Best Cycle Helmets For Head Safety
Whether you are a hardcore cycling enthusiast, or you just cycle as a hobby, a helmet with good impact resistance is a must. Cycling without a helmet leaves you vulnerable to potential head injuries in case you fall accidentally or crash at a high speed.
Cycling helmets nowadays come with a lot of features in addition to the minimum safety requirements. This gives cyclists a lot of options and varieties to choose from.
Before you go for finding which one is right for you, just go through the buying guide. In this article, you will also find the different types of cycling helmets along with a list of best cycling helmets and a few FAQs
Top 6 Best Cycle Helmets in India
Different Types of Cycling Helmets
There are different types of cycling helmets available and each one is unique in its own way.
There are special types of helmets for biking on the road, in the mountains, downhill rides, high-speed bikes and for children.
We will go through each type helmet available so you can make an informed decision.
Road Bike Helmets
These types of bike helmets are preferred by people who are enthusiastic about biking on the roads. The road bike helmets are lightweight and have ventilation with an aerodynamic design.
To keep the weight low, they typically forgo visors which provide an unobstructed view when you ride your bike on the road.
Mountain Bike Helmets
Mountain bike helmets are specifically designed for riders who take their bike to mountains. It is designed to ventilate well at low speeds.
These helmets are easily distinguishable due to their unique shape and visor. They have an enhanced rear-head coverage with a firm and secure fit so that it doesn’t fall off when you are going down the slope.
The full-face protection feature is an added feature that protects you in case you lose balance and tumble down a mountain slope.
Skate Helmet/Park Helmet
Skate/Park helmet is designed has a rugged look with a simple construction. It has a hard outer layer and a foamed inner layer. The outer shell is designed to protect from impacts against hard concrete in skating or cycling parks.
Aero Road Helmet
These helmets are widely used by professional cyclists due to the improved aerodynamics. They are scientifically tested in the wind tunnels to minimize the amount of drag they produce. They are made from premium materials and are costlier than standard helmets.
Trail helmets are specially designed to provide protection while riding on mountain trails. They tend to have a thicker shell than standard road cycling helmets, sitting lower at the back of the head for increased coverage.
These are different from the mountain bike helmets as they make use of special plastic for its construction with a a front cover.
These types of helmets are kind of similar to trail helmets but provide greater coverage. The thick shell provides more protection to the head and around the base. You can raise the peak if you want to wear goggles.
BMX stands for Bicycle Moto-Cross riders. They are made of EPS foam and a shell made of plastic or any composite material like carbon fiber. They are usually customized according to the cyclist’s needs.
This buyer’s guide discusses the requirements and factors you need to consider before buying a helmet.
Comfort and padding
The helmet should have a proper ventilated design that will allow airflow at all times. It helps remain cool while cycling during the hot summers. The inner padding should be made using soft breathable material.
Helmets come with different ventilation features. The vents allow the air to flow over the head to keep you cool and comfortable along with your ride. Your helmet will be lighter if it has more vents.
The amount of vents you should go for depends on the terrain you will be cycling on and the weather conditions.
Some cyclists prefer having a sun-shielding visor attached to the helmet. The visor adds a bit of weight and can block vision, but it provides resistance to wind, so you do not need separate goggles.
A full-faced helmet provides total coverage to the face along with the chin for protection. It has wrap-around the chin which is useful for downhill biking and Enduro racing.
The straps should be comfortable and adjustable for a secure fit. It should not cause irritation to the skin.
Size of the Helmet
If a helmet is too tight or loose, you will be very uncomfortable while cycling. So be sure to measure the circumference of your head and buy a helmet accordingly.
6 Best Cycle Helmets
1. Cockatoo CPH Polypropylene Cycling Helmet
Cockatoo Professional helmet is just perfect for cycling. It is available in assorted colors and small, medium, or large sizes.
The shell is made from a strong EPS material with thick PVS which has multiple patterns. It does not have a visor, but it fully covers the head and has a sturdy built which can sustain any crashes and falls even on the concrete road.
It has 21 vents, which is great for airflow.
- It is an open face helmet.
- It is unisex.
- The helmet is a good choice for professional cyclists.
- The straps are comfortable.
- It is adjustable for a snug fit.
- It does not have a visor.
2. Strauss Cycling Helmet
This micro-shell helmet is suitable for mountain bicycles and road bikes. It has with a light-weight design and inner breathable padding for added comfort.
It has an aerodynamic and ventilated design to allow continuous air flow. This keeps you cool during summer while ensuring comfort at all times.
The outer hard polycarbonate shell increases the durability of the helmet while the PC and EPS foam molding absorbs shocks and impacts. Hence, it ensures complete safety and prevents serious head injuries.
- It is an adjustable helmet, with a head circumference of 56-63 cm, internal length of 21 cm and inner width of 18 cm.
- It comes with a polycarbonate shell for increased durability.
- it significantly reduces wind resistance.
- The straps come with an easy to use knob system.
- It is aerodynamically designed with a ventilation system for allowing airflow.
- Features a detachable visor.
- The lightweight design and breathable inner pad make it comfortable to wear.
- The helmet ensures a custom fit with 360-degree adjust-ability.
- The foam and multiple vents help in absorbing impacts.
- It keeps you cool during summers with its ventilated design.
- Quality of the helmet could be better.
3. Airflow Bike Helmet
Team Obsidian is one of the best helmets on every biker list with all the features a cyclist could hope for. It is comfortable and stylish with a sleek design. It has a great shock absorbing feature and is light in weight.
