Best Exercise balls
Exercising is a way of life if you want to keep fit and maintain good body shape, and in every complete gym, there would always be an exercise ball. Not for the fun of it, but for the numerous advantages it can add to your exercise routines. You can exercise indoor as well as outdoor according to your needs. There are many ways to do workout inside such as pull-up bars and ab bench, you can get this equipment to do exercise whenever you wish to.
If you are someone who has just started exercising then exercise ball works great. Exercise balls are also known as Swiss balls, and they are made of elastic with a diameter of approximately 35 to 85 centimeters (14 to 34 inches), and it is inflated with air. When the air pressure is to be changed, the valve stem is removed, thereafter, air can be filled into it, or left to deflate.
This ball is used extensively in physical therapy, athletic training, and general exercising. If you are going to be weight lifting, the ball can also be used.
There are a number of other names for the exercise ball, which include but are not limited to; fitness ball, gym ball, physio ball, Pilates ball, Swedish ball, etc.
The exercise balls were developed in 1963 by Aquilino Cosani, an Italian plastic manufacturer when he perfected the process for the manufacture of a plastic ball that is puncture resistant. The balls were first used in the treatment of infants and newly born by Mary Quinton, and then Dr. Sussane Klein Vogelbach, who integrated the use of ball exercise as a physical form of therapy for neurodevelopmental treatments.
Over time, have you been curious about how you can strengthen your core, protect your joints, and get more muscle-building benefits whenever you work out? Then you are in the right place.
Exercise balls are what you really should be looking for, and this piece is poised at intimating you with how to use exercise balls, the different types of exercises that you can do, types of exercise balls, how to buy exercise balls , advantages of using exercise balls and help you pick the best ones out there in the market along with FAQs. Stability balls are there to take your exercising to the next level.
Top 10 Exercise Balls
Great for Physical Session
Best For Strengthening Muscles
Great for exercising
Perfect Yoga Ball
Ensure balanced body and mind
Best for back exercises
How Do You Use Exercise Balls?
There are quite a number of ways with which you can always use exercise balls, and since it does not take up much space, it is a must-have in your home workout space. Due to the fact that you need to achieve some extra stability, you need to start your weight lifting with lighter weights.
You can always use exercise balls in place of benches, but in using these balls, you need to adjust and fire up your core, hip and shoulder stability, as it is a bit different from the bench in use.
Also, with the use of exercise balls, there would find movements in your abs and hamstring. You can use the exercise balls in the form of weight too, and get it moved from one side of your body to the other or pass it between your hands and feet.
Ten Different Exercises You Can Do With an Exercise Ball
There is a range of stability ball exercises. These include:
Stability ball jackknife
This ball performs dual roles in the body, as it strengthens the hip flexors as well as it crunches the abs.
- Get in a high-plank position with your hands directly under your shoulder and your shin directly above the exercise ball.
- Make sure your body is in a straight line by bracing your core, and this is the position you start from.
- Fold your core, and bend your knee to roll the exercise ball to the front, in a direction towards your hand, until your toes are resting on the ball, thereby keeping your hips down as you do.
- Wait for a brief moment, then go back slowly to your straight position – your starting position.
Stability ball hamstring curl
This simple move would help strengthen your hamstrings and your glutes, as well as engaging your core. This exercise involves you to;
- Lay flat on the ground with your back, while the back of your calf lays on the ball and your legs straight.
- Brace your core, squeeze your glutes, thereby raising your hips off the floor. This results in your body forming a straight line from shoulder to heels. This is the starting position for this exercise.
- Roll the ball by dragging your heel close to your butt, and make your knees form a 90-degree angle.
- Wait for a brief moment, then straighten your legs as you roll your feet away from your glutes, thereby going back to your start position.
Stability ball deadbug
The primary aim of this exercise is to teach your core how it ought to work. The core is designed to ensure the stability of the spine, while you can do other things with your hands and legs. Here is how it works;
- Lay on the floor with your back, while your arm is extended straight up, and your leg is bent at about 90-degrees. Hold the exercise ball between your knees and your hands.
- Trying keeping the ball in place with just your right knee and left hand. Brace your core and do vice versa. The removed limbs should only go as low as your lower back would be pressed against the ground.
