Best Baby Feeding Spoons
When shopping for baby products, many people do not put baby spoons into consideration. They simply do not worry about them. As a young parent, you need to keep it in mind that in the same you select baby feeding chairs, clothing, soaps and lotions among other baby’s must-have products, you should do the same when it comes to your baby’s feeding spoons.
Typical teaspoons in your kitchen will never work for your little one. They are way too deep for your baby to use and will only make the feeding process frustrating. The worst scenario is where your baby’s mouth gets hurt from using these spoons.
Baby spoons are made with soft and flexible materials and are often shallow to enable your little one to self-feed when the time arrives. Ensure that you pay full attention to the features of the spoon before purchasing it for your little one. The best baby spoons even act as teethers.
Today’s market is full of baby spoons, and just like any other baby product, you have to be extremely careful when selecting some for your baby. Getting the wrong spoon will only make spoon-feeding difficult. You also would never want to expose your baby to dangers related to the use of low-quality spoons.
You are in luck today since, with this guide, you’ll have an easy time getting the right spoons for your baby. You will also get to know the different types of baby spoons, what to consider before purchasing one and also learn a few tips on baby spoon-feeding.
Ten best baby Feeding Spoons
Best Heat Sensitive Feeding Spoon
Best Squeeze Feeding Spoon
Best Durability Feature
Best Soothing Feature
Color Changing Spoon
Best Silicone Feeding Spoon
Best Lightweight Feature
Best for First-Timers
Spoon Feeding Tips
- Always use a soft-tipped shallow spoon to find your baby to avoid hurting her delicate mouth.
- Never overload the spoon. Scoop the right quantity that can fit in your little one’s mouth.
- As your baby feeds, let them enjoy touching the food in her bowl. You can even offer her a spoon, and you’ll realize that she’ll start copying you.
- When your baby grows older, increase the frequency and the amount of food you feed her daily.
- Wait for your little one to guide you when spoon-feeding them. If your baby wants more food, she’ll open her mouth when you bring the spoon closer.
- Try to make your baby’s mealtimes relaxed and unhurried. Your baby might dislike getting spoon-fed if her mealtimes are rushed and interrupted.
- Wait until your baby wakes up from a nap if you want to succeed in feeding her, especially if just starting to spoon-feed her. A tired baby will never cooperate since they usually are in no mood to try out new things.
- Always watch for your baby’s signals that they have had enough already. Your little one might turn his head once you try to take the spoon towards his mouth or refuse to open his mouth. Sometimes, your baby will appear to be more interested in playing than eating.
Types of Baby Spoons
The following are the different types of baby spoons you can find in the market today.
These are the most common baby spoons since most parents like using them to feed their babies since most are soft and smooth. They are generally easy to clean since all you need to do is throw them in the dishwasher.
Silicone spoons are safe for your little one to chew and bite as they learn how to eat. When buying the spoons, always ensure that they are BPA-free.
Just like the name suggests, these spoons come with a detachable bamboo handle. They are biodegradable and always cute to look at. They usually have a plastic spoon part that you can wash separately after feeding your baby.
Combined spoon and teether
These spoons are the best for your baby if learning to self-feed. They are made a little larger and have a chewier texture.
They will, therefore, suit your teething baby, especially if she likes to bite on the spoon when eating. The teething element will make your baby want to feed using the spoon more.
With toddlers, anything can happen, especially when learning to self-feed using shaped spoons. Your baby will always be clumsy when holding a spoon for the first time as this will be one of the most challenging tasks for her at the beginning. That’s why you need a shaped spoon for your loved one.
Ergonomic spoons are chunkier and come specially shaped to help your baby improve their excellent motor skills.
Stainless steel baby spoons
The best thing about stainless steel spoons is that they are long-lasting and safe for your baby so that you won’t have to worry about toxic chemicals. These spoons are however best suited for older kids who have already gone through the teething period and grown several teeth.
