8 Best Cooking Oils in India
Cooking oil is considered the base for any dish. We start by adding some oil to the pan and later goes in all the vegetables and spices. It is believed that in the 1940s, a region in Gujarat named Saurashtra had the first-ever extraction plants to extract oil from groundnut. Since then, there are many oil mills in India to meet up with the cooking oil requirement within the country.
There are different types of cooking oils to choose from – Mustard oil, sunflower seed oil, groundnut oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil, and safflower oil. These are a few of the commonly used in the Indian household. There’s a new trend of using olive oil among the health-conscious ones. Each of these has a peculiar smell and gives a specific taste to a meal.
With so many options comes the confusion. We have written this article just for you to know the specialty and health benefit that comes with each of these oils, as well as a buyer’s guide to go through. Lastly, we have also mentioned Top 8 cooking oils that, according to us, are the best cooking oil available in India right now and we have also answered a few commonly asked questions.
Top 8 Best Cooking Oils In India
Benefits of including the oil in cooking
Mustard oil is commonly known as ‘ Saurso ka tel’, comes from mustard seeds. This oil is commonly used in the Northern and Eastern parts of India. It has a lot of good properties and can help with immunity, oral health, and cold.
Source of MUFA – it stands for Monounsaturated Fatty Acids. Our body needs MUFA, and mustard oil is the best source for it. It helps in lightening the skin, prevents graying of the hair, and good for the overall health of your hair.
Better blood circulation – Mustard oil is used as a massage oil, and according to Ayurveda it helps in cleansing of the body and improves the blood circulation.
Great for the heart – It is high in MUFA; hence it lowers cholesterol and maintains blood fat levels, which are good for the heart. When compared to sunflower oil, mustard oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which helps in lowering heart-related risks.
Good for hair and skin – Mustard oil is used by many as a hair oil to promote hair growth because it contains beta-carotene. When it is massaged on the scalp, it improves the blood circulation as well. Mustard oil also contains Vitamin E, which is great for the skin. It helps in reducing fine lines.
Coconut oil, as the name, suggests originating from the coconut itself. Since the southern part of India has more coconut trees, they use coconut oil in their dinners. Coconut oil is additionally famous as hair oil all through India.
Useful for Blood Sugar and Diabetes – Coconut oil can deal with insulin opposition in the body just as help with weight.
Accommodating Alzheimer’s – Coconut oil has an MCFA segment, which helps in retaliating Alzheimer’s ailment.
Extraordinary for absorption and liver – Coconut oil watches our liver against any harm as well as urinary tract infection. It helps in detoxing toxins and absorb things like nutrients and magnesium in our bodies.
Sunflower seed oil
Sunflower seed oil originates from sunflower seeds and is used throughout the country. The sunflower seed oil has linoleic acid, a polyunsaturated fat, oleic acid, and monounsaturated fat. The body needs oil in 3:1 ration, and sunflower seed oil helps in maintaining it.
Useful for your skin
Sunflower oil is a huge source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E, which helps in getting glowing skin. It helps in fighting fine lines and acts as anti-aging.
The unsaturated fats present in sunflower oil can act as a stimulant. It helps the release of glycogen into the blood system from the liver. Glycogen is a kind of sugar that gives an additional increase in vitality.
Rice bran oil
Rice bran oil comes from rice grain which has the external covering. Back in days, bran was simply considered as waste, but later on, people understood its significance and how good it is for our health. Rice bran oil is considered one of the healthier options among other oil.
Maintains glucose levels
Rice bran oil helps with glucose levels by improving insulin, a hazard factor for type 2 diabetes Insulin brings down glucose by moving sugar into the cells.
Promotes good heart
Rice bran oil helps with cholesterol levels, which later on affects our heart. Rice Bran oil altogether brings down LDL (bad cholesterol) while boosting HDL (great cholesterol).
Olive oil comes from olives and is one of the most well-known cooking oils throughout the globe. It is mainly used in Italian food and also as dressing on the salad. It is also considered super healthy hence it is used by many.