It has 22 vents which ensures that you get the best ventilation and remain sweat-free at all times. It has a detachable visor and a cushioned chin-strap.
It gives you a comfortable fit so that it does not come off. It is resistant to shocks and has high durability. The helmets are made with the latest technology that has a thick protective layer to make sure it is strong enough.
It is comfortable and easy to maintain and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It is shock-absorbent.
- The materials used are eco-friendly.
- It is available in two sizes.
- The shell of the helmet is pretty thick which protects the head from serious injuries.
- The light-weight and the sleek design is excellent.
- It has washable pads for easy cleaning.
- The visor is removable so that you can use it for mountain and road biking.
- The oval-shaped design provides great comfort in comparison to other models.
- The detachable visor offers constant protection from the elements.
- The helmet adjusts in seconds with a quick-release chin strap and a dial fit at the back. It is adjustable horizontally for a tighter, snugger fit and vertically so ladies can pass the ponytail.
- The shape might not be appealing to everyone.
4. Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle Helmet
Schwinn Thrasher Bike Helmet is designed in a way so that it does not break even on heavy impacts. It has an amazing shock absorbing feature which prevents the head from being injured.
The helmet is ideal for road biking and also for BMX riders. It has a secure fit with a dial fit adjustable system, which you change depending on your size.
The helmet has gel pads inside so that it can provide comfort by absorbing the sweat. It has 21 flow vents for the best ventilation and keeps your head cool. It is easy to strap and has a plastic visor that protects you from the sun and wind while you are riding.
- The dimensions of the helmet are (W x H x D) – 15.10 x 10.10 x 4.80 inches.
- The weight of the helmet is 431 grams.
- It comes with an adjustable strap.
- Padding that keeps the sweat away and the head dry.
- Has a built-in visor.
- Sufficient ventilation to for good airflow.
- The vents are successful in keeping your head cool while riding.
- Moisture-wicking padding helps in absorbing the sweat.
- It is light in weight.
- Easy-to-adjust webbing ensures a comfortable fitting.
- The visor that is attached is not too strong.
5. Base Camp Cycling Bike Helmet
Basecamp Zoom Cycling Helmet has a shield with a magnetically fastened wrap-around eye protection. It provides optical clarity and the visor is very easy to flip it up.
It provides 100 percent protection from the harmful UV rays. It is made from high-quality shatterproof PC material and has long-lasting durability.
To keep your head safe from the crashes during accidents, it is made from integral molding technology which makes the helmet in just a single piece. This ensures that it can absorb the impact force.
The shell is made of polycarbonate which is lined with EPS foam which is very lightweight.
The helmet comes in a standard size that has an easy dial system with adjustable straps, which is ideal for both men and women. The helmet has a high-performance pad that is removable to increase the comfort and managing sweat.
- The dimensions of the product are – 8.7 x 7.1 x 3.9 inches.
- The weight of the helmet is 10.6 ounces.
- To manage the impact energy, the helmet has integrated molding technology and multi-density EOS construction.
- The helmet has seven vents for optimal airflow which minimizes the wind resistance.
- It is suitable for ahead with a circumference of 22 inches to 24 inches.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- The chin strap is comfortable.
- The design is pretty good.
- The visor is clear.
- It is a user-friendly helmet.
- The magnetically fastened optical shield provides eye protection.
- The shell build is a poor.
6. Jaspo Multi Utility Sports Helmet for Cycling
This is a high quality helmet from Jaspo that looks and feels great to wear on your head. It is subtle, elegant and strong enough at the same time to protect you from injuries.
The helmet is constructed with an advanced in-mold technology making it light and durable. It has a sleek design with a solid construction that does not compromise on either safety or comfort.
- Multiple sizes available to ensure a proper fit. (56 cm, 58 cm, 62 cm).
- The helmet has an adjustable strap so it is flexible to fit any head shape.
- It is specially designed to provide extra protection to kids and children, but can be used by adults as well.
- It is made from tough and durable PVC, PC and EPS foam for impact protection.
- It features a special aerodynamic design that has multiple vents for good airflow.
- The helmet can be used for other sporting activities apart from cycling, like skating and snowboarding.
- It is a unisex product and fits well for both males and females.
- It helps in reducing sweat and helps you stay cool.
- The inner protective foam is made of thermocol.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does MIPS mean for bike helmets?
MIPS for bike helmet stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
It is referred to as slip-plane technology, and it is designed for reducing the rotational forces which may arise due to specific impacts.
2. Are MIPS helmets better?
MIPS helmets are better in handling rotational impacts than a non-MIPS helmet. These helmets are safer as they reduce destructive forces from reaching the brain.
3. How often should I replace my cycling helmet?
The heat, sun, sweat, and other environmental factors degrade the foam used in the helmet. So, if the helmet is worn frequently, you are advised to replace it every after 3-5 years.
4. How long does a bike helmet last?
Usually, a bike helmet will last for 5-10 years, depending on its use. A frequent user should consider replacing the helmet after three years.
The importance of a good helmet can not be overstated. After going though this article, you will be able to pick the best helmet for yourself by taking into consideration all the features, tips and buying guide.
Out of our reviewed products, we highly recommend the Cockatoo CPH and Strauss Cycling Helmet as they have all the necessary features at an affordable price. If budget is no constrain, you can go for Schwinn Thrasher Bicycle Helmet.