When using these spoons, you have to be extremely careful not to hurt your baby’s mouth. You also can’t give them to your little one to self-feed since should they even hit their face with it, it can lead to severe injuries.
The following are the things you need to consider before you purchase feeding spoons for your baby.
You need to get your baby spoons that won’t subject them to any harm. Your little one isn’t sophisticated enough to use a spoon with a metal end. You should give them such a spoon, and they chomp hard on it, the results can be grievous. The spoon can hurt your baby’s delicate gums and mouth in general.
Get a spoon with soft material such as plastic, rubber, silicone, and wood for your baby when she grows older.
The size of your baby’s spoon matters a lot. You need to remember that what appear small to you might be just the right size for your baby. Go for a spoon with the perfect size to fit in your baby’s mouth.
Always select lightweight spoons for your baby. You also wouldn’t want to hold a bulky spoon when feeding your little one. A lightweight spoon will help your baby to learn self-feeding with ease.
Ensure that the spoons you get for your baby do not expose her to choking risks. For example, spoons with loose ends such as bamboo spoons can expose your baby to the risk since they have removable ends. If you go for such a spoon, you have to keep a close eye on your baby at all times to ensure that the end doesn’t come off.
When going for any item, you need to ensure that it can last for the longest time possible. You do not want to purchase a product that breaks down or fails to carry out its function a few weeks after purchase.
The same goes for baby spoons, always ensure that you get durable spoons that won’t require you to go for shopping sprees now and then. Getting a durable spoon will also help you save a lot of money.
Always look for heat resistant spoons for your baby. With heat resistant spoons, you can easily sterilize them without the fear that they might melt. Your baby will, therefore, get the chance to use safe and hygienic spoons at all times. You’ll have no reason to worry about bacterial infections.
You have to put into consideration the handle of the spoons you want to buy for your little one. When doing so, consider whether your baby will be feeding themselves or you’ll be the one to feed them.
If you’ll be the one to feed them, go for spoons with longer handles to give you a better grip and full control. On the other hand, if your baby will be self-feeding, get spoons with shorter and comfortable handles.
Getting the best spoons for your baby doesn’t mean spending a fortune on them. You can obtain quality spoons from the market, even at a low price.
However, if it means spending quite a high amount on getting your baby the best spoons, don’t hesitate, especially if the price isn’t against your budget. Quality matters more than anything else.
Before getting a spoon for your baby, ensure that it is free of odor and taste. Your baby will always feed well with such a spoon as they can taste the food only. Just like you would hate eating from a spoon that comes with a weird taste and smell, the same will happen to your baby.
Free of toxins
For the safety and health of your baby, always ensure that everything you get for them is free of toxins. Whether it’s your baby’s grooming product, spoons, among other items, ensure that they do not contain harmful chemicals that can put their health at risk. Your baby’s spoons should be BPA-free, latex, and even phthalates-free.
Ease of use
Of what use will a spoon be if it makes it difficult for your baby to self-feed. Always get a spoon that you and your baby can use without going through problems. The easier it is to use, the better.
Always ensure that the spoons you get for your baby have bright and cute colors. Your baby will always fall in love with beautiful things. You’ll be surprised at how much your baby will fall in love with such spoons. Bright colors attract kid’s attention and however stubborn your little one might be, they’ll always want to eat from a cute spoon.
1. Mee Mee 3 in 1 Baby Weaning Spoon – Our Pick
If looking for a dual-ended spoon for your baby, this is the spoon to go for. It has a soft silicone end and a rigid end as well. The spoon end to feed your baby with will solely depend on the type of food you want to feed your baby.
The manufacturer’s complied with FDA and other international of safety and hygiene, meaning that the spoons are entirely safe for your baby’s use. They are made from non-toxic and BPA free food-grade material and thus the best for your little one. They also have silicone tips that make them durable.
