Best Aquarium Heater Guide
Fishes are cold-blooded animals and cannot regulate their body temperature on their own. They rely on water temperature to maintain their body temperature.
Aquarium Heater is an electrical equipment which stabilizes the fish tank water temperature.
Different fishes require different temperatures of water to survive. Firstly, you need to research about the temperature of water your fishes require. A stabilized water temperature is the need of every fish.There are numerous aspects required to be considered before you buy an aquarium heater. After proper consideration of these aspects, it will help you in ensuring the safety and hygiene of your fishes and other aquatic organisms. The market is inundated with a wide variety of options. It can get quite intimidating as you step into the market.
To avoid this confusion and mixed state of mind, we will provide you with detail functioning of Aquarium Heater , types of aquarium heater available in market, tips to keep in mind while buying heater for your fish and our top 11 recommendations for Indian users which will help you in clearing all your doubts and help you in selecting the best aquarium heater.
Top 11 Submersible Heaters
How does an aquarium heater work?
A water heater for aquarium uses the principle of conversion of electricity to heat.
An aquarium heater is a small and simple electrical machine that heats the water in the fish tank and helps in providing a stable and uniform temperature with minimal fluctuations. As the fishes are cold-blooded animals they need a uniform temperature water so that they can survive without any stress.
An aquarium heater heats the water around it. It should be placed right next to the filter. The circulation of water near the filter is the most and as the heater is placed close to it the fast circulation of water will help in fast circulation of heat. An aquarium heater comprises a thermostat which automatically turns of the heater when the temperature exceeds a preset limit. So, there is no overheating of water. And when the water cools down, the thermostat automatically turns on the heater.
On should prefer a submersible water heater as they can be submerged fully into the water without worrying about the damages.
Fish Aquarium heaters consist of a glass tube which encloses the heating element, wound around a ceramic or glass insert. These heaters generally contain a thermostat which helps in maintaining a stable and uniform temperature. A thermostat contains two metallic strips. When the temperature rises these metal strips will expand at different rates. The rising temperature will cause the strip to bend. This strip carries the current and breaks the current at a high temperature to avoid overheating. It is very easy to adjust the settings of these microchips. Most of the heater has an indicator that indicates the different operations of the heater.
The temperature ranges for different kinds of aquarium heater ranges from 22 to 30 degrees Celsius or 71 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
Glass tube aquarium water heaters are inexpensive and are available in different wattage. They have an in-built thermostat. However, they can crack and break even if they claim to be shock-proof and shatter-proof. The cheap brands of glass tube heaters offer dis-functional and poor-quality thermostats.
Titanium aquarium water heaters are highly durable and are very far from destruction. They generally have a digital controller. The heating element of these heaters is totally submersible. They are available in the market in a wide variety of wattage. However, they are very expensive, and the heating element may get quite hot which can melt the acrylic. It can be only used in sumps and not in display tanks.
Electronic aquarium heater is highly expensive but are totally worth the money. They do not come in many wattages. They are very accurate and have an LCD display which displays the settings and the water temperature. They are sleek and compact in design.
Types of Aquarium Heater
1. Immersible Heater
These types of fish tank water heaters are the most customary and inexpensive aquarium heater available in the Indian market. They are also called as hanging aquarium heaters. These type of aquarium heaters hang over the fish tank. These types of heaters are usually insulated with glass. The glass tube encloses the heating element. The aquarium hood needs a cut out where it accommodates the head of the heater.Most of the aquarium comes with a cut-out section on the top so that the heater can be placed easily. The heater needs to be placed at the back of the aquarium securely so that the glass tube does not break and when the heater encounters water, the fishes can get electrocuted posing a threat to even fire. Most of the heaters in the Indian market are not resistant to corrosion. So, if you use marine water in the aquarium, salt can get inside the tube and corrode the heater.
2. Submersible Heaters
These type of aquarium heaters get fully submerged in water. They come with suction cups so that they can be fitted in the glass tank with a better grip. They are generally fixed at the back of the aquarium. They are safer and more efficient than immersible aquarium heaters.
