Best Cycles For Boys
The kid’s bicycle industry is one of the most challenging places to get the most suitable item for your kid. This is as a result of the numerous types and models of bicycles that you can find readily in the market. In making choices for kid’s bikes, it is often determined by personal preference as it suits the child’s age and size.
You must have gotten your kid scooter but obviously, as they grow they need bigger cycle. A cycle is the best way to exhaust their energy in a good way. But you also have to make sure that they have all the necessary safety items like cycling gloves and helmet.
Notwithstanding that, other factors and features also have a part to play in this. Some of this includes the size of the wheels, the seat of the bicycles, the handlebar length and other essential items.
It is also important to note that the best bike for kids does not necessarily mean the most expensive bicycle or popular brands since they are equally high-quality bicycles that are budget-friendly and great.
Since buying a cycle online can become a tedious job, we have included a detailed guide to help parents make the right investment. In this guide, you will get to know about the types, stages of bicycling, Health Benefits of bicycling, safety precautions, buyers guide, frequently asked questions and the top 10 bicycles for boys.
Top 10 Cycles For Boys
Strong and Quality
Best Speed Baby Cycle
Best Smart Designed Bicycle
All Season Bicycle
Best Double Seat Cycle
Extreme Steering Lockout
Adjustable Seat and Affordable
Robust Steel Frame
Different Stages of Bicycling
Navigation the world of kids bicycle riding is the same with how babies learn to crawl before walking. The infant starts from the first pedals of a tricycle before getting to the stage of a two-wheel cycle. Here are the different stages a child should take in riding a bicycle.
This is the first stage a child will take.It is suitable for a child within the ages of 2 to 5 years. Plastic tricycles and other conventional trikes are ideal for kids within the age bracket. This is the first stage of testing their motor skills.
The training wheels
This is suitable from age 5 to 6 years. This stage or phase can last for some couple of months or a few years. This is dependent on the rate of the child’s development and coordination. With time the parent can begin to elevate the training wheels in other to build the child’s confidence and strength until they show mastery of balance and eye-hand coordination.
The Single speed stage
This is the stage where the child is not yet ready for hand brakes and gears. The kid is between the ages of 6 to 9, and the hands are not yet stronger and larger. The child two-wheeler needs to be one speed with a foot brake. At this stage, the child is not ready to ride on a busy street but in a driveway or along a park path accompanied by a supervisor, caregiver, parents or an adult.
At this stage, the child is developed mentally enough to ride on a larger cycle that comes with suspension forks, hand brakes, and gears. From the age of 9 upwards, they can now be riding on quiet streets or school if you feel they are matured and developed enough to do that.
Health Benefits of Bicycling
Kids cycling is an excellent way for kids to stay healthy and also a fun-filled activity. Since cycling is one of the outdoor sports that gives them a feeling of independence, children often look forward to these activities. Here are some benefits of bicycle riding for boys kid
Development of the child cardiovascular muscles
For the development of the child’s muscles and legs, cycling is the ideal option. Bicycling is an excellent workout for this. While the leg muscles are exercised, the heartbeat and rate increases and accelerate the baby’s body stamina. Cycling exercises build the cardiovascular muscles and keep the baby’s weight in check.
To relieve stress
One other significant health benefit of bicycling is that it is an excellent stress buster. After a stressful day in school and completely tired, riding a bicycle can go a long way in reducing the stress.
Burning up calories
Like we stated initially, bicycling is a great way to burn off fat. Obese kids can quickly burn off calories while having fun on the bike.
Bicycles exercise is an excellent way to live a healthy life? It helps to strengthen the heart, lungs, and also to lower the kid’s body muscles and bones
To Strengthens the Baby Emotional Wellness
One sure way of enhancing a child’s emotional wellness and boost confidence is through cycling. Through cycling, the child starts getting aware of their surroundings and start becoming assertive. This confidence helps them when they are alone without fear of helplessness.
Family can easily bond when parents accompany their children during cycling. It helps to create some finding memories that can last for years.
Enhances Socializing Skills
Through cycling, a kid can develop great socializing skills with other children around the neighborhood. With this, other social skills such as communication skills can also be developed.
It keeps them active
With cycling, the child keeps busy instead of being indoors always. It keeps the blood active, reduce obesity and bring them outdoors. This tends to keep them more active while with friends and school.
Safety Precaution in Riding a Cycle for Kids
Cycling is known to come with numerous benefits that keep them healthy and safe, but some safety precaution should be followed while cycling. Here are some safety precautions kids should follow while riding to avoid injury during accidents.
