Best Dosa Tawas
Nothing can beat dosa when it comes to breakfast. Dosa is a very well known dish in India. Originated in a small town named Uddipi in the state of Karnataka, Dosa, later on, became a staple dish in South Indian cuisine.
It didn’t take much for the dosa to reach every restaurant in India. Dosa managed to grab everyone’s taste buds as well as heart and is now undoubtedly one of the most popular dishes of India.
Made out of fermented rice, dosa is super versatile and can be had with anything, chutney, bhaji.
Indian’s are crazy about food, and to no surprise, there are so many fusion dishes of dosa like Noodle dosa, Manchurian dosa, Pav bhaji dosa, and the list goes on.
Dosa is made in every household for breakfast and even as other meals; it fills you up and has great taste.
Here we have written everything about dosa tawa, which is needed to make the dosa. You will find types of tawa, comprehensive buyers guide, and our Top 10 Dosa Tawa in India that you can have a look at.
10 Best Dosa Tawa
Types of Tawa Material
You will find multiple options when it comes to dosa tawa. But it is necessary to select that best material so that it lasts longer and is durable.
Anodized aluminum tawa is a great conductor of heat and is considered somewhat nonstick, making it one of the options for dosa tawa.
Anodized Aluminum is obtained after dipping the Aluminum in an electrolyte bath and running an electric current through the metal.
This process protects the Aluminum from corrosion. After the whole process, you are left with a hard dark gray surface that is corrosion-free.
One great thing about cast iron pans is that it heats up gradually and then stays hot for quite a while. This makes it a great choice for making dosa.
It comes with a natural nonstick coating over time means it can be used for a long period. It can be quite heavy in weight, which can be an issue.
Aluminum as a metal is super lightweight, so the tawa made out of it will also be super lightweight and easy to handle.
The only downside of using Aluminium when cooking anything with alkaline food or acidic food will start to rust. But this works great for dosa.
Many regular pans come with a nonstick coating. This is just to be extra cautious that nothing sticks to the pan. They are very popular as cooking in them is easy, and food does not stick. Nonstick coating is necessary for making dosa.
Size and Thickness
To make dosa, you need a wider space, and that is why it is necessary to check the diameter of the tawa before purchasing.
You will find various tawa sizes in the market, the size range between 8 inches to 20 inches. Pick out a tawa that will suit your stove size as well. The average tawa size that is accepted widely is 16 inches.
Also, make sure of the thickness, you don’t want tawa to be too thick or else it will take too much time for it to get heated.
A nonstick tawa is needed if you want to make crispy Dosa more often. If you buy a low-quality nonstick tawa, then after a few uses, the coating might come off, which is dangerous for the health.
Invest in a high quality nonstick tawa for long-lasting durability and to get your money’s worth.
It Is necessary that you buy every cookware with heat-resistant handles. This will allow you to cook safely without burning your hand.
The same applies to dosa tawa, check if the handles are heat-resistant so you will be freely able to move the tawa even if it’s hot.
PFOA stands for polytetrafluoroethylene and is a chemical that was used in making the nonstick coating.
Later on, it was studied that this PFOA is actually not good for human health.
And so a new nonstick coating formula was used. It is essential to check if the tawa is PFOA free as it can affect you and your family’s health.
Dosa Tawas are not that expensive, and you will also find a good price range to choose from. Most tawa fall under this price range INR 1500 to INR 3000, which is quite affordable.
Don’t fall for the stereotype of the pricer the better; you can easily find a great quality dosa tawa under your budget.
Top 10 Best Dosa Tawa
1. Hawkins Futura Non-Stick Dosa Tawa
Hawkins is a very well known cookware company in India. Founded in 1959, it is one of the oldest companies that have been providing premium quality cookware to the Indian Household.
They manufacture cookware that will be suitable for every Indian dish, which is the main reason for its popularity.
- Its dimensions are – Diameter 33cm, thickness 4.88 mm
- The material used is Aluminum
- The tawa was manufactured using Hawkins’s unique patented process
- It can be used on a stove burner and electric top
- The tawa comes with high quality German nonstick coating that will allow you to cook the food nicely
- Tawa has a hard-anodized base, it allows faster and even cooking
- The high-quality nonstick coating will allow you to use oil-less
- It also comes with a wooden spatula to cook with and a plastic scrubber to clean with
- It also comes with a cookbook that has recipes for meals made with this tawa
- Not compatible with the induction cooktop
2. Anjali Platinum Flat Mutli Deluxe Tawa
Founded in the year 1974, Anjali kitchenware is an ISO certified company that provides top quality products. One such product by them is this Platinum flat deluxe tawa, made out of great material, and unique features will allow you to enjoy cooking the next time you do with Anjali deluxe tawa.
