Best Amazon Devices
The growth and development of technology over the years has benefited us in many ways. It has enhanced our daily lives in a way that makes living more smarter and convenient like smart doorbells cameras or smart fridge. Amazon, the leading e-commerce website, is a smart platform that enables you to purchase any and everything from the comfort of your own homes.
This online marketplace has come forward with a few of its own innovative creations that have made households smarter. This article focuses on the three main types of Amazon devices namely; Amazon Echo, Amazon Kindle E-Readers and Amazon Fire. It further explains the importance of these devices and the way they benefit their users.
Purchasing the ideal Amazon device for your home might be a task of its own especially for a first-time buyer. This article focuses on helping you choose the right product by providing a comprehensive buyer’s guide that explains the essential factors to consider before making a purchase.
This is followed by the reviews of the top 10 Amazon devices available in the market along with the links to purchase them from Amazon. We also provide an FAQ section towards the end of the article to help you know more about this topic.
Top 10 Amazon Devices
Best Kindle E Reader
Best Amazon Fire TV Stick
Alexa Voice Controlled Remote
Light Weight Designed Kindle
Budget Friendly Kindle
Compact Bed Side Table Device
The Sleekest Speaker
Types of Amazon Devices and Their Uses
Amazon Echo Voice assistant
This is a smart voice-controlled speaker that comes with the cloud-based smart system Alexa. It connects to the internet via WiFi. The Amazon Echo can be placed at any corner of your room and its built-in far field microphone will enable you to give it voice commands even in a noisy environment or from across the room.
You can ask Alexa to stream music, order food or cabs, check weather and score updates or stay updated with the news. It has the answers to all your questions. Moreover, your home becomes much smarter as you can also set alarms or schedule the controls of the compatible smart home appliances.
Amazon Kindle E-readers
Amazon Kindle is the ideal gift for someone who loves to read. It is a tablet featuring a high-resolution display of 6” or 7” based on the generation that comes with more than 30,000 books to read in the public domain. It also allows you to read and send emails in PDF and word format or even find words and other information from sources like Wikipedia and X-Ray.
The Kindle E-Reader comes with a portable and light-weight design with waterproof protection so that it serves to be your travel partner irrespective of the place. It also allows you to customize your reading in the language of your preference.
The device requires a WiFi connection to search and download books within seconds. You can also read a sample for free and then decide on buying the books. It also comes with features such as adaptive front light, adjustable font, etc. so that you get a comfortable reading experience. Moreover, Amazon’s Whispersync technology will remember the last part you read before leaving the book for a seamless experience.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Amazon Fire Stick is a useful device that when connected to a compatible TV it transforms it into a smart TV. Hence, you gain access to entertainment more smartly and conveniently. This is easy to set up as you simply have to plug in the device to the TV and connect it to a secure WiFi connection.
It helps you subscribe to various entertainment based applications including Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hotstar, YouTube and more for a wider field of entertainment. You can also stay connected with the world by logging in to Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter on your TV. It also allows you to listen to your favorite tracks on Saavn, Gaana, etc.
Most Amazon Fire Sticks come with an Alexa enabled remote control which is used to control the operations of the TV by using your voice. Moreover, Alexa can be asked any question and you receive the answer within seconds. You can control various smart devices of your home or even book a cab, order food or check weather and sports update by asking Alexa.
The Amazon Echo model should come with a compact design so that it does not take up much space at home. It will enable you to place it at any corner of the house. Moreover, you will also be able to change its location whenever required.
Ensure that you have a secure WiFi connection at home so that you can set up your Amazon Echo device. It should be compatible with your WiFi or Hotspot connection for ensuring seamless connectivity. This makes it simple to set up as you will just require to plug it into a power source and connect it to the WiFi.
Alexa Voice Control
It should have Alexa enabled in it which is a smart cloud feature that comes with all the answers to your questions. This feature allows you to check the weather and sports updates, listen to tracks, order for food, book a cab or even control the smart devices at home. All this can be done by just mentioning ‘Alexa’ and then speaking the command into it.
