A bookshelf or a bookcase is designed with horizontal shelves, which are used to store books, novels, and other printed items. It is most widely seen in public and university libraries and offices. However, it is also a popular piece of furniture or accessory, which adds style and sophistication to your living or study room.
There are different types and styles of bookshelves available in the market today. These bookshelves come with a contemporary design to enhance the modern aesthetics of your home decor. It adds a classy and elegant touch to your room without taking up much space. It is also a treasure of every bookworm as it enables you to display your book collection in an organized manner.
There are several advantages of having a bookshelf at home, which have discussed in the following section of this article. Here we have provided a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make the right choice. The article also provides detailed reviews of the top 6 bookshelves available on amazon. You can go through the FAQ section towards the end of the article to gain more insight.
6 Best Bookshelves
Advantages of Having a Bookshelf
A bookshelf serves to be the ideal storage space for your books. It also adds style and sophistication to your modern home. You can also place small decorative items in the bookshelf to enhance the aesthetics of your living room. Here we explain the advantages of having a bookshelf:
A bookshelf helps you store your books, files, novels, and other vital documents in an organized manner. It prevents cluttering of your home. Moreover, you can organize other small items and valuables in a bookshelf to gain easy access.
You can consider a bookshelf that is capable of performing multiple tasks. You can convert it into a minibar or use the additional space to place decorative items. It helps in enhancing your overall home decor.
The multiple shelves of the bookshelf allow you to organize your books according to edition or genre for easy access. It helps you find a particular book anytime.
There are various types of bookshelves, including wall-mount, floating, open-shelf bookshelves, and more. These bookshelves save space and prevent your home from looking cluttered. The wall mount bookshelves are mounted with brackets on the wall. Hence, they save floor space for other furniture units.
Types of Bookshelves
A floating bookshelf is designed to display your book collection floating on the wall. It is constructed using wood and mounted on the wall using brackets. Each rack is mounted on the wall as an individual shelf. It is an ideal display and storage unit for light-weight books, including comics and magazines.
Built-In Shelving System
A built-in shelving system is the most common type of bookshelves, which can be placed in any corner of the house. It includes planks of wood mounted horizontally on a wall. It saves space and can be easily fitted in any empty wall space.
Corner bookshelves help in maximizing storage and saving space. You can easily install it on the wall or the floor. It features a stylish design and a solid wood and plastic construction. You can place it at any empty corner of your living room to enhance your modern home decor.
Free Standing Bookshelf
Free-standing bookshelves help in storing and displaying your book collection. They are light-weight and include wheels for ease of mobility. You can install it easily and place your books, novels, and other valuables in an organized manner.
Leaning and Ladder Bookshelf
A ladder bookshelf is designed to resemble a ladder. There are two types of ladder bookshelves, i.e., leaning and freestanding bookshelves. The leaning bookshelf leans against the wall or a solid structure. It features rubber legs for added stability.
A ladder bookshelf comes with a sleek and triangular design. It features shelves, allowing you to place books and decorative items. The bottom shelf is the largest, while the topmost shelf is the smallest. These types of bookshelves work well in compact places.
A barrister bookshelf originated in England and it was designed for the use of barristers. It has emerged as a popular type of bookshelf because of its stackable design. The original barrister bookshelf featured separate shelves with a glass front. These shelves could be moved separately without removing the contents.
The latest barrister bookshelves come with a stackable or fixed design. They resemble the previous barrister bookshelf models and are used to store books and other valuables. These bookshelves are made of solid wood.
Material and Finish
The bookshelf should be made using Sheesham wood, engineered wood with laminate, or high-grade prelam wood. The premium quality and well-processed MDF material construction ensures durability and sturdiness to the product. Ensure that the shelves are constructed using particleboard or fiberboard.
It should come with a matt or teak finishing to provide a classy look to your home decor. You can also consider going for a dark brown, walnut, or maple honey finish.
A contemporary and modern design will enhance the aesthetics of your modern home decor. You can also consider a bookshelf with an invisible design. These bookshelves turn invisible behind the stack of books. A display unit is designed to add an elegant and classy touch to your living or study room.
