Best 3D Pens: Make Your Drawings And Images Attractive
Imagine what you would create if you can draw in 3D. Doesn’t it feel surreal to draw in mid-air and instantly create 3D structures by swift movements of your hand? The advent of 3D pens brings this wild imagination into reality.
A 3D pen empowers you to draw whatever you can imagine. It translates your creativity borne within your brain into real 3D objects with your hand drawing. It does so by extruding heated or warm plastic from the nozzle of your pen.
It feels amazing to draw using 3D pens as you can use your created objects in reality. It’s great fun and you would experience as if the magic is unfolding before your eyes. You don’t need complex 3D printers every time for creating 3D objects.
In this article, we will be reviewing the advantages of using a 3D pen, buyers guide and how they work. Also, the various types of 3D pens will be introduced for you to know what you are dealing, and what to choose in your next shopping.
Top Six 3D Pens in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best as Gift
Best for Doodling
Best for 3D Drawing
Best for Kids
Best for Kids
How does it work?
The mode of operation of 3D pens isn’t such a difficult one because it was designed to be user friendly. It has a thermal element that heats the plastic molding material in pen. This heating makes the filaments liquefy which then solidifies on cooling to produce or create images.
One popular kind is a Thermoplastic 3D pen. The material used for this pen is easy to find. There is a minimal safety risk or threat it poses, and this is due to the heating which may result in very high temperatures.
Other kinds are UV reactive which makes use of UV radiation that produces LED light; they are not always simple and easy to come by like the former, but they produce much better end results
Advantages of using a 3D Pen
- Simpler and Easier: With a 3D pen, an idea can transcend from your mind to reality in just a few minutes. Although it isn’t as complex as printers, it is a good choice to use to make drafts and miniatures.
- Cost effective: This is relative because several brands produce different types of 3D pens; however, it is less expensive when compared to the price of 3D printers available for sale.
- Eco-friendly: The pens are environmentally safe and can be used without causing any kind of hazard.
- Diverse use: Both kids and adults find this very useful in enhancing their creative skills. Almost anyone can pick up the pen and start playing around.
Types of 3D Pen
There are two classifications of the 3D pen when it comes to distinguishing their types. The first classification is based on heating material, while the second classification is based on the charging mechanism, i.e., corded or cordless.
Classification based on Heating material
Thermoplastic 3D Pen
The thermoplastic 3D pen makes use of a mechanism where there is a thermal element which is either powered by electricity or another method, and it heats the filaments.
The filaments undergo a liquefying process, till they solidify into tiny plastics in the shape you want. It is the cheapest, simplest and easiest 3D pen to use because the raw material is easy to find.
UV reactive Filaments 3D Pen
UV reactive filaments 3 D pen is a different type of pen that makes use of UV radiation of the sun as its thermal source. When light energy gets to the filaments, it heats up and then liquefies. It can then be used to make a 3D model which solidifies on cooling.
Classification based on the Charging Mechanism
A corded 3D pen needs to be plugged into a power socket to operate. The cords are mainly USB-compatible and can either be connected directly to a PC or wall socket. for them to be used.
A cordless 3D pen, as the name suggests, does not require a cable as it runs on batteries. This allows greater freedom of movement but the batteries need to be replaced frequently.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
In this buying guide section, we will be looking at factors to consider before buying any 3D pen for sale.
The material used to make these pens is very important because it is what brings the artwork to life. Now, the best ones always have good temperature control and other benefits. They include; ABS, PLA, and TPU.
- ABS: Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene with strong properties but with limited flexibility, colors, and no unique filament. It is one of the best materials because if its ability to warp when cooling off.
- TPU: Thermoplastic Polyurethane takes the properties of rubber with good flexibility. It is used for producing flexible models such as toys and cartoons.
- PLA: Polylactic Acid is no doubt the best out of the three materials. It is powerful, quite flexible and versatile. It produces luxurious models and warps easily because of its unique features.
Type of Filament
This is the first factor that is worth checking because it determines how you are going to use the pen to produce images.
There are two or three types of filaments – the thermoplastic pen that uses either ABS or PLA filament and the UV pen that uses sunlight-induced filaments. These thermal elements heat the filaments and make them useful for the purpose they have been designed to do.
Feed rate determines the quality of work that will be produced in the end; therefore, pick a pen that flows perfectly. This is very important to consider so you won’t end up wasting your time and money with a product which is not going to be worth it in the end.
Corded or Cordless
For a corded pen, you need a connection to a USB port so it could get charged and run efficiently; however, a cordless pen doesn’t need any form of connection and will still work efficiently.