Olive oil helps with boosting intestinal immunity by changing microbes in the gut. Olive oil has calcium, potassium, polyphenols, tocopherols, squalene, terpenic acids, and also antioxidants, which are great for the body.
Helps with depression
Studies show that virgin olive oil has the properties that help our nervous system fight back the depression and anxiety.
Groundnut oil originates from peanuts, which develop in huge numbers in India. Groundnut oil is one of the popular cooking oil, and in states like Gujarat and Maharashtra, most of the population use groundnut oil for cooking.
Source of unsaturated fats
Groundnuts contain 40 to 50 percent fat, and a tablespoonful of the oil produced contains 13.5 grams of fat. This fat happens as various sorts of unsaturated fats, for example, oleic corrosive, linoleic corrosive, stearic corrosive, and so forth.
Vitamin E present in the groundnut oil is great for our skin, making it look youthful and glowy. It also helps with maturing, wrinkles, and scars.
Cottonseed oil is a regularly utilized vegetable oil that is gotten from the seeds of cotton plants. Entire cottonseed contains around 15 to 20 percent oil.
Useful for skin
Cottonseed oil contains a high source of vitamin E, unsaturated fats, and it also has numerous other advantages for your skin such as fight .against maturing of skin, pigmentation, and puffiness of the skin.
It is yet to be confirmed, but many doctors believe that the cottonseed oil and gossypol have anti-cancer properties and can be useful in fighting against it.
Canola oil comes from the canola plant. It is high in solid unsaturated fats. Among the oils devoured by and large, canola oil has the most noteworthy substance of omega-3 unsaturated fat and alpha-linolenic corrosive (ALA), coming a nearby second to flaxseed oil. Although it has all the above properties, canola oil is not widely used.
Great for cooking
Canola oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fats, which make it the most beneficial cooking oil out there.
Control cholesterol levels.
Canola oil has 7 percent soaked fat, which helps cut cholesterol levels when cholesterol levels are maintained, it is good for the heart.
Great for skin
It is a great source of vitamin E and K, which helps in the lightening of the skin as well as fights off maturing skin signs like break out, scarcely discernible differences, wrinkles, imperfections, and spots.
Usage of the oil
Oil can be used in 2 different ways. First is that oil is used as a base, and second is oil used a dressing. Analyze what kind of meals you have on a daily basis; if you have Indian meals, then you need mustard oil, sunflower seed oil, or any oil similar to them.
If your diets include salads more then you need olive oil as the dressing. Once you are clear where you will be using oil, most then it will be much easier to select one.
You can find oil in the pouch, cans, bottles, and even containers. Most Indian families invest in a huge 1-5 liter of oil because even if you use only 2-3 tablespoon of oil, it is needed every day. But this also depends on the size of the family.
If you are a bachelor, then a pouch will be just enough. Make sure to know how much oil will you need before purchasing.
Get an Oil dispenser
Normally you can get oil with the packaging of simple cap bottles and then store the oil in any container of yours. But when you buy an oil dispenser, you just start using the oil from the bottle.
Investing in an oil dispenser is a great idea because then you won’t be spilling oil every time you have to use the oil.
Oil versus spray
You can get oil in 2 types—regular oil and in a spray. Regular oil is great for shallow frying or deep frying. It is also used in regular cooking when you only need a spoonful of it.
Spray oil, on the other hand, is a safer option but not that useful. You can spray a pan with it and do the cooking, but it cannot be used for deep frying.
Before purchasing any oil, make sure to check its shelf life and expiry date. Most oils have a shelf life of 9-10 months.
In case you buy expired oil, it will surely emit a bad odor and affect your meal as well. Checking the expiry date should be a habit while buying any food-related items.
Oily food and health do not go well together. We all enjoy crunchy fried food, but if it affects our health, we should stop. If you have any medical conditions such as cholesterol or any heart disease, it is advised not to eat oil food. But there is an alternative; there are few oils that are considered healthy such as rice bran oil and olive oil.