- Do this repeatedly and return to your starting position. Continue alternating by performing equal reps on each side.
Stability balls V-pass
With this exercise, you are challenging your body to move to the next level of stability. The working of this exercise is such that, your core passes the ball between your hand and feet. Hence, you need to engage your inner thighs and arm to prevent the ball from falling.
- Lay on the floor with your back to the ground, while your leg is extended straight on the floor, hold the ball over your head with both hands. Brace your core to make sure there is no arch in your lower back. This is the position you start with.
- Lift your arm and leg, by squeezing your abs. Thereafter, place the ball between your calves by creating a V position.
- Lower your back to the starting position, but at this point, let the ball be between your leg.
- Make a repeat of this sequence, alternating the ball between your hands and legs.
Stability decline pushes up.
This push-up style strengthens your core and works on your arm. If you can’t perform regular pushups, you shouldn’t dabble into this form of it.
- Get in a high position on the ball and let your hand directly be under your body. Brace your core, squeeze your glutes, thereby keeping your body in a straight line, right from your head to your toe.
- Lower your chest towards the ground by bending your elbows. Go as low as your elbow forming a 45 degree when viewed from above.
- Go back to the plank position by pressing your arms straight again.
Stability ball wall squat
This move gives more straight to your glutes, hamstrings, and quad, while it also helps with your stability through your hips and core. Here is how you go about this;
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, then place the stability ball between the wall and your back. Your feet would slightly be in front of your body.
- Roll the ball down by bending your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your knees should align with your middle toes.
- Wait for a brief moment, then press your heel to go back to your initial position, and go over the whole process.
- If you want to take the difficulty to another level, you can hold a dumbbell in each hand.
If you are hoping to increase your core stability and rotational strength in a straightforward move, this is the exercise you should be doing, as it targets your oblique and transverse abdominis.
- Lie with your upper back on a stability ball while your feet are flat on the floor, and your knees bent in a 90 degree. Form a straight line with your torso by bracing your core.
- Extend your arms straight above your chest and press your palms together. This is the position in which you start.
- Rotate your torso to roll onto one shoulder as far as you can while raising your other hand from the ball. Make sure your hip stays square with the floor.
- Go back to the starting position
- Do this repeatedly.
Single-leg stability ball hip thrust
This advanced hip thrust variation helps develop your glutes and hamstrings, and it does this when you train one leg at once, thereby correcting any imbalance in your muscles. In carrying out this exercise, you have to;
- Lay on the floor with your back, and your two feet on the stability ball. Your legs should be bent at 90 degrees’ angle.
- Lift one of your foot away from the ball, and stretch it out, straight.
- Squeeze your glutes to thrust your hips off the ground. Make your torso form a straight line from head to toes by bracing your core.
- Stay in the position for a brief moment, then lower your hips back to the ground.
- Repeat this procedure.
Stability ball “I-Y-T” shoulder raise
If you are one of such persons that sits all day with the computer, this is the exercise you should be doing, to stabilize your shoulder and your mid back muscles. It seems simple, but it is tough to carry out.
- Lay on the exercise ball with your stomach, face down, and make sure your leg is extended straight behind you. Form a straight line on the ball, from head to toe, by bracing your core.
- Let your hand hang straight towards the floor. Form a fist with your hand, but let your thumbs be up.
- Raise your arms straight up and close to your ears, while keeping your shoulder pressed down. This raising of your hand should be led with your thumb. This is the “I” position
- Lower your arms, then raise them diagonally, in the “Y” position.
- Lower the arms and lift them straight up to the side, to form the “T”
- This “I-Y-T” cycle is one set.
- If you really want to raise the difficulty level, you can always have a dumbbell in each hand.
Stability ball rollout
It is a simple technique, but it will surely leave your abs shaking, as it tests your core and stability.
- Place your hands on a stability ball and kneel with your knee hip-width apart, while your toes are on the floor.
- Make sure your back is flat, and your core is braced. Do not move your knees, then slowly roll on the ball, forward. Let your body form a straight line from head to toe.
- Wait for a brief moment in that position, then go back to your starting position.