It is essential to ensure that the Amazon Echo device comes with powerful built-in speakers and woofers so that it produces a loud sound in a wider range that will immerse the entire room. It should also feature a 3.5 mm stereo audio output so that you can connect it to external speakers to enhance the audio while listening to music.
The echo model should have in-built microphones with noise cancellation and beam foaming technology so that it can follow your commands. A powerful microphone will allow you to give commands and ask questions on your Alexa enabled Amazon Echo even from across the room or in a noisy environment with music playing in the background.
Amazon Kindle E-Reader
The display of the Amazon Kindle E-Reader is of vital importance. It should have a 300 ppi glare-free display having a size of 6” or 7” with the adjustable font for comfortable reading of your favorite chapters and books. The model should also have 5-12 LED front light so that it can automatically adjust the brightness of the screen based on the surroundings so that you do not strain your eyes while reading.
The Kindle requires a WiFi connection so that you can search for and download books and more instantly. Hence, ensure that you have a stable WiFi connection that is compatible with the Kindle model so that you can download, buy and also find out information regarding the topic on Wikipedia or X-Ray.
Ensure that the Kindle Reader comes with an IPX8 rating waterproof protection that ensures resistance to water even when immersed for 60 minutes. This will allow you to read your favorite books and content even near swimming pools or beaches without having to worry about any damage which might be caused due to the water.
The battery should be long lasting and should be capable of lasting for up to 4-6 weeks depending on the front light and reading the time. Moreover, go for a reader that comes with a 5 W charger so that the charge will be complete in less than 2 hours while charging on the computer with a USB cable would complete it in 3 hours.
Most Kindle E-readers come with two storage options of 8 GB and 32 GB so that you can download and store a varied number of books and content in PDF, Word, and other formats. Choose a storage option based on your requirement so that you can have your very own library in your Kindle.
The Kindle should have a sleek, stylish and sturdy design with an aluminum back. Moreover, go for a light-weight model so that you can hold it even in one hand and go on reading for hours in comfort. This portable and compact design also allow you to travel with it to different places at any time.
Amazon Fire TV
Easy to set up
The Amazon Fire Stick should be easy to set up for your own convenience. Go for a device that is simple to plug into your TV and then connect it to a compatible and secure WiFi connection so that you can convert your TV into a smart TV.
Alexa Enabled Remote Control
The Amazon Fire Stick should also come with an Alexa Enables remote control so that you can easily control the operations of your TV including volume, mute, pause, etc. The Alexa feature will also allow you to check the weather, sports updates, book ola, order food and even control the compatible smart devices of your home using your voice.
It is also important that the Amazon fire Stick you buy is compatible with your TV for it to work. Hence, ensure the compatibility of your TV before making a purchase.
1. All new Echo Dot – Our Choice
The Amazon Echo Dot is a newly designed smart speaker that comes with improved sound. It features Alexa that ensures efficient voice control of all the compatible smart devices of your home for your own convenience. You can ask this device any question, know the latest news or play your favorite music tracks by just mentioning its name from even across the room because of its four far field microphone.
You can also enhance the music of the room by connecting it to your external speaker using its 3.5 mm audio output. Owning this device will not only ensure a smarter household it will also make your life much more convenient and straightforward. Thus, this should be your number one choice.
- The Amazon Echo Dot is a voice-controlled speaker.
- Features improved sound with a new design that includes a blue light ring around it.
- It connects to a cloud-based service, Alexa for answering all your questions, reading the news, play music, control smart home devices, check the weather, etc.
- Comes with a dimension: 99 x 99 x 43 mm.
- Lightweight design weighing only 300 gram.
- Comes with WiFi Connectivity that supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks.
- Has a built-in speaker of 1.6 Inches.
- Can be connected to external speakers using its 3.5 mm stereo audio output.
- The Alexa app has compatibility with IOS, Fire OS and Android Devices.