It is very important that the fish tank temperature controller should not touch the gravel as the difference in the heat conductivity of water and gravel can cause the glass tube to crack. There should be always enough space left around the heater so that the fishes have enough space to move around and they do not meet the heater and cause any danger. They can be placed at any angle in the fish tank depending upon the shape of the tank. However, they work the best when placed horizontally or vertically.
3. In-sump Heaters
In-sump heaters are just like submersible aquarium heaters. The only difference between the two is that in-sump heaters are set up in the sump of the trickle filter and not in the fish tank itself. These aquarium heaters are safe than the submersible heaters. The setup of these aquarium heaters is safer and there is no risk of damage from bigger fishes. There is no risk of shocks and electrocution. Nothing can get inside the heater and break it. They are also very safe for the fishes as the fishes won’t get caught under or behind the heater and get burned.
4. In-Line heaters
These types of filters are external heaters that require a filter or a sump. They are placed in between the tank and the filter or sump. They prevent the contact of fish with the tank. The water is pumped out of the tank through a tube or a pipe, then the water is passed to the heater from where the heated water is sent back to the tank. They are best suited for large aquariums.
5. Substrate heaters
They are not very common heaters in the market. These type of aquarium heaters generally use a coil and many wires as a heating element which is buried in gravel of the aquarium. When the heater is switched on, the wire becomes hot and transmits the heat to the gravel from where it is radiated to the water and the water gets warm. It consists of a thermostat which gets automatically switched off when the water gets warm enough.
6. In-filter heaters
These heaters use canister filters or power filters as their heating element. These types of heaters, heats the water when it goes through the filter and then sends the heated water to the aquarium.
Aquarium Heater Buyer’s Guide
Due to its constant working, a low wattage product should be considered so as to reduce the amount of electricity consumed for its working.
It should be easy to control the water heater, the auto on/off feature is a good point to be considered as it makes the control easy and efficient.
Temperature display windows allow users to easily set the temperature according to your own wish considering the fishes which stay inside it.
Before you lay your hands on a faulty product that does not offer the essential features and burns a hole in your pocket, you need to play wisely. You need to do a thorough research work on the products that the market has to offer. After the research work filter out the products that do not fit in your budget. The one which suits your budget and has maximum features is your most preferred choice.
Another important aspect for buying an aquarium heater is the type. You need to check all the types of aquarium heater and select the one which suits you the best. Go through the above section of the article which says different types of aquarium heater which will help you in understanding all the types and then select the best one. Analyze your usage well and then make the right and exact choice.
Ease of Maintenance
The most important aspect of buying an aquarium heater is maintaining it. You need to clean your aquarium and the water heater time to time which helps in maintaining a healthy environment in the aquarium and would keep your fishes away from diseases. You need to buy a heater which is easy to clean and requires less maintenance so that you do not need to invest your time in cleaning it every now and then.
For an aquarium heater to function properly it is very important to align it the way that it should be aligned. After that you need to analyze where you want to place the heater in the middle or in the end of the aquarium. Depending on these two factors, choose the one that fits into your aquarium properly and position it properly.
Aquarium heaters come in many different sizes. You need to look through 3 factors before you select an exact size of the aquarium. The factors are, temperature of the room, size of the aquarium, the amount of water the aquarium can handle. After considering all the factors, select the size you require.
Buy an aquarium heater that provides a constant temperature with minimum fluctuations. Fishes experience stress with a lot of fluctuations. The heater needs to be installed near the filter as there is good flow of water and let it maintain a uniform temperature of water. Make sure you buy an aquarium heater which has thermometer attached to it which helps in monitoring the temperature at regular intervals.
1. RS Electrical Aquarium Heater
It is a fully-automatic water heater which has a temperature display window and also allows you to set the temperature according to your own wish.
Due to its submersible feature, it does not get damaged very fast, and along with that, it is made up of double glass protection. Let us look at the features of this product.
- This water heater is suitable to be placed inside a small to a medium aquarium.
- It is a 100-watt aquarium water heater with double glass protection to prevent any kind of damage from being caused to it.
- It comes with a temperature display window that shows you the current temperature.
- It is capable of maintaining a temperature of 18-32 degree Celsius.