- Make sure that the bicycle follows international safety standards.
- It is necessary to also go for a bicycle that comes with a stabilizer wheel for beginners
- Make sure that your kids put on a safety cycling helmets while riding
- Make sure that the cycle is fully serviced regularly in other for it to function at its peak
- Prevent them from riding in a rough environment to prevent fatal injury as a result of a fall
- Ensure that the child is familiar with every part of a bicycle, and tips on how to take care of it in case of emergency.
Types of Kids Bicycles
Kids bicycles come in different models and types. This makes it suitable and ideal for a different set of children not minding their ages or sizes. Here are some types of cycles in the Indian market
This is one of the fundamentals of these cycles. Balance bikes come in 12-inch wheel size and are ideal for kids not older than two years old. The balance bikes come with two-wheel without any pedals, and it allows children to sit and coast.
This is necessary for the development of balance and the skill that will be needed to ride a conventional bicycle.
12-inch kids bicycles
When we are looking for a cycle for kids between 2 to 4 years old, then 12-inch kid’s bike is the ideal one. This 12-inch bikes come with training wheels and might come with a push steer that can keep the child assisted or to direct the child when needed.
16-inch kids bicycles
This types of the cycle are suitable for kids aged between 3 to 6 years old. This bicycle often comes with training wheels with no gears. This is because the child by this age should have developed great strength that is needed for riding.
20-inch kids bicycles
The 20-inch kid’s bikes are ideal for children within the ages of 6 to 10 years. This is the perfect size for a BMX wheel. Most 20-inch size bicycle does not come with gear. One unique thing about the 20-inch kid bicycle is that it is lighter and quite comfortable to ride.
Others might come with gear if the child is more experienced and coordinated. It also comes with a suspension that is needed for better handling and comfort.
24-inch kids bicycles
This is suitable for children between the ages of 8 to 13 years old. It is designed in a way that is suitable for mountain bike climbing. It comes with some unique features such as suspension forks stronger tires, and gears.
This is the second to the largest types of kid’s bikes in the market. This cycle can also come with a low standover height that can allow the child to reach the ground while riding easily.
26-inch kids bicycles
This bicycle model is suitable for taller kids within the ages of 9 to 13 years. It typically comes with features such as suspension forks and gears. Now taller kids above 148 cm now have an option for a bike that will keep them comfortable.
This junior frame style bicycle also comes with extra features such as an easy to reach brake lever and some other kid-friendly features that make it a preferred choice to a small adult frame option.
Buyer’s Guide for Boys Cycle
In buying kids cycles for boys, it is necessary to consider some critical factors and features while making a decision. It is important to know that boys and girls needs are different when making a buying decision. Therefore, we would be talking you through some vital features to look out for when getting these cycles.
The child’s weight
The weight restriction is an essential factor to be considered when buying a kid cycle for kids. This is necessary if you want the bike to last for long. Kids cycles come in different styles and models that can suit different child’s weight. It is necessary to consider the weight before buying so as not to keep them uncomfortable.
Different cycles come with different types of tires. Pneumatic tires are one of the most comfortable types of tires a child can ride on. These tires are suitable for riding over rough places and bumps. Other good tires also exist in the market that one can still choose from depending on preference.
Make sure that the handlebar of the bicycle can turn freely. A ball bearing is easier to turn and ideal if the child is a beginner on road bicycles. Other types of steering such as plain bearing steering are also in the market.
Your child’s taste
Your child’s taste is one other important factor to consider when purchasing a bicycle. Go for one that matches the personality and style of the child. Allow them to choose the color and style while you pick the core features such as bearing, size, wheels, and quality.
An adjustable seat is a good plus in buying a child’s bicycle. With an adjustable seat, the child’s leg can bend slightly at the bottom when pedaling.
The size of the bicycles is essential when selecting one. Without the right size, the child will not be comfortable while riding or pedaling. Children bikes are size by the wheel and come in the following categories (12?, 16?, 20? and 24?).
Make sure that while they are riding, their knees should not be hitting the handlebars and should not be stretched out in a way that won’t be able to turn the handlebars easily.
Price is an essential factor to consider when buying a bicycle for kids. Costly ones are not usually the best, but it is likely that heavy built ones are generally cheaper. The more expensive one is often made of alloy metals to compare to cheaper ones made of steels.
Some other designed bicycles come with some dangerous and rough parts. This designs can harm the child if they fall forward. Look out for cycles with a great design in the spiky gear shift and those that come with large bolts. Make sure that cycles without a derailleur should come with a mounted chain guards
This is one of the essential mechanical parts of a bicycle. It is essential to allow the child to have control over the bike. Children bike often come with either a coaster brake that is on the back wheel which can be engaged by pedaling backward and a handbrake that is engaged by the grip on the handlebars.
