Best Cycle Helmets For Head Safety
A good cycling helmet is very essential and necessary whenever you plan on going for a ride. It has become a common sight to see normal road bikers and mountain bikers to ride with their cycling helmet on. Riding a bike is a fun activity for almost everyone. But when it comes to professional bike riding, safety is very important. Head safety is the major concern as there are different types of bike rides.
The helmets have different features like visor, head coverage, ventilation, shock absorbance feature, etc to prevent serious injuries to the head along with affordable range and comfort. It is a major requirement. Before you go for finding which one is right for you, just go through the buying guide.
Table Of Contents
Different Types of Cycling Helmets
There are different types of cycling helmets available. There are special types of helmets for biking on road, in the mountains, downhill rides, high-speed bikes and for children. It helps you go the long way when you know which bike you will be climbing onto. There are huge differences between every biking helmet.
So now we will go through the details and find out about the various types of bike helmets that are available for every type of activity that you opt for and is best for you.
If you are a big cycling fan then you must be completely prepared before you go on your bike for a ride. You make the route plan in your head, you look for shortcuts, you keep things that you might need, some spare tools, but do you think about which bike helmet should you carry based on where are you going? Every type of biking requires a particular bike helmet which is why below I have defined the different types of bike helmets used depending on the particular activity that you will pursue.
- Road Bike Helmets – These type of bike helmets are preferred by people who are enthusiastic about biking on the roads. The road bike helmets are lightweight, have ventilation with an aerodynamic design. To keep the weight low, they typically forgo visors which provide an unobstructed view when you ride your bike on the road.
- Mountain Bike Helmets – Mountain bike helmets are specifically designed for riders who take their bike to mountains. It is designed to ventilate well at low speeds. These type of helmets are easily distinguished by their visors. They have an enhanced rear-head coverage with a firm and secure fit so that it doesn’t fall off when you are going down the slope. The full-face protection feature is an added feature which helps bikers consider this for downhill mountain rides.
- Skate Helmet/Park Helmet – Skate/Park helmet are designed to portray a rugged look with a simple construction. It has a hard outer layer and a foamed inner layer which has a low coverage over the head. They do not come in adjustment settings so you will have to choose the right fit based on the thickness of the helmet.
- Aero Road Helmet – Aerodynamics helmet is essential for certain cyclists. These type of helmet tend to avoid the ventilation so that it can favor a smooth profile. It is wind-tunnel tested so that it can reduce the amount of drag produced. These are especially premium kind of helmets available in the high-end market and is bought by most cyclists along with the regular road helmet.
- Trail Helmet – It is common to meet with accidents when riding on the mountains which is why, we require protection, plenty of protection. Trail helmets are specially designed to provide that. Venting becomes an important feature. They tend to have a thick shell than normal road cycling helmets, sitting lower at the back of the head, they have increased coverage. These are different from the mountain bike helmets as they make use of separate plastic for its construction which has a front cover.
- Enduro helmet – These type of helmets are kind of similar to trail helmets but tend to provide greater coverage which has a thick shell providing more protection to the head and around the base. You can raise the peak if you want to wear goggles. Enduro racing has increased over the years due to the steep and technicality which has allowed the increase in light-weight and full-faced helmets. They also come with a chin-guard.
- BMX – BMX stands for Bicycle Moto-Cross riders. These type of helmets are designed to be light-weight to full-weight which always comes with a chin bar for full face protection, that has a big squared off visor bolted to the helmet. It is made of EPS foam and a shell made of plastic or any composite material like carbon fiber. Few of the helmets come with vents, mainly small as the BMX races are usually short.
BUYING GUIDE TO BIKE HELMETS
It is very hard to distinguish between which helmet you want in the market. After you purchase your bike, there are various essential items that come along the way and bike helmet is one essential part. It is on everyone’s list. There are a lot of different types of bike helmets out there, each varying in design, specific features, price range. All you need is a bit of help to figure what you need. This buyer’s guide will help you find the best after you look at the requirements, the size of the helmet. etc to find the one.
It depends on what type of ride you are going to do. Helmets come with different ventilation features. The vents allow the air to flow over the head in order to keep you cool and comfortable along with your ride. Your helmet will be lighter if it has more vents.
