5 Best Baby Cloth Diapers
Newborn babies, most of them if not all, have very delicate skin. Hence, most parents are meticulous in choosing the right diapers as it can greatly affect the mild skin of the babies due to harsh chemicals, dyes, or other synthetic materials of some absorbent diapers, which might lead to skin allergies.
Disposable diapers offer most parents convenience. However, some opt using cloth diapers because they are eco-friendly and affordable. Diaper changing might take a lot of time at first because on average, newborns, use up to 10 diapers per day.
Some may think of using cloth diapers as old-fashioned, but its popularity has increased over the past years. So, before buying in bulk, you must rethink and research more about trying these diapers, so you won’t get frustrated in the long run.
5 Best Cloth Diapers
Advantages of using Cloth Diapers
Cloth Diapers are way cheaper
Using cloth diapers allows you to save a notable amount of money. Most parents want to make sure that they allocate their money to more important things needed by their newborns. The amount of money that you can save by using these diapers will still depend on how many you will need and what type of cloth diaper you’ll buy.
If you want to use a more eco-friendly, organic, and natural style for your child, the best way to start with is to use a cloth diaper. Considering detergent and water utilities, you can still save a lot compared to using disposable diapers.
Cloth Diapers are nature-friendly
Compared to disposable diapers, cloth diapers are better for the environment. Since disposable diapers are made from plastic and other chemicals, which are later, when disposed of, returns to the environment as waste. The environmental mark of these diapers is alarming.
However, cloth diapers can be easily cleaned using detergents and Water. It does not only save you money but also saves Mother Earth.
Cloth Diapers reduce rashes
Infants experience diaper rash for various reasons. This includes too much wetness in their skin, and diapers are not frequently changed, babies have very sensitive skin, or just allergies or yeast infections.
Cloth diapers could be of great help in reducing these instances since they are more frequently changed because your infant may feel more wetness. Being reusable, you can just easily change the cloth diapers without worrying too much of the cost compared with the disposables.
Besides, cloth diapers don’t use harsh chemicals used in most of the disposables. Thus, there is a lesser chance of any irritation. Also, they are more breathable and are softer, an advantage, especially for babies with sensitive skin.
Cloth Diapers have numerous uses
Unlike those disposable diapers that are only good for single-use, these cloth diapers can be reused and converted to other uses when your infant will no longer use it.
If you are planning to have more children in the future, you can still use if for the next babies. If not, you can either sell it or just donate them to other parents-to-be. You can also use them as washing cloth for cleaning, or just simply recycle them.
Types of Baby Cloth Diapers
These types of cloth diapers compose of single-layered fabrics that can be easily folded in various ways. These are in the form of large squares. Usually, these are made from cotton. They are the cheapest and are not intimidating to use. These are best used with covers.
Cloth diapers are usually folded in triple sections. These are in the form of rectangular pieces. When used, these types of cloth diapers is secured by snapping or stereotypical pins. These must also be used with covers. Pre-folds are great choices for newborn babies.
These cloth diapers are mostly made from bamboo, cotton, fleece or hemp and are the best absorbent; however, these are not waterproof. Unlike the flats or pre-folds, the fitted cloth diapers are no longer needed to be folded because these are already made to “fit” the baby’s body.
To secure, these come with snaps or Velcro closures for convenience. It needs to be used with a cover, just like the first two cloth diapers. These diapers are easy to wash, which adds to its convenience. As soon as they are dried from the dryer, they are already ready for use.
These types are a combination of disposable and cloth diapers. Most of them come with washable exterior covers, but you can choose whether to use biodegradable and disposable interior or cloth and washable interior. These types are a bit pricey because of their features.
These cloth diapers are commonly used as the “modern” types since they can be used without covers and can be easily secured because it comes with a snap or Velcro closure. These types are designed to have a pocket wherein you need to fill with a porous insert.
Most of them have a fleece or suede-cloth line which are made sure to stay dry to add comfort to the babies because it absorbs the urine, thus, making the baby feel dry.
These cloth diapers are pricier because they are premium. They do not need to be filled in and does not need cover. They require more time to dry compared to other types.
How absorbent is the cloth diaper?
