Best Baby Skin Care Products for Healthy Skin: Reviews & Buying Guide
There are only a few things cuter and softer than a baby’s delicate skin. Who can resist squeezing those chubby cheeks, holding babies in arms, gently caressing their backs, and showering them with kisses?
Born with such amazing but delicate skin, the babies require us to take the utmost care of their skins to keep them moisturized and hydrated.
Always consult your pediatrician before using skin products on your babies.
Top 11 Baby Skincare products in India
Types of baby Skincare products
The list of baby Skincare products is seemingly endless and includes baby lotions, baby ointment, baby creams, petroleum jelly, baby oil, baby powder, soap, shampoo, etc.
Let’s briefly discuss the types of baby Skincare products that make up an essential part of your baby’s make-up and health kit.
The baby’s skin is soft and thin. It needs regular moisturization as it rapidly loses moisture and eventually dries out.
Even though the dry skin is harmless, in the absence of proper care it may cause various skin conditions such as eczema, rashes, redness, inflammation, itching, cracking, flaking, etc.
The baby lotions are ideal Skincare products for treating dry skin and keeping it moisturized. The lotions constitute fewer oils and creams and high water content. They provide sufficient hydration to the skin without feeling sticky.
The ointments are oily and greasy substances that hydrate the baby’s skin.
Due to its less water (20%) and high oily (80%) content, it feels very thick and greasy on the skin. It forms a protective coating on your baby’s skin.
As it constitutes less or no preservatives like EDTA, parabens,etc. it does not cause skin irritation. Ointment acts as an optimal choice for dry and allergy-prone baby skin.
Avoid using it on acne-prone baby skin and healing skin that requires air circulation. It is usually applied for medicinal purposes for treating many skin irritations and rashes.
The baby cream constitutes water and oil in equal proportions. Hence it feels lighter than the ointment. It provides skin moisturization and protects the skin against rashes and irritations.
The baby creams are good for general, all-over application. However, they are not suitable for extremely dry skin and sensitive baby skin.
The baby cream may constitute preservatives as it contains high water content. You should carefully look at the constituents of the skin creams before applying them on your baby’s skin.
The baby oils are used less for moisturizing and more for massaging your baby’s skin. It helps your baby to relax and put him to sleep. It also prevents and heals dry, scaly, itchy skin, and other skin irritations.
For babies with sensitive skin, natural oils such as coconut oil, vegetable oils, or mineral oils are recommended.
For the baby’s skin, use only talc-free powder and ensure to keep it away from the baby’s face.
It is recommended to use the baby powder rarely and that too in a lesser amount as the talc or cornstarch present in the baby powder may cause allergic or breathing problems for babies.
Petroleum jelly is an effective baby skincare product that moisturizes the skin and prevents diaper rashes.
It also heals minor skin injuries such as scrapes or burns. It forms a water-protective barrier that heals the skin and retains the moisture.
The sunscreen is recommended for babies older than six months. The skin of newborn infants less than six months is too sensitive for applying sunscreen.
When your baby’s skin is exposed to harmful UV rays of the sun, it may cause skin rashes or burns. The sunscreen serves to protect the skin of your babies from these harsh UV rays.
Whenever you take your baby outdoors in the sunlight, ensure to apply sunscreen lotion on his/her skin, and cover him with protective clothing. Ensure to use a sunscreen prepared from natural ingredients like carrot seed oil, coconut oil, almond oil, shea butter, etc.
If you notice diaper rashes on your baby’s skin, apply the diaper rash ointment on the affected area.
The diaper rash ointment forms a protective coating and heals the rough, redness, scaly, dry, and itchy skin irritations.
Baby soap, shampoos, cleanser, and washers
Don’t apply soap or shampoo on newborn babies until a few months after their birth. Also, use soap or shampoo sparingly on your babies to prevent their skin from getting dry.
Use a baby soap or shampoo that comprises natural ingredients and oils such as olive, sesame, or calendula oil. Don’t try an adult soap or shampoo on your babies.
Avoid the soaps or shampoos that contain artificial colors, fragrances, parabens or chemicals like propylene glycol, triclosan, diethanolamine, etc. This would ensure that your baby doesn’t get any allergic reactions.
Check the labels of washers, cleansers, shampoos, and soaps carefully to ensure that their ingredients are safe for your babies. Always use soap, shampoo, washer, and cleanser as per the appropriate age-group of your babies.