It is necessary that the brakes are in good condition. Parents are also advised to go for a cycle with a coaster brake since the child’s hands might be too small or not strong enough to use a handbrake effectively.
It is also necessary that the front wheel has a safety mechanism to prevent the nut on the axle come loose easily. Also make sure that the hub, rim, and spokes are made from metal.
Go for frames that are strong enough to handle moderate abuse. The frame should be in proper alignment by checking a couple of meters in front or behind the bike and if both wheels are still in the same plane.
1. Viva RYDE On 26T Single Speed Cycle – Our Pick
The Viva Ryde cycle is a well-designed kids cycle for boys. It is suitable for the development of the Child’s strength as well as the fun of fun. The bicycle is made from a steel frame with a V Brakes (MIG).
- The cycle pedal is made from a plastic material
- The Viva Ryde comes with a sealed cartridge bottom bracket
- It comes in a steel frame with V Brakes (MIG)
- It comes with a steel fork that is threaded with V Brakes
- It comes with a steel mounted side stand
- It comes with a Hindustan 26*1.95 tires
- It comes with a double wall Alloy Rims
- It has a steel V brakes
- It has a frame size of 19 inches
- It has a 44T cotterless crankset with guard
- A direct pull brake type
- It comes with a single speed rating
- The cycle comes with a rigid suspension
- It comes with a 26 inches wheel
- It is lightweight and easy to carry about
- Many users have appreciated its quality
- The bicycle comes with a reflector so you can safely ride at the night
- It does not come with a mudguard
- A few users found the seat to be too small
2. Hero Blast 20T Single Speed Cycle – Strong and Quality
This is another variant of the Hero bicycle. As we all know hero kids cycle are widely known because of its quality and strength. It is a single speed cycle that is delivered in a self-assembled condition. One unique feature that makes this product to stand out is that it comes with an Allen Key and Spanner that will be needed for the installation of the remaining parts.
- The cycle has a frame size of 12 inches and ire size of 20 inches
- This cycle is suitable for kids within the ages of 6 to 7 years
- It has a rigid suspension
- The box comes with an Allen Key and Spanner
- It comes 85 percent assembled
- The frame is made from steel materials
- The cycle comes with a caliper front and rear brakes
- It comes with a minimum rider height of 4 feet and a maximum of 5 feet
- It comes in attractive colors and prints
- A beautiful cycle that comes at an affordable price.
- It comes with a stand and mudguard
- Very durable 20T tire size
- Users have loved its quality
- It does not come with a horn/bell, a carrier and a front and side reflectors
3. Hero Freak 14T Single Speed Cycle – Rigid Suspension
This is one of the most favorite single speed hero cycle for kids that one can find in the Indian market. It comes in a semi-assembled condition which makes it quite easy to install. The product package comes with an Allen key and spanner in the box to aid for ease in installation
- It comes with a tire size of 14 inches
- It has a frame size of 10 inches
- Suitable for kids within the ages of 4 to 5 years
- It has a minimum rider height of 2.5 feet and a maximum rider height of 3.5 feet
- It comes with a rigid suspension
- It comes 85 percent assembled
- The product package box comes with Spanners and Allen key
- The bicycle comes with caliper brakes at the front and rear
- 10. The bicycle comes with Mudguard, Trainer Wheel.
- It has a wheel size of 14 inches
- It comes with a chain cover
- A nice product
- The product has a great quality
- It does not come with a Front Reflectors/Rear Reflectors, Stand, Carrier, lock, and horn
- The bicycle chain comes off easily.
4. Speed bird cycle – Best Speed Baby Cycle
The speed bird cycle is a stunning bike for kids that s manufactured in Delhi India. It is designed based on the various requirements and specifications of a child. This bike creates this special bond between the child and the bike due to its stylish design.
- The bicycle comes with an extended basket
- Suitable for kids between the ages of 3 to 6 years old
- Comes with different ranges of bike seats and trailers
- The bicycle comes with an attractive carrier
- It comes with an unbreakable mounded rims
- It also has a mounded anti-skid body pedal
- It comes with a Mig welded steel frame
- It helps to build the child’s confidence and fitness at an early age
- The bicycle guarantees high durability and strength
- Assembling is a bit difficult
5. R for Rabbit Tiny Toes Jazz Bicycle – Best Smart Designed Bicycle
This is a safe and secured bicycle that is fully certified with ISO 8098 safety certification. This makes it suitable for the child to ride on while having fun. To prevent it from harming the child – the bicycle comes with a chain guard to prevent it from injuring the child.
