5 Best Coconut Oil for Hair and Cooking
Coconut oil is the most versatile oil in the world. It seems like every other day, someone is coming up with new and genius ways to use coconut oil.
Do you want silky, smooth, long, and thick hair? Apply coconut oil on your hair! Want to get rid of that garlic smell from your hands after making the tasty pasta? Coconut oil will help you. Want to remove makeup from your face? Remove it using coconut oil. The list goes on and on
Coconut is a magical fruit. The oil is extracted from the kernel of a mature coconut and has countless uses. It is used in cooking, medicinal use as well as skin and hair. Coconut oil is also known as copra oil in India and is common in every Indian household. It is used in various parts of Africa, Asia, South, and Central America.
In this guide, we will talk about the different types of coconut oils, tips to consider while buying coconut oil, benefits and uses of coconut oil, and the 5 best coconut oil for hair and cooking a few FAQs.
Top 5 Best Coconut Oil For Hair And Cooking
Best Uses of Coconut Oil
There are multiple benefits and applications of coconut oil. For every type of coconut oil, there is a suitable use.
For beauty and healing
Virgin coconut oil is ideal and best suitable for skin and hair. VCO has various nourishing and moisturizing properties and helps in restoring dry skin, acne, skin irritation, dandruff, hair growth, and damaged hair.
Many people also use it as a non-toxic insect repellent. Virgin coconut oil can also be useful while removing the makeup from your skin. It can also be added in tip gloss for tinted lips.
Virgin coconut oil has many antifungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that can heal various infections and fight bacterias. It can also be used for cleaning makeup brushes by adding a few drops of coconut oil in antibacterial soap.
It is recommended to go for unrefined and organic coconut oil for cooking. The unrefined coconut oil has a natural aroma and tastes great when used for cooking and you can reap maximum nutrient benefits
Aside from this, you can also consume one to two teaspoons of coconut oil to enjoy its health benefits.
For household use
Many people advise using refined coconut oil in cooking as it has a high heat point and does not leave the flavor and smell of coconut in food. If you like refined coconut oil, go for a good quality oil by a reputable brand.
You can also use refined coconut oil for removing stains, polish the furniture, lubricant, etc.
Types of coconut oil
There are a lot of lingos to walk through when it comes to coconut oil. Here are the standard terms that you will come across while looking for the excellent, high-quality coconut oil.
Organic, virgin, extra virgin, cold press, centrifuge, non-organic, unrefined, refined, etc are the commonly used jargon that you will find on the label of coconut oil.
Organic vs nonorganic
Organic coconuts are the one that is grown without any use of pesticides. They are not genetically modified. Although coconuts are not at high risk when it comes to pesticides, it is wise to go with the organic to avoid the type of fertilizer used while farming or other processes.
While buying organic coconut oil, ensure that it has a certified organic label, which will give you peace of mind that no pesticides were used while growing the coconuts used to extract the oil.
Refined Coconut Oil vs. Unrefined Coconut Oil
Refined coconut oil (organic coconut oil) is mechanically expressed and goes through heavy processing when compared to unrefined coconut oil. It may or may not be deodorized under steam vacuum conditions. It may contain additives and preservatives in it.
Refined coconut oil is made from copra which are old, dried coconut. The oil undergoes high heat processing as fried coconut is not good for consumption.
The oil needs to go through various processing to filter out the impurities to make it more stable. It has less flavour and aroma and can withstand high temperatures and is ideal for deep frying foods.
The unrefined coconut oil is extracted from the fresh coconuts and is processed in one or two days. It is normally considered as virgin oil and has a strong coconut aroma and taste. The intensity depends on the brand to brand and also the freshness of the coconut used and the type of processing it went through.
The refined coconut oils are affordable and suitable for deep frying and making bath oils as they can withstand high temperatures. The unrefined coconut oil contains no artificial additives, is naturally white when solid and translucent when liquid, and is processed as little as possible.
