Best Bamboo Toothbrushes in India
Are you inspired by the current popularity of eco-friendly alternatives? Looking for an easy way to start reducing your plastic footprint? The easiest way to join the eco-friendly revolution is to make a simple switch from plastic to wooden toothbrushes.
It is estimated that the consumption of plastic toothbrushes globally is more than 29.4 billion per year. Most of these toothbrushes end up in the sea or landfills and can remain in the ecosystem because each plastic toothbrush takes up to 450 years to decompose.
This is why bamboo toothbrushes have gained popularity recently. They have zero environmental impact because of their biodegradability. Sounds interesting? Then read on to know our top recommendations of bamboo toothbrushes in India.
Top 8 Bamboo Toothbrushes
Benefits of Bamboo Toothbrushes
Now that we have enlightened you about the harmful effects of plastic toothbrushes on the environment let’s look at the benefits of bamboo toothbrushes.
- Bamboo toothbrushes are naturally sustainable as bamboo can be responsibly grown and harvested.
- Bamboo does not cause any harm to the human body.
- The durability of bamboo toothbrushes often exceeds the recommended period of using a toothbrush, which is 2-3 months.
- Bamboo toothbrushes reduce carbon footprint significantly because they are biodegradable to a greater extent than plastic toothbrushes.
- These days, bamboo toothbrushes are extremely common these days at almost the same rate as their plastic counterparts.
Disadvantages of Plastic Toothbrushes
Bamboo toothbrushes are the best alternative to conventional plastic toothbrushes. Before we look into bamboo toothbrushes’ benefits, it is important to know what makes plastic toothbrushes not safe to use.
If you are finding it tough to shift from conventional plastic toothbrushes to bamboo toothbrushes, look at some of the disadvantages of plastic toothbrushes below.
- The manufacturing of plastic brushes involves dangerous plastic by-products, petroleum, and crude oil.
- Each plastic toothbrush takes over 400 years to decompose, which means it can’t be burnt for fuel.
- Plastic brushes kill over 100,00 marine animals and sea birds annually.
- 50 million pounds of waste in landfills belongs to plastic toothbrushes every year that can neither be burnt nor do they get decomposed.
How to Take Care of Bamboo Toothbrushes?
Bamboo toothbrushes are different from plastic toothbrushes in many aspects, and thus they deserve special care. This will ensure they last for a longer time.
- Store your bamboo toothbrush in a dry place, so it does not get wet frequently. This will increase the longevity of the handle.
- Rinse your bamboo toothbrush thoroughly after every use. This will remove any unwanted debris from the bristles that may catch fungus if not properly removed.
- Keep it in a clean place that is free from any source of bacteria and other microbes.
- Replace your bamboo toothbrush once its lifespan is over, or you will see it start chipping at the sides.
- Disinfect your bamboo toothbrush regularly to ensure it is free of harmful microbes and lasts for a longer time.
- Because of bamboo’s porous nature, it can trap water droplets and catch fungus if not properly cared for. So, check for any darkening on the brush, and if you find it, discard the brush immediately.
How to Dispose off a Bamboo Toothbrush?
The sole purpose of shifting from conventional plastic toothbrushes to bamboo toothbrushes is to use more sustainable and eco-friendly products. Bamboo toothbrushes gained popularity because they are biodegradable.
But before disposing of your bamboo toothbrush, there are certain things you need to take care of:
- If the bristles of your bamboo toothbrush are not biodegradable, cut the head off from the handle using a plier.
- Before throwing away the head, make sure to pluck out each bristle and properly place them in a plastic container before throwing them into the bin.
- The handle and bristle-less head are fit for disposal now so that you can place them in your compost bin.
- If you are an expert at DIYs, you can find ways to use the handle in décor or other purposes. It not, just dispose of them in a recycling bin.
Types of Bamboo Toothbrushes
While all bamboo toothbrushes function the same way, there is one feature that may differ amongst them – the bristles. The different types of bristles found in bamboo toothbrushes are:
This is the most commonly found kind of bamboo toothbrush. The bristles could be grade 4 or grade 6 nylon.
Nylon bristles are cheap but not biodegradable. They will need to be cut off from the handle of the bamboo toothbrush after its lifespan.
Nylon bristles will be soft on the teeth and gums. They are firm and hence effectively remove germs, plaque, and stains from the teeth.
This kind of bristle is not vegan-friendly as they are the hair of boars. The advantage is that they are biodegradable. But boar bristles are not cruelty-free, so this is the least preferred type of bristle.
Biodegradable bristles are usually derived from castor oil. They are completely biodegradable. But the disadvantage is that they don’t last for more than two weeks.
These are nylon-bristled brushes that are infused with activated charcoal. This type of bristle has benefits like anti-bacterial, teeth whitening, and stain removal.
Here are some key factors you may want to consider before investing in the right bamboo toothbrush:
Two of the most important criteria to be considered while searching for the right bamboo toothbrush are the size of the toothbrush and its head. The length of the toothbrush should be enough to grab hold of it steadily.
The head size should not be too wide that it feels uncomfortable in the mouth. It should be shaped so that it allows you to reach the inner corners of the mouth.