A compact bookshelf is a preferable option if you lack space in your home. The space-saving design enables you to store books, novels, and other valuables without taking up much space. Hence, it serves to be an elegant and attractive piece of furniture or accessory in your living room or study room.
You can consider going for a compact bookshelf. However, it should be spacious, allowing you to place all your novels and books with ease. Consider the number of shelves and the load capacity of each shelf before making a purchase. You can also look for a bookshelf with adjustable shelves, which enables you to make adjustments to meet your requirements.
Most bookshelves require assembly and installation. These bookshelves also include DIY (Do It Yourself) assembly instructions to help you with the set-up.
Ensure that the product comes with all the required parts and screws. Also, check if you will require any additional tools and equipment for the assembly. The bookshelf you buy should be easy to assemble. However, you can also consider a barrister bookshelf, which does not require any assembly or installation.
Ensure that the bookshelf is constructed using high-quality and well-processed material. It should be robust and durable. The iron rods used for the construction should be painted to prevent rusting and corrosion.
Top 6 Bookshelves
1. Appucoco Wall Mounted Book Shelf
The Appucoco wall-mount or floating bookshelf features a space-saving and innovative design. You can easily stack up to 5 kg of books or showcase ornaments, DVDs, and more. The bookshelf is made using strong MS material, making it sturdy and durable.
It enables you to keep your books organized so that it turns invisible behind the vertical tower of books. Hence, the Appcoco floating bookshelf will be a great addition to any room.
- Type: wall-mount/floating bookshelf.
- The package includes two or three wall mount bookshelves, 6 screws, and 6 plastic anchors.
- Dimension: 15.6 cm x 17 cm x 13 cm.
- It is made using strong MS material.
- Each bookshelf is capable of supporting up to 5 kg of books.
- It features an invisible design, making it disappear behind the stack of books.
- Color: black.
- The simple line design makes it easy to assemble and install.
- The wall mount bookshelf saves space in any room.
- It keeps the books organized.
- It is only suitable for stacking small books.
2. DeckUp Reno Ladder Bookshelf
The DeckUp Reno bookshelf is a ladder and leaning type bookshelf. It features a contemporary design that enhances the modern aesthetics of your home decor. The sturdy and stable bookshelf is constructed using engineered wood with laminate. Moreover, it comes with a matt finishing, which makes it stand-out in your living or study room.
- Type: Ladder and Leaning Bookshelf
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 25 x 14.4 x 69 inches.
- Primary material: engineered wood with laminate.
- Number of shelves: 5.
- It features a contemporary style.
- It comes with a matt finishing.
- It is sturdy and stable.
- It comes with DIY assembly instructions making it easy to install.
- The spacious bookshelf is capable of accommodating more than 20 books with ease.
- It features a stylish and modern design.
- The bookshelf is not water-resistant, so cleaning might be a problem for some
3. Rootwood 3 Tear Bookshelf
The Rootwood bookshelf is constructed using Sheesham wood with a provincial teak, maple honey, or warm chestnut finishing, depending on the design you choose. It features an elegant and contemporary design, which adds a classy touch to your modern home decor. The cabinet comes with varying storage options allowing you to store books and other valuables.
- Type: Barrister Bookshelf.
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 23 x 13 x 43 inches.
- It is constructed using Sheesham wood.
- It comes with a provincial teak finishing.
- Available color: warm chestnut, maple honey, and teak.
- It is available in a 3 or 5-tear design.
- It comes with a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Sheesham wood construction ensures strength and durability.
- The contemporary design adds style to your home decor.
- It includes varying storage options like doors and drawers that enable you to store away things.
- It is easy to clean using a damp cloth.
- The bookshelf does not require any assembly.
- Installation takes time
4. Bluewud Osvil Floor Standing Book Shelf
The Bluewud Osvil Floor Standing Bookshelf features a modern and contemporary style, which enhances your overall home decor. It comes with particleboard shelves that enable you to stack books, frames, and other essential items. The high-grade prelam engineering wood construction with a natural wood grain finish makes it a durable and attractive display bookshelf to consider buying.
