10 Best Guitar Accessories
Earlier the mentality of our parents was traditional. They believed that a student should be strong in academic front in order to excel in life. They failed to believe that co-curricular activities helped in the overall development of children. Not just the individual development that it showed on oneself, it had other benefits such as developing a healthy relationship with others, your time-management skills and your commitment towards the designated work.
The scenes of today’s life are different from those that existed a decade back. Most of us have indulged ourselves into extra-curricular activities which have allowed us to grow better and excel more in life. Many of us have chosen sports, music, dance, and art as their priority and the way for them to learn. There is no such measurement so as to which one of them is considered to be superior to the other. One has to say that music is much preferred than most of the other art forms.
Did you know along with musical instruments you also have to their accessories like a guitar has a guitar tuner, straps, cleaner and much more? In this article, we will provide you with all the necessary information so that even if it’s your first time using a guitar or you have been using it for a while, all the products you purchase have a positive impact. You will find information like how music effects, benefits of guitar, buyers guide. Lastly, we have also mentioned our Top 10 recommended products and some FAQ’s to help you with the selection.
Top 10 Guitar Accessories
Strong and Sturdy
No Damage on Fretboards of pressure
Produces Clean and Crisp Sound
Great for Electric and Acoustic Guitars
Handy and Sleek
Best for Strumming
Useful Kit for Musicians
How Music Affects Our Life
One of an integral part of life is played by music. An acute way of expressing your ideas and emotions is through music. By using the elements of rhythm and melody both by instruments and voice, we can express our ideas and thoughts. In our spare times, one of the best things that would make us feel calm and peaceful would be listening to music. A child during early age is advised to listen to soft music. It helps in improving your communication skills. The power of music is brilliant because at times of depression and anxiety if you listen to music, it would soothe your mind. If those people who are suffering from blood pressure, soft music helps you to reduce it. Music has a lot of advantages to play in your life.
Playing the Guitar and Its Benefits
Guitar playing has a good amount of benefits so as any other instrument. When you grip your guitar, you would feel instantly cooler and better. Those who have a taste towards this instrument would feel good playing and listen to it.
- You feel stress relieved: No matter what the matter is which makes you feel stressful, playing the guitar for a while makes you feel relieved. This happens because it shifts your focus towards the strings and rhythm and you forget all that makes you stressful.
- Stimulates your brain: While you are focussing on the chords, strings, and lessons, you need to have the good brain power, you have to pay more attention to details about making correction and adjustments. It will surely help stimulate your brain.
- It soothes your heart: The rhythm, tone, and voice that guitar creates makes you feel relaxed and soothes your heart. It can even lower your blood pressure.
Apart from all these above benefits, there are others which makes it a good source of benefits and advantage.
Now, if you are a beginner and learning to play the guitar, there are some accessories which are a must have so that it removes frustration and make your life a little bit easier. There are a lot of accessories that are important while playing the Guitar. Let us look have a look at all those.
1. Guitar Tuner
This is considered to be one of the most important accessories that one must have if he wishes to buy the guitar. Off-tuned strings always cause a disturbance to your ears and it would not at all sound good while playing it. Most of the beginners do not have knowledge about this product. As you learn guitar, your ears try to distinguish between what sounds good and what sounds bad.
Most of the modern guitars that are available in the market have an in-built guitar. The preferable choice is to buy a guitar tuner which is easy to operate and tune the strings. Buying an inaccurate and cheap tuner does not benefit you, so it is better to buy a good tuner that helps you develop as a guitarist!
Type: Clip-on or Headstock Tuners
Clip-on or Headstock Tuners are those who can get clipped on to the top of your guitars to detect the tone of each string through the vibrations. It also has a microphone attached to it which helps in detecting the sound. The swivel on the tuners helps players to detect the tuning. Pedal Tuners are those which is built into a case that can be placed at your feet for inconspicuous use by performers. They can be easily read on darkened stages as well. Built-in Preamp Tuners, many guitars have tuners which are built on their preamplifier circuit making it easy for use.
While tuning your guitar, the meter should be easily visible or even if you are performing in a dark area, you must be able to read the meter easily.
If the quality of the tuner is good then it can easily detect the pitch of the played tone and thus showing its relation with true pitch.
Tuners which are attached with a microphone can easily detect the sound of the strings played and helps you to easily tune your guitars.
