Best Foldable Cycles
The immersive joy of adventurous bicycle rides into the scenic countryside landscapes is unparalleled. It gives you a rare opportunity to explore the unknown exotic locales while enjoying the exceptional natural beauty.
The immense portability of a foldable cycle can take you places you wouldn’t think of going otherwise. It can be easily packed and carried with your luggage on your car’s roof while going on vacation or any outdoor trip.
While zipping away on a smooth highway, you miss the pleasures of feeling refreshing air in your hair and arms experienced during bicycle-rides. A foldable cycle allows you to enjoy bike rides almost anywhere including mountainous terrains or rough countryside roads.
If you can’t wrap your head around this, read along because we will not only introduce you to folding bikes, we will also take you through their history, the different types available, the benefits, how to choose the best cycles, and top it off with some of the best picks in the market and frequently asked questions.
Top 6 Foldable Cycles in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Great performance & robust
Best Choice for riding on terrains
Stable & Reliable
What Is A Foldable Cycle?
Foldable cycles also referred to as folders are simply any bikes that are designed to ruck down to a smaller and compact form.
The key definitive characteristic here is the folding mechanism, which makes it possible to collapse it freely and bring it back to ordinary form when the need arises.
The rationale behind the clever design is to make it easier to carry, store, or fit in tight spaces where a normal-size cycle cannot make it.
In most cases when folded you will have the wheels set side by side while the seat post and handles may be telescopic hence retractable. In as little as 30 seconds, you can fold and unfold the bike without much ado.
Even so, the collapsing styles do vary depending on the model or brand or use type. It means a folder can be a road, mountain, commuter, or cruiser bike. Of course, while the folds may vary the original characteristic and the riding experience generally remains the same.
You can take portable cycles on trips and enjoy cycling anywhere. One thing that is important while cycling is safety so make sure you have a helmet and cycling gloves with you.
Also, if you are someone that enjoys cycling but cannot go cycling due to a hectic work schedule, then you can try spinning cycling. Spinning is done indoors and is very useful in health; the only things are that it requires special cycling shoes to be worn.
What are the benefits of foldable cycles?
Regardless of your reasons for acquiring this type of bike, the advantages stand. Whether you are looking for a convenient way to get around or you just want to complement other means of transport, a foldable bike remains suitable.
Similarly, if space is an issue, the design comes in handy. Now, let sample some obvious benefits:
Foldable cycles are known for their relatively lightweight nature. Coupled with their diminished dimensions when tucked together, it makes them easier to carry around.
Even when traveling by public, you can have them along considering they will fit typical luggage compartments. A folder can easily fit in a car trunk or interior. So whether you have to carry it yourself or via other means, portability is no problem.
Unlike full-sized versions that take more room to keep courtesy of their shape, folders typically require no more than the diameter of a single wheel.
Whether you are tight on space at home or you want to bring it for a trip, the compact size frees you from the pressure of hassling for more room, which at times come at a cost.
Thanks to their collapsible nature, you don’t have to leave outside, which can expose you to theft. Since you can fold and unfold in a few seconds, you can always do so when getting into buildings. No need for heavy chains and locks.
Most collapsible bikes are designed to be more resilient. Their compact nature, when folded further, contributes to an extended lifespan in use. It follows that- the need for maintenance will be very minimal.
While it is easy to dismiss folders when it comes to exceptional performance due to their stature, it shouldn’t be surprising that the functionality is no different from traditional alternatives.
Depending on the model, you can realize top speeds and smooth rides in line with typical expectations.
Foldable cycles have increased the possibilities of what you can do. Thanks to their portability and need for less space, you can use the same bike for commuting and for adventures.
Types of Foldable Cycles
Pedal driven folding cycles
Pedal driven foldable cycles mirror their traditional counterparts with the only significant difference being the foldability. And as the name suggests, they are powered by pedals.
They are very common and are considered less sophisticated in terms of operational techniques. Nonetheless, manufacturers are increasingly refining their features so it should be unsurprising to find high-tech versions.
Electric folding bikes
In a bid to offer cycling aficionados efficient bikes that take almost no effort to ride, manufacturers have in recent years come up with electric folding cycles. Also referred to as e-bikes, they run on motor power and are fitted with rechargeable batteries.
Unlike their pedal-driven counterparts, in this case, you only switch the engine, and you are set. It means e-bikes will spare you the demanding task of pedaling.
Foldable Cycles Buying Guide
Whether you are looking for a collapsible bike for your leisure ride needs, urban commuting, or for any other reason, identifying the best pick can be tough. In any case, there are several factors that you need to consider carefully before you narrow down to what matches your requirements.
