7 Best Facial Moisturizers
The face is one of the most delicate parts of the human body. It is, therefore, necessary to moisturize the skin daily to keep it healthy and smooth. Using skin moisturizers is a vital skincare regime. But due to the nature of some people’s skin, improper management of this part of the body will expose you to infection and other skin malignancy.
With the different types of facial skin like oily, dry, sensitive and combination, one is expected to know their skin type before selecting the requisite face moisturizer. With the ideal face moisturizer, it reduces the signs of aging and protects the skin from future damage.
For individuals with sensitive skin, it is essential to look for a product that is mild to your skin from the myriad of products that floods the market. No matter the brand and the product one wish to select, the primary thing is that your skin is well moisturized with radiant skin.
In this article, we would be taking you through some of the steps of applying facial moisturizers and uses. You will also find the different types of skin and different moisturizers based on skin type. We have also provided you with the tips to consider before buying the moisturizer along with the list of 7 best moisturizers for face and a few FAQs
7 Best Facial Moisturizers
Know your skin type
Different skin types exist and will require a unique face moisturizer in other to keep it safe and healthy. Here are 5 of the underlying skin types you need to know
The oily skin type is the skin that causes an overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands. The skin is fully hydrated and gives off a shiny appearance. Oily skin pores are known to be enlarged and are prone to blemish, blackheads and acne
Dry skin means dehydrated skin. There are more sensitive to damage due to lack of moisture and being undernourished. The skin feels tight after washing. Dry skin can cause itching and bumps. It is extremely important for people with dry skin to moisturize their skin
Aging and sun-damaged skin
This type of skin has broken capillaries, thinner in nature, and tend to be leathery in texture. It quickly develops wrinkles and lines and prone to sagginess.
Sensitive skin type
The sensitive skin type is more delicate and thinner than other skin types. It is more prone to irritation as a result of contact with chemicals, scents, pollution, and exposure to the sun.
Steps of applying a face moisturizer
In applying a face moisturizer, the following steps should be followed
Use on a clean face
It is unhealthy to apply on a dirty or soiled face. Before applying a moisturizer, it is necessary to wash the face clean as this will help to remove the debris, oil, and sweat on the skin. With the use of a face wash and clean hands, you are sure of a dirt-free face.
Dry off the water
The next step after washing the face is to dry off the water droplets from the face using a clean face wipe or cloth. Using a moisturizer on wet skin will affect how fast the skin will absorb the moisturizer.
Start from your checks
To start the application of the moisturizer, begin from the cheeks before proceeding to the rest of the face. While applying the moisturizer on the check, it is important to use a circular motion and remember to be gentle while applying
Apply on the forehead
The forehead should be the next point of call once you are done with the checks. From there, one can now proceed to the chin, nose, neck, and then to the ears.
Apply in the morning and evening
It is perfect for applying the face moisturizer in the morning and before you go to bed. This helps to keep your skin refresh, healthy, and bright. It also helps to eliminate wrinkles on the face when applied at night before sleeping.
Apply in moderation
It is never a good idea to apply a face moisturizer in excess. A small amount of the product is sufficient to give your face the right lift. Using too much of it will leave the face greasy.
Types of facial moisturizers on the market
Different types of face moisturizer exist in the market. These include
These types of moisturizers are lighter when compared to cream counterparts. It is suitable for all skin types since it is usually non-greasy and non-comedogenic. Lotions help to keep the skin shining.
The cream moisturizers are thicker in texture when compared with the lotion type. These types of moisturizers are perfect for dehydrated skin types and during the winter period.
The SPF moisturizers include sunscreen types of moisturizers. It helps to protect the skin from harmful UV radiation that might be harmful to the skin. With this moisturizer, the skin is safe from wrinkles and brown spots that are caused as a result of exposure to sunlight.
These types of moisturizers are known to be very light in texture. It is non-greasy and nice to the skin. With the application of gels moisturizer, it eliminates water, alcohol, and liquid fat from the skin.
Ointment moisturizers come with a thick and high concentration of oil. The moisturizers are also sticky. It is recommended for dry skin due to its texture.
The anti-aging moisturizer helps to slow down aging and wrinkles on the face of the individuals applying the moisturizers. It is thoroughly blended with ingredients that help to fight free radicals. It comes with antioxidants and vitamins.
This type of moisturizer contains antioxidants that work to enhance the circulation of the blood. It contains caffeine that acts as an energy booster
Facial Moisturizer Buying Guide
In selecting the best moisturizer from the market or online, the following items should be considered
Like it is with other products, prices for face moisturizer varies. Some are cheaper, while others are quite expensive. People often assumed that expensive facial moisturizers are often the best, but that is not always the case.