Cold-pressed is a method where no heat is used while extracting the oil from the coconut. When no heat or less heat is used during the extraction process, the processing is less harsh and the oil is in its most natural state.
When the oil is extracted using a cold-pressed method, you will get less coconut than the expeller-pressed coconut oil. Due to this, cold-pressed oils are expensive. This type of oil is raw, contains all the nutrients needed, and is considered the highest quality of coconut oil.
This type of oil is extracted from fresh coconut milk. The oil is separated from the milk using a centrifugal method and no heat. With this process, most of the antioxidants, antibacterial contents, vitamin E, and fatty acids are retained.
This is a process where high pressure and heat is used for extracting oil from coconuts, It is usually used while making refined coconut oil. Due to the high pressure and heat, it changes the chemical structure of fatty acids in the coconut oil and strips away many nutritional benefits, natural good fats, and many things that makes coconut oil so good for you.
It is the most common method. It produces affordable oil in large quantities. Most of the coconut oil for hair found in supermarkets are refined oils made using an expeller-pressed method.
Virgin vs. Extra virgin
The oil extracted from fresh grated and dried coconuts by using a single pressed method at a temperature lower than 40 degrees C is called virgin coconut oil. The oil yield per KG is low as there is no second press and also the temperature of extraction is very low.
Virgin coconut oil is expensive and has good aroma and taste as it doesn’t evaporate. You can also get centrifugal processed oil, but due to the milk, it has higher moisture content and oil tends to turn fermented.
There is no legal definition or term for extra virgin coconut oil. Due to this, there is not any standard difference between the extra virgin coconut oil and virgin coconut oil. Every brand has their own definition of extra virgin oil. However, both oils are made by a single pressed method with no additives and chemicals.
Deodorised coconut oil
It is the same as refined coconut oil but the flavor and smell of coconut oil are removed from the oil. Usually, in good quality coconut oil, no chemicals are used while extracting the oil from copra. It is bleached using natural clay and is deodorized using a steam vacuum method.
The taste and smell molecules are volatile; however, by applying the accurate temperature, it evaporated the compounds from coconut without evaporating the rest of the coconut oil and fats. These types of oils are used when you need to cook without the aroma of coconut.
Because of its high MCT content, using a good quality deodorized coconut oil is better than using a cheap one.
Read the Label
Before buying the coconut oil, decide what is important for you. Learn about the different types of coconut oil before buying it.
Look for the words kike virgin coconut oil (it is made from fresh coconut meat), Organic coconut oil (it is made from coconuts that are grown without pesticides or any chemicals), non-hydrogenated (it contains safe trans fats), unrefined oil, etc.
It is cold-pressed
It is recommended to go for cold-pressed coconut oil as very little or no heat and chemicals are used while extracting oil from coconut. The oil is in raw form with all the nutrients, taste, and aroma intact in it.
If you want the maximum amount of benefits from coconut oil, go from the cold-pressed oil.
Check the certificate
Look for the “Non-GMO” (Not genetically modified organism) seal of approval. This oil is safe, organic, and is not genetically modified. Other things to check are high quality “fair trade certified” symbols. It shows that coconut oil is ethically sourced.
The oil in liquid form is known as fractionated oil. During the fractionation process, the compounds that solidify the oil in room temperature are removed. This way the oil is always in liquid form and is less greasy and feels very light on the skin. It is great to apply on the skin and hair.
Stay away from RBD oils
RBD oils are refined, bleached, and deodorized oils, which means they are not good for skin and hair. The refining removes most of the beneficial phytonutrients, antioxidants, and polyphenols from the oil.
Check the color
The transparent and white color coconut oil is mostly free of contamination. If the coconut oil is yellow or has a gray tint, it might be contaminated. If you want to check whether your oil is free from chemicals, buy the oil and check if it tastes smokey or cooked. This way you can know if the oil was exposed to high heat during processing.