Traditional Exercise Ball vs. Bosu
Both balls are actually great, and if you are looking to improve your core stability, both will suffice. However, there is a couple of difference between these two which you should be aware of.
If you are an absolute novice to the stability game, this is the right ball to start with, it is better for you than the stability ball. This is better for beginners because it has a platform on one side of the ball, thereby offering greater stability to the user for core work, squats and floor bridges.
You can conduct an extensive range of exercises with this ball than the stability ball. You get to perform various essential exercises very safely. If you are looking for the ball to take lesser space in your home, this is the right ball.
Traditional exercise ball
Like the BOSU, you can always use this ball for stability training, glute and hamstring work. If you are a novice, you should dabble into using this ball just yet, as it has lesser stability than the BOSU. However, this is just the perfect ball for exercising for those other novices.
If you are a professional, you can perform various forms of intermediate exercise, and even go pro, by going through exercises such as pushups and even squats. This ball offers more if you aim at developing your core. There is a challenging range of exercise you can always perform on this ball, ranging from really simple ones to complex ones.
Advantages of Using Exercise Balls
There are a great number of reasons why you should consider having exercise balls in your workout space. Let us find out more about the exercise ball benefits.
Improves spinal stability:
Using exercise balls would increase the security of your spine and reduce the risk of back pain in sedentary persons.
Increases the muscle fibers used up:
When you employ the use of stability balls in your exercises, you get to make use of more fibers than when you do the same exercise on the floor.
Aid in sports performance:
Using this ball, you get to strengthen the muscles of your core, improve proprioception, or the awareness of your body as it moves through space, thereby improving your posture, balance, and coordination.
If you are looking to advance work on your balance as an athlete, this is one equipment to work with, as it helps you get better at balancing.
Makes you feel more energetic:
Since you are exposed to a higher level of difficulty when you train with the exercise ball, you get more active over time, and you can go even further.
Strengthens your core:
One primary function that the exercise ball can perform is that it improves your core stability, most of the exercises you play with the ball involve active use of your core, thereby you get it developed over time.
Types of Exercise Balls
Now that we know a few of the different ways you can use the exercise ball, it is good to know of the different kinds there are. Stated below is a brief introduction to the various types of stability balls you can find out there.
Large exercise balls
You are very familiar with these; they are ones that are found in gyms, studios, etc. This ball is so unstable. Hence, it’s extensive use in training the core for stability.
Small or mini exercise balls
These also perform the stability function of the large balls. However, they are limited in the parts they can be applied on. They cannot be used for the whole body length.
These balls are sometimes misconstrued to be large exercise balls, but they are ones that do not roll, because they are heavy, weighing between 8 and 15 pounds. They are used in cases where the weight of the ball is an addition to the challenge.
Small weighted toning ball
These balls weigh just between 1 to 3 pounds, and since they are easy to handle, they can sometimes be used in place of hand weights.
Small therapy ball
They are also lightweight balls, but they are mainly used in exercises that tend to be massaging in nature.
Foot massage balls
When you get to roll out your tired feet, it feels great. Sit with the ball on the ground, so that you can always control the pressure and roll up and down and all around.
How to Pick out the Best Stability Ball in the Store
Getting a stability ball involves you spending money, and you don’t want to spend your money and time on the wrong. In buying a stability ball, there are a few things you must look out for, which are;
Is it burst proof?
If you are going to be using the ball with other weight materials such as a dumbbell, you might want to check if the ball is labeled to be burst-proof. These balls would get damaged in the long run, but if an exercise ball is to get hurt, it should instead be one to deflate, and not one to burst. If the ball explodes, it can cause you to hit the ground, and you would get injured.
How to find the right size?
These balls are of different sizes, and this is the order in which they are sold. You should check out the various types of balls and what they are used for, so as to know the size that fits your need. You should make sure that the ball you get is one that will still afford you a 90-degree stance when you sit.
What is the stiffness of the ball?
When the ball is round, the round surface offers instability that challenges your muscles. But if the ball is low on air, this benefit is undermined. You should make sure that the ball you would get has enough air, such that, when you sit or stay on it, it maintains a round shape still, rather than a flat bench-like form.