Now it depends on what you want. Some cyclists prefer having a sun-shielding visor attached to the helmet. This feature is common with mountain bike helmets. The visor actually adds a bit of weight and a bit of wind resistance.
A full-faced helmet provides total coverage to the face along with the chin for protection. It has wraparound the chin especially for downhill biking, and also few enduro racers need it.
Some helmets come with straps for more secure and comfortable fit. The strap should be easy to buckle and unbuckle.
Size of the Helmet
It is important to find the right size of the helmet. You can do so by the measuring tape. Always wear the helmet to check the secure fitting so that it doesn’t fall off when you are riding.
TOP 5 BEST BIKE HELMETS
Schwinn Thrasher Bike Helmet
Schwinn Thrasher Bike Helmet is designed in a way so that it does not break even on heavy impacts. It has an amazing shock absorbing feature which prevents the head from being wounded. It is ideal for road biking and also for BMX ride.
It is the best bike helmet as it comes with a secure fit with a dial fit adjustable system, which you can increase or decrease depending on your size. The helmet has gel pads inside so that it can provide comfort by absorbing the sweat. It has 21 flow vents for best ventilation and keeps your head cool. It is easy to strap and has a plastic visor which protects you from the sun while you are riding. It is light in weight and comfortable also.
- The dimensions of the helmet are (W x H x D) – 15.10 x 10.10 x 4.80 inches
- The weight of the helmet is 431 grams
- Bike style is freestyle
- It comes with an adjustable strap
- Safe and secure fit
- Padding that keeps the sweat away and the head dry
- It has a dial fit adjustable system
- Built-in Visor that keeps the head safe from the sun
- It has 21 vents to keep the head cool
- More vents to keep your head cool
- Moisture-Wicking padding helps in absorbing the sweat
- It is light in weight
- Shock absorbent feature
- Dual Fit Adjustable Design
- Easy-To-Adjust Webbing Ensures A Comfortable Fit
- Built-In Visor Provides Increased Shade While Riding
- The visor that is attached is not that strong
- The pads can be a bit loose in a few places
- The exterior shell is not tight
- The helmet seems to sit high on head giving a feeling of little protection while being on the head
- Little Small in size
Basecamp Zoom Cycling Helmet
Basecamp Zoom Cycling Helmet has a shield with a magnetically fastened wrap around the eye protection which provides optical clarity and is very easy to flip it up or even if you want to remove it with your hand. It has 100 percent protection from the harmful UV rays, which is made by high-quality shatterproof PC material and has a long-lasting durability. To keep your head safe from the crashes during accidents, it is made from integral molding technology which makes the helmet in just a single piece ensuring that it can absorb the impact force.
The shell is made of polycarbonate which is lined with EPS foam to create a light-weight helmet for you. The shell has three magnets with the middle magnet fixated and the other two can move around to some extent. This is designed in order to keep the shield attached closely to the helmet. The helmet also comes in a standard size which has an easy dial system with adjustable straps which is best for both men and women. The helmet had a high-performance pad which can be removed for increasing the comfort and managing sweat.
- The dimensions of the product are (W X H X D) – 8.7 x 7.1 x 3.9 inches
- The weight of the helmet is 10.6 ounces
- To manage the impact energy, the helmet has integrated molding technology and Multi-density EOS construction
- The helmet has 7 vents for optimal airflow which minimizes the wind resistance
- It is suitable for a head with a circumference of 22 inches to 24 inches
- It comes with a one-year warranty
- The chin strap is comfortable
- The design is pretty good
- The vision snap is clear
- It is a user-friendly helmet
- The magnetically fastened optical shield provides wraparound eye protection
- Integral Moulding Technology and Multi-Density EPS construction help to manage impact energy.
- 7-vent configuration offers optimal airflow and minimal wind resistance
- Removable high-performance pad design for increased comfort and sweat management.
- Poor airflow through the vents
- The shell build is a bit poor
Giro Revel Cycling Helmet
If you are looking forward to buying an affordable helmet then Giro Revel Helmet is the best choice for you. It has got the best comfort and comes with a removable screen, which is technically provided to guard your eyes against the dust particles, and the rainy days and also from the bright sun. It provides a sturdy covering which protects the head from accidents and is made for any type of cycling.