Check with you and your family’s health before purchasing any oil. Investing in healthy oil will not only be good for health, but it will also allow them to eat tasty homemade food.
8 Best Cooking Oils
1. Aadhar Refined Sunflower Oil
Aadhar has provided us with premium quality oil over the years. Aadhar refined oil adds an extra something to the meal as well gives out great adour. That is why it is loved many.
Here we are taking a look at Aadhar refined sunflower oil and all its features in detail.
- Comes in a 1-liter pouch as well as a 5-liter container
- The shelf life of the oil is nine months.
- Rich in Vitamin A – provides a healthy immune system, good for eyes, and good bone health.
- Vitamin D – provides healthy bones, helps from any flu.
- Vitamin E – great for skin, helps with the immune system.
- One of the most affordable oils in the market.
- 1-liter pouch is convenient as well as portable.
- The orange color of the oil may not be a positive point for many.
2. Saffola Gold, Pro Healthy Lifestyle Oil
Saffola is a part of the Marico group and is a health care company. Saffola produces Saffola oil, Saffola foods, and Saffola food for special dietary use.
For many years Saffola has offered different types of oil such as sunflower seed oil, rice bran oil, and much more. Here we are taking a look at Saffola gold, pro healthy lifestyle oil.
- Available in a 1-liter pouch, 2liter bottle, and 5-liter container.
- It is a mixture of rice bran oil – 70% and sunflower oil – 30%
- It comes with an improved anti-oxidant system contains oryzonal.
- It has Vitamin A – which is great for eyes, bones, and immunity.
- Also Vitamin D – promotes healthy strong bones.
- It promotes a healthy lifestyle for a healthy heart
- Has MUFA & PUFA – it stands for monounsaturated fatty acid and polyunsaturated fatty acid which is essential for our body.
- You get benefits of 2 oils together
- No negative points were observed so far.
3. Borges Canola Oil
Borges company founded in the year 1896 is one of the oldest companies in the world. It offers a huge range of products from oils, pasta, sauces to many other things.
It has its presence in over 100 countries and is considered one of the top brands when it comes to providing premium oil. Here we are taking a look at Borges canola oil.
- You buy between 750 ml bottle, 1 liter, and 2-liter bottles as well.
- It is a huge source of Omega – 3 – which is great for the heart, the brain as well as eyes.
- It has the lowest saturated fat and lowers bad cholesterol.
- You don’t need to buy another container and start using straight from the bottle.
- It is versatile and delicate won’t have major effects on health.
- It is considered great for infant’s brain development and so mom-to-be’s are advised to have canola oil.
- No negative points were observed.
4. Del Monte Extra Light Olive Oil PET
Del Monte was founded in the year 1886 and always been innovative in providing great quality food. They offer a wide range of products from oil, to canned food, veggie bowls, sauces, pasta, and much more.
Del Monte is considered one of the top brands when it comes to olive oil. Here we are reviewing Del Monte extra light olive oil in detail.
- You can select from 1 liter, 2 liters, and a 5-liter bottle.
- It is made in Spain and is suitable for everyday Indian cooking.
- Has zero trans fat and zero cholesterol keeping us healthy.
- It also contains anti-oxidants which helps with protects our cell.
- Can be used directly, no need for another storage container
- Great for salad dressing, sauteing, baking, and marinating.
- Not the best choice for deep frying.
5. Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil, 5L
Fortune is a part of the Adani group. Fortune was founded in the year 2000 and the first product it produced was edible oil.
Now years later, they have a huge product range from oils, rice, pulses, sean, atta, soya, and even ready to cook meals. Fortune has earned its name in the Indian market because of its quality oil. Here we are reviewing Fortune rice bran healthy oil.
- It comes in a 5-liter container.
- Its ingredients are physically refined rice bran oil, permitted Anti-oxidants, permitted Anti-foaming agent, Vitamin A, and D- which is great for eyes, bones, and immunity.