It is, therefore, necessary to go for a product that the price is not above your budget. But if it is expensive and suitable for your skin and need, then be sure that nothing is too costly for your health.
This is one of the most important factors to consider when making a purchase. Check out for the following ingredients (Alpha Hydroxyl Acids, Antioxidants, and Retinol) if it is contained in the product.
Some reputed brand exists that are known to produce quality face moisturizers. But it is not just about the brand but the quality of the product.
There is different skin type that exists, and this requires a special type of moisturizer. Ascertain if your skin is sensitive, a dry skin, oily skin or a normal skin before making the purchase
The location climate can also affect the texture of the skin. It is important, therefore, to select a moisturizer that is suitable for your weather condition.
It is also important to protect the skin against harmful UV rays. Look out for a moisturizer that comes with SPF (Sun Protection Factor).
Top 7 Best Face Moisturizers in the Market
1. Neutrogena Moisture
This excellent skin moisturizer keeps your skin smooth and soft. It helps to give you a supple and healthy skin. It is designed in a dual-action formula that enables it to moisturize all dry areas on the face without leaving it sticky or greasy. The face moisturizer comes with some exceptional oils absorbing microsponge that reduces the excess oil on the t-zone.
It is also dermatologically tested to last for a long time. The moisturizer is non-comedogenic in nature, making it possible not to clog any pores on the skin. One other great thing about this product is that it is light and smooth. It makes it easy for the skin to absorb when applied at any time of the day.
- The product is alcohol and fragrance-free
- The Neutrogena oil-free moisturizers are tested clinically and proven
- The cream is allergy tested
- The product is suitable for both gender
- The face moisturizers are ideal for combination skin
- The moisturizer is light and a quick-absorbing lotion
- It helps to control shine in oily parts of the skin
- The product has some element of paraben and benzoate
2. Mamaearth Oil-Free Moisturizer
This is one of the best face moisturizers in the India market. It is reputed for its ability to give one shiny and healthy skin texture. It is blended with apple cider vinegar for the treatment of acne-prone skin. The Mamaearth helps in keeping the skin pH balanced, therefore reducing the breakout of acne.
One other important thing to note about this product is that it does not only reduce pimples and acne already existing on the face – but it also closes the pores and clean-off the oil present in the skin.
With the application of this moisturizer, it makes the skin elastic and smooth by retaining the natural moisture of the skin.
- The moisturizer cream is non-greasy or sticky in nature
- The cream is free from silicone, SLS, toxins, paraben and other toxic chemicals
- The face moisturizer helps to eliminate acne and pimples
- It helps to give a great hydration
- It quickly penetrates the open pores to remove the excess oil.
- It is blended with water-repellant properties that helps in hydrating the skin for a longer time.
3. Biotique Morning Nectar
The Biotique morning nectar leaves us with flawless and healthy skin. The lotion gets easily absorbed and can easily replace the natural oils and moisture that are lost from the skin. The moisturizer helps to quickly hydrate and nourish the skin in other to leave a pleasant feeling after applying.
It can be used in the morning before going out and in the evening when you are back. Just smoothen the lotion over your face and neck for a refreshing feeling. Note that this facial moisturizer can be wear alone or under makeup. It is suitable for both men and women of all ages.
- It gives a mesmerizing smell that leaves your skin captivating
- The moisturizer is light and quickly get absorbed
- It acts as a perfect makeup base
- The moisturizer leaves your skin free from impurities and soft
- It acts as an alternative for natural oil lost due to exposure in the environment
- It is only suitable for dry and combination skin type
4. Cetaphil Dam Lotion
Cetaphil is one of the brands of Nestlé Skin Health. This advance ultra-hydrating lotion offers its users with effective and gentle skincare that helps to protect and strengthen even the most sensitive skin around.
With the application of this unique face moisturizer, one is expected to get a glowing, healthy, and beautiful skin. The product comes in lotion form and suitable for dry and sensitive skin. It is ideal for both men and women and can be applied daily for dry skin.
The Cetaphil Dam is fragrance-free and Non-comedogenic and suitable for a full body moisturizer. It comes in a unique combination of five great ingredients that keeps your skin hydrated all day long.
Some of these ingredients include glycerine, water, macadamia integrifolia seed oil (macadamia nut oil), hydrogenated polyisobutene, sodium hydroxide, stearyl alcohol, citric acid, and Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter).
- The moisturizing lotion is fast-acting and long-lasting
- It gives protection for extremely dry skin
- The moisturizer is non-irritating and non-greasy
- It blends thoroughly with unique ingredients that act as a protectant for the skin.