The spoons have long handles that enable you to get a firm grip and full control when feeding your baby. They are also odorless and tasteless, allowing your little one to taste their food only, something that will encourage to eat to their fill.
The spoons are also easy to clean and use since they come with user instructions and thus no need to worry about that when paying for them. They are also travel-friendly meaning that you can easily store and carry them when on the go with your baby.
- Dual-ended and quite useful when serving your baby different types of meals
- Have long handles for a firm grip and also give you full control when spoon-feeding your baby
- Tasteless and odorless meaning that your baby will only taste the food
- Come with instructions that make them easy to use
- Soft and smooth enough for your baby’s delicate mouth
- Pick the right amount of food for your little one
- Easy to hold and feed your baby
- Easy to use and clean
- Not serializable as they melt in water
- Not good for liquids
2. Fisher-Price Heat Sensitive Spoon – Best Heat Sensitive Feeding Spoon
This spoon comes in smart design and a unique temperature sense. With it, your baby will never suffer from burns from hot food as it changes color when the food temperature exceeds 38 degrees Celsius. You will, therefore always tell when your baby’s food is hot.
The spoon has soft silicone tips that are very gentle on your little one’s gums. In fact, the tips can increase your baby’s appetite as they’ll always bite it first before eating the food from it. It will also help to alleviate anxiety due to sore gums when teething.
It comes with a long handle for firm grip enabling you to feed your baby with ease. The spoon is also very portable and therefore, best for you if traveling with your baby. Its size ensures that your baby gets the right portion of food after every bite reducing any choking risks.
The spoon is naturally safe and free of BPA, lead, and phthalates. You can clean it with a lot of ease since it’s dishwasher safe. You can also sterilize it to keep it safe from germs. The fact that it comes in a bright, beautiful color makes kids fall in love with it.
- Comes with a unique sense of temperature, enabling you to tell when your baby’s food is hot.
- Has soft tips that keep your baby’s gums safe at all times
- Comes in the right size to ensure that your baby gets the right food portion to minimize choking risks.
- BPA, lead and phthalates free and therefore safe for your baby’s use.
- Lightweight and portable
- Mild on tiny teeth
- Sturdy and simple
- Bright color minimizes staining
- Too shallow
3. NOYMI Squeeze Feeding Spoon – Best Squeeze Feeding Spoon
This spoon will work perfectly for you, especially when on the go. It will help you control your baby’s food intake with the scale body it comes with. With it, your little one will take the correct amount you want her to at every bite.
It is made of 100% silicone and therefore, safe for your baby’s use. It’s free of BPA and will always protect your baby’s delicate gums and tiny teeth. It provides you with a cleaner, neater, and easier way to feed your baby semi-solid foods with the use of one hand only.
The squeeze feeder comes with a protective cover to reduce leaks and spills and the best option for mothers traveling with their young ones. You can carry it with ease by just placing it in your purse or baby’s diaper bag.
- The spoon gives you full control of the amount of food entering your baby’s mouth
- Made of 100% soft silicone and therefore safe for your baby
- Enables you to feed your baby using one hand only without leaving a lot of mess
- The feeder comes with a protective cover that helps in reducing leaks and spills
- Handy for traveling moms
- BPA free and therefore safe for your baby
- Best when feeding semi-solid food to your baby
- Most food remains stuck in the tube
- Not durable
4. U Grow Silicone Spoon Set – Best Durability Feature
If looking for baby spoons that can withstand heating and freezing without leaching hazardous chemicals, this set from U Grow will suit you best. The spoons are silicone made and thus much better than plastic ones.
The spoons are odor and stain resistant meaning that your baby will have the best spoon-feeding experience. She will never get discouraged from taking the next bite by weird smells or tastes. The spoons are hypoallergenic as well.
The spoons are durable and break-resistant due to their flexible nature. Even if your baby bends them playfully or accidentally drops them, they won’t break. They come with easy to grip handles enabling you to feed your baby with ease.