- It is a cholesterol-lowering oil which is good for the heart.
- Rice bran is considered one of the healthier oil.
- It improves HDL( good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) ration in the body.
- It has MUFA & PUFA, which helps in cleaning blood vessels.
- No negative points were found.
6. Dhara Groundnut Oil Pouch, 1L
Dhara has been the number one choice for many families for the past 2 decades. According to a study, Dhara is the most trusted brand in the edible oil category. You can expect all sorts of oil such as groundnut, rice bran, sunflower seed, mustard, and even refined soybean oil. Here we are reviewing Dhara groundnut oil.
- You can get it in 1-liter pouch, 5 liters can and even 15-liter tin
- It has a shelf life of 8 month
- It uses low absorb technology to make sure that the food is not too oily.
- It is a rich source of vitamin A – which promotes good eyes and better immunity and Vitamin D – for stronger bones.
- It has a balanced source of SFA, MUFA & PUFA which are essential for our body.
- This oil is quite affordable
- No negative points found.
7. Patanjali Fortified Mustard Oil, 1L
Patanjali Ayurveda company was founded by Balkrishna Ramdev in the year 2006, and since then, it has taken over the Indian market. They offer everything from organic biscuits to atta noodles, and herbal juices like vera and amla juices.
They even have face washes and shampoo that are made out of herbal products. Here we are reviewing Patanjali fortified mustard oil.
- It comes in a 200ml bottle, 500ml bottle, 1l container, and 5l container
- It a Kacchi Ghani oil means cold-pressed extraction process was used to remove oil from the seeds.
- It is rich in Vitamin D – great for strong and healthy bones and Vitamin A -which is great for eyes as well as keeps the heart-healthy.
- The packaging is a bottle, so you don’t need another container.
- This oil is great for arthritis, fights bacterial infection, and improves blood circulation.
- The packaging quality is not great, the plastic used is low quality and weak.
8. Organic India Virgin Coconut Oil, 500ml
Organic India is a company whose aim is to provide all organic products to the users. They offer a huge range of products that include herbal supplements, oils, tea and infusions, packed food, and body care products. One such product by them we are reviewing here us Organic India virgin coconut oil.
- It comes in a 500ml jar, which is super portable.
- It is virgin coconut oil, which means it is not bleached, deodorized, or refined. This makes it pure.
- Shelf life is of 12 months.
- Its only ingredient is raw cold-pressed extracted and centrifuged coconut oil.
- It has less than 0.01 trans fat making it a healthy option as trans fats are considered bad for health.
- It helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine system.
- It also helps in increasing the metabolic rate in the body.
- It is expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is the healthiest cooking oil?
There are various types of cooking oil available but if you are looking for oil which is considered healthy due to their properties then here is the list
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Sesame oil
- Avacado oil
- Safflower oil
- Peanut oil
2. What is vegetable oil?
Vegetable oil, also called vegetable fat, are the oil that comes from seeds and sometimes from parts of fruits. Canola, peanut, avocado oil all are great examples of vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is edible, and oil that is not edible is considered a mineral.
3. Is vegetable oil better than olive oil?
Both of them are a great choice, and it depends on the type of meal you are cooking. Vegetable oil has a high smoke point, so it is a great choice to cook a meal at high temperatures. Whereas olive oil has a low smoke point, so if you are planning on cooking a meal at low-temperature olive oil is the best option.
Food is part of our life, and we cook every day. We learn new recipes every now and then so that we get to have tasty, healthy meals for us as well as the whole family.
Oil is an inseparable part of cooking, and having a great cooking oil is just as important. There are various types of oil to choose from, but it mainly depends on your cooking style.
If you are someone who enjoys healthy meals, the oils like canola and olive are the best choice, whereas if you indulge in deep frying more often, then choosing peanut oil or sunflower oil sounds great. In this article, we have listed our Top 9 recommended products from which you can select the one that suits you best and make wonderful meals. Happy cooking!