To help you sieve the most suitable model from the dozens of options available in the market, here are some key features you should look out for when shopping:-
As the primary distinguishing feature, the nature of the fold determines the functionality and user-friendliness. Considering that there are several varying folding mechanisms, the experience offered by each style will equally be different
Some will fold down easily and quickly to a small compact size that is trouble-free to manage while others may require a little skill and tools to fold and unfold. Here are the most common folding styles;
The half-fold is the most common style you are likely to come across. It features a single or double hinge point with reinforced quick-release clamps that allow the cycle to tuck and untuck midway.
Mid folding bikes also do utilize telescopic seat post and handlebars with the steering column fitted with a swing hinge.
This mechanism utilizes the same idea as the mid style, only that the fold takes vertical stature instead of horizontal. The hinge point is set on the main tube and/or chain from where the cycle is collapsed, but the seat remains in position.
The vertical fold should be preferred if you are looking for a very compact fold.
The triangle hinge is designed to allow the back wheel and triangle to be tucked down and twisted forward below the tube of the frame. In some models, this is used alongside a folding front fork with both flip and swing hinges fitted on the frame.
This style has a magnet linked with a rear shock absorber to form the fold. The magnet joins and hooks into place the back wheel section to the frame.
When folding, the magnet disconnects allowing the rider to bend the unit halfway and vertically making the back wheel rotate forward. The one advantage of this is that it will enable you to roll the bike when folded via the rear wheel.
Breakaway folding cycles come in different variations. Some feature a diamond frame with the hinge fitted at the seatpost from where the unit can be disassembled. Others will fold and disassociate altogether.
This mechanism takes a little longer to engage and disengage, making it suitable only if you don’t have to unfold it regularly.
Overall, in your quest to get the best bargain, checking the folding speed of the mechanisms versus your needs remains vital. How fast and smooth it is to activate the hinges should be a top priority.
The need to save on space during storage or transportation is probably why many people opt for folders. As such, the dimensions of the whole unit when tucked should be a key decision influencing factor.
For instance, if you intend to bring the cycle as a carry-on of a trip abroad, you may have to ensure the folded size matches standard cabin entry requirements.
The same applies to public transport such as trains and buses. Usually, the wheel diameter is the critical determinant of the overall size.
The typical wheel diameters in foldable cycles range from between 14 and 26 inches. The smaller wheels are mostly light and compact when folded but are limited when it comes to gaining momentum. On the contrary, large-wheeled folders will offer better speeds but are likely to be bulky and have more weight
Moreover, smaller wheels are known to be a little harder to maneuver, especially on rough terrain but may offer more aesthetic value. In the same vein, larger wheels are more likely to take the beating off the road and over a long distance but could be trickier when it gets to portability. Given how, where, and when you plan to ride the bike, you can either wheel size for the other.
Foldable cycles come fitted with different handlebar styles, each suited for various riding conditions. For instance, while a given handlebar design may offer better steering control; some are more reliable when it gets to supporting multi-grip positions.
The same way others come with flexible positions that provide increased comfort by reducing hand and arm fatigue. Comparing the different types of handlebars with your riding needs is the best way to pick out the perfect match.
Weight and stability
If at some point you may have to carry the bike from one point to another, going for a lightweight model is advisable. At this point, the type of material used to build the frame comes to the fore. Whatever it is, just ensure the overall weight is manageable, whether going upstairs or hoisting the cycle of the train or bus.
But even then do not trade stability for less weight because a lightweight bike that isn’t sturdy enough can be wobbly and difficult to steer. A value pick should be able to bear your weight without giving in to the pressure.
In reality, most folded bicycles are made to be ‘one size fits all.’ But it’s comforting to know that some of the key elements can be adjusted to accommodate different riders.
If you intend to share the bike with friends or family, it follows that there will need to alter the seat post and steering frame heights occasionally.
Purchasing a version with quick-release levers for seamless adjustability could help easy swapping of users. Besides finding the right fit for every rider increases comfort, especially for long-distance riding.
Most folders have frames made of a material such as aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, and steel. The nature of the material used determines the overall weight and resilience of the bike. It means the quality of the frame material significantly determines the performance and suitability of the cycle to particular riding conditions.
For instance, going for a carbon fiber frame will mean you get something lightweight. However, such a model could be prone to damage than others that are made of steel.