5 Best Coconut Oil For Hair And Cooking
1. Maxcare Virgin Coconut Oil
Maxcare has over 35 years of experience in the coconut industry. They follow stringent measures and bring us the highest quality virgin coconut oil.
This max care virgin coconut oil is organic, cold-pressed, and unrefined oil made from fresh coconut milk. The temperature to extract the oil is less than 40 degrees celsius and therefore all the vital nutrients and goodness of fresh coconut are retained. This coconut oil does not contain any additives, chemicals, or preservatives.
- This oil is 100% natural, unrefined, unbleached and deodorized cold-pressed oil
- It possesses the fresh aroma of tropical coconut
- It is one of the healthiest oils for cooking as it has numerous health benefits
- This oil can also be consumed raw or can be added as a dietary supplement
- Max care oil is rich in antioxidants and improved metabolism and immunity
- It is rich in vitamin E which is beneficial for skin and hair growth. It also helps fight dandruff and makes hair healthy
- It acts as a natural moisturizer and nourishes the skin
- This oil inhibits wrinkle development and promotes youthful-looking skin
- The antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties of this max care coconut oil make it ideal baby massage oil
- This oil can also be used instead of baby’s diaper rash cream and cradle cap treatment
- The fragrance is mild and sweet
- It is the most versatile product that is beneficial for hair, skin, cooking as well as for baby’s hair and skin
- You can also use this virgin coconut oil in your keto diet
- This oil can also be used for oil pulling
- The oil makes the hair and skin smooth and staple
- No negative points were observed so far
2. Pure & Sure Organic Coconut Oil
The Phalada pure and sure has multiple ranges of certified organic food products. Their aim is to provide organic solutions to its customers by offering the consumers high-quality organic food products that are ethically sourced from the farmers.
The products are free from any kind of artificial ingredients, chemical fertilizers, or preservatives.
This pure and sure organic coconut oil is an excellent all-purpose organic oil that makes your food healthy and light. It can also be used for skin and hair
- This oil is 100% certified organic coconut oil
- It is made with the finest quality coconuts that are sourced from certified organic farms in India
- The oil is extracted using the cold-pressed method and hence all the nutrients are retained
- The coconuts used for making this oil are grown without any insecticides, pesticides, or chemicals
- It comes in white transparent color and solidifies during winter
- The oil is obtained by mechanical form without the use of refining, bleaching or deodorizing
- It can be used for hair, skin as well as cooking
- It has a nice and strong coconut smell and flavor
- It provides a good value for money
- No negative points observed so far
3. Organic India Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic India is committed to being a living idea of love and consciousness in action. They have trained many farmers to cultivate sustainable and organic food. All the products by organic India promote health and true wellness. They are made with love and care.
This extra virgin coconut oil by organic India is of the highest quality, best tasting, super healthy, and 100% pure organic coconut oil. It helps with heart problems and aids in the healthy functioning of the endocrine system and thyroid.
- This organic extra virgin coconut oil is not only suitable for cooking but is beneficial for hair and skin as well
- It increases the body’s metabolism and also helps in melting away the extra pounds
- The taste and aroma of coconut oil is pleasant
- It is unrefined coconut oil
- It is USDA organic certified as well as Non-GMO certified.
- It conditions the hair and also nourishes the skin
- You can also use this oil as baby massage oil
- It is extracted using the cold-pressed centrifugal method, which helps retain the essential nutrients in the oil
- It has no preservatives or chemicals added
- It comes in a large quantity. A smaller quantity of packaging would be ideal for first-time users
4. Hathmic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Hathmic is known for its high-quality products. The products are organic and freshly brought from the farm. This Hathmic raw extra virgin coconut oil is full of goodness.
It is a cold-pressed oil that has not been treated with high temperatures and is not refined. It is a perfect oil for cooking as well as topical use. It will give your skin a glow, shine to your hair, and boost your immunity when consumed internally. It is full of pleasant tropical aroma, vital nutrients and composition.