- Comes with a limited warranty of 1 year.
- Available in three color options: black, grey or white.
- You can stream music from Saavn, Amazon Prime music, and TuneIn by just asking Alexa.
- Alexa can be used to make Skype calls.
- You can call or message your friends and family who have the Alexa App or any Echo Device by using the Echo Dot.
- The smart device comes with over 1500 skills to make your life convenient including ordering food, cabs, staying updated with the latest news or listening to the radio.
- You can shop on Amazon to stock up your fridge, reorder or even know the status of your orders using Alexa.
- Controls multiple compatible devices at a scheduled time or by using voice control.
- The device comes with four far-field microphones that can listen to your voice command even from across the room while playing music or in noisy environments.
- It does not come with an in-built battery and has to be always connected to a power source.
2. Kindle Paperwhite – Best Kindle E Reader
The Kindle Paperwhite 6th Gen comes with a high resolution 6 Inch glare-free display with adjustable LED lights that allow comfortable reading for hours at any point of time. It comes with long battery life so that you don’t have to worry about it being out of charge.
The sleek and light-weight Amazon kindle model also comes with an IPX8 rated waterproof protection which ensures stress-free reading even at pool sides or at the beach. Thus, this is the perfect travel partner that comes with twice the amount of storage than its previous model or generations.
- The dimension of the product: 167 x 116 x 8.18 mm.
- Comes with a 300 ppi glare-free paper white display of 6 inches.
- Available in two variants the 8 GB WiFi and the 32 GB WiFi+ free 4 G.
- Weight of the 8 GB WiFi model is 182 gram while that of the 32 GB WiFi+free 4 G is 191 gram.
- Can be charged using a 5 W adapter or from the computer using a USB cable in less than 3 hours.
- Compatible with private or public WiFi including 802.11 g, 802.11 b or 802.11 n.
- Supports the following formats: Kindle format 8, Kindle (AZW), PDF, TXT, PRC natively and DOCX, HTML DOC, PNG, GIF, PMP, JPEG by conversion.
- Comes with a warranty of 1 year.
- Color: Black.
- Comes with a sleek, modern, lightweight design that ensures easy reading for hours.
- Half an hour reading per day will make a single charge last for up to six weeks based on light and wireless usage.
- Comes with an IPX8 rating waterproof protection that can withstand the immersion in water for up to 60 minutes.
- Can adjust the font size, line spacing, margins, font face and also invert the white and black.
- It also allows you to read books and navigate with text to speech.
- You get free cloud storage for all content from Amazon.
- It comes with built-in 5 LED adjustable lights for comfortable reading at any time and place be it indoors, outdoors or day and night.
- It does not support audiobook playbacks.
3. Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote – Best Amazon Fire TV Stick
This Amazon Fire Stick allows you to convert your HD TV to a smart TV so that entertainment is achieved intelligently and conveniently. You can gain access to unlimited entertainment by subscribing to the various entertainment based applications including Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Moreover, you can also browse through the net on the big screen of the TV using this Amazon device
It is easy to set up as you have to plug it into the TV and connect it to the WiFi. The Fire tv Stick also comes with an Alexa’s voice-controlled remote that not only helps in controlling the operations of the TV but it also controls the functions of your compatible smart home appliances.
- This is a Firestick that comes with Alexa Voice Controlled remote.
- Dimensions: 85.9 mm x 30.0 mm x 12.6 mm.
- It weighs 32 grams.
- Comes with a Quad Core ARM 1.3 GHz processor and a Mali450 MP4 GPU.
- Has an 8 GB internal storage.
- Bluetooth version: Bluetooth 4.1 + LE.
- Compatible with HD TVs with HDMI ports having a resolution of 720 p or 1080 p.
- It supports Dolby audio, 2 Ch stereo, 5.1 surround sound, and HDMI audio pass till 7.1.
- Has a Dual-band WiFi connectivity.
- Requires a power outlet and internet connection via WiFi to function on your HD TV that comes with HDMI ports.