The most preferred type of bristle is nylon because it is cheaper and softer than other types. There are other options like corn and bamboo fibre, but these alternatives are not as comfortable and cheap as nylon.
If you are looking to save some money while investing in bamboo toothbrushes, buy a family pack like a set of 4 or 6 brushes for the entire family. This will save you money and also encourage more people to try bamboo toothbrushes.
Take a look at the handle shape and size. It should not have sharp and defined edges. Rounded handles provide more comfort than sharp-edged handles.
You can also search for bamboo toothbrushes that have tongue-cleaning surfaces on the head. Zig-zag cut bristles will provide better reach into the gaps of the teeth to remove dirt.
Mark of Differentiation
If you invest in a pack of bamboo toothbrushes, make sure they come with a visible and easily recognizable mark of differentiation so each member of your family can know which one is theirs.
Top 8 Bamboo Toothbrushes
1. Zeco Bamboo Toothbrush
Zeco Care aims at reducing plastic waste by manufacturing 100% biodegradable bamboo toothbrushes. Zeco bamboo toothbrush is organic and compostable.
It is a comprehensive oral cleaner designed to clean and whiten your teeth. This environment-friendly toothbrush is 100% BPA-free and vegan-friendly.
- Zeco bamboo toothbrush has an S-shape that fits perfectly in the hands
- Each pack contains 4 pieces of toothbrushes
- It has soft charcoal nylon bristles that are infused with activated charcoal powder
- The carbonized smooth handle provides ergonomic benefits
- This toothbrush is biodegradable and compostable
- It has a ridged surface behind the bristles that can be used as a tongue cleaner
- The charcoal-infused bristles help in whitening the teeth
- It has a smooth handle that is free of splinters
- The bristles’ softness keeps the gums healthy by preventing bleeding
- It works well with regular and activated-charcoal toothpaste
- It is suitable for men, women, boys, and girls
- The bristles help in removing tooth stains from tea, coffee, wine, etc.
- Each brush has a unique mark like sun, moon, star, and clouds to help family members identify their brush
- The bristles could be softer
2. Terrabrush Slim Bamboo Toothbrushes
Terrabrush is focused on creating sustainable and eco-friendly products, one of them being bamboo toothbrushes. Terrabrush slim bamboo toothbrush is shaped uniquely to fit the palms easily.
This brush is available in packs of 2 and 4. It is one of the best bamboo toothbrushes and aims at making an everyday item less plastic.
- Terrabrush bamboo toothbrush is has a splinter-free handle
- Each brush has bristles of different colours like pink, orange, yellow, and green
- The handle and outer package are 100% eco-friendly
- This brush is developed by scientists
- Each brush is made from sustainably sourced MOSO bamboo
- A pack of 4 Terrabrush bamboo toothbrushes will last one person a full year
- The curved contour on the handle allows you to hold the brush comfortably
- The handle is 100% biodegradable
- This brush is cruelty-free and vegan-friendly
- The handle is slim and suitable for children
- The overall build of this toothbrush is strong and durable
- The bristles could be softer
- The handle catches fungus very quickly
3. Rusabl Bamboo Toothbrush
Rusabl Bamboo Toothbrush is made of all-natural and 100% biodegradable bamboo. Each pack contains a set of four bamboo toothbrushes.
Rusabl grows its bamboo organically. This bamboo is antibacterial and eco-friendly. It is a good organic toothbrush choice to go for.
- Each brush is marked differently for easy identification
- The bristles are charcoal-infused to help in teeth whitening
- The handle is slender yet sturdy
- The bristles are soft and BPA-friendly
- Charcoal-infused bristles prevent the attack of fungi and bacteria
- The handle has a sleek shape
- The ergonomic design gives a better grip
- Charcoal also helps in fighting plaque and preventing foul breath
- The handle is water-resistant and hence durable
- The handle is made of 100% MOSO bamboo
- The bristles wore off after a few days of use
- The brush catches fungus soon
4. Mirakia Bamboo Toothbrush
Mirakia bamboo toothbrush is available in sets of 5, 10, and 15. This non-plastic toothbrush is suitable for adults and children.
Each brush is made from natural and eco-friendly bamboo, and thus it is biodegradable. The bristles of this brush contain charcoal extract for a good cleaning.
- The handle is 100% biodegradable
- The bristles are soft and 100% BPA-free
- This brush is carbonization treated
- It is cruelty-free and vegan-friendly as well
- The bristles of this bamboo toothbrush have thin tips that deeply clean between the teeth gaps
- The charcoal extracts in the bristles help in teeth whitening and keeping the mouth odourless
- The curved edge of the head helps the toothbrush reach the inside and corner of the mouth easily
- The handle is very sturdy with a smooth finish
- The bristles are soft and suitable for those who have sensitive gums
- The quality could be better for its price
5. Bigbluemarble Bamboo Toothbrush
Bigbluemarble bamboo toothbrush has natural whitening benefits with its charcoal-infused bristles. It cleans the gums and teeth to give you a sparkling smile.