At any point in time, it is necessary that you should have a Capo along with you which makes you play specific songs easier. Some of the songs which are played on the guitar have chords which are difficult to be played and practiced. A capo is basically a clamp which is placed on the fret of the guitar which allows you to play songs higher up the neck. When you are getting started, it is important that you start placing your fingers in the right place, but, this cannot happen all of a sudden. Chords which are difficult to be played are made easy with the help of a Capo. When you place pain on your fingers while playing an open chord, the capo removes that pain by making it easier for your fingers.
The Capos come in different variants based on their design such as:
Cloth & Toggle
have a toggle which is made up of wood, hard rubber or metal which lies against the fretboard. A strap of Nylon cloth wraps around the back of the neck.
Spring Loaded Capos
are one of the most popular ones which are used nowadays. The clamps are spring-loaded which needs to be pressed in order to fix it against the fretboard. You have the freedom to clamp it either on the top or at the bottom.
have removed the spring between the clamps and instead of it fixed a thumbscrew which can be adjusted as you rotate it. This will avoid unwanted fret buzz.
Roller & Glider Capo
is one of the newer variants which is available in the market which has a toggle across the fretboard with a string on the top and at the bottom it has a cylinder which rests on the back of the neck.
Over the use of the guitars for a long time, the strings get rusted and obviously, it does not sound good. Buying a bad quality string is not a sensible thing as it gets worn off easily after using it for a few months or else it gets rusted. It is suggested that you change your guitar strings after using it for a year or so, else you would find them getting noisy.
A classical guitar has three bronze wounded strings and 3 strings made up of Nylon which are higher pitched.
Size of the instrument
If you are playing a small-sized guitar, then it would sound better with the lighter gauge strings. While, if you are playing a Jumbo guitar, go for the medium or heavy gauge strings to produce a perfect sound.
The heavy and medium gauge strings tend to emphasize more on the lower end of the guitar’s tonal spectrum. The lighter ones are more trebly and sweet.
If you are a heavy strummer then you should always go for a heavier gauge string, and the lighter ones are easier on the fingertips for pickers.
If you have an old guitar with you, be careful while fitting a heavier string as it produces more tension on the neck.
The string tone and longevity of the string are affected by the material with which it is made. Bronze Strings produce a clear and bright ringing tone mainly because of the material’s ability to oxidize. Phosphor Bronze strings are bronze strings with Phosphor added to it due to which the longevity of the string increases. Brass Strings sounds metallic. Silk and Steel Strings are capable of producing mellows and sweet sound. They are less durable than the other but easier to play.
A Slide or Bottleneck is an accessory which is worn on the fingers and made up of materials such as glass or ceramic. This accessory gives a sliding motion to the strings of the guitar. By wearing these slides on your fingers and pressing it against the string so, you are altering the pitch of the strings. Without lifting the slide, it can continuously create alterations in pitch.
The mass of the slides is a very important thing while buying it. If you have an Electric Guitar, it is recommended that you go for a lighter slide because the amplifiers are doing much of the heavy lifting. If you own an Acoustic Guitar, you must go for a heavy one because thicker slides will isolate the damping effect of your fingers from the string, thus producing a better sound.
Heavy-walled glass, porcelain, and brass slides are one of the best-recommended options for the users as it produces enough to sustain and volume to give a good sound to work with.
The tone and control of the string noise will greatly depend upon the hardness of the material with which the slides are made of.
It is the most bought accessory along with the guitar because of the fact that they are lost easily! There are different materials with which picks are made up of, and traditional picks were made up of plastic and metals. The shape and size of the picks really matter, apart from the strength and material with which it is made makes it an important factor while buying it.
How hard the pick should be, depends upon the thickness of your strings, if you have hard strings, you should go for a thicker pick. The shape of the pick is determined by the type of playing you do on your guitar. If you are a Lead player, you should have a blunter and larger pick, while those Rhythm guitarists should go for pointed picks.
The material with which your Guitar pick is made determines the type of tone you get while using it. Nylon picks are smooth in surface and suitable for strumming styles. Matt Celluloid picks have a structured surface that adds the grip of it, and it also produces a warm sound. Embossed Picks have a slightly raised area that adds the grip to the pick. Stubby Picks are rigid material that is suitable for playing single note lead styles.
Picks also come in varying thickness. Each of them is suitable for their own styles. The Light Gauge Picks are quite bendy and suitable for strumming style. The sound produces by them is nice and bright. It is recommendable for beginners as it offers less resistance. Medium Gauge Picks are suitable for solo playing or single note to produce a beefier strumming tone. Heavy Gauge Picks are not at all suitable for strumming styles. They can be best used for rock rhythm playing, soloing styles and bass playing.
