Best Camping Tent for Family
Outdoor camping is a favourite leisure activity for many families. Whether the sight of nature is what attracts you or associated activities that come with it, there’s never any other perfect way to relax, have fun, and take a break from the routine bust and buzz of life.
Now! The truth is beyond the excitement and pleasure a great camping experience is never complete without an ideal sleeping setup.
So what’s the solution?
If you are considering taking your entire family for a leisure outdoor expedition, you will need the best family camping tents that can provide comfortable and safe shelter for everyone.
Fair enough, but choosing the most suitable product is no pushover. Why is this? The market has plenty of options with some being good quality while others are just but average.
If you are not sure what to look out for when selecting what fits your needs, here’s the deal. In this article, we’ll take all you need to know more about the family camping tents, types, styles, and designs, buying guide, frequently asked questions and the top 8 best camping tents for families. But first, let’s make it clear what a family camping tent is.
Top 8 Camping Tent for Family
Best Backpacking Camping Tent
Quality Tent for 3 seasons
Best Buy for a Small Family
Weather Friendly and Safe
What Are Family Camping Tents?
In reality, family tents are not any much different from ordinary camping alternatives. The only distinction is that they tend to be larger to accommodate more people. Similarly, the designs are tailored to provide a utilitarian layout with the aim of sheltering family members in the best way.
A key feature in this regard is a partitioning that divides the interior into separate sections for the kids and the parents. Otherwise, they are available in wide-ranging styles, sizes, colors, building material.
Camping Tent Styles/Designs
Currently, tents are made in all manner of sizes and styles. Each design has its own advantages and limitations. All in all, the primary defining characteristic on matters style is usually the shape the tent takes when setting up.
Dome Style Tents
This is by far the most popular design. A dome tent takes a characteristic D-shape when installed and is usually anchored by two corded collapsible poles. The poles are fitted into specially designed sleeves protruding from the main body to form an X-cross at the apex of the tent.
Both frames are then curved down pulling up the fabric and forming a semi-circle with the foot sticking into the ground. This style is famed for its fine aeration and optimal floor space, ease of setup, portability among other things. On the flipside, they remain disadvantaged when it comes to stability especially as the size increases and vertical space.
A-Frame/ Ridge Design
The A-frame/ridge style is said to have been the standard in the early days of tent making. They are defined by a vertical pole at either side with a connecting frame going through a tarp to provide support. And they have guy lines to provide additional support.
Their advantages include stability, easy installation, and comfort. However, they don’t offer as room going up. These days some redesigned variants seem to feature relatively straight walls.
Cabin Style Tents
Unlike dome or ridge, cabin style tent feature nearly vertical walls and maximizes height and space going up. If you would appreciate a product that allows you to stand upright and move around when inside the tent, the cabin design is the way to go. Besides they tend to bigger and heavier hence suitable for car camping.
Screen House tents take a shape almost similar to cabin style only that the front side features large open entry/exit way. The door is double layer with meshed layer just below the out fabric which is pulled up and supported with frames to provide shade. The advantage of this style is excellent ventilation and spacious interior (both floor area and vertical space) though setup may take a little longer.
As the name hints, these take the shape of a typical tunnel. Tunnel style tents use flexible poles which pass across the body to give it support. They can be anything from a small single compartment to large multiple partitions provide sufficient space for many campers.
These are relatively recent arrivals and a little sophisticated and pricey than most of the other categories. The concept is having the tent fixed on the roof of the car or behind the open trunk instead of being installed on the ground. Rooftop tents varies in terms of build shapes and other utility features but could be used just anywhere.
Types of Camping and Tent Selection
This boils down to the approach campers take in reaching the campgrounds. Bottom line, each category has slightly varying needs when it gets to choosing the right tent.
As the name suggests, this involves packing and hauling all the necessary camping gear with a backpack and trekking all the way to camping location. Backpacking is in most cases favored by adventurous souls who like to take the trail and enjoy the scenery as they go. When it comes to picking an ideal tent for family backpacking camping trips- a good product should primarily allow easy packing and transport.