This brush is naturally anti-bacterial. It has a sturdy build and is 100% eco-friendly. One pack contains four bamboo toothbrushes.
- Each brush in this set has a unique colour on the handle to identify the brush easily
- The colours available are blue, green, and red
- One brush has no colour on it, which also helps in the identification
- This brush has soft bristles that don’t shed or fray
- It is soft on the gums and teeth but tough on dirt
- It is best suited for kids
- The handle is rounded without any edges and provides a better grip
- The handle is fungus-resistant, so you don’t have to wipe it dry after each use
- This bamboo charcoal toothbrush is packed in eco-friendly packaging
- The overall build of this brush is sturdy and elegant
- You can put the handle and packaging in your compost
- The bamboo is not polished well
6. Amazon Brand – Solimo Bamboo Toothbrush
Solimo is an Amazon-owned brand that produces household appliances and personal care products. Solimo bamboo toothbrush comes in a pack of four toothbrushes.
Made of 100% biodegradable bamboo, Solimo bamboo toothbrushes are affordable and effective. Each brush is 18cm in length.
- This eco-friendly toothbrush helps in effective plaque removal
- It has soft bristles that are BPA-free and hence safe for everyday use
- The handle is splinter-free and has smooth edges
- The rounded head of this toothbrush targets hard-to-reach areas in the mouth
- The bristles are gentle on the enamel and gums
- There are differentiator marks on the brushes to identify which brush belongs to whom easily
- The bristles have a unique aqua green colour that will attract kids and encourage them to use an eco-friendly alternative to plastic toothbrushes
- This bamboo toothbrush has an easy-grip handle for gentle yet effective cleaning of the teeth and gums
- The outer packaging and the handle are 100% biodegradable
- This toothbrush is not fungus-resistant
- The bristles are quite hard
7. Garden Next Door Bamboo Toothbrush
Garden Next Door Bamboo toothbrush has ergonomic features. This brush is lightweight yet durable. Each pack comes with two bamboo toothbrushes, each packed in individual packaging.
There is also a free bamboo tongue cleaner with each pack of two bamboo toothbrushes.
- The handle is made of real bamboo
- This toothbrush has the natural texture of bamboo and grains
- There are natural bamboo nodes that show the superior quality of bamboo used to make this toothbrush
- This bamboo toothbrush is available in packs of 4, 6, 8, and 10
- The handle is broad at the bottom to give the brush a sturdy structure
- This toothbrush has a curvy handle that gives a comfortable grip while brushing
- It has smooth and splinter-free edges that fit perfectly in the palms
- This bamboo toothbrush has the perfect handle size to ensure all-around cleaning of the mouth
- The free tongue cleaner could be better
- The bristles are not charcoal activated
8. Woodykraft Bamboo Toothbrush
This is a pack of 2 bamboo toothbrushes – one with charcoal bristles and the other with white bristles. This toothbrush comes in packs of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 20.
Each bamboo toothbrush from Woodykraft ensures effective cleaning and environment-friendly dental care.
- The bristles are soft and 2-3 times denser than other toothbrushes
- This bamboo toothbrush cleans the teeth without damaging them
- The handle is sturdy and splinter-free
- This bamboo toothbrush has natural antibacterial properties
- It removes plaque effectively
- The bristles are gentle on the teeth and gums
- The simple design is easy to handle
- The bristles start falling out after some time
1. How often should a bamboo toothbrush be replaced?
If you can give the proper care to your bamboo toothbrush, as mentioned above, it will last for a longer time. But The American Dental Association recommends replacing your toothbrush every 3 months.
This is applied to bamboo toothbrushes as well. Once the bristles begin to fray, it is time to replace the toothbrush.
2. Does a wooden toothbrush catch mould?
As stated earlier, the porous nature of bamboo allows the accumulation of moisture and hence fungus. But it depends on how well you care for your brush and where you store it. Use a towel to keep your brush dry after every use.
3.How long does a bamboo toothbrush take to decompose?
Typically, a bamboo toothbrush should decompose in 4-6 months in normal soil. It also depends on the compost bin you use and the composition of the soil.
4. How to disinfect a bamboo toothbrush?
- After every use, dry your bamboo toothbrush with a dry towel. You can also place it in direct sunlight to ensure no moisture is left on the brush.
- Disinfect your bamboo toothbrush occasionally using hot water. You can use a mild soap to clean it before disinfecting it.
- Do not use a dishwasher or microwave to disinfect your bamboo toothbrush.
- After disinfecting your bamboo toothbrush, place it in a clean and dry holder.
Bamboo toothbrushes are the best and easiest way to begin your journey towards a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle. The increasing popularity of bamboo toothbrushes has resulted in them being available in different shapes, sizes, and colours today.
If you are serious about making the shift from plastic to bamboo toothbrushes, we hope our recommendations in this article will help you choose the right one for you and your family. Keep yourself well-informed about the special care that bamboo toothbrushes need.
Sharing is, indeed, caring. So if you are convinced about beginning your journey with bamboo toothbrushes, share about it with family and friends so together we can all make this small initiative truly beneficial for the planet.