An efficient brake system for a smooth stoppage in emergencies is necessary. Other components such as a secure lock mechanism, chain, and mudguards to shield the rider from dirt, integral lighting system for night rides, luggage carrier, and latches to secure the bike when folded would be great add-ons.
While are these may not be of primary importance, anything a little extra serves an excellent course. Think of accessories meant to ensure the bike is protected during transportation.
Additional components such as a tripod to help in standing, protectors to prevent scratches, covers, rubber stoppers can be quite handy.
The number of gears in any given folder is no doubt crucial. Gears determine speed levels that can be achieved on different terrains and surfaces. Ideally, the preference of either one or multiple gears it depends on where you will be riding most of the time.
For instance, one gear delivers a single speed that is better for smooth flat streets. Multiple gears best serve hilly and rough areas on the other hand. Usually, most foldable cycles will feature either internal hub gears which are entirely sealed or derailleur system.
Internal gears are especially ideal for starters considering the lack of chain tensions to worry about. Again, they are also easy to maintain the hence limited risk of damage.
It wouldn’t make any sense to buy a folder with some of the best features but doesn’t suit your needs. As a rule of the thumb, every component and decision point should be consistent with how you plan to use the cycle.
If you require a model suited for off-road exploits that cross your mind when comparing different models, the same should apply for a foldable cycle tailored to suit commuting or urban leisure rides.
Although the price should never come in your way in your quest to find the best, it helps to have a budget nonetheless. Currently, there are dozens of options from affordable to mid-range, and high end picks. These days you can easily avail folding bicycle at low prices.
Though not always, spending more will can mean better quality. At the same time, there are great picks available at very pocket-friendly rates. Above all, whatever you settle for be sure its value for money.
1. Swagtron Swagcycle EB-7 Elite Folding Electric Bike – Our Pick
The Swagcycle EB-7 Elite by SWAGTRON redefines usual cycling with the combination of traditional pedal and electric power for better driving possibilities.
As the name suggests, it manifests real swag allowing the rider to enjoy a distinct sturdiness, reliability, and efficiency of a new foldable cycle.
It is durable, lightweight, and portable with an efficient folding mechanism enabling you to fold it down and set it up as the need arises. Also, it has a sleek design making it a good pick for the casual cyclist, leisure cruisers, and commuters.
- Comes with an innovative combination traditional pedals and electric power with three riding modes namely throttle-only, pedal-only, and power-assisted pedal-to-go for added functionality.
- Features a removable 36V Li-ion battery fully rechargeable in 3-4 hours with a single charge offering power that can cover up to 15.5 miles.
- Has key-secured compartment to protect the battery.
- Has a 350W motor that can deliver top throttle-only speed of 18.6mph allowing extended coverage in less time.
- Features rugged 16-inch wheels and rear suspension to allow smooth rides over all terrains.
- It has dual-disc brakes, coil shock absorbers, and a specially designed Autoguard braking mechanism to deliver reliable stopping power when it matters.
- The cycle comes with a steady foldable aluminum frame that can support up to 120kgs.
- Features an LCD with cool white backlight that shows speed, time, power mode, and battery level to help the rider keep track of their cycling statistics.
- For safety, it has bright LED lights in the rear and front to keep it visible in fewer lit areas.
- Pedal and electric power options allow quick more extended coverage.
- Portable and fits small spaces once folded.
- Easy to carry around when traveling.
- Boasts of a powerful motor with reliable and flexible riding modes.
- Has quality tires for stable riding and better traction.
- The battery is swappable so you can always have a spare for non-stop riding.
- Great acceleration potential.
- The braking system is very efficient.
- The seat and steering column are well positioned making it quite comfortable.
- The package does not include the battery, so you have to get it separately.
2. GOGO A1 Light Weight Compact Foldable Bicycle – Unmatched durability
If you are looking forward to owning a sleek, compact foldable cycle that serves everyone in the family, this creation by GOGO A1 could be a good pick.
It boasts of subtle convenient features to allow young, and adult cycling enthusiasts to cycle their way without the slightest hindrance. Its durable Aluminum construction with the glossy finish makes it a worthy bargain.
- Rides on 16-inch wheels with dimensions after folding at 36 x 70 x 55 cm (L x W x H) allowing convenient storage.
- Features durable Aluminum frame for sustained extended use.
- Comes with high-quality Aluminum brake arms to allow efficient execution of stops.
- Has collapsible pedals to save on space.
- Features a chain wheel with double side protection to minimize the possibility of damage.
- Boasts of the quick release and highly adjustable saddle to allow prompt achievement of fit.
- 7-speed gear rating for flexible riding.
