Best Dosa Tawas
That smooth textured crispiness artistically rolled innovative shapes and stuffing with sautéed potatoes. The mere sight of a dosa stimulates your taste buds and visual senses alike.
The dosa with its varied savoury flavours and servings with spicy sambar and chutney makes an ideal morning breakfast or evening snack. The crunchier taste of dosa leaves you drooling for more with its irresistible looks and tempting taste.
Being prepared from the fermented batter of lentils and rice, a perfectly roasted and crispy dosa requires a perfect technique and a high-quality dosa tawa.
A well-designed dosa tawa helps you prepare a dosa within no time and fills your mornings and evenings with awesomeness.
10 Best Dosa Tawa in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Types of Tawa Material
You will find multiple options when it comes to a dosa tawa. But it is necessary to select that best material so that it lasts longer and is durable.
Anodised aluminium tawa is a great conductor of heat and is considered somewhat nonstick, making it one of the options for a dosa tawa.
Anodized Aluminum is obtained after dipping the aluminium in an electrolyte bath and running an electric current through the metal.
This process protects the aluminium from corrosion. After the whole process, you are left with a hard dark grey surface that is corrosion-free.
One great thing about cast iron pans is that it heats up gradually and then stays hot for quite a while. This makes it an excellent choice for making dosa.
It comes with a natural nonstick coating over time means it can be used for an extended period. It can be quite heavy, which can be an issue.
Aluminium as a metal is super lightweight, so the tawa made out of it will also be super light and easy to handle.
The only downside of using aluminium when cooking anything with alkaline food or acidic food will start to rust. But this works great for dosas.
Many regular pans come with a nonstick coating. This is just to be extra cautious that nothing sticks to the pan. They are very popular as cooking in them is easy, and food does not stick. Nonstick coating is necessary for making dosa.
Size and Thickness
To make a dosa, you need a wider space, so it is necessary to check the diameter of the tawa before purchasing.
You will find various tawa sizes in the market, and the size ranges between 8 inches to 20 inches. Pick out a tawa that will suit your stove size as well. The average tawa size is 16 inches.
Also, make sure of the thickness because you don’t want the tawa to be too thick or else it will take too much time for it to get heated.
A nonstick tawa is needed if you want to make crispy dosa more often. If you buy a low-quality nonstick tawa, then the coating might come off after a few uses, which is dangerous for the health.
Invest in a high quality nonstick tawa for long-lasting durability and to get your money’s worth.
You must buy every cookware with heat-resistant handles. This will allow you to cook safely without burning your hand. The same applies to a dosa tawa so check if the handles are heat-resistant so you will be freely able to move the tawa even if it’s hot.
PFOA stands for polytetrafluoroethylene and is a chemical that was used in making the nonstick coating. Later on, it was studied that this PFOA is not good for human health. It is essential to check if the tawa is PFOA free as it can affect you and your family’s health.
Dosa Tawas are not that expensive, and you will find a reasonable price range to choose from. Most tawas fall under this price range INR 1500 to INR 3000, which is quite affordable.
Don’t fall for the pricer’s stereotype the better; you can easily find a great quality dosa tawa under your budget.
Top 10 Best Dosa Tawa
1. Hawkins Futura Tawa
Hawkins is a very well known cookware company in India. Founded in 1959, it is one of the oldest companies providing premium quality cookware to the Indian household.
They manufacture cookware suitable for every Indian dish, which is the main reason for its popularity.
- Its dimensions are – diameter 33cm, thickness 4.88 mm
- The material used is aluminium
- The tawa was manufactured using Hawkins’s unique patented process
- It can be used on a stove burner and electric top
- The tawa comes with high quality German nonstick coating that will allow you to cook the food nicely
- It has a hard-anodized base that allows faster and even cooking
- The high-quality nonstick coating will allow you to use oil-less
- It also comes with a wooden spatula to cook with and a plastic scrubber to clean with
- It also comes with a cookbook that has recipes for meals made with this tawa
- Not compatible with the induction cooktop
2. Amazon Brand Solimo Non-Stick Tawa
Amazon Brand Solimo tawa is a 26 cm non-stick frying tawa that enables you to cook various dosas, paranthas, and even rotis with great ease and convenience. It is a wide-sized griddle that is suitable for preparing healthy and oil-free pancakes and dosas.