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- It is pre-registered to your Amazon account making it simple to set up by just plugging it into your HD TV.
- Allows you to watch all your favorite content on Zee5, Sony LIV, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar, etc. with the required subscription fees.
- Easily control the operations of the content such as volume, power, mute using the Alexa controlled remote.
- Alexa allows you to use its various skills including checking the score, staying updated with the latest news, order food, cabs and more.
- It converts the TV to a smart TV so that you can access websites and apps like Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, etc.
- Ensures unlimited access to movies, TV shows, and songs to Amazon Prime users on Prime Video and Prime music.
- You can also control compatible smart home appliances using the Alexa controlled remote.
- According to a user, it does not stream Jio Cinema.
4. Amazon Echo Smart speaker – Smartest Device
The Amazon echo comes with a built-in cloud-based smart voice control system known as Alexa which makes your home smarter. It answers every query instantly by just saying ‘Alexa’ followed by the question you would want to ask. Thus, this smart speaker helps you keep a check on every minute details and occurrence happening around you. It also comes with a 2.5-inch woofer that fills the entire room with powerful immersive audio when asked to play music from any of the music-based apps.
You can also schedule controls related to your house appliances like switching off the lights or turning on the coffee machine every morning. This compact device has managed to make the lives of individuals smarter and convenient.
- Type: Amazon Echo, a smart speaker that can be controlled using your voice.
- Can connect to a cloud-based voice system i.e. Alexa.
- Dimensions: 148.5 x 88 x 88 mm.
- It has a weight of 821 gram.
- Comes with a 2.5” woofer and a 0.6” tweeter.
- The Alexa app has compatibility with IOS and Android devices and can also be accessed using the desktop browser.
- Comes with seven microphones with noise cancellation and beam forming technology.
- Has a warranty of 1 year.
- The powerful speakers fill the entire room with immersive 360-degree audio that is enhanced with bass and crisp, clear vocals.
- The multi-room music feature enables you to play music on all the echo devices at the same time.
- It supports Alexa allowing you to play music, check the weather and news, set alarms, make calls by just speaking to it.
- You can command the echo device from across the room even in a noisy environment or while playing music.
- It enables you to order for food from apps like Zomato, book ola cabs or even book a request on Urban Clap.
- It can control all the smart devices of your home which are compatible with it including lights, plugs and more from popular brands like SYSKA LED, Philips, etc.
- According to a user, it sometimes fails to respond on time.
5. Alexa Voice Remote – Alexa Voice Controlled Remote
The Alexa’s voice-controlled remote is a great buy if you to wish to control your Amazon 2nd gen Fire stick or Fire Stick 4 K compatible HD TVs. This light-weight and easy to use remote enables you to easily find and control the content you wish to watch on TV. You can also use Alexa to manage all your compatible smart home appliances using your voice and can also find all the answers to your questions quickly.
- This is an Alexa Voice controlled remote.
- Dimensions: 38 mm x 142 mm x 16 mm.
- It weighs 43.4 grams without batteries.
- This remote is compatible with the 2nd generation Fire TV Stick and the Fire TV Stick 4 K.
- Comes with 2 AAA batteries.
- Comes with dedicated power, volume and mute buttons to control the compatible HD TVs.
- Uses Bluetooth and Infrared technology.
- Easy to use as you have to press the button on the remote and ask Alexa to find, launch or control the content you wish to watch.
- You can use the remote to control the compatible smart home appliance of your home.
- It comes with navigation and playback controls that enable you to skip to your favorite scenes.
- The Alexa enabled remote lets you play music, check the news, weather and sports scores.
- According to a user, volume control did not work on Samsung Television.
6. Kindle Oasis – Light Weight Designed Kindle
The Kindle Oasis comes with a 7” paper-white display that comes with 12 LED front lights that adjust the brightness of the display. It also enables you to adjust the font based on your requirement and read your favorite book for hours by holding it in one hand for a comfortable reading experience. The large storage capacity allows you to store more than thousands of book so that you can select any book to read at any time. Moreover, the sleek and sturdy model has a light-weight design making it an ideal travel partner.