For families who detest the idea of walking on foot all the way to the campsite, using a car for transport comes as the obvious alternative. The beauty of car camping is the freedom it offers in terms of what gear you can carry along and far you can go. Also, in this case, there’s almost no limit to the size or weight of a tent you can buy. So long as it will fit in the trunk, it’s as good as done because no one will have to carry it over any long distance.
Buyers Guide to the Best Family Camping Tent
The market certainly has a lot of tents for family camping on offer catering for different camping needs and personal preferences. You can’t buy everything while it is not prudent to pick any product randomly. If you don’t know where to start here are some factors and features worth looking out for while choosing the Best camping tents;
As you are in effect looking for a home away from home nothing matters like the size. It won’t make any sense to acquire something that can’t fit everyone comfortably. So the first thing you should have in mind is the number of people who will use the tent and probably the need for extra room for storage of other camping gear.
At this point it’s the floor area is key. You should also think about the body size of the campers because naturally, adults take up more space than kids. Getting the size right shouldn’t be any difficult given that most manufacturers indicate the number of people a tent can comfortably host. Since the accuracy is not always guaranteed, it’s advisable to scale up the size by one or two people more than intended users.
Seasonality and Weatherproofing
To ensure your pick can stand up to typical outdoor climate at different times of the year, seasonality and weatherproofing specifications shouldn’t escape your consideration. When it comes to seasonality there are up to four options which include two, three, three to four, and four season tents.
Usually as the number of seasons increase, the more resilience the tent is bound to offer in extreme weather. For the best experience at least the tent can withstand damaging UV rays, heavy rainfall, and windy conditions. Otherwise, consider a product designed for use in the particular season you prefer to camp. You will get a number of best waterproof tent brands available in the market, but make sure to choose as per your needs.
Ease of setup
Once you get to the campsite certainly you wouldn’t like to spend like forever pitching their tent. Therefore, a good pick should be easy to install probably with the least amount of help or tools. Look out for features such as automatic opening design and customized frame grooves among other elements that will facilitate quick and hassle-free setup.
Another very important aspect when choosing a tent is the type of fabric used in the construction of the body. Common materials used for tent making include variants of polyester, nylon, cotton, and canvas. Each type no doubt has its strengths and weaknesses.
For instance, nylon and polyester are known to offer better waterproofing while canvas may stand a better chance in windy condition owing to its heavy nature. In your quest for the best, ensure the material used in the tent of choice increases resilience to adverse weather conditions and enhances durability.
The weight of a family tent may or may not matter depending on the preferred camping style, personal preferences, or weather conditions. For example, backpackers are better off with something compact, lightweight, portable. On the other hand, for campers, the weight may not be such a big deal because no one has to transport the tent over a long distance. So you need to ask yourself if the weight will be a problem or not before making the final decision.
To ensure the tent remains comfortable and habitable at all times, features that ensure efficient airflow are a must-have. Elements such as large mesh windows, doors, high center height, and any other opening come in handy at this stage. Ideally, a good pick should optimize aeration and ensure the interior remains cool regardless of the weather or number of occupants.
For a better sheltering experience, a good family camping tent should provide separate living areas and storage areas. Instead of a plain one large interior, if you can get one with room dividers plus a vestibule area the better for you. Why? It makes it easier to keep everything organized. Besides, it allows limited interruptions. For instance, if the kids have to sleep earlier you have less interference if they are is a separate compartment
The poles are what gives a tent its shape and also ensures it remains stable. Apart from that, the frame also determines ease of setup and dismantling. Common tent poles are made of reinforced plastic, Aluminum or carbon fiber with each offering varying levels of strength and durability. It’s worth paying a little extra if that is what it takes to get frames that can live up to outdoor camping demands.
Like with any other product you have to buy, you must in your personal tastes and preferences. The catch here is how best the features are tailored to fit your requirements. Even though a tent may have the best features, if they don’t match up to the needs of your family then it won’t make sense picking it. As a standard, you should think about what is a priority for you, whether it’s space, ease of setup or weatherproofing and so on.