- It is suitable to be used in freshwater fish tanks, planted tanks, brackish water tanks, saltwater/marine tanks, turtle tanks
- Due to the double glass protection, it is a safe and secure option for users. Apart from that, it is very easily maintainable.
- With the temperature display window, you can easily set the temperature according to your own wish.
- It has an auto on/off feature along with a standby light indicator.
- The heater is submersible.
- It is a fully-automatic product.
- No cons were observed
2. Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters
Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters 100W is another aquarium heater that is fabricated using the best methods. This aquarium heater is available in 5 different wattage. This aquarium heater is highly durable and accurate.
This Aquarium Heater is designed intelligently which avoids any damage and explosion. It gets fully submerged in the water and provides the best habitat for different kinds of fishes.
- Setup Guide – It comes with a setup guide which makes it very easy to install. Just follow the instructions and you are good to go.
- Auto Switch Off to avoid damage – The heater would switch off by itself if it is not submerged properly to avoid any damage and overheating.
- Maximum Protection – This aquarium heater is providing maximum protection against fresh and saltwater aquariums.
- Shatter Resistant – This aquarium heater is insulated with thermal-resistant shatter glass which accounts for great durability.
- Visual Indicator – It has an indicator light that helps you to monitor the temperature at a glance.
- Precise Temperature Setting – It is dual-calibrated which makes it very accurate to +/- 1-degree Fahrenheit.
- The temperature is in Fahrenheit, so you need to set the heater horizontally to get a clear view of the temperature setting.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty – This product comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- Suction Cup Clamp – It comes with suction cup clamps and a 6 feet power cord for the easy installation of the heater.
- Adjustable Heat Setting – The temperature settings range from 68 to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It consumes a power of 100 Watts( upto 30 Gallons ).
- This aquarium heater measures 4 x 14 x 2 inches.
- The electronic thermostat of the product gives the most accurate temperature.
- Fully Submersible Heater
- The limited lifetime warranty makes this product out of the box.
- It is shatter-proof and averts over-heating.
- Some of the users faced issue related to leaks and unstable temperature.
3. JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System Kit
JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System is the best aquarium heater to provide the best living conditions for your fishes. This aquarium heater helps in maintaining a constant temperature of the water and avoids any kind of fluctuations.
This fish aquarium water heating system is equipped with advanced features. Apart from maintaining a balanced water temperature, they help in averting any kind of diseases, bacterial infections, and parasites from creeping in.
- Titanium Heating Element – It consists of a titanium heating element ( submersible)rather than a normal heating element which requires no thermostat. It is a standalone heating element. This heating element is plugged into the exterior of a true temp digital controller and is switched on and off automatically. A Heating element of different wattage can be plugged into the controller.
- True Temperature Digital Controller – It consists of a true temperature digital controller that comprises a push-button controller and an LED display. This LED light displays when the titanium heating element starts functioning. So, you can get a clear view of the temperature settings.
- Temperature Setting Range – The digital controller has a temperature set point ranging from 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Smart Memory Chip – During a power failure the true temp digital controller saves the temperature setting in its memory, so you need not worry about voltage fluctuations and frequent temperature fluctuations.
- Desired Calibration – The true temp system helps in grading the heating system with a thermometer. The initial factory calibrations can be re-calibrated to get the desired and best-suited temperature.
- Remote Temperature Probe – This aquarium heater is equipped with a quick disconnect remote temperature-sensing probe and a 5-foot cable. It is possible to place the probe anywhere in the aquarium.
- The probe and controller are graded at +/- 0.5 F accuracy.
- It has an in-tank mounting hardware. So, it can be installed without any hassle.
- Different wattage heating elements can be used with the controller.
- It comprises a heater guard to protect against fish burns and rock slides.
- The true temp digital controller has a memory that saves the temperature settings and grading.
- The titanium used is corrosion proof so provides maximum resistance to saltwater and freshwater aquariums.
- It is a bit pricey.
4. Marineland ML90654 Heater
Marineland ML90654 Precision Heater for Aquarium, 300-watt is an affordable aquarium heater which offers brilliant features. This aquarium heater ensures the safety of your all the aquarium inhabitants and keeps them away from harmful micro-organisms.