With a lot of variety of picks available, it offers picks of different shapes and size. It is totally dependent on the users on which shape/size to choose. If you are using it for strumming styles, it is recommended that you go for the normal sized pick. If you want to play the lead note, the picks should be pointed at the end.
If the color of the pick which you choose matches the color of your guitar, it would look good.
6. Guitar Strap
While playing the guitar, it is very important that you feel as comfortable as possible. There are many possible things that make you comfortable while playing it, from picks to strings. Apart from that, guitar straps also play an important role in making you comfortable. The adjustable strap that you buy allows you to easily buckle up the guitar to your own comfortable height. It is obvious that there are pain related issues that come up when you play it for a longer time, so it is very important that whenever you buy a strap, it should suit you, be adjustable and help you increase or decrease the length.
The material with which the strap is made should not cause pain to your shoulders.
The length of the strap could be adjustable easily. Each user would be having their own comfort and height in which they would feel comfortable. The length must be easily increased or decreased.
A pad on the shoulder would allow users to play it comfortably without causing much pain.
Always go for a thicker strap. Thinner straps are difficult to be used as it can cause more pain on your shoulders.
There are a variety of color combinations of straps. Choose a strap which matches the colour of your guitar as well.
7. Guitar Stands
You must be able to easily place your guitar when they are not in use. If you recklessly place your instrument on the table or somewhere else, there is always a risk of the body getting damaged. If you are not careful in placing your instruments, the stress created on the strings can also cause it to break. So it is recommended that you place your guitar on a proper stand only.
You may find these stands unstable to place your guitars, but the fact is that they are the most stable stands available for placing your guitar. If they are fully collapsed, they are small enough to be packed and carried along with you anywhere you go.
They are the most popular ones which you could see presently. As compared to the A-frame stands, it has an additional hold for the neck as well as providing better stability. They are less portable and can be folded as well.
These are confined to an individual room. It is not feasible that you would carry it wherever you want to go as they must be fixed to the wall. It will decrease the amount of floor space which is consumed.
8. Clean and Care
In addition to the maintenance kit, you need to have cleaning products which help you to clean the fretboards. Over time, the fretboard develops grime and gunk around the frets which need to be removed. While changing your strings, it is a good habit to clean up your fretboards as well. Cleaning your string is also necessary to prevent them from degrading. While playing the guitar, the oil from your fingers would corrode the string which will degrade the voice quality. It only takes a few minutes to wipe your strings; in return, it can make a big difference to the tone.
The cleaning oil must protect the shine of the guitar and make it glossy it looks. The strings must get rusted if exposed to open air for a long time. The clean & care product must be able to remove that too.
Top 10 Guitar Accessories
1. Juarez JRZ250 Trigger Guitar – Strong and Sturdy
Chords which are difficult to be played are made easy with the help of a Capo. When you place pain on your fingers while playing an open chord, the capo removes that pain by making it easier for your fingers. Juarez JRZ250 One Handed Trigger Guitar Metal Capo Quick Change For Ukulele, Electric And Acoustic Guitars, Black is one such product which helps you to improve your guitar playing sessions. Due to its lightweight quality, you can easily carry them wherever you want to.
- The product is made up of zinc alloy which makes it lightweight and easily able to carry them wherever you want to.
- They are tight on the string without producing more fret buzz which increases the performance of this product.
- The guitar capo is versatile as it can be used along with Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Ukulele, Banjo, Bass, Folk Guitars and Mandolin.
- The clamps are well-designed as it is super fast to change between the frets quickly and easily without disturbing the tuning of the guitar. This feature makes the product user-friendly.
- In order to protect against the damage to the frets, it comes along with a Silicone pad which rests easily and safely on the frets.
- The strings inside the clamps put just pressure on the instrument.
- They are a strong and sturdy product.
- The springs become loose.
2. Music Nomad MN124 Polishing Kit – No Damage on Fretboards of pressure
To extend the lifetime of your instruments, it is very important that you take care of them properly. If you are using a guitar, the fret gets dirty and greasy, accumulation of grime and gunk on the fretboards, all these things are common. Music Nomad MN124 FRINE Fret Polishing Kit finds a solution to those problems by cleaning all your fretboards easily.
- The revolutionary product is petroleum-free and can easily clean up your fretboards without a lot of efforts.
- It comes along with 3 GRIP Fretboard guards which can clean your small, medium and jumbo-sized frets.
- A microfiber suede cloth that comes along with this kit can be easily washed by machine, and it is specially designed to work with Frine Fret polish.