While these are not a priority for many campers, there’s much value you can reap from having them in your tents. From large doors and windows for easy access and letting in air and natural light to rainfly to provide an extra layer of cover and vestibule for better organization, it pays to have such add-ons. You should also look out for interior loops and pockets and any other extra utility feature that would make outdoor life easier.
1. Egab Picnic Camping Tent – Best Backpacking Camping Tent
If you are a looking for a lightweight and easy to pitch a tent for regular family backpacking camping trip, the Egab picnic 6-person tent is worth considering. At its weight, it won’t be a pain to carry no matter the distance you have to cover.
The Egab picnic tent comes with pre-assembled poles which enable users to set it up in no time. To install, you only have to unfold, extend, and secure into position.
As indicated, it offers enough space to accommodate six adults so either a small or midsize family can comfortably use it. Otherwise, you can up or down to the 8-person or 4-person respectively.
When it comes to weather protection, the build material is designed to prevent water seepage leaving the interior dry at all times.
- Features an advanced automatic opening structure to allow instant set up by a single person
- Made of high-quality weatherproof polyester offering protection against heavy winds, extreme sunlight, and rain
- Comes with a waterproof UV treated polyester flysheet to cover apex ventilation and also act as an extra layer of protection against damaging UV rays
- Has a wearable and waterproof groundsheet to provide extra protection from below
- Has large dome-shaped double entrance ways to facilitate free in or out movement
- Has dimensions measuring 220 by 250 by 150 cm providing a spacious interior to host up to six people with room to twist and turn
- The highly breathable polyester and dome design ensures optimal ventilation at all times thereby ensuring the interior remains cool at all times
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Come with a carrying bag
- Suitable for all manner of outdoor camping adventures
- Resilient and durable
- Spacious and well-ventilated
- Easy to setup and pack up
- Single layer hence may be cold to sleep in during winter
2. AmazonBasics Tent – Quality Tent for 3 seasons
If you a regular camping family, you are probably looking for a durable option so that you can use it every year when you plan for camping. With the AmazonBasics Tent, now you can get a durable choice for you.
Coated with polyester fabric and being welded with 1000D polyethylene floor, this tend becomes an idea choice for families. Keeping in mind about maintaining a fresh airflow, this tent has been designed with cool air port and back window.
It also comes with the interior storage pockets for families to keep things systematically. This dome style tent perfect for accommodating 4 people at the same time works perfect for 3 seasons.
Provided with 1 year of warranty, this tend becomes an ideal choice. With the snag-free pole sleeves and shock corded poles, it ensures easy setup. With 48 inches of center height, this tent allows free movement of the people inside the tent.
- Features instant setup dome design and continuous snag-free pole sleeves to allow fast and easy setup
- Made of durable tightly woven single layer polyester fabric to ensure extended life in use
- Has a zippered mesh closure inbuilt over the entrance for ventilation with storm flaps for protection
- 1000D- polyethylene style floor provide complete leak protection
- 1 year limited warranty
- Coated polyester fabric provides strength to the tent
- Designed for 3 season durability and therefore now you no longer have to invest in different materials on different seasons
- Easy to set up and bring down
- Durable fabrics
- Superior ventilation
- Firm stitches and great overall finish
- Great fit for 3 season use
- Offers a spacious interior accommodation
- Waterproofing is not up to the mark
3. Hyu Camping Tent – Our Pick
The Hyu 4-person tent is good buy for a small family that likes going for camping trips from time to time. Given its simplistic design you will enjoy super fast and easy setup as the situation demands.
If you arrive at the campsite when it’s already dark you won’t fumble with installation instructions because everything is as practical as it gets.
At its size this tent is quite spacious with enough room to move about. And thanks to the wide entry way one can get in or out at his/her convenience.
The interior will remain dry thanks to the waterproof cover construction. Given the blend of features, the Hyu 4-person tent is a good pick for various outdoor accommodation needs for small families.