This aquarium heater is highly durable and provides the maximum ease of installation. Grab this amazing aquarium heater and provide best living conditions for your fishes and other aquatic animals.
- This aquarium heater consumes a power of 300 Watts.
- Water Handling Capacity – It can handle up to 80 gallons of water.
- Adjustable Temperature Dial – It comprises an adjustable temperature dial which allows you to set the temperature by 1 degree with every click.
- It has a red LED light which indicates when the heater is switched on and is in operation.
- Auto Switch Off Thermal Switch – It offers a thermal switch which automatically gets switched off automatically whenever the temperature above an internal preset limit and turns on when the water temperature starts falling.
- Mica Core Heating Element – It has an advanced heating element which contains a mica core surrounded by a mesh heating element which helps in fast transfer of heat and accounts for high durability.
- It comes with 3 window positions which provide a clear display of the set temperature.
- Advanced Mounting Bracket – This superior aquarium heater offers an advanced mounting bracket that securely attaches the aquarium heater to the bottom of the glass tank.
- It is sturdy in design and very easy to adjust.
- It comprises a sliding scale ( top dial view ) that provides an easy view of the exact temperature settings.
- The top dial view is not in sync with the reading on the glass tube.
- The heater heats the water very slowly as compared to other standard aquarium heaters.
- Its advisable to use two lower wattage heaters instead of one high wattage to get good results.
5. EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater –
EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 150W aquarium heater has been designed to provide maximum comfort to the fishes of your aquarium. Due to frequent changes in voltage and different temperature cycles, the fishes tend to lose their life and their body cannot adjust to frequent changes in the temperature of water.
EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater has been designed using the latest technology to provide world-class features. This aquarium heater is quite affordable, so you do not have to resort to spending a handsome amount. It provides the conditions of natural water bodies in an aquarium with the excellent water heater.
- Fully Submersible – This water heater can be fully submerged into the water.
- TrueTemp Controller – It is equipped with a True Temp controller which helps in re-calibrating the heating element for providing an appropriate temperature condition.
- Easy Fit – It has suction cups so that it can be easily fitted inside the aquarium.
- Double Insulated Safety Cable – This aquarium heater has the double insulation of high-quality glass.
- Precise Temperature Adjustment – It is very easy to adjust the temperature in it, by just turning the knob.
- Clear View Display – It comprises a display that provides you with a clear view of temperature settings.
- Temperature Setting Range – The temperature of this aquarium heater ranges between 68-93 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 40-gallon tanks.
- Thermo Safety Control – It comprises a thermo-safety control for providing protection against running dry.
- Auto Switch Off – Whenever the water level dips too low it gets switched off, automatically.
- It consumes a power of 150 Watts
- Shock Proof – This aquarium heater is made of shock-proof and shatter-proof glass for fresh and salty water.
- The display provides a clear view of the temperature settings.
- Installation is super easy.
- It is sturdy and durable in design.
- Thermo safety control
- A glass jacket on heater increases the heating surface and ensures optimum heat emission
- Suitable for fresh and salt water
- It comes with a warranty of one-year only. Other aquarium heaters provide a longer warranty period.
6. luval E300 Advanced Electronic Heater
Fluval E300 Advanced Electronic Heater, 375 L is the most technologically advanced electronic heater. Not only it keeps the water at a constant temperature but also prevents any growth of bacteria and other micro-organisms.This aquarium heater is having VueTech technology, which provides several excellent features. Being an electronic aquarium heater it supports digital microprocessor monitoring system, ensuring the safety and well-being of your aquarium inhabitants.
- This fully submersible aquarium heater consumes 300 Watts of power.
- Dual Temperature Sensor – It is equipped with dual temperature sensors which sense and provides the accurate and real time water temperatures.
- It can handle up to 100 gallons ( 375 l ) of water with a temperature ranging from 68 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit.
- LCD Display – It comprises an LCD display which can display the temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- Warranty – The manufacturer offers a limited warranty of 5 years on the product.
- Fast Heating – This aquarium heater offers fast heat technology with a safety shut off integrated fish guard so that the invertebrates do not meet the heating element.
- Temperature Status Screen -The temperature display of the aquarium heater changes its color if the water temperature is different from the preset temperature.