- It is a food-grade tawa that is prepared from 100% virgin aluminium
- It has a thickness of 2.9 mm, and it weighs 630 gms. This adds to its durability. Due to its surrounding raised wall and 2.5 cm depth, it prevents the oil or food spillage effectively
- It ensures healthy and oil-free cooking with its European-imported 2-layered non-stick and food-grade coating
- It features a 13 cm long and cool-touch Bakelite handle along with double rivets that provides a smooth, firm, and safe grip by resisting the heat-transfer
- It provides flexible cooking as it can be used with both gas stoves and induction cooking
- It is an appropriately sized tawa that can be used for comfortably cooking varieties of dosas, pancakes, roti, omelettes, and other food items
- It shows the excellent non-stick property, and you would love to toss your dosas freely with this pan
- It is a sturdy and robust frying pan that ensures enhanced durability for long-lasting usage
- This dosa tawa looks appealing with its sleek design and shiny appearance due to red metallic paint. It improves the décor of your modern kitchen style
- It is an ideal frying pan that provides convenient usage for meeting daily cooking requirements
- This dosa tawa can be easily and safely cleaned either by hand or in a dishwasher
- The colour of the pan comes off after a few days of usage.
3. iBELL Tawa
iBell is an Indian company which was started in 2007. Over the years they have manufactured a huge range of products from electronics, personal grooming, kitchenware, garden tools, cleaning tools, and so much more.
They aim to provide products that offer comfort to its users. Here we are taking a look at their non-stick tawa, which is part of their cookware range.
- Tawa’s dimensions are 290 mm and thickness is 33 mm
- Tawa comes with a 3 layer non-stick coating and is durable for the long run
- It comes in a concave design which means that oil won’t run to the pan’s sides. This is will allow even cooking
- It is made of aluminium, and it offers high-grade non-stick coating on it
- It comes with heat resistant bakelite handle, which means the handle won’t get hot while the tawa is on the stove
- It comes in a high glossy colour exterior that gives it a sleek look
- It has a dot texture surface which gives the tawa a modern look
- Comes with a 6-month warranty
- It is prone to scratches as it’s not scratch resistant
4. Wonderchef Tawa
Wonderchef offers high-quality cookware products that are practical and pretty to look at. Founded by star chef Sanjeev Kapoor, the products have Italian design and materials used are German. This makes them durable and top quality.
Let’s check out some of its features.
- Its diameter is 28 cm
- It is made out of pure grade aluminium and has a non-stick coating
- It is compatible with most heating sources like stove, induction, hot plate, infrared cooktop, gas cooktop, ceramic cooktop. This makes it super versatile
- It comes with 5 layers professional-grade non-stick coating, which has been tested and won’t peel off
- It is PFOA free
- It comes with an ergonomic soft-touch handle that is stud welded, so no food gets accumulated
- Suitable for making a variety of dishes like dosa, uttapams, chillas, pizza, omelette, rolls, and much more
- The tawa has a granite finish for that sleek look
- It is easy to clean after use as it only requires warm soapy water to clean
- It comes with a 2 year warranty period
- It is prone to scratches
5. Prestige Tawa
TTK Prestige is an Indian company that manufactures cookware products. Founded in 1955, Prestige is known by many for its quality products that are now used in the family for decades. One such great product by them is this Omega Deluxe Omni Tawa.
- The tawa has a diameter of 300 mm and thickness is 3 mm
- It is made out of aluminium and has a nonstick coating
- It has 5 layer coat which consists of – topcoat of PTFE that gives granite finish, 2 layers of reinforced spatter coat which helps in keeping the tawa look new for a longer period, the intermediate coat- this helps with even heating, the base coat works as an adhesive between nonstick coating and substrate
- It has a granite finish for durability and a sleek look
- Comes with a heat-resistant handle for efficient cooking
- It is dishwasher safe
- It comes with a superior nonstick coating that won’t peel off easily
- It is metal spoon friendly
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- It is not flat but has a concave design which leads to uneven cooking
6. Qualy Investo Tawa
Qualy Investo is an Indian brand that manufactures kitchenware products. It offers products like cookware sets, vegetable slicers, tableware, and much more.
- The tawa’s diameter is 30 cm with a thickness of 6 mm and weighs 2 kilograms
- It is made of raw cast iron whose finishing is done by manual grinding machine
- It does not contain any added coating of enamel or cadmium
- It is a pre-seasoned tawa which makes sure that the tawa doesn’t get rust
- Cast iron has good heat retention power and stays hot for longer periods compared to other pans
- It is flat which allows the food to get cooked faster
- Not suitable with an induction cooktop
7. Nirlon Tawa
Nirlon is a part of Unique Cookware India Pvt Ltd. It is one of the leading companies in nonstick cookware and stainless steel bottles. Nirlon nonstick tawa is a great option if you enjoy making crispy dosas often. It is made of the highest quality materials that make it long-lasting.