Prices depend on brands, quality, and durability. So, if you are going to be getting a ball, get one that wouldn’t affect your budget. Stick to your budget, while going for the best in that range.
When you want to get your exercise ball, you should be sure to make sure that the air in it does not make the ball too tight since you will be placing your body weight on the ball and it would be exposed to expanding. If it’s too inflated and tight, it might damage soon. Keep it light.
You should also consider the weight that would be going on the ball. Know the range of the weight of all the users, and get the ball perfect for that. If you are not too sure, you can always speak to the vendor of the ball, and let them lead you on this.
1. Strauss Anti Burst Gym Ball – Our Pick
Balance balls are known to be versatile and would be used to deliver great cardio workouts, improve balance and flexibility, and also help you build strength. These listed are what the Strauss Anti Burst Gym Ball with foot pump is set to deliver, and it does this in a unique style.
In using exercise balls, the main aim is to achieve instability, as it adds to exercising challenges, and this is just what the ball does, effectively.
- Balance ball trainer: With this ball, you can tremendously improve on your coordination, body awareness, muscle strength, stability and flexibility, delivering fast and mind-blowing results.
- Safety: it is made of 100% BPA and it is also latex-free, so as to avoid the cases of allergy. This affords you the chance to use the ball for anything without fear.
- Anti-burst: The unique anti-burst technology provides it with the capacity to support weights up to 600 pounds.
- It is slip-resistant, as it is made of high-grade PVC material with round massage particles.
- It features an elastic resistance band with handles that can easily be attached or detached.
- You can use it for various exercises
- It can last for a long time without bursting
- Though the ball will not burst, it is prone to leaking easily.
2. B Fit USA Anti Burst Gym Ball – Great for Physical Session
This product is easy to use, and a really fun object at that. This is just the right product to add to your workout regime. It can help with the conditioning of your core, training in balance, spinal stabilization, weight training, and physical therapy.
There are various other forms of physical sessions you can include this object, which provides for; yoga, Pilates and fusion exercise. This ball is just as versatile as it can get, the perfect trait everyone needs in an exercise ball.
The B Fit USA gym ball is made of BPA, latex and heavy metal, featuring anti-burst and anti-slip technology, thereby ensuring safety even when it is pierced with the sharpest of objects and also ensure an excellent grip on the slippery surface. This ball can be used extensively and intensively for an extended period.
- It is made of BPA, latex and heavy metal
- It features unique anti-burst and anti-slip features.
- The kit comes with a pump.
- It is highly durable and can last for years without damage.
- Its anti-slip technology makes it easier to hold with falling off.
- Even when punctured, it would not burst.
- It is made of a high-quality rubber
- The standard size ends up too big for some persons.
3. Piesome Exercise Anti Burst Yoga Ball – Editors choice
Fitness is an important thing that we must follow to develop a healthy body. An exercise ball is a perfect option that is useful for areas such as the back, knees, and shoulders. Piesome Exercise Non-Slip Stability Anti Burst Yoga Ball is one such addition to the market in the ranges of exercise balls. Let us have a look at the features.
- This anti-burst product is soft and supple which is recommended by the therapists for your rehabilitation problems which happen in areas such as back, knees, and shoulders.
- An excellent product for all the Yoga practicing people and for those who workout daily.
- The exercise ball is made up of anti-burst PVC foam material which is very eco-friendly.
- They are large and durable and do not get burst if you are worried about that.
- The non-toxic and non-sticky material makes it easy for you to hold the ball and prevent any kind of slipping even when you sweat a lot.
- It is BPA-free, so you need not worry about any health issues.
- A dual-action hand or foot pump is included with this product.
- These balls are perfectly designed for barre classes, pilates mat classes, and yoga classes and help you to give core strength to your body.
- One of the most significant advantages is that pregnant women could also use it during delivery.
- After fully inflated, the ball remains elastic and squishy.
- Due to its slightly textured surface, it remains in place while exercising.
- It can be easily stored inside a closet when not in use.
- The air pump is very compact and easy to use
- No negative points observed so far.