It is suitable for children between the ages of 4 to 7 years as it comes with 16 inches/T wheel. It is very easy to assemble as the bicycle already comes 95 percent assembled.
- Fully certified with ISO 8098 safety certification
- The cycle comes with a safety grips, fully enclosed chain guard, disk brakes and heavy-duty training wheels.
- Plug and play Smart design
- The bicycle comes with an easy to install process of 3 steps or 5 minutes.
- The product comes with a Magnesium Alloy Structure that makes it lightweight but sturdy
- The bicycle is rust or corrosion free
- The bicycle comes with rear disc brake
- It comes with a scalable frame structure of up to 8 cm
- It comes with a size of 16 inches, 16 ft.
- It comes with a wide rubber wheels
- Suitable for rough roads due to its strong grips to the ground
- It comes with an adjustable seat and front handle height
- Easily adjustable
- It comes with a very comfortable seat
- The seat and handlebar are adjustable, and that allows the child to use it till they get to 7 years old
- It comes with a long mudguard
- The cycle comes with a low-quality mudguard
- One other disadvantage of this product is that the front wheel support and handlebar are made from plastics
- Some users complained of missing nuts and screws
6. Rising India Kids Bicycle – All Season Bicycle
With the rising India 14? kids bicycle, the child can have fun while exercising. It is suitable for kids between the ages of 3 to 5 years old. It comes with a very soft and comfortable seat and back support.
It is designed using steel material, and this makes it safe for kids to ride on. It is manufactured in India and can be used in all seasons of the year. It is durable and expected to last for a long time.
- Comes with a basket to hold the child’s toys
- Suitable for kids between the ages of 3 to 5 years
- It has a length of 44 inches
- The product package contains all the accessories which need to be fixed.
- It comes with 1 cycle, 1 handle, 1 front basket, 1 pair of brakes, 1 seat, 1 pair of a paddle, 1 pair of plastic training wheels, handle foam, 1 pair of handle grip, 1 Seat backrest and mudguard clumps.
- Can be used throughout all seasons
- It comes with a tubeless rubber tire
- This cycle is specially made and designed for kids comfortability while riding
- Very attractive
- The bicycle comes in a self-assembled stage
- Very sturdy, made from steel material
- The package does not come with tools and manuals
- Past users complained of brake cable not functioning properly
7. Amardeep cycles – Best Double Seat Cycle
The Amardeep cycles are a double seat kid’s bicycle that makes the children playtime more fun and keeps the children more active. This sporty bike is designed with some great and progressive features that make it fanciful.
It comes with a V-Shape brake and an EVA tires. It is a comfortable soft saddle and allows the child to build up the fitness and strength.
- It comes with a Moulded anti-skid body pedal
- High strength and durability
- It comes with attractive carriers
- The bicycle also comes with a basket to hold the child’s essentials
- It has a sturdy side balancing wheels
- It comes with an extra raised ar grips
- The mega wheels are unbreakable
- The bicycle comes in a semi-assembled form
- Included components include side wheels, lock, spanner, pedals, bell, handle and seat.
- A great quality product
- Comes with the most essential items for the child’s safety
- It also comes with a tubeless tires
- Requires professionals for the assembling of the remaining items
8. AHOY Cycle – Extreme Steering Lockout
This is one bicycle that is delivered fitted and ready to ride. It just requires a few steps as seen in the instructional manual that the package comes with to start using. It is suitable for kids within the ages of 7 to 10 years and a height of 4.2? to 4.9?.
It is safe to use due to the lockout feature that it comes with. This helps to protect the child from falling off as a result of extreme steering of the handle.
- The bicycle comes with a single speed drivetrain to help in easy pedaling
- The cycle comes with specially designed wide pedals to prevent riders from slipping while riding.
- It has a 20-inch bicycle size
- Ideal for children within the ages of 7 to 10 years
- The cycle comes with a steering lockout
- It comes with a height adjustable cushion saddle
- Soft and comfortable cushion
- The Ahoy kids bicycle comes with a reinforced saddle
- It comes with a stop easy rim brakes
- Made from steel materials
- It comes with a handlebar and grips
- The cycle comes with an ultra-reliable V-Brakes
- The bicycle comes with a chain guard to cover the crank, freewheel, chain and other moving parts.