- The tawa has a diameter of 28 cm
- It is made of high-grade aluminium and stainless steel
- It comes with German coating which is superior in quality
- The nonstick coating on the pan is 100% safe and toxic-free
- The handles are insulated, so it does not burn your hands while cooking
- It is PFOA free which means it is chemical-free
- The handles are attached with rivets, so it does not come off easily
- The handles are designed ergonomically for comfort and control
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- It is only compatible with gas stoves
8. Sumeet Set
Sumeet cookware is where you will find everything you need to start a kitchen. They offer casserole dishes, dinner plates, cookware sets, utensils. You name it, and they have it. They offer great quality products at an affordable price.
- The tawa’s dimensions are 26.5 x 26.5 x 1.5 cm
- It’s a combo pack, comes with a dosa tawa and mini multi snack maker
- Tawa is made up of aluminium and has a 3 layer nonstick coating
- The topcoat is for the durability of the coat, mid-coat acts as a protective and bonding layer, and the base-coat acts as a primer for durability
- It is PFOA chemical-free
- The attractive look makes it an appropriate housewarming gift
- It is easy to clean and handle
- The tawa offers even cooking which lowers gas consumption by 40% meaning it saves both time and money
- Not suitable for induction cooktops
9. Nakshathra Tawa
If you are looking for an iron cast tawa to make dosas, then we have the perfect product for you. Nakshathra dosa tawa is a traditional large-sized iron cast that will provide you with crispy dosa every time.
- The tawa’s diameter is 14 inches with a thickness of 5mm, and it weighs 3.3kg
- It is a pre-treated tawa that does not contain any chemical coating
- Cast iron can retain the heat for a longer period meaning you can cook on it evenly without using more gas
- This particular tawa is called a kallu which is recommended for large families since it can allow people to cook for a longer time
- It is designed to make large dosas
- It can also be used in making chapatis, parathas, adai, and akki roti
- Comes with a proper instruction manual
- It comes with a spatula
- It is quite heavy and not easy to move around
- Has an uncomfortable handle
10. Dynamic Tawa
Dynamic Cookwares products are safe and of great quality. It offers a huge range of cookware to choose from. Here we are taking a look at its cast-iron tawa in detail.
The dosa tawa is made using the highest quality cast iron and has a nonstick coating that helps you make the best dosas, and also the tawa lasts longer.
- The tawa has a diameter of 11 inches with a thickness of 5.5mm and weighs about 3 kg
- It is made of Cast iron and is machine polished which offers nonstick cooking and a clean look
- It is made using controlled metallurgy using technology which assures quality
- It is compatible with gas, induction, campfire, and convection
- It can last for a very long time if taken care of properly
- It comes with 2 handles on the side for a better grip
- Any type of spatula can be used for cooking
- Can not be used directly, need to follow the instructions given before using
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is dosa tawa?
Dosa tawa is a large pan. A pan in India is called a tawa. Since making dosas require a good amount of space, tawas are made specifically for dosas and are thus commonly referred to as dosa tawa.
2. Can dosa tawas be used to make chapattis?
Yes, dosa tawas are multipurpose. They can be used for rotis, parathas, uttapams. Investing in one good dosa tawa can be quite useful in the kitchen.
3. What to do if dosa is sticking to the tawa?
Normally, this is happening because the dosa tawa you are using does not have a good nonstick coating. Investing in a good quality nonstick tawa is a must.
But for an instant fix, you can alter your dosa batter and make it a little thicker. This will prevent it from sticking to the base of the tawa.
4. Can you make dosas on an iron tawa?
Yes, dosas can be made on an iron tawa. An iron tawa is used to make dosas traditionally, but it does require a few steps that need to be followed before starting.
The iron tawa needs to be sprinkled with saltwater first and once it is brown wipe it down and then apply a coat of oil on it. This is the process you need to follow before using an iron cast tawa.
Cast iron is great at retaining heat, which is why it is used when more food needs to be made.
5. Is a granite dosa tawa good for health?
Granite is generally used in making frying pans. They are made using stainless steel with glass coating and is considered safe.
But you need to check that is does not have PFOA in it. PFOA is a chemical used in making non-stick coating but is harmful to health. Other than that, granite tawa is safe enough to use.
The immense popularity of dosas has made dosa tawas an essential cooking appliance not only for South Indian kitchens but across the country. Our favourite includes Hawkins Futura tawa, Solimo tawa, Ibell tawaand Wonderchef tawa.
A dosa tawa is non-stick cookware that enables you to spread the batter uniformly over its surface and provide perfect cooking throughout. It consumes less oil and helps you to fold the dosa into your desired shape.
Get a good-quality dosa tawa for enjoying a healthy, delicious, and fulfilling meal enriched with carbohydrates, proteins, and vitamins without any saturated fats or added sugars.