4. Thera-band standard exercise ball – Best For Strengthening Muscles
If you are in search of a ball that would suffice for your need? Then balls from Thera-band are one of your best shots. Thera-band standard exercise balls are inflatable, and they are used extensively in strengthening muscles, in a bid to improve posture and help get rid of back pain.
In the kit for the exercise balls, there are two plugs and an inflation adapter. Also, there is the Thera-band exercise ball guide poster, that shows about 24 different exercises you can always do with the ball. You should note that the ball size indications reflect inflation.
- It has a height and width of 9 cm and 18 cm respectively.
- It is used to exercise abdominals, back, glutes, hips and other muscles, great for rehab and flexibility.
- For different persons, these balls help push beyond the limits when it is integrated into daily workouts or gym sessions.
- It helps to strengthen the muscles, improves posture, balance and core stability. Also, it prevents back and spine pains.
- It is easy to clean and the come deflated with two plugs
- You can always sit on all day while at work.
- It can be used for health purposes, for even knee replacement rehabs.
- It is non-returnable
5. Jsb Bs Gel ball for women – Reduce Stress
This ball was designed to make life a lot easier for hard workers like yourself. You get to use this product either in the office to exercise your fingers and to reduce stress, or if you are at home and you wish to exercise, it would be of good use. This is the best Stability ball for office.
- It is made of 100% gel material
- It has a long life and it is unbreakable
- It retains its position even after hours on continuous and heavy use.
- It is effective for stress relief and hand exercises.
- It is soft and pliable.
- It is good for strengthening hand muscles.
- When it comes in contact with a sharp object, it can get torn.
6. Cockatoo Anti-burst gym ball – Great for exercising
Are you looking for an exercise ball to engage with your muscles efficiently? Then this is the best item you should be looking to get. This exercise ball from cockatoo has been made with durable material that is poised at preventing damage over continued usage. It also allows users to perform several functions while improving balance and core stability.
- Durable material: The material with which this ball has been made is very durable as it can handle weights of various kinds, and can be used for any form of exercise. The material used is set to deliver excellent and seamless performance.
- Anti-burst ball: even on continued use, you want your ball to remain safe and not suddenly collapse, this ball will surely suffice. Target various parts of your body for multiple forms of exercise without the fear of the ball letting go.
- Allows for various workout forms: Have you always thought that exercise balls are only for abdominal muscles? Then, you are mistaken. The cockatoo gym ball can be used for various parts of the body, including; the leg, hands, back and many other elements. Its versatility makes it relevant in the modern trend of the workout.
- Available in various sizes: You need to have the perfect ball size for you if you are going to get the best out of using an exercise ball. Hence, the cockatoo ball comes in different sizes.
- It comes with a foot pump.
- It is anti-burst in nature
- It is made of a long lasting durable material
- The surface is not smooth
- It has a cheap looking color.
7. Flamingo Gel exercise ball – Universal – Great Durability
There might be times that your hands might need a little exercising, or you want to train it for grip strength, dexterity, mobility, and excellent motor skills. This ball is designed to withstand unlimited squeezing and provides therapeutic relief and excellent relief of stress.
- It features the name of the brand on it.
- It has a dimension of 6.5 × 6.5 × 6.5 cm
- Gel materials were used in the ball.
- It is a unique exercise for coordination of the fingers, especially for patients with chronic neuro diseases.
- It has limited exercise it can be used for.
8. Aurion Medicine Ball – Perfect Yoga Ball
This ball is suitable for use at the gym or can be used for training at home. They are perfect as they have been developed in partnership with fitness trainers, who made sure that the optimum weight composition and gradation were considered.
It is the perfect ball for Yoga, Pilate, rehab, and fitness. In a bid to create something unique, the ball is being made of an extra thick and durable material. It has a non-slip rubber surface that ensures a firm hold even when there is a rapid range in motion.
The ball is physiological allergenic safe, and it is hygienic, odorless, skin-friendly and robust.
- It is made of an extra thick and durable material
- Weighs about 2kg.
- It features a non-slip rubber surface
- Users are safe from allergies, odor or skin irritation
- It is effective for exercising.