When it comes to heat, you have nothing to worry about since the spoons can withstand temperatures of up to 200 degrees Celsius. You will, therefore, get the chance to sterilize them after cleaning without the worry that they might melt. Even placing them in boiling water, the spoons do not leach chemicals.
The spoons come in a moderate size, are light in weight and therefore suitable for you and your baby. They also have smooth surfaces that make them easy to clean.
- Made of silicone and thus withstand heating and freezing without leaching toxic chemicals
- Flexible and resistant to aging thus very durable
- Can withstand high temperatures of up to 200 degrees Celsius
- It comes in a set of 2 spoons
- Come in a moderate size suitable for moms and their babies
- Odor and stain resistant
- Hypoallergenic in nature
- Soft yet firm
- Easy for babies to hold
- Can be sterilized with boiling water
- Doesn’t leach chemicals
- Have short handles
5. Mothercare Soft Silicone Spoons – Softest Spoon
This set has handy spoons that you’ll get to use every other day and for a long time since they are very durable. The spoons have ergonomic handles that come specially designed for parents to hold comfortably to hold using the ridged finger grooves.
The handles of spoons from this set are also long enough to reach into tall jars and containers to get all the food. With them, no food gets missed. The handles also contain integrated spoon rests that prevent the spoon tips from touching table tops, keeping them clean at all times.
The spoons have soft and flexible tips that help keep your baby’s delicate mouth and gums from harm. The shallow rounded tips also enable you to scoop the correct amount of food to fit your little ones’ tiny mouth.
The spoons are made from odor-resistant and taste-free silicone and won’t leach chemicals into your baby’s food. Your little one will only get to taste her food only. The spoons are easy to use and clean as well. All you need to do is place them in the top rack dishwasher, and you’ll be good to go.
They are suitable for babies within the age limit of 4months and above and come in cute colors.
- Have long handles with comfortable grips and chunky bases to help your baby hold them with ease
- Have soft, flexible, rounded and shallow tips that keep your baby’s gums and mouth safe at all times
- Made from silicone that is taste-free and odor resistant making your baby to taste the food only
- Handles come with integrated spoon rests that prevents the spoon tips from touching table tips
- Comfortable handles make the spoons easy to grip
- Excellent quality and thus durable
- Microwave safe and also safe to sterilize in hot water
- Come in beautiful colors
- Forks are difficult for kids to use
6. Kassy Pop Baby’s Feeding Spoon – Best Soothing Feature
These spoons are the best when it comes to training your baby to eat solid foods. They come in the perfect size for your baby’s little mouth and therefore ensure that food spillage gets minimized. They are free of any harmful chemicals and thus safe for your baby’s use.
These spoons are designed to be soft to help sooth your baby’s gums. Unlike toddler spoons that are usually deep and long, this set comes specially designed to keep your little one’s mealtime easy regardless of whether you are feeding them or self-feeding.
They have rounded tips with no sharp pointing bits. One spoon comes with an angle and helps your baby to take the food where they want it. The shape also enables the spoon to stay in the bowl instead of flipping and flinging the food everywhere.
The spoons come in bright colors that attract kids’ attention, making them to always take a bite from them. They are smooth and easy to sterilize using boiling water. They are BPA and phthalates free, a feature that makes them safe for your baby’s use.
- Come in the perfect size for your baby’s little mouth
- Designed to be soft to soothe your baby’s delicate gums
- Come in a round shape and soft tips without sharp pointy bits
- Free of chemicals and therefore safe for your baby’s use
- Easy to sterilize with boiling water
- Soft enough to soothe your baby’s gums
- Safe for your baby’s use as the set is free of chemicals
- Comes at an affordable price
- The smaller spoon is too deep for an infant
7. Rikang Feeding Spoon – Color Changing Spoon
If you’ve always feared that you might hurt your baby’s mouth by feeding them with hot food, you better give this spoon set a try. The spoons will always change color when your baby’s food is warm enough to hurt them. With the set, you will never gamble about your baby’s safety.