Ensure to use a mild, tear-free, and natural shampoo for your baby’s hair.
Choose fragrance-free laundry detergents for washing your baby’s clothing. Check the ingredients and ensure there are no harsh chemicals used in its preparation.
This would protect the baby’s sensitive skin against skin rashes and other skin irritations.
Your baby skin may be sensitive to a variety of allergic substances like pollens, chemicals, artificial color, fragrance, etc. If that is the case, you need to use only those baby Skincare products that are hypoallergenic in nature.
Otherwise, your baby may develop asthma or allergic problems.
Natural products are the safest to use on your baby’s skin. You only need to check the product’s labels to ensure that none of its constituents cause allergy.
Skin Condition and purpose
Every baby’s skin is special and unique in its way. Some babies have sensitive skin while others may have very dry skin.
You need to understand the nature of your baby’s skin and use baby skincare products accordingly.
For dry skin, you need to use baby products that hydrate the skin and moisturize it. For treating and healing skin rashes, you need to apply ointment and lotions. For protection against the sun, you need sunscreen lotion.
Depending on the skin’s condition and your objective, you need to wisely choose the appropriate Skincare product.
Mild and gentle
Don’t use a baby skincare product that constitutes harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, colors, or fragrance. These harsh substances may irritate your baby’s skin and results in skin rashes, redness, and inflammation.
Choose only those products that are mild and gentle on your baby’s soft and smooth skin. Such products feel comfortable on your baby’s skin and keep him relaxed and cheerful.
The baby may get irritated with the skincare products that have a strong fragrance. Prefer a product that has no or a minimal fragrance to keep your baby free from fragrance related allergic reactions.
The best way to ensure that a skincare product has mild fragrance is to check out its label and see its constituents.
Before you buy any baby Skincare product, check its label to confirm if it is dermatologically tested. That way you can be assured that it is 100% safe for your baby’s soft, delicate, and sensitive skin.
Mineral oil and paraffin-free
Avoid using baby skincare products that comprise mineral oils and paraffin. These ingredients form an effective protective coating on the baby’s skin.
While the mineral oils and paraffin retain the body moisture and hydrate the skin, it also prevents your baby’s skin from releasing the unwanted toxins.
Moreover, these products also interfere with the absorption of essential vitamins and nutrients in the body.
Instead, choose the baby products that have organic oil obtained from pure vegetable oils. These natural ingredients moisturize and nourish the baby’s skin without any unwanted side effects.
The phthalates are the harmful chemicals that are used for adding fragrances in cosmetics products such as shampoos, lotions, and powders.
They are also known to disrupt the normal hormonal functions inside the bodies.
Avoid all the baby skincare products that contain phthalates and choose only phthalates-free baby products.
The parabens are the petroleum-based preservatives that are widely used in cosmetics products such as shampoos, body lotions, creams, etc; to increase their shelf-life.
These parabens are known to cause allergic reactions and skin conditions such as rashes, eczema, dermatitis, etc; on the baby’s soft skin. Moreover, they are also known to interfere with hormonal function in the body
To ensure the safety of baby care products, ensure that they are parabens-free.
The talc-powder has raised immense safety concerns among the consumers as it is labeled as a toxic carcinogen that can cause cancer. It is also linked with breathing problems in babies.
Ensure to strictly avoid all the baby skincare products that contain talc powder.
Rather choose a talc-free powder that keeps your baby skin dry, fresh, and safe.
No water products
Those baby skincare products that do not list water as one of their constituents are likely to be the safe products as they don’t have harmful chemical stabilizers, fillers, or preservatives.
These products with no-water-ingredients are safe for your baby’s skin. However, always consult your pediatrician before trying any product that you are not aware of.
Packaging and Quantity
While purchasing a baby lotion, soap, shampoo, sunscreen, or any other skincare products, ensure to check the packaging and look for the actual quantity of the product inside the package.
Some products have robust external packaging but they have less quantity of the product. On the other hand, a product with average packaging may contain more product volume or quantity.
Choosing the product with appropriate packaging and quantity saves you money and gives you long-lasting usage.
You may forget to check the expiry date of the product in your excitement of buying the best product for your little ones.