- Tawa’s dimensions are – 37.5 x 30 x 0.30 cm
- It weighs around 912 grams
- It is made using high-quality aluminum
- The tawa is flat without any edge which makes it ideal for dosa and Rotis
- Comes with a 3 nonstick coating technology so that the coat last longer
- It comes with a specially designed bottom which allows better heat efficiency
- It is 100% non-toxic and can be used in making meals safely
- It comes with scratch-resistant coating, in case you are using a metal spatula it won’t make any scratches
- It is lightweight and great for daily use
- It is quite thin and can bend easily
3. iBELL Non-Stick Tawa
iBell is an Indian company which was started in 2007. Over the years they have manufactured a huge range of products from electronics, personal grooming, kitchenware, garden tools, cleaning tools and so much more. Their aim is to provide products that offer comfort to its users.
Here we are taking a look at its non-stick tawa which is part of their cookware range.
- Tawa’s dimensions are 290 mm and thickness is 33 mm
- Tawa comes with a 3 layer non-stick coating and is durable for the long run
- It comes with Concave design which means that oil won’t run to the sides of the pan. This is will allow even cooking
- It is made of Aluminium and it offers high-grade non stick coating on it
- It comes with heat resistant bakelite handle, which means the handle won’t get hot while the tawa is on the stove
- It comes with a high glossy color exterior that gives it a sleek look
- It has a dot texture surface which gives the tawa a modern look
- Comes with a 6-month warranty
- It is prone to scratches as it’s not scratch resistant.
4. Wonderchef Granite Dosa Tawa
Wonderchef offers high-quality cookware products that are practical and pretty to look at. Founded by star chef Sanjeev Kapoor, the products have Italian design and material used are german. This makes them durable and top quality.
Here we are taking a look at Wonderchef Granite dosa tawa.
- Its diameter is 28 cm
- It is made out of pure grade aluminum and has non-stick coating to it
- It is compatible with most heating sources like stove, induction, hot plate, infrared cooktop, gas cooktop, ceramic cooktop. This makes it super versatile
- It comes with 5 layers professional-grade Metatuff non stick coating, which has been tested and won’t peel off
- It is PFOA free
- It comes with an ergonomic soft-touch handle that is stud welded so no food gets accumulated to maintain the hygiene
- Suitable for making a variety of dishes like dosa, uttapams, chillas, pizza, omelet, rolls, and much more
- The tawa has a granite finish for that sleek look
- It is easy to clean after use, it only requires warm soapy water to rinse off the residue of the meal
- It comes with a 2 year warranty period
- It is prone to scratches
5. Prestige Omega Deluxe Granite Omni Tawa
TTK Prestige is an Indian company that manufactures cookware products. Founded in the year 1955 Prestiges is known by many for its quality products that are now used in the family for decades.
One such great product by them is this Omega Deluxe Omni Tawa.
- The tawa has a diameter of 300 mm and thickness is 3 mm
- It is made out of Aluminium and has a nonstick coating
- It has 5 layer coat which consists of – Topcoat of PTFE that gives granite finish, 2 layers of Reinforced spatter coat which helps in keeping the tawa look new for a longer period, The Intermediate coat- This help with even heating The base coat works as an adhesive between nonstick coating and substrate.
- It has a granite finish for durability and a sleek look
- Comes with a heat-resistant handle for efficient cooking.
- It is dishwasher safe
- It comes with a superior nonstick coating that won’t peel off easily.
- It is metal spoon friendly
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It is not flat but has a little concave design due to which it leads to uneven cooking
6. Qualy Investo Cast Iron dosa Tawa
Qualy Investo is an Indian brand that manufactures kitchenware products. It offers products like cookware sets, vegetable slicers, tableware, and much more. Here we are checking out its Iron Cast Dosa Tawa
- The tawa’s diameters is 30 cm with a thickness of 6 mm and weigh 2 kilograms
- It is made of raw cast iron whos finishing is done by manual grinding machine
- It does not contain any added coating of enamel or cadmium
- It is a pre-seasoned tawa which makes sure that the tawa doesn’t get rust
- Cast iron has good heat retention power and due to thickness it stays hot for longer periods compared to other pans
- It is flat which allows the meal to get cooked faster
- Not suitable with an induction cooktop.
7. NIRLON Non Stick Cookware Dosa Tawa
Nirlon is a part of Unique Cookware India Pvt Ltd. It is one of the leading companies in nonstick cookware and stainless steel bottles. Nirlon nonstick tawa is a great option if you enjoy making crispy dosas often. It is made of the highest quality materials that make it long-lasting.
- The tawa has a diameter of 28 cm.