The spoons are BPA free and also made from soft materials. Your baby will thus never suffer from allergic reactions after using the spoons or get injuries in the mouth. They come in the perfect size suitable for less than a year-old kid.
The spoons have ergonomic necks that make them easy to direct food to your baby’s mouth. They also come in bright colors and thus very difficult to stain. They are light in weight, making it easy for you to feed our baby. Your loved one can also hold it with ease, thanks to the feature.
- Change color when exposed to a lot of heat and therefore alerts you when your baby’s food is hot.
- BPA free and made from soft silicone materials and thus very safe for your little one.
- The ergonomic neck makes it possible for you to see your baby’s mouth and thus feed her with ease.
- Light in weight, making it easy for you to feed your baby even when on the go.
- Comfortable for you and your baby’s use
- Soft and soothing on your baby’s gums
- Makes it easy for you to tell that your baby’s food is hot or not
- Comes at an affordable price
- Instructions come written in Chinese and thus difficult to understand
- Small and only useful to less than a year-old kids
8. Buddsbuddy Silicone Feeding Spoon – Best Silicone Feeding Spoon
This spoon will help your baby to learn self-feeding within the shortest time possible. It is light in weight and has just a short, perfect handle for babies. It has a comfortable grip as well and thus the best for your baby’s tiny hands.
The spoon is made of 100% food-grade silicone and therefore, safe for your baby. It will never leach chemicals in your loved one’s food since it’s BPA-free and also free of toxins. The spoon is also soft for your baby’s delicate mouth and also works perfectly in soothing her sore gums.
The spoon has round edges and will never hurt your baby’s mouth. It is easy to clean and also comes in bright colors. With it, your baby will have the best feeding experience and also remain safe at all times. It is also very comfortable to hold and use as well.
- Comes with a handle that is easy for a young baby to grip
- Made from food-grade silicone and therefore safe for your baby
- Has blunt edges that protect your baby from injuries
- Soft for your baby’s delicate mouth
- Easy for babies to use
- Enables kids to self-feed with ease
- Helps to soothe your baby’s sore gums
- Comfortable to hold
- Too bulky
9. Pigeon Feeding Spoon Set – Best Lightweight Feature
The solid spoon comes specially designed to help your baby with during her first feeding. The shadow shaped spoon ensures that no food remains behind.
The juice spoon, on the other hand, comes in a shape that fits your baby’s mouth. The shape also makes it possible for the spoon to follow the shape and curve of a cup. With it, you’ll safely feed the baby liquids of your choice without any spillage.
Both spoons come with a stopper that ensures that you do not insert them too deeply in your baby’s mouth. This feature also helps greatly when your baby is self-feeding. The spoons are designed with your baby’s wellbeing in mind since their shape, length, and depth are ideal for weaning.
The tips of these spoons are made from softer plastic materials for your baby’s safety. They are BPA free and free of any other toxic chemical and therefore very safe for your baby. They come in bright colors and are of excellent quality.
- The set comes with two different spoons that will help in feeding solid foods and juice to your baby without spillage.
- The spoons come with stoppers that prevent them from entering too deeply into your baby’s mouth.
- The spoons have the ideal shape, length, and depth for weaning
- Have soft tips for the safety of your little one
- Long handles make feeding easy
- Lightweight spoons
- Smooth edges keep your baby safe
- High-quality and therefore long-lasting
- Too small
10. Sanskriti Baby Feeding Spoons – Best for First-Timers
The spoons come specially created for you and your baby, who has just started trying with solid foods. They are fully optimized to enable your baby to get used to solid foods effectively. With any of these spoons, your bay’s will have the best feeding experience ever.
The spoons come in five different vibrant colors that your baby will absolutely fall in love with. Bright colors also attract and encourage kids to use the spoons and thus the best. They enhance your baby’s appetite making every mealtime a special event.