- It helps to balance the skin pH
- The moisturizer is fragrance-free
- Dermatologist approved
- Not ideal for oily skin
5. Lakme Peach Milk SPF 24 PA Sunscreen Moisturizer
Lakme moisturizer is a blend of milk and wholesome peaches that helps to nourish the skin without leaving it greasy or oily. It is suitable for skins that are losing moisture and getting hydrated. It is fully packed with great ingredients by renowned dermatologists and experts from India.
Lakme is reputed to be one of the Indian best cosmetic brands that have perfected the act of producing skincare products that are suitable for the Indian skin. The Lakme peach milk moisturizer is fully packed with SPF 24 with a soothing fragrance that is captivating.
- The face moisturizer is ideal for the nourishment of one’s skin
- It helps to protect the skin from the sun
- It comes with a soothing fragrance
- It quickly absorbs into the skin to lock-up moisture
- Application of the Lakme lotion gives one a glowing skin
- The lotion does not feel sticky
- No such cons were observed
6. Himalaya Herbals Night Cream
With much exposure to sun and pollution, our face requires a great facial moisturizer to keep it safe and healthy. The Himalaya Herbals revitalizing night cream is a great product that helps to protect the skin from UV rays, dust, and chemicals from other body care products.
This moisturizer has a composition of herbal extracts uniquely designed to fix all skin issues such as skin irritation, rashes, and blemishes. It helps to renew all the lost luster from your skin.
The Himalaya herbals have been clinically tested to absorb nutrients from our skin pores while we sleep. It blended thoroughly with Wheat, Lemon, Tomato, White Lily, and crab Apple. These ingredients help to rejuvenate dull skin while making it look healthy.
- Some of the ingredients are rich in Vitamin C which acts as an antioxidant for the improvement of the skin texture and complexion
- The lotion helps to keep the skin crisp while reducing inflammation
- The Lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent due to its antiseptic properties; this helps to make the skin fairer
- The lotion helps to keep the elasticity of one’s skin
- It helps to renew the skin cell
- The cream provides one with three essential benefits that keep the skin rejuvenated, supple and soft
- No such cons were observed
7. Khadi Natural Herbal Face Gel Moisturizer
The Khadi natural herbal is a face gel moisturizer that contains turmeric extract, orange extract, and Aloe Vera extract. It is known to be light and non-greasy. It is suitable for sensitive skin, dry skin, and Acne-prone skin. Excellent for the overnight nourishment of the skin and fair glowing skin.
- The gel moisturizer helps to prevent wrinkles
- A full blend of herbal extracts
- The moisturizer is 100 percent organic with no Sulphate or parabens
- The gel helps to renew dry and dead skin
- An excellent emollient that penetrates deep into the skin
- Turmeric extract found in the product contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe and calm the skin
- The citric acid contained in the product helps to exfoliate and dry out acne on the face
- Not suitable for an individual with a dewy face
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can face moisturizer be mixed with other lotions and cream?
Yes. One can mix them if one wishes to do so. But it is essential to read the label to ascertain the ingredients there are made of in other not to get into problem
2. When is the right time to apply face moisturizers?
Apply face moisturizer based on your needs and instruction given by the manufacturer. Some moisturizer requires one to apply only at night while others can be used both in the morning and at night
3. Are nighttime lotion more effective?
Not really, but most times, bedtime lotions or cream are more effective concerning their reparative and therapeutic properties. It also useful because it tends to work while your face is not exposed to dirt or sunray.
4. Is it good to apply facial moisturizer while the face is wet?
It is not ok to apply face moisturizer while the face is still wet. It might end up making your face oily or greasy.
5. Are face moisturizers made with some allergens?
It is important to determine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
6. Is it alright for me to wash my face after applying a face moisturizer?
Definitely yes, but you need to wait for some minutes after applying to allow the moisturizer to absorb fully into the skin. Washing off the face immediately after using negates the importance of the application.
7. What are the benefits of a face moisturizer?
Face moisturizers come with different benefits and effects on the skin. It helps to reduce aging of the skin while others help to retain moisture to the skin. Other benefits include hydrating the skin and acting as a sunscreen as a result of the SPF properties infused into the lotion or cream.
8. How much face lotion should I apply?
Apply a little amount of the moisturizer each time you make use of the product. Know that the amount to apply may vary by skin type or brand. The amount can be averaged to about a teaspoon.
In conclusion, it is important to follow the tips given above while applying the face moisturizer. You can now determine the ideal moisturizer to choose in other to avoid skin issues and to also hydrate the skin. Make sure that the face moisturizer is developed for your skin type and is blended with ingredients that your skin is not allergic to.
It is, therefore, necessary to always take care of your skin in other to stay healthy, fresh, and supple.
Good luck as you make your selection for your facial moisturizer.