- to four people comfortably
- Made of single layer waterproof polyester material to ensure adequate protection from extreme weather
- Uses reinforced Glass Fiber Plastic tent frame guaranteeing stability once installed
- Its bottom material is made of strong, durable, and tightly woven polyester pongee material to provide a dependable sleeping surface
- Has two front and rear door to allow hindrance-free entry or exit
- The entryway has an inbuilt zippered mesh closure complete with storm flaps to ensure the safety and comfort under all circumstances
- Comes with pegs to help in pinning it firmly on the ground
- Comes as a small and lightweight package
- Convenient to carry around
- Easy to setup and dismantle
- Ideal for camping and other outdoor accommodation needs
- Comes with all accessories required to set it up
- Offers optimal ventilation
- Great overall construction quality
- Value for money
- Not suitable for all seasons
4. ASkyl Waterproof Tent – Best Waterproofing
If you are looking for a spacious camping tent for a large family, the ASkyl 8-person tent is good fit as it is also the best waterproof tent brands.
It is ideal for four to eight users depending on the amount of space you will need to aid movement or storage of any camping luggage.
You can depend on it in different weather conditions as the durable waterproof construction material which is also coated to provide protection from extreme UV rays.And just like most dome shaped tents installed with x-crossing collapsible poles, the ASkyl tent is easy to set up and take down.
You will have no trouble handling this tent because it’s lightweight. Carrying it from one place to another won’t be an issue.
- Made of high-quality 190T waterproof polyester material which can withstand up to between 1500 to 1800 mm of rainfall to keep the interior dry at all times
- Its dimensions are 300cm by 220cm by 170cm which is large enough to accommodate up to eight people
- Conveniently designed to guarantee comfort with a mesh ventilation opening at the apex
- Designed with an advanced and improved opening structure to enable quick setup
- Equipped with large D-shaped front and rear doors to facilitate convenient entry or exit
- Comes with a waterproof coated, UV resistant treated polyester flysheet for an extra layer of protection against rain and harmful ultraviolet rays
- Utilizes sturdy collapsible poles to provide stable installation
- Features a wearable and waterproof floor material to guarantee floor safety
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes with a carrying bag allowing easier transportation
- Great fit for a wide array of outdoor accommodation application
- Simple to install and take down and in minutes
- Spacious and comfortable
- Resilient with great weatherproofing
- Lacks partitioning
5. Valamji Picnic Camping Tent – Lightweight
The Valamji 4-5 person picnic camping tent boasts of simple yet utilitarian design that guarantees a wonderful outdoor use experience. It offers enough room at its rating allowing users to sleep comfortably and twist around with ease.
Owing to its simple design it follows that its set up is quite a walk in the park. Just one pair of hands can handle the installation in a matter of seconds. So you will be able to settle down in a short while after arriving at the campsite.
Again, for those who value aesthetics, the Valamji got you covered with its bright colour and perfect stitch finishes. Most of all, the dependable nature of the material used in the wall, roof, and floor construction makes it worth every cent at its price.
- Product dimensions are 200 cm by 200 cm by 130 cm (L x W x H) providing enough floor space to host 4-5 persons
- Made of durable single layer waterproof Polyester material to provide sufficient protection from adverse weather conditions
- Utilizes silver polyurethane and shock-corded fiberglass pole frame
- Has a large front entrance to facilitate quick and smooth in/out movement
- The wide front entryway features a zipper mesh closure with storm flaps providing an extra layer of protection
- Has a wearable and waterproof flooring made of Terylene clothing to keep the interior habitable
- Features an advanced instant setup structure to save of installation and dismantling time
- Weighs about 1.4 kilograms making it lightweight and portable
- Great for picnics, camping, and other family outdoor activities
- Easy to setup and dismantle
- Dependable size
- Waterproof and durable
- Attractive and good looking
- Lightweight and portable
- Would be better with an extra bottom sheet for additional floor cover
6. ASkyl Waterproof Picnic Camping Tent – Adequate Protection
If your priority is to invest in a waterproof material, then you should consider buying this product. With ample of space for 4 people, this military designed tent can be an ideal choice for a small family who loves to go camping.
When it comes to weatherproofing, the construction is firm enough to guarantee adequate protection from harsh weather conditions.
Despite having adequate space for the families, it is surprising to find that this tend can extremely lightweight along with great for the families who goes for hiking and travelling.