- Reliable and quality pick.
- Great appeal for the stylish rider.
- Stable with durable construction for long-lasting performance.
- Easily collapsible.
- Reliable brake system.
- Highly adjustable making suitable for the rider of different heights.
- Comfortable saddle.
- Lacks mudguards.
3. Swagtron EB-8 Fat Tyre Foldable – Great performance & robust
Another exceptional creation by SWAGTRON, the EB-8 is a clear example of the brand’s eye for innovating mobility devices. Notably, this model combines power, strength, and style expected of a high-end model it is.
Considering it is primarily designed for off-road use, it spares nothing to make every ride is smooth and comfortable no matter where you go. Perhaps its greatest selling point is the excellent combination of pedal and electric power, which saves energy when it matters.
And even though it has fat tyres, it is interesting to know that it’s easily collapsible and portable.
In no time you can fold it horizontally from the middle. By simply turning a safety lock then releasing the latch, you can effortlessly ruck it down as the situation demands.
- Functions on a 7-gear Shimano system enabling seamless shifting making it suitable for all manner of terrains.
- Has manual pedaling and electrical motor powering combinations for complementarity.
- Has 20-inch fat, high volume off-road wheels to guarantee optimal traction and enhanced performance.
- Features a 6061 series Aluminium frame for extended lifespan.
- Has dual disk brakes to allow rapid stoppage.
- The pedals and handlebar are easily foldable provided an added avenue for saving space.
- Features dual suspension to make rides comfortable on any terrain.
- Boasts of a built-in lock system that adds an extra layer of security.
- Dimensions: 40 by 16.5 by 31.5 inches (L x W x H).
- Weighs about 25.4 kilograms.
- The freehub design enables relaxed pedaling.
- Suitable for all manner of terrains.
- Comes with very reliable batteries.
- Has safety latches.
- The battery is removable providing flexible charging options.
- Easy to ride with smooth acceleration.
- The seat could have been more comfortable.
4. R Cycle Foldable Adventure Sports MTB Cycle– Best Choice for riding on terrains
The R Cycle Foldable Adventure is another good bargain for anyone looking for a compact and versatile cycle. Coming with a solid collapsible frame and a host of other functional features, it does not take much time to notice the sheer attention put on the overall design.
But the real kicker is undoubtedly the price. Given how well the manufacturer has been able to blend different features and components, the asking price is for sure value for money.
- 21 Shimano gears makes it ready for all manner of terrains.
- Runs on reliable 26-inch magnesium tyres guaranteeing seamless adaptability on surfaces.
- The foldable frame is built of high carbon-steel material to ensure durability.
- Has front and rear disc brakes for rapid and responsive stopping.
- Its Mac wheel rims are shock absorbent providing for greater resilience.
- Has mudguards to prevent splashes from reaching the rider.
- Has hydraulic suspension adding an edge of functionality.
- Dimensions: 54 x 9 x 20 inches (L x W x H).
- Weighs about 18 kilograms.
- Quite affordable.
- The incredible quality of components.
- Comes with a bottle holder allowing the rider to carry drinking water for long rides.
- Highly adjustable.
- Easy to fold, store, and set up.
- Lacks speed monitor.
- No bottle holders.
5. MDS UNLIMITED CYCLES Rhino Flyer
Rhino Flyer cycle by MDS unlimited is an advanced 21 gear foldable cycle for the kids. It is a pedal-driven cycle that can be used for various purposes including bicycle commuting, utility cycling, and transportation.
It is an ideal bicycle for developing the interest of kids towards fitness and Bicycling sport. It looks very stylish and comes with dual suspension, double disc brake, and a 21-speed gear system. It can be easily folded and carried anywhere in your car.
- It is suitable for kids in the age group of 5-9 years with a height ranging from 3.3 feet to 4.5 feet.
- It is a highly durable bicycle that comes with 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty.
- This cycle package includes 1 bicycle frame, 1 bell, 1 pair of the mudguard, and 1 assembly tool kit.
- It comes with front and rear disc brakes that provide enhanced control during adventurous rides.
- It features 20*2.4 inch MDS sturdy MTB tyres that provide excellent grip on the road.
- It has a stylish sporty adjustable seat that offers quick release.
- It comes with trendy alloy spokes and rims, alloy brakes, and alloy pedals.
- It features an alloy handlebar with rubber grips that provide comfortable rides.
- It highlights matt finishing with appealing sky blue and green colors.
- It comes with a dual-suspension feature including front fork suspension and back cylindrical suspension.