- Type: Floor standing bookshelf or display case.
- Dimensions (L x B x H): 15.75 inches x 15.75 inches x 46.34 inches.
- It weighs 8.50 kg.
- It is constructed using premium high-grade prelam engineering wood.
- The bookshelf features a natural wood grain finish.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Available colors: wenge and walnut.
- It features a modern and contemporary design.
- It has a space-saving design for keeping books and novels.
- It is durable and sturdy.
- It is not easy to assemble.
5. Paradox Studio Book Shelf
The Paradox studio bookshelf is a free-standing bookshelf designed to resemble a tree extension. It is constructed using medium-density fiberboard made using premium quality MDF. The natural wood finish and unique shape makes the bookshelf stand-out in your living room. It features a compact yet spacious design, allowing you to place several books and novels without taking up much space.
- Type: Free-Standing Bookshelf.
- Dimensions: 32 x 19.5 x 54 cm.
- It weighs 5.7 kg.
- The unique style of the bookshelf is shaped like a tree extension.
- It is constructed using medium-density fiberboard made using high-grade prelam MDF.
- It comes with a natural wood grain finish.
- It is easy to assemble and install.
- The bookshelf comes with large storage space.
- It features a compact and space-saving design.
- It is constructed using high-quality and robust material.
- It is quite small in size.
6. Viki Bookcase/Bookshelf
The Viki bookshelf includes six adjustable shelves made using particleboard and fiberboard. Each shelf comes with a capacity of 25 kg, allowing you to store all your books, encyclopedias, and novels with ease. It utilizes the small wall space effectively by accommodating a variety of items in minimum space.
The bookshelf is available two colors, i.e., brown and white. You can make a choice based on your preference and the style of your room.
- Dimensions: Height- 202 cm, width- 80 cm, and depth- 30 cm.
- Number of shelves: 6.
- Each shelf comes with a load capacity of 25 kg.
- It is constructed using particleboard, fiberboard, and plastic edging.
- 50% of the bookshelf is made using wood fiber, which is a renewable material.
- It is easy to clean and maintain using a damp cloth and mild cleaner.
- The narrow shelves enable you to utilize small wall spaces effectively.
- The shelves can be adjusted according to your requirement.
- No negative points were seen so far.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between a bookshelf and a bookcase?
A bookcase is a large free-standing piece of furniture that features multiple shelves, allowing you to store books and novels. On the other hand, a bookshelf may refer to a single shelf, a wall-mounted shelf, or a ladder-type shelf.
2. What is the best material for bookshelves?
The best materials for the construction of bookshelves are Sheesham wood, MDF, particleboard, plywood, metal, and glass. The high-grade materials used for the construction of a bookshelf ensure its durability and robustness.
3. How thick should a bookshelf be?
A bookshelf should be constructed using 3/4 inch thick materials. A solid hardwood bookshelf may come with a thickness of 1 1/4 inch for maximum support.
4. What is the standard depth of a bookshelf?
The depth of a shelf is determined based on the items you wish to store. The standard shelf depth for general purpose ranges between 10 to 12 inches. On the other hand, the shelf spacing ranges from 7 to 15 inches, with 8 to 12 inches being ideal for bookshelves.
A bookshelf or a bookcase will help you organize your books and de-clutter your home. Hence, it is a requirement for those who love reading. You can choose from various styles and designs. However, the bookshelf you decide on purchasing should be spacious, allowing you to accommodate your books and novels with ease.
You can read through our comprehensive buyer’s guide before deciding on a bookshelf. It explains all the essential factors to be considered before making a purchase. You can consider our number one recommendation – the DeckUp Reno Ladder Bookshelf if you wish to buy a ladder-type bookshelf. On the other hand, the Appucoco wall mount bookshelf is an ideal choice if you lack floor space.
We hope this article helps you make the right choice!