Artists often prefer the cordless one because corded pens offer restricted movement.
Warranty Period and Durability
For every product bought on any e-commerce website or real-world market, the warranty period has to be considered as it protects you from losses on products having manufacturing defects.
A long warranty period also assures you of the company’s faith in the product’s durability.
Controls for Temperature
The 3D pen is a device that runs using thermal elements either ABS, APL or even sunlight, and it is essential to watch and control the temperature.
Adjustable temperature allows you to have greater control over your project and also to avoid overheating,
Ergonomics talk about comfort in using devices, i.e., whether it is simple or bulky to use. A 3D pen should fit your hand well so you can master some skills, tricks, tactics, and produce a fine image in the end.
The customization settings are a function of how buttons and controls have been arranged to ensure the smooth performance of the 3D pen.
In this regard, it is possible to find pens that have been customized with LCD, front and back controls to make sure all functions are placed properly.
Since the 3D pens work on the principle of heating and melting filaments, it can be hazardous if not used properly. It is strongly advised to wear gloves, goggles and follow manufacturer instructions.
Easy to Load
Loading the filament section is an important factor to consider when buying a 3D pen because it must be very easy and less-time consuming.
Comfortable to Hold
This is an important factor especially if you are getting a 3D pen for a kid or a teenager. Bulky pens will result in their hands aching after some time, which is not desirable.
3D pens come in different sizes and you should buy according to who is going to use it. You can choose from a range of sizes suitable for adults, teens and kids.
1. Idrawing 3D Pen – Best as Gift
You don’t have to sweat using this device because it is easy to operate, and has been equipped with numerous features to capture user’s interest.
Some features include; a patent nozzle, good thermal control, and a dissipating heat body design which helps to prevent burns when put to use.
When creating 3D images using this electric 3D pen, you fill face no clogging issues. It is odorless, non-toxic, ergonomically appropriate, and eco-friendly which makes it safe for both kids and adults.
- Comes with a starter guide and a 1.5 mm USB cable.
- It has an automatic shut off feature to power down the after 5 minutes of inactivity to save energy.
- The pack comes with 2 wood filament and a pen holder
- Light turns blue when it is ready for use after switching on the power button
- Comes with numerous features allowing you to make creative models.
- Eight-speed settings for you to adjust the extrusion speed.
- Perfect gift for kids.
- Quality of filaments provided could be better.
2. REES52 3D Pen – Best for Doodling
The best features of this 3D pen are the two power modes and three filament modes. The filament modes are PLA and ABS which are durable materials at a length of 1.75 mm; while the power modeallows the use of both power banks and USB adapter.
This 3D pen makes a huge difference in the market because of its stylish, slender, and sleek design that captivates the interest of everyone who comes across the device.
REES52 3D pen has a one button control which is designed for both drawing and writing. It also comes with an integrated advanced chip that helps to control both speed and temperature with ease.
- It comes with one USB cable and a user manual.
- LCD screen displays vital information,
- Built-in chip.
- It has three random colors by its filament, and it is an ideal choice to unravel your imaginations for the eyes to see.
- Sturdy in design.
- The product is solid, stylish, and very reliable to use.
- Produces great 3D products.
- Enhances doodling effects more than most pens.
- Allows you to maintain a steady flow of currents.
- Quite affordable.
- Warranty is not available.
3. S.P Traders 3d pen – Best Lightweight
S.P. Traders 3D pen is a device for both young users and adults because it is easy to use. The pen delivers products with fantastic quality using both ABS and PLA filaments. It has an advanced anti clogging feature.
It has a maximum start-up time of 30 seconds. When inactive for about 5 minutes, the Auto shutdown feature powers down the pen to save electricity. It has been designed to fit even the smallest of hands very easily.
- Comes with three random PLA filaments.
- An auto shut-down feature after 5 mins of inactivity.
- The product includes one pen stand and an instruction manual.
- There are different modes or speed to use.
- Exemplary device with topnotch performance.
- Comes with an international adapter so it can be used anywhere.
- The lightweight body makes it easy to use and hold.
- Simple, sleek and slender design.
- No negative points observed so far.
4. WOL 3D Pen – Best for 3D Drawing
WOL 3D pen is another top choice when it comes to choosing the best 3D pens for drawing and doodling. It is built with advanced technology which makes it easy to use and operate.
It works well with three types of filament, which are the ABS, PCL and PLA at 1.75 mm. It has temperature and speed controls to ensure the device is convenient to use.
The ergonomics is one-of-a-kind, and that it is recommendable for anyone who would love to go into a drawing, arts, etc. The presence of a heat resistant material makes it safe to use without hazards.