The spoons are easy to use to you as a parent since they are ergonomically improved to sufficiently extend your baby’s food into her mouth. No matter how resistant your little one might be, the spoons will ensure that your baby gets fed properly.
Your baby will always remain safe when using these spoons since they are made from soft and safe materials. The set comes with a blue traveling case that holds two spoons and thus very handy when on the go with your kid.
- Come in vibrant colors that enhance your baby’s appetite
- Made from soft and safe material for your baby’s use
- Ergonomically improved to sufficiently extend food to your baby’s mouth
- Comes with a traveling case that makes it easy to carry two spoons when on the go with your baby.
- Excellent product material
- Soft and flexible
- Long enough to feed with ease
- Easy to carry along when traveling
- Spoon heads are extremely thick
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I introduce a feeding spoon to my baby?
You can introduce a spoon to your baby any time after she attains four months of age. Anytime between 4 and 6months is ideal since this is kids’ weaning period.
By six months, your baby will be able to use her upper lip to take food from a spoon instead of sucking it. Introducing a spoon to your baby at that age will enable her to learn how to feed herself quickly and with ease.
2. When should a baby spoon-feed themselves?
Mastering spoon skill can never get done overnight meaning that you’ll have to be patient with your baby. You will, however, see your little one make gradual improvements with time. Some babies try to do it at one year, but most are never successful. Most will learn to use utensils by around 18 months. By the time your baby gets 3 or 4 years old, they will be able to feed themselves comfortably.
3. Are wooden spoons safe for babies?
Wooden spoons are very safe for your baby since they are non-toxic. If going for a wooden spoon, ensure that you get one from softwood since you do not want your baby’s mouth to suffer from injuries. A soft wooden spoon will also not hurt your baby’s face if she accidentally hits herself with it.
4. How do I get my baby to eat from a spoon?
If you want your baby to start feeding on a spoon, you can start by using a bottle feeder with a spoon. After using it for a while, your baby will get accustomed to it and give you no difficult times when you introduce a spoon to them at last.
You can also start by offering your baby a feeding spoon to hold when feeding him. Ensure that the spoon is brightly colored to attract your little one’s attention.
5. Is it safe to leave my baby self-feeding with a spoon?
However, tempting the idea of leaving your kid feeding by herself now that she can feed herself, never leave her on her own. A lot can happen from her choking from food to injuring herself with the spoon. You need to remember that kids are always clumsy and thus the need to be extra careful.
6. How do I tell that my baby is ready to self-feed?
Your baby is ready to self-feed if they can hold the spoon firmly, scoop food from their feeding bowl, and take it into their mouth without leaving a lot of mess. You should also leave your baby to self-feed if you realize that she can do it correctly on her own without being playful during mealtime.
7. How many feeding spoons should I get for my baby?
Ensure that you get at least five feeding spoons for your baby. Remember that you’ll need different spoons to feed your baby with solids and juices as well. When you have misplaced some and are in a hurry to leave the house with your baby, you can get replacements with ease.
8. What is a weaning spoon?
A weaning spoon is simply the spoon you’ll use to feed your baby purees and mashed foods. It is in simpler terms, a feeding spoon.
Mee Mee Baby Weaning Spoon is entirely safe for our baby’s use, and even FDA registered for safety, comes at an affordable price and helps you to feed your little one with ease. The spoons come with instructions that make them easy to use and are also odor and taste resistant.
Mothercare spoons, on the other hand, come in beautiful colors, have a firm grip and durability. The spoons have soft tips and therefore, best for your baby’s delicate gums.
Rikang Color Changing spoons, on the other hand, will help keep your baby safe from hot food. They also have ergonomic heads that enable you to see your baby’s mouth with a lot of ease.
All the spoons in this list work best but since you can’t get all of them at the same time, select those that you feel will work best for your baby and give them a try.