- The oil is extracted from the milk of fresh and matured coconut flesh
- It has no added preservatives, chemicals or any kind of nasty additives
- It is also free from cholesterol, lactose, gluten or trans fats
- This oil is ideal for cooking, frying as well as using it in a smoothie or spread
- By applying it on your face, you will get a youthful glow
- The packaging is great. It comes with a wide mouth which helps you in scooping the right quantity of the oil that you need
- It comes in a glass jar which is way better than plastic jars
- Hathmic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut oil is a better replacement for all processed butter/oils.
- This oil is high in Lauric acid and MCT’s. It contains more than 50% MTCs
- It is a multipurpose oil and can be used for cooking, beauty, skin and hair care, keto diet, baby care, and much more.
- It is 100% unrefined and unfiltered coconut oil.
- The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of this extra virgin coconut oil help in healing the infections and damaged tissues
- It is rich in antioxidants and helps in thyroid balance and weight management
- No negative points were observed so far
5. Coco Soul Cold Pressed Natural Virgin Coconut Oil
Coco soul is India’s most trusted brand that produces all the products with coconut as their main ingredient. It is from the house of Mario, which also manufactures Saffola and Parachute oils.
All the products are GMO-free, vegan, and cruelty-free. No chemicals are added during the process of extraction. It is a 100% pure and natural superfood. It is extracted from fresh raw coconut flesh. It is done using cold press technology where the temperature is as low as 35 to 40 degrees celsius.
With minimal heat, all the vital nutrients are retained. It is rich in flavor and aroma and is also fit for raw consumption.
- Virgin coconut oil has a high amount of natural Lauric acid (c12) and Vitamin E which are good for your health
- The MCTs ( Medium Chain Triglycerides) contribute to 60% of the total fatty acid content and quickly digests for instant energy release. Due to this reason, coconut oil is part of the Keto diet
- This coco soul natural virgin coconut oil is great cooking oil as it can bear high temperatures without getting oxidized.
- It helps to improve the body immunity
- It also supports weight management, cognition, and memory function
- It is great for oil pulling, and it also removes bacteria from the mouth
- It is free from preservatives, gluten, non-GMO
- No negative points observed so far
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which coconut oil is best for health?
The organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil is best for your health. Recently, coconut oil has grown in popularity as a few studies claim that it can do almost everything from helping weight loss to slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s.
2. What is the difference between virgin coconut oil and coconut oil?
The normal coconut oil is made from the dried coconut kernel known as copra. It is pressed using high temperature, and the oil is RBD (Refines, Bleached, and deodorized) in order to make it suitable for consumption.
Virgin coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat under low temperatures which retains most of its nutrients.
One of the major differences between virgin coconut oil and regular coconut oil is the aroma and taste. The VCO has a proper tropical coconut smell and flavour whereas regular refined coconut oil has a neutral scent and taste.
3. Is unrefined coconut oil better for skin?
Yes, unrefined or virgin coconut oil is extracted by pressing the fresh coconut flesh. It contains no additives, chemicals, or preservatives and is considered best for the skin as well as hair.
Also, the oil that is extracted by using cold-pressed or expeller methods contains more fatty acids and compounds that are beneficial to the skin.
4. Is there a difference between cooking coconut oil and beauty coconut oil?
The cooking grade coconut oil is usually a refined oil that is also bleached and deodorized. It has a high heating point and has a neutral flavour and aroma.
The beauty coconut oil is usually unrefined virgin coconut oil. It is extracted using a cold-pressed method and all the nutrients are retained in the oil.
The best coconut oil for cooking and hair is the one that is organic, virgin, and unrefined. In the above-mentioned list, all the products are of high quality, organic, and trusted brands. We have also mentioned the various uses, benefits, and common jargon used while you go to buy coconut oil.
We hope this article helps you.