- It is small in size compared to the standard needed at a gym
9. Strauss yoga massage ball – Ensure balanced body and mind
If you want to develop a holistic approach to a healthy, balanced mind and body, Strauss can always come to your aid as this is a small yoga ball. With this product, you can always get relief from stiff and painful muscles.
The ball is built with durable silicone rubber, and its solid feel makes it perfect for active and concentrated massage. It can be used in trigger point therapy, corrective therapy and in deep tissue massage.
- It is made of dense silicone
- It comes in a variety of colors.
- It has a soft texture.
- It is great to relieve pain in the back.
- It rolls well and just perfect for relaxing deep muscles.
- It would not suffice for major exercises that require bigger balls.
10. TOUA Fitness Exercise Ball – Best for back exercises
This is a gym ball that can be used as exceptionally versatile gym equipment, as it allows you to carry out various exercises for any and all parts of your body, and it can also help in rehabilitation.
This is the reliable gym ball you have been looking out for. This ball measures to 55cm in diameter, and can go on smoothly when used for Pilates, rehab and stretching exercises. The inflatable anti-burst gym ball has a foot pump; with which you can inflate it with ease.
The ball can be carried wherever you wish for a workout. Both men and women can use this ball for training.
- It is made of a rubber material.
- The gym ball is designed to be suitable for back exercises and posture correction
- It features a quick foot pump.
- It can be used for abdominal exercise and other aerobic exercises.
- Can be used by persons of different body masses.
- It is made of very quality material
- It is slippery and does not feature an anti-slip technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What size exercise ball should I use?
The size of the ball depends on your height. If you are between 4 feet 6 inches to 5 feet tall in height, you should choose a 45 cm ball as it would be perfect for you.
You can select a 55 cm ball if you are having a height of 5 feet 5 inches to 6 feet. For height exceeding that, you should opt a 75 cm ball
4. What are the criteria for space safety?
Ideally, there is every possibility that the exercise ball can burst, but when subjected to regular use, the ball is seen to be very light and stretchy. If the right material is used, the ball should only be prone to losing air, rather than bursting. However, if the surface is exposed to sharp objects or chemicals, it can always burst.
Space proof balls prevent further tearing in the event of it being damaged, and this result in air coming out the ball very slowly. This is ensured by the 3mm thick skin.
One other criterion is the weight, and following the rule, space safety is 100kg. if the ball is quality, it can be loadable to be 500kg.
Basically, the safety of the ball is dependent on the various materials used.
5. Do I need to clean the exercise balls?
Yes, you need to clean these balls, and you can do that by cleaning with water and cloth. If there is a tough stain on the ball, you can always remove that with dilute cleaning alcohol. While cleaning the ball, you should ensure that no sharp object or chemical comes in contact with the ball.
You can also use hand washing soaps in cleaning the ball. Make sure the soap soaks for a few minutes, then you rub the surface with a wet sponge
6. What is the difference between an exercise ball and a fuzzball?
There is no difference, as “fuzzball” is the best representative of the exercise balls, as the company Ledragomma has been producing exercise balls since 1950, with this wordmark.
7. How do I get the air out of the ball?
If you want to open the valve, you should make sure not to use a sharp object, neither should you pull the plug out of the air inlet. Instead, you should use a blunt object such as a coffee spoon, if the plug is too tight.
8. How long can I sit on an exercise ball?
You can always sit on the ball, as long as you have no complaints. You can sit on it all day. However, the producers would advise the balls be exposed to just about 1 or 2 hours of seating.
9. Is there a difference between sitting balls and exercise balls?
These balls differ in their use. But, an exercise ball should not be used as a sitting ball, as the latter has extended use. There are no differences between these two balls.
Are you a fitness enthusiast? And you are in search of a gadget to improve your stability and strengthen your core; then you should get an exercise ball for yourself. Since it becomes difficult to make choices, we feel the Strauss Anti Burst Gym Ball, B Fit USA Anti Burst gym ball and Piesome Exercise Anti Burst Yoga Ball will prove highly beneficial for you to improve the stability.
Various exercises could be done with the exercise ball, and only a handful of them have been listed here. The balls are great workout equipment, which can serve other purposes in the home or office, and you need to buy exercise balls today.