Always check the expiry date of the baby skincare products and avoid buying the products that are expired or nearing their expiry.
A wide variety of baby skincare products are available for you to choose from.
The branded products are usually costlier than local ones. However, they promise the good quality of products.
Consider the baby skincare products that are available in your budget. Sometimes you may also get deals or discounts on certain products.
Therefore, do careful research about the prices and brands before buying a high-quality, safe, and skin-friendly product for your babies.
Top 11 Baby Skincare products
1. Himalaya Baby Massage Oil
Himalaya is a global herbal health care brand that combines ancient Ayurvedic practices with advanced technologies for providing premium-quality products across the globe.
The baby massage oil by Himalaya comes packed with a unique formulation designed for providing natural nourishment for baby’s sensitive skin.
- A unique formulation that combines the power of vegetable oils and herbs
- The massage oil is light and non-staining
- Vitamin E in Olive Oil serves to nourish and guard the baby’s skin
- Winter cherry soothes the baby’s skin and enhances the skin tone
- Exerts anti-microbial and soothing properties for healthy skin
- A hypoallergenic massage oil that is free from mineral oils and animal fats
- Clinically proven to be mild baby massage oil for babies
- Serves dual function as a massaging oil before bath and as a moisturizer after bath
- Maintains natural and healthy skin glow without sticky after-feel
- Improves skin softness and reduces skin dryness
- Massage oil promotes overall growth and development of skin
- No negative points observed so far
2. Johnson’s Baby Soap For Bath
Johnson boasts of being India’s #1 baby care brand that employs best-in-class technology and material for delivering products targeted at comprehensive baby care, women’s health, and beauty.
Johnson baby’s soap acts as a good moisturizer for preserving the baby’s skin moisture and feels mild and gentle on the baby’s skin.
- Infused with 1/4th body lotion and Vitamin E that preserves skin’s moisture
- Clinically mildness proven soap that preserves the natural skin moisture in babies
- Dermatologically tested soap that provides 100% gentle skincare
- A safe product that has passed 5 level safety assurance processes
- Produces a rich and creamy lather that makes your baby’s skin soft and flexible
- Unique bar design that is convenient to grip for comfortable bathing
- Does not contain any harmful chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, and dye
- Does not cause irritation or rashes on baby’s skin
- A safe product that is recommended by doctors
- Soap can be used by the entire family
- Expensive soap that is priced a bit on the higher side
3. Johnson’s Cotton Touch Newborn Baby Lotion
Johnson’s Baby Lotion helps in nourishing and moisturizing newborn baby’s sensitive skin. It provides gentle care to the baby’s skin and balances its pH level.
It is designed for zero irritation and provides quick absorption for better moisturisation. The effect lasts for 24 hours and does not leave any residue.
- Suitable for infants from 0-6 months with dry skin
- Has a pleasant fragrance that makes the baby happy
- Free from parabens, sulfates & dyes
- Perfectly balanced pH to keep the baby’s skin soft, healthy and irritation free
- Ultra light, breathable formula for fast absorption and long lasting effect
- Clinically proven to be mild and gentle on newborns
- No negative points observed so far
4. Baby Dove Rich Moisture Nourishing Baby Lotion
Baby dove offers an impressive range of skincare products that are formulated for baby’s delicate skin. Its range of products comprises baby dove massage oil, baby shampoo, baby lotion, and baby bathing bar.
The baby lotion by Baby dove is a rich moisturizing and nourishing lotion that meets the requirements of the delicate skin.
- Prepared from 100% skin natural nutrients that are similar to the nutrients that are naturally found in the skin
- Hypoallergenic lotion with pH neutral and gentle formula
- Dermatological and pediatrician tested product that feels safe and gentle on baby’s skin
- Parabens-free, Dyes-free and Phthalates-free product that is extremely safe to use for baby’s delicate skin
- Unique fragrance that is designed specifically for baby’s delicate skin
- Provides good skin nourishment from day 1 of usage
- Suitable for all skin types
- Replenishes and moisturizes the baby’s skin barrier for 24 hours
- Soothes and hydrates the skin to keep your baby’s skin soft
- Pleasant mild fragrance
- The bottle is not handy to use with a single hand
5. Sebamed Baby Protective Facial Cream
Sebamed baby protective facial cream is designed to protect your baby’s beautiful face. Its rich formulation offers effective relief against rashes and skin irritations.