- This aquarium heater can be set up at different angles, but the best way is to install it horizontally.
- If the external sources cause a rise or fall in the temperature of aquarium water, then slim profile mounted bracket colored display automatically alerts you.
- The fish guard is integrated and completely shock-proof.
- It provides the accurate temperature as you can set the temperature in 0.5 increments.
- It offers an LCD display for the clear view of the water temperature.
- It warns if the flow of water is less.
- It is very difficult to provide a normal water temperature in a cold room.
7. Sobo Hs-200 High-Class Aquarium Glass Heater
Sobo Hs-200 High-Class Aquarium Glass Heater 200W is a sleek and compact aquarium heater which offers amazing features and is power packed with great performance. The aquarium inhabitants are not capable of regulating their body temperatures on their own, so it is very important that the aquarium heater should provide a constant temperature with minimal fluctuations. This aquarium heater is built with the new and fresh technology at an affordable price.
- This aquarium heater can be installed horizontally, vertically or in slanting position.
- It offers the best temperature ranging from 68 to 89 degrees Fahrenheit that is most suitable for the aquatic animals.
- Fully Submersible – This aquarium can be fully submerged in the aquarium.
- It comes with clips and two suction cups so that it can be easily installed in the glass tank and helps in providing a firm hold.
- Thermostat – The thermostat has the capability of getting switched off and on automatically. If the temperature of water rises above the desired temperature, the thermostat would turn off. If the temperature of water falls below the desired temperature, the thermostat would turn on
- LED Display – A red-light glows whenever the heater is set to the maximum temperature.
- It consumes a power of 200 Watts.
- The temperature of the heater can be set too as per the fish’s requirement and it would provide a constant temperature with minimal fluctuations.
- It comprises a power lamp that tells the on and off status of the heater.
- It is doubly insulated so that it can bear shocks from bigger fish species.
- It is appropriate for both fresh water and marine water aquariums.
- This aquarium heater must be placed only in areas where there is a strong circulation of water. It the water movement is not enough, then the thermostat will not function accurately, and the desired temperature will not be obtained in the aquarium.
- It is not capable of analyzing the difference in the room temperature and the desired aquarium temperature and then set the temperature accordingly.
8. Aquarium Fish Tank Water Heater
Aquarium Heater, Stainless Steel Thermostat Fish Tank Water Heater Adjustable Heating Rod(US 100W) is a smart and intelligent heater that is sleek and compact and offers amazing features. This aquarium heater is designed to provide the most suitable water temperature in which the aquarium inhabitants can live comfortably.
Aquarium Heater,Stainless Steel Thermostat Fish Tank Water Heater Adjustable Heating Rod(US 100W) helps in keeping a constant temperature and the best-suited temperature. This aquarium heater is convenient, easy, and safe to use.
- The temperature ranges from 12 to 34 degree Celsius.
- This water heater is suitable for both fresh and salt water as it provides maximum protection against corrosion.
- Whenever the temperature reaches a maximum level the thermostat automatically switches off.
- The thermostat helps in keeping a uniform temperature throughout the aquarium.
- This aquarium heater is made of stainless steel material to avert the corrosive elements.
- The aquarium heater has an exterior protective cover that is explosion-proof.
- The heater can be installed in any direction either vertical or horizontal. In both directions, it will help in maintaining an optimum temperature.
- It comes with two suction cups for easy installation.
- It also offers a plastic cover.
- It has a power cord of length 110 cm.
- It operates at a voltage of 220 Volts to 240 Volts at a frequency of 50 to 60 Hertz.
- It provides maximum ease of installation.
- It has a sensitive and reliable thermostat.
- It has a US Plug.
- There is 1 to 3 cm of size deviation.
9. Segolike Aqua Submersible Aquarium Heater
The Segolike Aqua Submersible Aquarium Heater 200 Watts is an aquarium heater which has earned its way in the top 10 list due to its brilliant performance and incomparable performance.This aquarium heater ensures to provide a hygienic environment for your aquatic animals. These animals are very sensitive and need a lot of care for which this aquarium heater is designed which provides maximum heed to the animals.