- It is made of high-grade Aluminum and stainless steel
- It comes with German coating which is superior in quality
- The nonstick coating on the pan is 100% safe and toxic-free
- The handles are insulated so it does not burn your hands while cooking
- It is PFOA free, which means it is chemical-free
- The handles are attached with rivets so it does not come off easily
- The handles are designed ergonomically for comfort and control
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- It is only compatible with gas stoves
8. Sumeet Non-Stick Cherry Cookware Set
Sumeet cookware is where you will find everything you need to start a kitchen. They offer Casserole, dinner plates, cookware sets, utensils. You name it and they have it. They offer great quality products at an affordable price.
- The tawa’s dimensions are 26.5 x 265 x 1.5 cm
- It’s a combo pack, comes with a dosa tawa and mini multi snack maker
- Tawa is made up of Aluminium and has a 3 layer nonstick coating
- The topcoat is for the durability of the coat, mid-coat acts as a protective and bonding layer, and the base-coat acts as a primer for durability
- It is PFOA chemical-free
- Attractive looks make it an appropriate choice for gifting
- It is easy to clean and handle
- The tawa offers even cooking which lowers gas consumption by 80% meaning it saves both time and money
- Not suitable for induction cooktops
9. Nakshathra Iron Dosa Tawa
If you are looking for an iron cast tawa to make dosas then we have the perfect product for you. Nakshathra dosa tawa is a traditional style large size iron cast will provide you with crispy Dosa every morning to start the day.
- The tawa’s diameter is 14 inches with a thickness of 5mm and it weighs 3.3kg
- It is a pre-treated tawa that does not contain any chemical coating
- Cast iron can retain the heat for a longer period meaning you can cook on it evenly without using more gas
- This particular tawa is called Kallu which is recommended for large families since it can allow people to cook for a longer time
- It is designed to make bigger dosa’s on it
- It can also be used in making chapatis, parathas, adai, akki roti, and many more items
- Comes with proper instruction manual along with it on how to use it
- It comes with a spatula
- It is quite heavy and not easy to move around
- Has an uncomfortable handle
10. Dynamic Cookware Cast Iron Dosa Tawa
Dynamic cookwares are safe and of great quality. They offer a huge range of cookware to choose from. Here we are taking a look at its Cast Iron tawa in detail.
The dosa tawa is made using the highest quality cast iron and has a nonstick coating, that helps you make the best dosas, and also the tawa lasts longer.
- The tawa has a diameter of 11 inches with a thickness of 5.5mm and weighs about 3 kg
- It is made of Cast iron and is machine polished which offers nonstick cooking and a clean look
- It is made using controlled metallurgy using technology which assures quality
- It is compatible with gas, induction, campfire, and convection
- When taken proper care it can last for a very long time
- It comes with 2 handles on the side for better grip
- Any type of spatula can be used for cooking
- Can not be used directly, need to follow the instruction given before using
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is dosa tawa?
Dosa tawa is none other than a large Pan. A pan in India is called tawa. Since making Dosa requires a good amount of space, tawas are made specifically for Dosa which are commonly referred to as Dosa tawa.
2. Can Dosa tawa be used to make chapattis?
Yes, dosa tawas are multipurpose. It can be used for rotis, parathas, uttapams. Investing in one good dosa tawa can be quite useful in the kitchen.
3. What to do if dosa is sticking to the tawa?
Normally, this is happening because the dosa tawa you are using does not have a good nonstick coating. Investing in a good quality nonstick tawa is a must. But for an instant fix, you can alter your dosa batter and make it a little thicker. This will prevent it from sticking to the base of the tawa.
4. Can you make dosa on Iron tawa?
Yes, dosa can be made on iron tawa. Iron tawa is used to make dosa traditionally, but it does require a few steps that need to be followed before starting.
Iron tawa needs to be sprinkled with saltwater first once it is brown, wiping it down and then applying a coat of oil on it. This is the process you need to follow before using an iron cast tawa.
Cast iron is great at retaining heat that is why it used when more amount of food needs to be made. That is why you must have seen dosa’s being made on iron tawa at any Indian wedding
5. Is Granite dosa tawa good for health?
Granite is generally used in making frying pans. They are made using stainless steel with glass coating and is considered safe. But you need to check if it does not have PFOA in it. PFOA is a chemical used in making non-stick coating but is harmful to health. Other than that granite tawa is safe enough to use.
In order to cook meals, it is necessary to have proper cookware. This allows the meal to cook properly and retain its nutrients and elements. Similarly, to make dosa, you need a good non-stick tawa that will allow you to make crispy Dosa without any hassle.
If you use regular tawa, then you will most likely face the issue of Dosa getting stuck to the base and getting burned. A nonstick coating makes it really easy to make dosa. Here we have listed our Top 10 recommended dosa tawas that you can have a look at and buy one for yourself.