- It comes with an inflatable inner tubes
- The tire is designed for better traction
- Great quality product
- It is budget friendly
- Delivered fitted and ready to use
- Side wheel gets easily broken
9. HelloBikes Boys Bicycle – Adjustable Seat and Affordable
The HelloBikes is a high-end bicycle for kids. It comes with a 16 inch and suitable for boys within the ages of 4 to 8 years old. The cycle comes with a frame size of 10 inches plus an option for extension to 7 inches.
It is safe and stable, and this makes riding fun. To prevent the child from getting hurt or pinched finger, the product comes with fully enclosed chain guards, heavy-duty training wheels, safety grips, and a power V-Brakes.
- It comes with a wide 2.2 training wheels
- The cycle comes with an adjustable seat and front handle height from 1 to 7 inches
- It comes with a high tensile steel structure
- It is light in weight with high strength
- The cycle is Corrosion and Rust free.
- It comes with a scalable frame
- Plug N play
- Suitable for kids within the ages of 4 to 8 years
- It has a minimum rider height of 2.5 feet and a maximum rider height of 4 feet
- TUV tested grips and saddle
- The Kids friendly sticker all over the body of the cycle makes it attractive
- It comes at a reasonable price
- It comes with a bell
- Installation takes a little time if it’s your first time
- The package does not come with a spanner
10. NEYSA Globate Kids Steel Bicycle – Robust Steel Frame
This cycle comes with a front disc and suspension that makes it suitable for kids between the ages of 6 to 11 years old. Cycle pedaling for the kids helps to keep them fit and active all day long.
- It comes with a molded crank
- The bicycle is designed with a disc brake type
- It is made from a steel frame
- It has a suspension fork
- It comes with a front disc and rear V brakes
- It comes with six speed
- Made of steel frame and so lasts long
- Reasonable price
- No negative point about the product
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does high budget equal high quality always?
No. But something more expensive bikes may come with better and more accessories. Some low budget cycles are of excellent quality and safe
2. Can I trust a used cycle for my kid?
For parents on a budget, buying a second-hand bicycle might not be an issue as long as they are still in good working condition. It is better to get a quality used bike at a lower price or the same price than a new low-quality one.
3. My kid prefers a new cycle, and I am on a budget
It is expected that kids will mostly love and prefer a shiny new cycle not minding if it is of low quality, but you won’t want to be buying a new bicycle every time. You can sweeten the offer by getting to decorate the pre-used cycle with fanciful stickers and paint before getting it home.
4. Does size matter?
Size is important when selecting a bicycle for your child. Every child is different and should fall into a category based on their age. Here is a snippet of the various bike sizes
3-5 years 30cm/12in
6-8 years 40cm/16in
9-11 years 50cm/20in
5. How will I know that the size is ideal for my child?
To determine if the cycle for boy kid is the ideal one for your child, then it is important to look out for the following.
- The child can comfortably sit on the saddle, and both feet can easily rest on the ground
- The child can easily reach the handlebars with a slight bend of the arm while sitting on the bike seat
- Can straddle the top bar of the cycle with about 3 to 5 cm clearance and with the feet flat on the ground
- You child can grasp the handbrake if the cycle comes with one
6. Where do I look out for the digits for the size?
Like we stated initially, size matters and bicycle sizes are based on the wheel diameter. These digits are usually found on the cycle wheels. It is often in cm or inches depending on the manufacturer.
7. What do I need to know about the cycle brakes?
Your kid’s bike comes with a least two braking systems. It may be a back pedal brakes that are activated when one pedal backward or the handbrake for the front wheels.
8. Which brake system is safer for my child?
Backpedal brakes are seen as the safest option for the child most especially younger ones that are not strong enough to operate or grasp the handbrake firmly.
9. Which wheel is better for a child cycle?
The aluminum steel rims are better not minding that the shiny chrome steel rim might look more captivating.
10. How can I know the difference between both wheels?
The two might look alike but can be easily differentiated with the use of a magnet. For aluminum wheels, it won’t stick.
11. Should I go for a cycle with gear?
This is dependent on how good a cyclist your child is. It is better to go for a bicycle without gear for infants or beginners while the grown-up kid can go for one with gears.
Cycle for boys are unique in its design and make and a good way of developing the child’s stamina, balance, and independence. When purchasing a bike, it is necessary to look out for those that suit your child’s age and size and also their style. From our expert review, we selected Viva RYDE On 26T Single Speed Cycle, Hero Blast 20T Single Speed Cycle and Hero Freak 14T Single Speed Cycle. These few bicycles for boys can be trusted because of their strength and designed made by focusing on safety.