The protective facial cream soothes the irritation and acts against dryness for maintaining the soft and delicate skin. The product is made in Germany.
- Enriched with Vitamin E and lipid compounds that act as a strong moisturizer and also protects against salivary rash
- A unique formulation that comprises panthenol or provitamin B5 that strengthens the keratin-based protein tissues of the skin. It recovers the baby’s skin from scrapes and bruises.
- Rich in allantoin that forms a protective layer over the skin for maintaining the desired moisture of the skin
- Light textured cream that does not leave any greasy residue
- A safe product that is free from SLS and parabens, paraffin, formaldehyde, dioxin
- Hyaluronic acid and squalene prevents dryness by enhancing the protective acid mantle of baby’s skin
- Dermatological and clinically tested protective cream that maintains the 5.5 pH value of a baby’s skin
- Anti-bacterial effect safeguards against the pathogenic microbes and harmful environmental factors
- Improves the resistance of baby’s skin
- Heals the skin irritation due to dryness
- No negative points observed
6. Mom & World Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion
Mom & world mineral-based sunscreen lotion is formulated for providing babies with broad-spectrum SPF 50 protection.
It features Zinc and Titanium mineral-based formulation that rapidly absorbs in the baby’s skin and provides protection against harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Enriched with Zinc Oxide that works as a mild astringent and shows antiseptic properties. It also acts as a protective coating against mild skin abrasion and irritation
- Contains Titanium Oxide that provides UVA, PA+++ and UVB protection
- The potent formulation that comprises Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin B3 boosts collagen synthesis, reduces UV damage and retains moisture in the skin
- A water-resistant product that is quickly absorbed in the skin
- Combination of Vitamin C, E and B3 ensures antioxidant properties, deep skin nourishment, and prevention of wrinkles on the skin
- A hypoallergenic formulation that is non-greasy and can be applied anywhere on the skin
- The toxins, sulfate, paraben and mineral oil-free product contains only natural & pure oils
- Tones and smoothens the skin texture and appearance
- An amazing fragrance that is readily accepted by the kids and adults alike
- Extra sensitive formula that blends easily into skin
- Made from only plant-derived ingredients and is cruelty-free
- Compact and travel-friendly size
- No negative points observed
7. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream
Cetaphil baby diaper cream is a made-in-Germany soothing formulation for providing effective relief from diaper rashes. It maintains the baby’s skin soft and smooth and protects it from getting chafed.
This baby diaper cream forms a protective breathable barrier on the skin that keeps it hydrated and healthy.
- Enriched with natural ingredients such as Chamomile, Soybean oil, Sunflower seed oil, almond oil, glycerine and shea butter
- Hypoallergenic cream that contains Zinc Oxide, Panthenol, Vitamin E and B5 for 24 hours protection and moisturization
- Provides effective soothing action that provides immense relief in diaper rash symptoms overnight
- Protects the delicate skin by creating a protective and breathable barrier against wetness
- Moisturizes the skin by keeping it soft and hydrated
- Exert effective skin repairs action that alleviates diaper rash irritations
- A clinically proven formula that is designed for all skin types including sensitive skin
- A non-sticky and non-greasy product that does not contain any mineral oils, alcohol and soap
- A safe product that is paraben-free and does not contain any animal origin ingredients
- No negative points observed
8. Mee Mee Baby Powder
Mee Mee baby powder is a refreshing formulation that keeps your baby’s skin fresh and dry while being extremely light on the delicate skin.
The manufacturer claims it to be a safe product to use from the baby’s birth. It can be used for multiple purposes including after changing a diaper, after taking a shower, or just to freshen up anytime during the day.
- Velvety soft fresh feel baby powder that comprises talc, fragrance, and BHT
- Dermatologically/clinically tested to be gentle on delicate baby’s skin
- Hypoallergenic powder that does not cause any allergic reactions
- Parabens-free and SLS-free powder that ensures safety for usage in babies
- Provides amazing fragrance that feels refreshing and pleasing
- Can be used in babies from their birth
- A safe product that keeps the skin fresh and dry
- Attractive bottle design
- Microbiologically tested
- The bottle has big-cap holes which lead to wastage of powder
9. Sebamed Baby Wash
Sebamed baby wash is a made-in-Germany mild wash-active compound that is designed for gentle cleansing of the delicate skin of babies.