- Comes with a 7” paperwhite display technology along with E Ink Carta, built in light and 300 ppi with an optimized font technology.
- It has an 8 GB storage and is also available in a 32 GB storage variant.
- Comes with a sleek and sturdy design and an anodized aluminum back.
- Has a waterproof IPX8 rating.
- Can be charged in under 3 hours when charging from the computer using a USB cable and charges in under 2 hours when charged with an Amazon 5 watt charger.
- Uses WiFi connectivity and hotspot.
- You can read and send emails in word, pdf, and other formats.
- Comes with 12 LED front lights.
- Has a warranty of 1 year.
- The adaptive front lights adjust the brightness of the display according to the surroundings for comfortable reading.
- You can adjust the size of the font based on your preference so that you do not strain your eyes.
- The lightweight and portable design make it easy to travel with.
- It personalizes the reading time based on your change of habit.
- A single charge can make it last up to 6 weeks based on the light-settings and usage.
- Ideal option to read by holding it in one hand as the pages rotate based on your hand, left or right.
- More expensive than other generations.
7. Kindle – Budget Friendly Kindle
This Kindle is a suitable option to consider buying if you are under a budget. It has a 6” glare-free display that offers a well textured and book-like font that can be optimized based on your requirement. Moreover, this generation is much thinner and lighter than the other generations for ease in holding. Thus, you can choose from thousands of books, download and read them at any time comfortably.
- It has a 6” 167 ppi glare-free display with E Ink Pearl.
- On-device storage is 4 GB.
- Compatible with public and private WiFi and Hotspot connection.
- It can charge fully in 4 hours from a computer using a USB cable.
- You can customize the languages based on your preference including English, Spanish, Chinese, Latin, etc.
- Available in two color options: white and black.
- Comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
- It eliminates glare even during too much sunlight for comfortable reading time.
- It is 11% thinner and 16% lighter than the previous Kindle generations making it comfortable and easy to hold even in one hand.
- It does not emit light which might disrupt your sleep like in smartphones and tablets.
- The hand-built fonts appear in the texture similar to that of a real book reducing eye strain.
- You can choose from the thousands of books and read them without any distractions from pop up notifications.
- It has a huge collection of books in different genres.
- No waterproof protection.
- Does not come with front lights to adjust the brightness of the screen.
8. Amazon Echo Spot – Compact Bed Side Table Device
This is an all-new stylish device of Amazon that features Alexa for controlling devices, ordering food or checking the news and weather updates with your voice. The Echo Spot is the idea device to place on your bedside table because of its compact size for managing your alarms. It comes with a 2.5-inch screen with a front facing camera that also enables you to video call your friends and also watches the news on it. The screen can also be customized with pictures and clock faces based on your preferences.
- The compact design and wide viewing angle of the display make it ideal for placing at your bedside table.
- It has Alexa enabled in it for smarter control through your voice.
- It comes with built-in speakers and a 3.5 mm audio output to connect to external speakers.
- Helps in managing alarms, checking updates on weather and sports, seeing the calendar, displaying the news and also in calling friends and family.
- It has a front facing camera and a screen having a size of 2.5”.
- Resolution of display is 480 x 480.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty.
- You can control all compatible smart devices of your house using the Alexa enable Echo Spot.
- The front-facing camera and screen size allows video calling with those having an Echo device
- Enjoy listening to music from Saavn, Amazon Prime Music by asking for the song or by mentioning your favorite singer so that Alexa makes a choice.
- Helps in booking cabs, playing nursery rhymes and ordering food.
- You can set pictures from Facebook on the screen or personalizing it with clock faces.
- Users mentioned that there were connectivity issues.
9. Amazon Echo Input – The Sleekest Speaker
This Amazon Echo input is known for its sleek and low profile design that can be placed at any location at home. The Alexa voice control option allows you to ask it to perform tasks and also answer your questions instantly. The powerful microphone enables it to hear you from even across the room in a noisy environment adding to your convenience.