Being made with breathable polyester, even with 4 people inside the tent, you will not feel suffocated. Also robust quality materials ensure protection from sunlight, wind, insects and rain.
- Made of high- quality waterproof Polyester material hence ideal for all-rounded outdoor use
- Comes with quality steel stakes and corded glass fiber reinforced plastic frames for structural support
- Army print can become ideal for people to remain camouflaged
- The front entry/exit way has a zippered mesh closure to keep insects at bay
- The overall dimension of this tent is 200 X 150 X 110 cm which makes it spacious enough for 4 people.
- Suitable for a 4 people family
- Comes with all the accessories required for set up
- Easy to assemble and take down
- Lightweight and portable
- Waterproof and durable
- Army design
- Safe and comfortable
- It does not come with separate sections for kids and adults
7. YFXOHAR Outdoor Camping and Hiking Tent– Best Buy for a Small Family
The YFXOHAR tent is another great pick for a small family of up to four persons looking for the perfect outdoor accommodation. As an ideal home away from home, it is designed to ensure optimal aeration making it livable regardless of the weather.
Talking about weather, if your camping adventure happens on a wet day, you will have little to worry about because the build is waterproof.
And because a wonderful camping experience depends on how easy it is to get started, the YFXOHAR saves you any trouble. Installation is straightforward and will take you a few minutes to complete.
- Made of high-quality resilient polyester fabric to withstand typical outdoor environmental conditions
- Comes with Shock-Corded Fiberglass Pole Frames to anchor and ensure firm support and stability when set up
- Comes with lightweight but sturdy steel stakes for added stability and strength
- Has a wearable and waterproof floor to prevent dew and water penetration from below
- Features advanced automatic set up design to allow quick installation
- Equipped large door to allow smooth entry or exit
- Come with waterproof and UV treated rainfly to seal the meshed roof opening in case it rains and to provide protection from extreme sunlight
- The door features a zipper closure for security and is sealed with storm flaps to prevent water seepage
- Has mesh door and window for ventilation
- Instant set up and fold down
- Made of breathable fabric with ventilation maximizing design
- Lightweight and hassle-free to carry around
- Reliable weather protection
- Ideal for hiking and travel camping
- Resilient floor material
- Perfectly knitted to ensure long-lasting performance
- Comes a carrying pouch
- May not stand extremely harsh weather
- Ideal for a small family only
8. Coleman Sundome Camping Green Tent – Weather Friendly and Safe
The Coleman brand is one of the most accomplished brands when it comes to producing quality outdoor gear. And this Sundome Green 4-person tent testifies the manufacturer’s attention to detail and inclination to offer nothing but the best. no doubt why this is known as one of the best family tents for bad weather.
Although its takes the most expensive tag on our list, the price by all standards compensated by the features and overall value one is bound to get. Perhaps the most compelling element of the Coleman Sundome is the brand’s signature WeatherTech system that ensures the tent remains weather-friendly and safe at all times.
And because ease of setup defines the best start to a wonderful camping experience, this tent saves you any trouble when it gets to installation and dismantling. In a nutshell, this tent is optimized to prioritize user convenience and comfort.
- Boasts of a state of art WeatherTec System which includes welded floors and inverted protected seams to prevent water seepage when it rains
- Made of durable Polyester material to withstand typical outdoor weather
- Features a dome design and snag-free continuous pole sleeves to allow easy and quick pitching
- Uses high-performance instant-clip 8.5mm fiberglass poles to provide structural support and stability
- Comes with a separate flysheet to provide an extra layer of cover in case of rain
- Equipped with ground vent and large windows to provide superior ventilation consequently ensuring the ten remains cool at all times
- Product dimensions; 213 cm by 276 cm floor space with center height at 150 cm providing enough sleeping area and head movement allowance
- Has a large D shaped door to facilitate hassle-free entry/exit
- Equipped with utility mesh storage pockets to help store personal items and keep the tent organized
- Has an E-port to allow transmission of power into the tent
- The fabric has fire retardant treatment to ensure safety
- Quick and uncomplicated set-up
- Features weather-resilient construction
- Durable and sturdy thus be used reliable in different weather conditions
- Offers well-thought features to maximize user enjoyment
- Good quality construction
- Offers sufficient room for sleeping and head movement
- Great ventilation system to maximize comfort
- Sturdy and stable structure
- Great fit for family adventure camping
- Relatively expensive
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best tent for family camping?
