycle comes with a sturdy and comfortable seat
- Easy to assemble
- One major advantage of this tricycle is that it is foldable – therefore saves storage space
- Great quality product
- The lights are a good add-on
- The wheel needs a silicon or rubber ring to enable it to have a grip on marble surface
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the ideal ages for a toddler to begin riding a tricycle?
Tricycle for a kid is recommended from a year old. But it is important to make sure that the child has good balancing skills before they commence riding.
2. What is the best way to teach a toddler to ride a tricycle?
It is important to note that the child can control his or her neck and willing to ride a tricycle. Make sure that they have good balance skills before putting them on the seat. Then you can have them scoot along.
Don’t put their feet on the pedal first – glide along the road or room to get them to master the art of balancing.
After the gliding, the child must have learned how to steer and move towards the desired direction. Then you can introduce pedaling.
3. What is the importance of a tricycle to Toddler Development?
Tricycles are of much importance to infants and young toddlers in the development of some basic skills. It helps to develop them to walk faster, motor skills, hand-eye coordination skills, and others.
4. How can I find a Safe Tricycle for my Toddler?
Check reviews from previous users and look out for some known brands like the ones reviewed in this article. It should be known that all safe tricycles come with a wide seat, responsive push handles, a sturdy frame and a great wheels that can move smoothly along different surfaces.
5. Can I get a toddler tricycles with a push bar?
Yes. Most baby’s tricycles come with a push bar. Some baby tricycle with push handle comes with a removable push bar that one can pull-off as the child grows older
6. What are the steps to use in maintaining my baby tricycle?
The best way to maintain your baby tricycle to last long and for it to function correctly is to clean it often after every ride to remove the accumulated dirt and debris. Also, make sure that the tires and handles are adequately taken care of.
It is also essential for one to lubricate the tricycle bearings often.
7. What is the ideal deck height for the child?
This is relative to the height of the child. Since the deck is the distance between the ground and the board, therefore it is necessary to adjust it not too high or too low.
8. What is the use of a deck?
A tricycle deck affects riding in this way: To avoid bumps or lumps during a ride. It also helps one to move smoothly to avoid hitting the surface with the bottom of the Tricycle board.
9. Should I get a tricycle with a hand brake?
This is dependent on your choice and safety needs. Some tricycles come with it fitted with the break at the rear wheel while others have a dual system where the rider has to use as it comes with the handlebar called the hand brake.
There are many baby tricycle amazon and from the expert reviews, our pick is R for Rabbit Tiny Toes Grand Baby/Kids Cycle-Smart Plug, Amardeep & Co Baby Tricycle 1-3 yrs and R for Rabbit Tiny Toes Sportz
It is important to go for a quality tricycle when buying for one’s kid. These products should be lightweight so as for it to be easy for the child to carry around. It is also important to look out for tricycles that are easily foldable and portable.