There are two ways you can charge this device, i.e., either by using an AC adapter or connecting to a USB adapter. With a sturdy design, it can withstand a lot of pressure.
- It can work with 3 filament types
- Temperature and speed control.
- Heat resistant body.
- Eco-friendly and free to use anywhere and anytime.
- It has a sturdy design which makes it strong.
- Allows you to control both temperature and speed with ease.
- Requires a lot of a maintenance.
5. Imagery3D V2 3D Printing Pen – Best for Kids
Imagery 3D V2 is a device for everyone because of how useful it is in creating topnotch 3D models. It is suitable for both ABS and PLA filaments. This 3D pen produces colorful models which not only captivates the interest of kids but improves their spatial thinking abilities.
It has a booting time of 30 seconds, which is quite fast. Since, it is built as a PLA-suitable thermoplastic 3D pen, you don’t have to worry about pungent odor.
- 1.75 mm PLA and ABS filament.
- 3 PLA filaments (3 colors).
- The ergonomics is highly remarkable because it has been designed to fit even the smallest of hands very easily.
- 1 power adapter and an instruction manual.
- Auto shutdown feature.
- Produces colorful images more than any other type.
- Price is quite affordable.
- Comes with a lot of features.
- Three random colors to use from.
- Rid of pungent odor.
- Suitable for all age groups.
- No warranty period available.
6. DOMO nScribe Build Star 3D Doodling Printer Scribbler Pen
Domo nScribe build star is a high-performance doodling tool that can be used for long hours of doodling for unleashing your creative zeal and artistic expression. It is a trusted 3D pen that serves as an effective doodling printer.
This 3D doodler and scribbler pen doesn’t feature an LCD for displaying the temperature or the preset for filament type. However, it comes with 2 LED for displaying the temperature threshold and adaptor power status.
- This doodling tool comes with a small knob that is tucked under a rubber flap for changing the operating temperature.
- It features a slider on the side for changing the speed of filament extrusion.
- It comes with two side buttons for moving the filament either backward or forward.
- It is compatible with ABS and PLA filaments that measure 1.75mm in thickness.
- This nScribe build star is exquisitely designed and perfectly balanced for giving you ample creative freedom for bringing your artistic ideas to reality.
- You can use this 3D pen with many different materials and color of filaments.
- The package comprises 1 nScribe build star pen, 1 packet of PLA sample filament, 1 power adaptor, and a user manual.
- It is a world-class 3D doodling product that is ideally suitable for accurate and effective 3D printing.
- It enables you to make adjustments to the temperature by using the knob and mini screwdriver.
- It is engineered for delivering super robust performance for long hours.
- It helps you to easily auto-retrieve filament after every use.
- It has a smart unclogging mechanism that offers easy and effortless maintenance.
- It enables you to draw on paper or in the air by using proper drawing skills, speed, and material.
- No negative points observed so far.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have seen so many questions online about the use of 3D pens, and we have decided to answer some of the frequently asked ones.
1. Is 3D pen usable by left-handed people?
Pens generally are designed to fit into both hands without difficulty. Therefore, 3D pen is usable by left-handed people the same way a regular pen is used. This is why we talked about ergonomics and size to fit the hand perfectly.
2. Do you need a training class on how to use a 3D pen?
They are free-hand tools that only require you recreating what has been created in your mind. No technical know-how is necessary, but you should watch kids while they handle the device.
3. Are they safe for kids?
They are safe to use for kids but under adult supervision.
4. What is the maximum power supply required for 3D pens?
For 3D pens that make use of electrical currents to heat their thermal elements, the appropriate plug power supply should be between 110-240 V.
A 3D pen allows you to draw a raised graphic mid-air, on any flat surface or a piece of paper. The best part is that you can actually feel the objects that you have created by drawing through 3D pens, by picking and holding them in your hands.
The 3D pens use melted plastic that extrudes out of its nozzle. When it comes out of the pen, the melted plastic is soft and it solidifies within few seconds. Thus, whatever you draw using the 3D pen gets converted into a solid and stable 3D structure.
A 3D pen is a revolutionary innovation that has brought about a ground-breaking transformation in 3D designing. It is being widely used across various fields by 3D artists, designers, engineers, educators, hobbyists, or anyone who loves creativity.
Get yourself a 3D pen and gives wings to your creative freedom for creating objects in 3 dimensions.
For a 3D pen on the expensive side, our pick WOL 3D Pen for Drawing which is worth the price due to its factors, features, and usefulness. The REES52 3D Pen provides a good alternative on the cheaper side.