The main job of a diaper is to prevent infants from feeling wet all over, thus, avoiding rashes or any sort of irritation. Make sure to choose a cloth diaper that is made from absorbent cotton to ensure that it is highly absorbent.
Choose a cloth diaper that offers great elasticity around the infant’s legs. Through this, you are not only ensuring leak prevention but also making sure that the diaper is more comfortable for your baby.
This is the most important consideration when buying a cloth diaper. Choose a cloth diaper that fits your budget the most. There are those cloth diapers that are simple and cost-friendly; however, there are also those who offer premium features, which makes it a bit pricy than the others.
In choosing the right cloth diaper, one must also know what materials are used, and if this suits your infant or not. Most cloth diapers are chemicals free, making it non-toxic and safe, making it suitable, especially for those babies that are prone to allergies. Make sure that the materials used do not react negatively to your baby. Your baby’s health must be a priority.
Although it is already given that cloth diapers are washable and be reused, some cloth diapers can only be washed at a maximum number of times. After they exceeded this, they can already be worn out and could not be at its best form compared to before. When choosing cloth diapers, make sure to buy those that can be washed for a more number of times to maximize its use and save money as well from buying new diapers frequently.
5 Best Cloth Diapers
1. KiddieHug Ready-to-wear Nightime Reusable Cloth Diaper
The fully sewn-in absorbent 4-layer bamboo insert can hold up to an approximate of 3 hours. But, an additional 4-layer hemp booster can be inserted on the pocket opening of the diaper, which can hold up to 9 hours. This is good for night time use and heavy-wetting babies.
This product from KiddieHug is an All-in-One diaper that can be likened to some disposable diapers since it is simple and easy to use. It lets your infant feel dry. Since it is already ready to wear, it makes diaper changing very convenient, especially for new parents. If your baby pees frequently, this product is the best product to consider since it is suitable, especially for outings and overnight use.
- CPSIA Certified Indian Brand Cloth Diapers
- 100% Washable and Reusable
- Ready to Wear, no need of pinning
- Heavy Absorbent
- Easy-to-use design
- Additional Hemp booster insert best for night use, travels, or outings
- High-quality materials for infants’ comfort
- It takes lesser time to prepare
- It takes a day to dry up
- A bit bulky for some babies
2. Bumpadum Duet Stay Dry Reusable Cloth Diaper
Bumpadum introduces their cloth diaper, which offers you and your baby the utmost comfort by not letting any wetness remain on the skin, thus preventing irritation and rashes from occurring. It is best used for overnight, travel, or any outings or even for home use because of its high absorbency. It can be likened to a disposable diaper for all its pros with none of the cons. The difference only is that it can be washed and reused many times.
- Can fit babies from 5-15 kgs
- Comes with a 2-part insert to customize absorbency and trimness
- High quality and soft fabric to ensure the baby’s skin dry and comfortable
- Easy to use side closing snaps which is friendly for parents or nannies
- Best for night use since it is highly absorbent
- It is Leakproof and stink-free
- The materials prevent the baby’s skin from irritation and rashes
- Heavy and thick for some babies compared to other cloth diapers
3. Bouncing Peaches Peachperfect Cloth Diaper
With the six layers of hemp cotton, this cloth diaper from Bouncing Peaches surely is a perfect night-time diaper for your babies. These cloth diapers are great helpers, especially for parents who have heavy wetter babies and are sensitive babies that are prone to rashes. The gentle elastics and superior fabric materials are also a plus.
- Comes with six layers of hemp that makes it best for an overnight use
- Front pockets for an easy-to-clean feature when soiled
- The hemp design is an hourglass shape for easy movement of the baby
- It comes with a tummy guard
- All In Two design with a front pocket diaper for the hemp to be inserted in 2 ways for an added comfort, both for normal and sensitive babies
- SGS approved, ensuring these are thoroughly inspected, verified, and tested for high-quality
- The handcrafted diaper design makes it non-bulky
- The gentle elastic around the legs ensures leak protection
- Soft materials used to prevent rashes and irritation
- Comes with an organic insert that is heavy absorbent
- It has an eco-friendly design which is sustainable as well as trendy with fashionable prints you can choose from
- Its high-quality suede lining ensures the durability of the product
- The insert can be wrinkled easily after pre-wash
- Bulky for some that may cause discomfort
4. Superbottoms Soft Fleece Pocket Diaper
This cloth diaper is specially made to keep your baby’s comfort the priority. If you are a parent who loves to invest in the premium organic cotton range, which are economical options for cloth diapers, this is the best option for you.