Unfortunately, just like any other product you may want to purchase, there is no outright best pick. If anything, each family has different needs depending on the preferred form of camping, campsite environment, and weather among other things.
In your quest to find the best tent, family camping needs should eventually lead you to the most suitable product. But as a standard, look out for features such as space, comfort, safety, weatherproofing, and ease of set up.
2. How much does a good family camping tent cost?
Under normal circumstances, a higher price means better quality. While you may need a reasonable budget to get a good tent that will serve your needs accordingly, there are plenty choices for all price ranges. Depending on your budget, you can always get something that gives back value at its price. So, yes, when purchasing it’s much better focusing in whether you will reap back your money’s worth.
3. Are all camping tents waterproof?
Not exactly! Different brands are known for varying levels of reliability when it comes to waterproofing their tents. Of course you will find almost every model indicating a water resistance specification, but sometimes the reality proves otherwise.
Also, a tent’s waterproof ability may vary depending on the intensity of rainfall. Usually, the key determinant is the type of fabric used in constructing the tent. To get a reliable waterproofing you should pay more attention on the quality and nature of the build material.
4. Which is the best tent style?
Depending on application each style has specific advantages and limitations. For example, Dome and ridge design are easier to install but are limited when it comes to full vertical height. To the contrary cabin and screen-house style tents offer better vertical height but do take much longer to install.
This is just one way to look at it because the features also vary from one style to the next. Because what works for one may not get the attention of another, the best way is to consider which design is likely to suit your intended situation of application.
5. How important is weight and pack size?
The weight and pack size of a tent matters depending on the type of camping you are likely to undertake. For instance, if you are likely to use the tent for backpacking family camping trips then it would be advisable to go for a lightweight and compact model. To the contrary, in the case of car camping the weight and pack size should not be so much of a big deal.
6. How big should an ideal family camping tent be?
First of all, most tents available in the market come indicating the number of people it accommodates. However, in use, you might find things a little different. It not uncommon to find a tent specified to carry a given number barely fitting one or two persons less than the manufacturing capacity.
One major explanation for this is that not everyone has the same body size. Sometimes the manufacturer could also have failed to account for extra space for movement or storage of luggage. So the best way to go about this is to scale up your choice by one or two people. For instance, if you are a family of four consider going for at a 6-person tent.
7. What is the best material for a family camping tent?
Most tents available in the market are made of variants of Polyester or Nylon. In reality, different types of fabrics have both strengths and weaknesses. Depending on your needs it remains important to choose what is bound to work for your situation.
For example, if you intend to use the tent during summer when the sunshine gets extremely hot, going for a material that would protect from UV rays is advisable. The same way if you are likely to experience heavy rainfall you should ensure the material is waterproof and so on.
8. What is the best tent for all-rounded use?
When it comes to outdoor camping the weather or season determines the overall experience. It is important to ensure your tent can take whatever adverse conditions you may face while camping.
Ordinarily, there are tents suited for different situations from one-season, two-season, 3- season, and 4-season. For frequent all year campers a 3 or 4-season tent should be fine.Otherwise, if you are buying for a particular trip you can check it can stand the environmental conditions prevalent at the time.
In a nutshell, a good tent will make your outdoor accommodation experience one of a kind. Think about protection from extreme weather, comfy sleeping environment, and hassle-free management.
Finding one from the many becomes hard and therefore hopefully these top 8 best family camping tents can be great for you. From these few, we feel Egab Picnic 6 Person Camping Tent, Hyu Four Peoples Tent and AmazonBasics Tent For Camping are the top 3 tents in our list that offers maximum protection.
Of course, nailing the best fit is no pushover the more reason you should take your time filtering down your options. We hope this guide helps you have an idea of what you need to do to get what works for your situation.