- The temperature indicating scale ranges from 68 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit ( 20 – 34 degree centigrade )
- Auto Temperature Adjustment – It can automatically adjust the temperature and provide the best-suited temperature for the aquatic inhabitants.
- Power Indicator – It comprises a power indicator which ensures that it remains safe for fishes during operation.
- Ensure Uniform Temperature – This aquarium heater ensures the output of heat and maintains a uniform temperature inside the fish tank.
- Fully Submersible – This aquarium heater gets fully submerged in water.
- Shock Resistant – It has a water-proof doubly insulating coating which makes it resistant to shocks from fishes.
- It can be installed either vertically or horizontally in the fish tank.
- It comprises an adjustable power cord which helps in fixing onto the aquarium and ensures that it does not fall in the tank.
- It has a durable and safe design.
- It offers two suction cups that provide a better grip to be installed easily.
- It is highly affordable
- It lacks an LCD display for the viewing the temperature.
10. AquaTop 75W Model GH-75 Submersible Heater
This aquarium heater by AquaTop is everything you are looking for. It is wrapped with amazing features and it reasonably priced. The performance of AquaTop 75W Model GH-75 Submersible Heater and Liquid Crystal vertical Aquarium Thermometer, Small is just outstanding.
It offers a stress-free and hassle-free installation and does not pose any risk to your fishes.
- This aquarium heater consumes a power of 75 Watts ( Handles upto 20 Gallons )
- The small and sleek design would perfectly fit into the fish tank without any hassle
- It is a submersible glass water heater and gets fully submerged in water.
- It offers a liquid crystal vertical thermometer that can show an accurate temperature.
- It maintains a constant and uniform temperature with minimal fluctuations.
- It is quite affordable.
- It offers an easy installation.
- It lacks an LCD display for displaying the temperature.
11. BOYU Explosion-Proof Aquarium Heater
The last aquarium heater in the top 10 list is BOYU Explosion-Proof Aquarium Submersible Heater having Rapid Heating Automatic Thermostat for Aquarium Temperature Control. This heater is ranked the last, but it works amazingly just like other water heaters.
The functioning of this aquarium heater is just brilliant, and they offer excellent features which make it extraordinary.
- It consumes a power of 100 Watts, operating at a voltage of AC 230/115 Volts with a frequency of 50 to 60 Hertz.
- The size of the aquarium tank should be 90 to 130 liters ( up to 35 gallons )
- LED Indicator – It has an indicator which displays the temperature you set.
- Temperature Adjustment – It is very easy and convenient to set the desired temperature. The sensitive and reliable adjustment ensures a stable and constant temperature.
- This aquarium heater can be used with fresh and salt water in aquariums having a compact structure range.
- These aquarium heaters come with brace and suction cups so that the heaters can be positioned and fitted easily.
- Temperature Regulator – The heater has an exterior of glass and has a temperature regulator that controls the thermostat. This mechanical thermostat is very small and reliable which works efficiently.
- It comprises an indicator that will glow whenever the heater is radiating heat.
- It is highly durable.
- It has a longer warranty period.
- It is highly durable and reliable.
- You need to manually turn on and off the heater.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What size heater do I need for my aquarium?
The range of aquarium heaters should be 25-300 watts depending upon the size of the aquarium. A 10-gallon water tank would require a heater of 25-75 watts, while, a tank of 75-gallon will require a heater of 250-300 watts.
2. Where should I place my heater?
The best location to place the water heater is near the flow of the water, such as the inlet or outlet from the filter or maybe in the stream of the powerhead.
3. Is heater necessary for an aquarium?
If you are placing Tropical fishes inside the aquarium, it needs an ideal temperature of 78 degrees F.
The heater will make sure that the aquarium does not get cold even when the outside temperature changes. It remains steady in due course of time.
It is very important to have complete knowledge of products that you are planning to buy. Before you buy something that is a complete waste you need to analyze your requirements well and then lay your hands on the best product. Buy your aquarium heater from a trusted brand that offers a longer warranty period and the brand which provides a good customer service so that when you face any issues you can easily get in touch with the manufacturer and get your issue resolved.
Do a thorough research work and choose your product wisely keeping in mind about your budget.