- It comprises an impressive 21 gear system.
- It is a foldable cycle that can be easily folded for convenient storage. It can be easily transported with you anywhere you go.
- It features trendy handsome hunk looks with a special frame design that makes you feel like a king while riding.
- It is a sturdy bicycle that is manufactured using alloy components.
- It has disk brakes that require less maintenance.
- It features an adjustable seat post that allows you to adjust the seat height as per the height of kids.
- It comes with a dual-suspension mechanism that provides excellent shock absorbance capacity. This keeps your kid’s back in great health.
- You can easily change the combination of gears for acquiring your desired cycling speed by either increasing or decreasing the speed.
- It is a little bit heavier bike for smaller kids.
6. Gogo A1 Rockefeller Foldable Mountain Bike – Stable & Reliable
Another foldable cycle that has taken a solid place in the list is the Gogo A1 Rockfeller foldable mountain bike. This slim cycle offers the utmost convenience to the users when it comes to carrying on some mountain trips.
The high carbon steel material used for its frame makes it a sturdy choice for the adventurers.
Despite being so slim, you cannot underestimate the extreme capability of the shock absorption system. The hydraulic system integrated into this cycle ensures riders enjoy the ride even in the roughest terrain.
- Steel framework reduce the weight and maintain reliability.
- Magnesium wheels ensure low weight yet having the ability to absorb impact.
- Integrated with a disc brake for a better stopping system.
- Hydraulic suspension of the bicycle provides greater stability and adaptability.
- Can be easily folded and stored.
- 21-speed gear becomes an advantage for the riders.
- A great choice for the mountaineers.
- Great mag wheels present in the cycle.
- Apt for riding on the hilly areas.
- Very compact and the wheels can be detached.
- Folds very easily and can fit in a small car.
- Great for daily rides.
- Price is slightly high.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are folding cycles slower than regular ones?
As far as speed is concerned full-sized bikes perform better owing to their larger wheels. However, some folders equally perform very well when it comes to achieving top speeds.
If you are looking for a model that can deliver better acceleration, a folder with larger wheels and multiple gears is likely to suit your needs.
2. Which is the best folding bike?
As already hinted, there are just so many folding bikes on the market offering varying features and quality of components. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the real deal for one may not have the same appeal to others.
Conducting thorough research beforehand is certainly necessary to filter down to the perfect cycle for your needs.
3. Which one is better- an electric or pedal-driven folding cycle?
This depends on individual preference. Pedal-driven models are practical and allow the rider the freedom to exercise full control of speed.
They are perfect if you want to exercise while enjoying the thrill of racing away. The only limitation is that you have to power it yourself, which could leave you sweaty and tired when covering long distances.
On the flip side, electrical folder requires no effort to propel. The main concern is that electrical-powered alternatives are limited by battery capacity.
4. How well can folding bikes cope with uphills/ rough terrain?
There are different varieties of collapsible cycles designed to suit different riding surfaces. In reality, not every option you will find in the market will perform well on every terrain.
Usually, models with multiple gears, sturdy overall build, and solid rubberized tires etc. will deliver great results when cycling off road and around hilly areas.
5. Are folding cycles suitable for long-distance rides?
Yes, but this will depend from one model to another. For instance, folders with larger wheels are likely to perform like just any typical bike over long rides than their small-wheeled counterparts.
Besides some bike are by design optimized to perform under given circumstances.
6. Can you take a folding bike on an airplane?
As long as the fold dimensions and weight tally with standard cabin entry requirements, you can. However, you should note that the measurement varies slightly between airlines so you should consider confirming the same in advance. Otherwise, the universal standard is about 50 by 40 by 23 centimeters.
A foldable cycle is designed to give you comfortable rides on almost any terrain. It features a lightweight and collapsible design that makes it easy to fold and carry anywhere. It saves space while parking it in your garage or keeping it in a corner of your room.
While venturing into the wild, you can’t take your car everywhere. That’s where a foldable cycle comes in handy. It allows you to pedal your way to stunning sights and breathtaking locations.
The health and environmental benefits of a foldable bicycle are immense. Moreover, it promises great fun and entertainment during your excursions.
Get yourself a foldable cycle and begin your journey on the path less traveled.
Given the long choice list, identifying what will best serve your needs can be confusing. With this guide, we hope you have a clearer picture now of what ticks the right boxes.
The Swagtron Swagcycle EB-7 Elite Folding Electric Bike, and GOGO A1 Lightweight Compact Foldable Bicycle are our top choices among the best budget folding bike.