- It has a slim and low-profile design that fits anywhere at home.
- The Alexa enabled speaker allows to stream music by using voice control.
- Alexa adapts to your vocabulary and speech patterns for instant response.
- It comes with features for customers with needs to accessibility including voice, vision, mobility related.
- Comes with a 3.5 mm audio output for connecting to external speakers.
- Has a 1-year warranty.
- You can use Alexa Skills to order food, request rides from ola, know recipes, check the update on news, sports and weather.
- Prime customers can also order anything using Alexa’s voice control feature.
- You can command or ask a question to Alexa from even across the room in a noisy environment and Alexa will respond in an instant.
- Allows you to set alarms, play music on Amazon Prime Music, Saavn, etc. or even turn off the lights.
- Easy to set up.
- Does not come with built-in speakers.
10. Amazon Echo Show – Convenient Design
This is an ideal choice for those who like video calling or watch content as it comes with a 10.1” touch screen display. The Alexa voice control feature makes your life smarter and convenient as it helps in shopping, checking updates and even setting alarms. The tablet-like design makes it comfortable to use, and it can also play music with enhanced sound quality because of its built-in speakers.
- Comes with a 10.1” touchscreen display.
- It has a resolution of 1280 x 800 with 720 p HD quality video.
- Features dual 2” drivers for premium audio with bass.
- Has a 5 MP camera.
- It allows you to open Alexa Captioning, choose between color corrections, and magnify the screen.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Easy to set up and easy to control using Alexa voice control feature.
- Supports Alexa calling to those who have Alexa enabled devices.
- Allows video calling with its 5 MP camera and display.
- Helps in shopping, check weather updates, calendars, set alarms and see pictures.
- The HD screen ensures visibility even across the room.
- You can command Alexa from across the room even in a noisy environment.
- You can play music from Saavn, Prime music or even watch movies and other entertainment-based content.
- As per a user, the software of the device kept hanging.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Alexa need WiFi?
Alexa is a smart integrated cloud that requires a WiFi connection to operate. Hence, you need a stable internet connection for the pairing of the Alexa enabled device. The only way to work Alexa without WiFi is by using a secure Hotspot connection or by Bluetooth.
2. Can a TV be connected to Alexa?
You can convert your TV to a smart TV by plugging it in with an Amazon Fire Stick. This device comes with an Alexa voice controlled remote so that you can control the operations of the remote and also ask Alexa to perform functions like checking the news, weather update or playing music and more.
3. Can you browse the internet on Kindle?
Yes, the internet can be browsed on Kindle. In the case of Kindle Paper White free browsing is limited in the 3 G connection as you can only access Amazon websites and Wikipedia. However, for unlimited browsing, you require a secure WiFi connection.
4. What is the difference between a tablet and a kindle?
A tablet and a Kindle may resemble in appearance and design. However, they differ in many ways especially in their purpose of use. A kindle supports only reading material like books, news, etc. and is used mainly for reading. On the other hand, a tablet performs various functions like watching entertainment-based content, and it can also be used for reading.
5. What is the difference between Alexa and echo?
Echo is a speaker that perform different operations while Alexa is the brain of echo because of which you can ask it to perform various functions using your voice.
6. What all devices can be connected to Alexa?
The Amazon Echo and Amazon Fire Stick come with Alexa which can be used to control your compatible smart home devices. These devices include lights, alarms, fans, coffee machines, TVs, etc.
We now come to the end of this article. The comprehensive buyer’s guide hopes to help you find the right Amazon device based on your requirement. We have reviewed the top 10 devices and provided the links to purchase them.
You can go for the All-new Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa (Black), our number one choice if you are looking for an Amazon Eco device. Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) – 6? High-Resolution Display is a suitable choice for a Kindle E-Reader while the Fire TV stick with Alexa Enabled Remote is also a great option to consider. We hope this article helps.