You can ride on the roads or go downhill, and Giro Revel Bike Helmet will protect you completely. It is the best head protection for you out there in the market. It will protect you from the weather as well as accidents. So if you are looking for one helmet that can be the absolute fit for all types, then this is the one. The helmet has an Acu Dial retention system which makes it easy for using it with just one hand along with a full fit band. The helmet is CPSC certified which means it is for casual cycling, touring, cruiser cycling and MTB.
- The helmet has 22 vents for air flow
- It has a detachable snap-fit visor with an anchor that protects the eyes from dust particles, debris, UV rays
- It has a deep black label that adds visibility
- It is a Roc Loc Sport fit system
- The shell is made of a polycarbonate shell with EPS liner
- The helmet has a snap-fit visor with reinforced anchors
- It has a reflective rear decal
- The dimensions of the helmet are (W x H x D) – 14 x 11 x 6 inches
- The weight of the helmet is 1.5 pounds
- It is available in a variety of 10 colors and sizes as well
- The helmet stays in place
- It has comfortable adjustment straps
- The layered multiple cross padding is very comfortable
- The design is appealing
- The front edge is pretty good in shielding the head
- It can be a fit uncomfortable
Team Obsidian is just the best helmet on every bikers list. It has all the features that you have been looking for. It is comfortable, stylish and sleek in design which has a great shock absorbing feature and is light in weight. The safety is not sacrificed and it has got 22 vents which ensures that you get the best ventilation and remain sweat-free at all times. It has a detachable visor and a cushioned chin-strap for you. It comes in various sizes to test it before you buy.
You can adjust the helmet in any way – horizontally and also vertically. It gives you a comfortable fit and is tight so that it does not come off. It is resistant to shocks and has a high durability. The helmets are made with the latest technology that ensures a thick protective layer which is strong enough. It is comfortable and easy to maintain. It comes with a lifetime warranty which means now you can take full advantage of this helmet by taking it with you on long road rides and mountain rides as well.
- It is shock-absorbant and has a thick outer layer
- The wearables are eco-friendly
- It is available in two sizes
- The helmet has a lifetime warranty
- The shell of the helmet is pretty thick which protects the head from serious injuries
- The light-weight and the sleek design is just excellent
- It has washable pads for easy cleaning
- The visor is removable so that you can use it for mountain and road biking
- The oval-shaped design provides a great comfort in comparison to other models
- Shock absorption technology, 22 massive air vents for an outstanding airflow across the head and a low profile, innovative design!
- This specialized bike helmet for adults and teens has all the added features you need: sleek matte design for a classy look, detachable visor that offers constant protection from the elements, washable pads and a cushioned chin strap for increased comfort!
- A HELMET THAT ACTUALLY FITS. Adjusts in seconds with a quick release chin strap and a dial fit at the back adjustable horizontally for a tighter, snugger fit and vertically so ladies can pass the ponytail.
- LIFETIME MANUFACTURER WARRANTY against defects and a PERFECT FIT GUARANTEE ensures you can order knowing that if it doesn’t fit right they will replace it immediately or refund your money.
- The shape might not be appealing to everyone
Cockatoo Professional Cycling Adjustable Helmet
Cockatoo Professional helmet is just perfect for cycling. It is available in assorted colors. You can have a small, medium or a large size. The shell is a strong EPS equipped with thick PVS which has multi patterns. It does not have a visor but it fully covers the head and has a sturdy built which can sustain any crashes and falls even on the concrete road. It consists of 21 vents which is great for air flow.
- It is an open face helmet
- It is ideal for cycling and skating purposes
- It is meant for both boys and girls
- It is for professional use
- The outer shell is a strong EPS with a thick PVC shell
- It has 21 vents in the helmet
- It includes straps
- It is an adjustable helmet
- It does not have a visor
Now coming to the conclusion, we now have the best 5 helmets listed for you so that you don’t have to look anywhere else. Safety comes first, no matter how you are commuting. Helmets are the best ways to prevent head injuries while riding, which is why going for a good durable helmet is the best option to keep yourself safe. Helmets are designed to reduce the chances of collision of the head to the ground. I hope this article helps you in deciding on the best one according to your requirements.