The distinctive ingredients of the product provide high skin tolerance and improve the resistance of the baby’s delicate skin.
- Enriched with botanical lipids that are identical to vernix and allantoin, these protect and hydrate the baby’s skin in the same manner as in mother’s womb
- Extra soft sugar based mild cleanser that has a pH value of 5.5
- Skin-friendly pH level 5.5 promotes the growth of the skin’s acid mantle
- A tear-free formulation that is free from formaldehyde and it does not irritate baby’s delicate eyes
- Rich in allantoin that safeguards against the dryness and makes skin soft and smooth
- Suitable for all skin types from the first day
- Provides effective protection against dryness and maintains the natural moisture balance in the skin
- Supports the skin’s natural lipid barrier of babies
- 100% soap and alkali-free product
- Dermatological and clinically tested baby wash
- Mild botanical fragrance
- No negative points observed so far
10. Dabur Lal Tail 500ml – Ayurvedic Baby Oil
Dabur Lal Tail is an ayurvedic oil formulation that combines the power of natural herbs for providing immense therapeutic effects in babies. Being completely natural it does not cause any side-effects.
- Enrich with Ratanjyot that protects the baby’s skin, Camphor that enhances the blood circulation, Shankha-pushpi that strengthens the skin and keep it healthy, and Urad that provides nourishment to bones and muscles
- Clinically proven ayurvedic oil that results in 2 times faster physical growth in babies
- Regular massage with the oil makes your baby’s bones and muscles stronger
- Suitable for all skin types
- Relieves colic and other digestive problems
- Helps baby gain weight
- A safe product prepared from natural ingredients
- Combination of Ayurvedic oils and natural herbs provides medicinal values with multiple health benefits
- Nourishes the baby’s skin and keeps it soft
- Good oil-massage puts your baby to sound sleep quickly and induces better sleeping cycles
- Thick oil that is tough to remove from the body after the massage
11. Mamaearth Mineral Based Sunscreen Baby Lotion
Mamaearth mineral-based sunscreen baby lotion boasts of Asia’s 1st Madesafe certified toxin-free product.
It features active Zinc Oxide formulation that provides effective protection against harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Enriched with Zinc Oxide with an SPF level of 20 that provides protection against harmful UVA and UVB radiation
- Contains Cocoa and Shea butter that moisturizes and hydrates the skin by forming a waterproof layer of safety
- Packed with Aloe-vera/Calendula extracts that serve to heal and soothe the skin, they also improve the skin appearance
- A dermatologically tested product for sensitive skin of babies in the age group of 0-10 years
- The pH-balanced product that maintains and balances the skin pH levels
- A hypoallergenic and non-greasy formulation that is suitable for baby’s sensitive skin
- A safe product that is free from parabens, sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, and mineral oils
- Possess natural fragrance
- Provide natural mineral-based protection from harmful sun radiation and prevents skin irritation
- Moisturizes and strengthens the skin, Improves the skin health
- Does not leave a white cast
- Protection lasts for only a few hours
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What products do you need for a newborn baby?
A newborn baby needs a wide range of products including baby lotions, baby ointment, baby creams, baby oil, baby powder, baby laundry detergent, petroleum jelly, sunscreen, diaper rash ointment, baby soap, baby shampoo, baby washers, etc.
2. What is the best moisturizer for newborns?
The best moisturizers for newborns are as follows:
3. What are the best baby Skincare products?
The best baby Skincare products are as follows:
4. Can you use baby soap on the face?
You should avoid cleaning your baby’s face with baby soap on an ongoing basis.
However, if your baby has acne, you may need to clean his/her face with baby soap.
Consult your pediatrician for using the best baby soap for cleaning your baby’s face.
Never wash your baby’s face with adult soap.
The refreshing glow of a baby’s smooth skin inspires awe in us. No wonder time seems to stand still as we spend hours playing with cuddly skins of our cutie-pies.
Amongst the baby Skincare products, the natural baby Skincare products are the clear favorites. However, you need to be cautious if your baby has asthma or allergies, or any other skin conditions like dry skin, eczema or diaper rashes.
We have compiled the best-in-class baby skincare products along with their reviews and buyer’s guide for you to buy the best and safe skincare products for your little sweethearts.