- With a little effort, you can get all your frets free from grease and grime easily.
- The advantage of having a fretboard guard is that even if you apply more pressure on the fretboards while cleaning, it would not damage it.
- After applying this polish, you would definitely see the frets shining.
- The guards don’t fit properly though.
3. Mustang Electric Guitar Connector Cable – Produces Clean and Crisp Sound
When you are performing for a larger crowd, one of the most important drawbacks that is created is that the amount of volume produced by an acoustic guitar may not be able for everyone to hear. For that, you need to have an amplifier with you. Mustang Clip-on Acoustic-Electric Guitar Pickup Audio Transducer Amplifier 12 Hole 1/4? Connector Cable is one such product which can be carried anywhere you like and also produce a high volume for everyone to hear.
- The amplifier connector cable is suitable with guitar length of 38 inch – 41inch.
- With a long cable, you can easily move around while performing.
- The product produces a clean and crisp sound for all the amateur ears to hear.
- No batteries are required for its working.
- If you are already having a semi-acoustic guitar, it can produce double sound output.
- If you want to use it professionally, it is not recommendable then.
4. PENNYCREEK Guitar Wall Mount – Great for Electric and Acoustic Guitars
If we place the guitars recklessly anywhere, it can cause damage to your guitars. Often we find that strings get broken due to the strain created on it while gets banged on something. In order to prevent these cases, it is recommendable that you should place your guitar on a proper stand. PENNYCREEK Guitar Wall Mount is one such product which allows you to place the guitar on your wall in a fixed manner. Let us look at the features of the product.
- It is a wall-mounted stand which allows you to easily hang your guitars on the wall.
- It is a great product for electric and acoustic guitars.
- It is a tough and sturdy stand that would prevent your guitar from falling and causing damage.
- The holes on the mounts are well aligned which perfectly fits on the wall.
- It prevents your guitar from any physical damage.
- No such cons mentioned.
5. Magideal Adjustable Guitar Strap – Comfortable
While you are in a performance, it is not possible for you to manage both playing the guitar and holding it for so long. You need something so that you can easily hang your guitar with. A guitar strap allows you to comfortably hold it on your shoulders without causing much pain. Magideal Adjustable Guitar Strap with PU Leather Ends – #3, an adjustable guitar strap that allows you to hold your instrument in the right place along with playing it. It is one of the guitar accessories that is a must-have when you buy a guitar. Let us look at the features of this product.
- The product is made up of cotton and PU Leather which makes it more comfortable to be hanged on your shoulder without causing any stress over that part.
- For easy installation, the strap comes along with a buckle that allows you to fit it play.
- It comes in a vibrant color that adds look to your guitar as well.
- It is one of the best product that helps you during your practice and performance as well.
- With a lot of comforts, it does not cause you much pain on your shoulders while hanging it.
- Due to its material, it lasts longer and is very durable.
- These straps have adjustable belts which allow you to increase/decrease the length according to your own wish.
- Due to its silky texture, it slips too easily.
6. Planet Waves Guitar Tuner – Handy and Sleek
This is considered to be one of the most important accessories that one must have if he wishes to buy the guitar. Off-tuned strings always cause a disturbance to your ears and it would not at all sound good while playing it. Most of the beginners do not have knowledge about this product. As you learn guitar, your ears try to distinguish between what sounds good and what sounds bad. Planet Waves PW-CT-17YL Guitar Tuner (Yellow) is a product which serves the purpose of tuning your guitar easily without much efforts to be taken. Let us look at the features of this product.
- With a digital display of the tuning operation, you can easily figure out whether your guitar is properly tuned or not.
- The Tuner calibration from 430 to 450Hz.
- The display can be twisted and turned in a limitless angle which makes it quite user-friendly.
- In no time, you can easily tune your guitar accurately.
- The product is handy and sleek which allows it to be carried anywhere you want.
- It is certainly a good buy because it picks up the low frequency of bass guitars even in a noisy environment.
- The readout is not very bright, and it is hard to figure out the correct reading.
7. Kadence Acoustic Guitar – High Durability
It often happens that when you are playing your guitar, the strings get broken and you feel annoyed with it. Kadence Acoustic Guitar Single 1st E String STRA-1ST Pack of 3 is a product which provides a set of individual E strings which helps you to get the broken strings replaced. Most single strings that are available in the market get broken easily and cannot be trusted to be bought. These strings serve their purpose and provide the best quality.
- The string has high durability and produces a good high-pitched sound.