- Trim Crotch to lessen the gap between the legs
- CPSIA US certified and tested cloth diapers
- High absorbent that could last for of 2-3 hours for an average wetting baby
- Adjustable diaper to fit three months to 3 years (5-17 kgs) babies/toddlers
- Voted no. 1 by India’s KSP Awards for 2017 and 2018 as favorite cloth diaper making sure it has high quality and is affordable
- Especially Made by Moms who love cloth diapering to ensure comfort is at its best
- Has four rise settings to cater to different sizes from the small, medium, large and extra-large
- Super soft and super dry feel fleece lining with no elastic marks
- L-shaped tabs that make it a great fit for your baby
- Soaker with an hourglass shape that can be folded perfectly
- It is made from non-toxic materials to make sure your baby is safe
- A bit pricy compared to other cloth diapers
- There is a tendency that it leaks especially if the baby is a heavy wetter.
5. The Little Lookers Cloth Diaper
This cloth diaper from Little Lookers is the best option for those parents and parents-to-be who wants to go organic and have a tight budget. Since it is reusable and can be easily washed, you can save a significant amount of money without compromising the quality of the diaper you use for your baby.
- PUL Water resistant outer layer to keep wetness in
- Side flaps, fit the leg side for leakage protection
- Waist and thigh adjustment snaps
- Height adjustment snaps to allow changing the size
- Anti-Bacterial germ proof material for perfect hygiene
- It ensures added comfort for your baby through its waterproof, strong, breathable, and highly absorbent materials.
- Its advanced gel technology helps in the overnight absorption and provides long-lasting dryness.
- It has latex-free elastics to prevent latex allergies, irritation and rashes to babies.
- Double-layered tissue and self-sticking type for easy pull-outs
- The diaper cover can be used more than once by changing only the inserts every 2-5 hours.
- Good absorbent quality
- If it absorbs, it takes time to let it dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to choose a cloth diaper type?
When you choose a cloth diaper, the first thing to consider is the one doing the diapering. Some of the new parents highly favored all-in-ones because they are just similar to the traditional diapers that have no parts or pieces. But, for those who are considering the budget prefers covers and pre-folds because they are budget-friendly and are easier to clean.
2. Which is better: loop, hook, or snaps?
It depends on the person who is diapering. Some prefer the hook and loop because of its ease to put on. You won’t get confused about which snap the baby should be on. However, for some, hook and loop can be easily removed, especially when your babies get older. Snap closures, on the other hand, can hold up better, speaking of the long term since it is more difficult for the babies to remove.
3. Why choose cloth diapers?
Cloth diapers are proven to be cost-efficient because of their ability to reuse and wash after compared to disposable diapers, which are disposed of when used. Not only that, it gets to save you a fortune but also saves the environment. It also prevents irritation and diaper rash compared to using disposable diapers, plus, most of them are made without using harmful chemicals. It also comes with a lot of available designs to choose from.
4. How to wash cloth diapers?
Washing cloth diapers is just similar to washing your regular laundry. You can use your diaper pail if the diaper is wet, if it is soiled, then you can also simply rinse it then toss in the diaper pail. Just make sure to avoid using harsh detergents in washing them. There are also cloth diapers that require a specific detergent in cleaning cloth diapers.
However, see to it that by using such detergents, it does not leave the diapers smelly or stinky. Some detergents do not have the cleaning power to remove the stinky smell of the diapers. Parents must be cautious with this.
In cloth diapering, it is important to know and to consider many factors. As to what type to use, what is your budget, what are the features of each kind, but, the bottom line is that the comfort of your baby is of utmost importance. You can successfully say that you have chosen the best baby cloth diaper if, by taking into these considerations, the quality of comfort for your babies is not being compromised.
The best baby cloth diapers are already listed above; however, these are only recommendations; hence, it is still up to you on where you can benefit the most. Always take into consideration the factors before deciding whether to use cloth diapers and what type of cloth diaper to use. After all, the advantages should always exceed the disadvantages.