- They do not get broken easily when you use it like the other poor quality strings.
- The pack of 3 strings serves your purpose.
- It produces good sound.
- The string resonance is low.
8. Blue Panther Thin Guitar Picks – Best for Strumming
In order to produce better sound quality from the string, it is advisable that you should use a guitar pick for playing it. Blue Panther 0.46 mm Thin Guitar Picks comes in a set of 5 guitar pick that will help you to play the guitar. Using this pick will also reduce the pain which is caused by continuous strumming of the strings. If we compare both sounds which are played using a pick and without, we would get to know the difference. Let us look at all the features of the product.
- The set of 5 picks is made up of Celluloid material. Celluloid picks have a structured surface that adds the grip of it, and it also produces a warm sound.
- The thickness of each pick is 0.46 mm & Size: 3 x 2.6 cm (height x width) approx.
- The product is best for those instrumentalists who are more into strumming and rhythmic playing.
- It comes in a variety of color that adds look to the product.
- The comfortable grippings allow you to hold them easily.
- No such cons mentioned.
9. Fender Ounce Custom Shop Guitar Cleaner – Great Quality
In addition to all your guitar accessories, it is important that you should have a product that will help you remove dirt and grime around the frets which makes way for a bad sound quality while played. You cannot simply was it with a wet cloth, along with it you need to have a guitar cleaner. Fender 2 Ounce Custom Shop Guitar Cleaner is a product which helps you easily remove the grime and dirt stuck around the fretboard.
- The guitar cleaner helps you to remove dirt and grime around the fretboards and on the strings.
- It provides a shiny glossy look after applying it.
- By removing the grease and dirt, you are in a way extending the lifetime of the product. To fulfil this purpose, you need to have a product like this.
- The quality of the product is really good. It fully serves the purpose.
- No such cons mentioned.
10. WINOMO Guitar Repair and Accessories Kit– Useful Kit for Musicians
When you are buying a guitar, it is certain that there might be some repair and replacement to be taken place in case of string replacement, etc. At that point in time, it is not worthwhile that you use your existing tools which you usually use for repairs for guitars too. You need to have a separate toolset which is made especially for repairing your guitars. WINOMO Guitar Repair and Maintenance Accessories Kit String Organizer Guitar Winder String Cutter Gauge Repair Tool Set for Guitar Ukulele Bass is such a type of product which would help you when you want to get your strings replaced or cut.
- The product is designed to perform activities such as change strings, set intonation, adjust action, check string height and so on.
- The product is a 3-in-1 guitar winder/ string cutter/ pin puller to match your different requirements. You can easily cut away the extra strings effortlessly.
- It is not only designed for guitars but also Bass/ Mandolin/ Banjo/ Ukulele, etc.
- A very useful kit for musicians. The toolset which comes inside a bag allows you to carry those tools wherever you go.
- It comes along with three different hexagon wrenches in sizes 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, fit for most guitars.
- The product also comes along with a string action ruler which helps in the tasks such as string height, bridge saddle height, saddle slot depth, pickup polepiece height, fret slot depth and nut height.
- No such cons mentioned.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the normal weather conditions to keep your Guitar in?
You should not place your guitar and their accessories in either too hot conditions or too cold conditions. If it is too cold weather, it can cause the wood to crack and the joints to be separated. If that happens, leave your getter inside the case for at least 20 minutes before opening it. Even placing your guitar in too hot weather such as the trunk of your car, it can also cause the wood to crack and joints to be opened.
2. Is it advisable to replace a nylon-string with a steel string?
Guitars are specially designed for specific strings. It is not advisable to replace those nylon-strings with your steel strings. It can cause a bad impact on your guitar.
It is very important that you need to have some accessories along with you when you wish to buy a guitar. Each of them have their own uses and advantages of having it. Looking at the features and specification of each product, we would suggest that the best choice among all these products would be Juarez JRZ250 One Handed Trigger Guitar Metal Capo Quick Change For Ukulele, Electric And Acoustic Guitars, Black. Due to its lightweight quality, it can be carried along with you wherever you go. The Silicone pad prevents the Capo to cause any damage to the fretboards. They are well-designed to be changed between the frets quickly and fast. Talking about the budget, they are not so costly.
Another product that we would suggest would be a clean & care product for your guitars. Music Nomad MN124 FRINE Fret Polishing Kit is a revolutionary non-petroleum product which will allows you to easily clean up your frets. The advantage of having fretboard guard is that even if you apply too much pressure, it would not damage your fretboards. The price is also not so high.