Best 3D Pens: Make Your Drawings And Images Attractive
3D Pens are one of the best inventions of man because it makes you create and form images existing on your mind, bringing them to reality.
Although it might look quite expensive, it is a device that has replaced heavy-powered machines used to make 3D images. It is a better alternative which offers the same power and efficiency to users. There were times when people bought feathers to write on leaves and then slowly tools for calligraphy, but with the advancement in technology now pens can create 3D products.
Having a 3D pen is one thing, but having the best 3D pen is bliss! It can be used by people of all age groups, i.e., both adults and kids, such that; adults who would look to be creative or learn how to be professional 3D image makers can find it useful, and kids can enhance their creativity. Whatever you wish, it is an excellent device for everyone to have.
In this article, we will be reviewing the advantages of using a 3D pen, buyers guide and how they work. Also, the various types of 3D pens will be introduced for you to know what you are dealing, and what to choose in your next shopping. To make your search simpler, we have listed the best 3D pens available online and also answered the most common questions regarding it.
Top 5 3D Pens
Best as Gift
Best for Doodling
Best for 3D Drawing
Best for Kids
How does it work?
The mode of operation of 3D pens isn’t such a difficult one because it was designed in a way that a thermal element heats the plastic in pen. This heating enhances the filaments that liquefy and then solidify to produce or create images.
From an aesthetic point of view, it is very outstanding because it has replaced old 3D printers which are more time consuming and stressful.
One popular kind is a Thermoplastic 3D pen, and aside the material being very easy to find, it is simple to use. However, there is a minimal safety risk or threat it poses, and this is due to the heating which may result in very high temperatures.
Other kinds are UV reactive which makes use of UV radiation that produces LED light; they are not always simple and easy to come by like the former, but they produce much better images.
Advantages of using a 3D Pen
Many benefits come with using 3D pens for artworks and creativity, few of which are:
- Simpler and Easier: Since 3D pens have replaced 3D printers, life has been easier because, in a few minutes, you can create an image on your mind. Although it isn’t as complex as printers, it is a good choice to use to make drafts and bring into reality.
- Less-expensive: This is relative because several brands produce different types of 3D pens; however, it is less expensive when compared to the price of 3D printers available for sale.
- Eco-friendly: Not to mention that it is environmentally safe because all that is needed is from the environment without causing any form of hazard. It is suitable to use anywhere and anytime.
- Usable by all age groups: Both kids and adults find this very useful in enhancing their creative skills. Kids, for instance, love fantastic devices like this and are inspired to do better.
- Useful in Medical field: Doctors find 3D pen very special because it is one of the many devices, they use to save patients (not directly). They use it to create an image of organs, especially that is needed for transplanting. One way or the other, a 3D pen is used in saving lives.
Types of 3D Pen
There are two classifications of the 3D pen when it comes to distinguishing their types. The first classification is based on heating material, while the second classification is based on the charging mechanism, i.e., corded or cordless.
Classification based on Heating material
Thermoplastic 3D Pen
The thermoplastic 3D pen makes use of a mechanism where there is a thermal element which is either powered by electricity or another method, and it heats the filaments. The filaments undergo a liquefying process, till they solidify into tiny plastics or tiny which can be used to make images.It is the cheapest, simplest and easiest 3D pen to use because the raw material is easy to find
UV reactive Filaments 3D Pen
UV reactive filaments 3 D pen is a different type of pen that makes use of UV radiation of the sun as its thermal source. When light energy gets to the filaments, it heats up and then liquefies. Following the liquefication is solidification which makes it possible to produce beautiful 3D images on a surface.
Classification based on the Charging Mechanism
This is a type of 3D pen that has a cord or an extension that allows it to be charged. The cords are mainly USB-compatible and can either be connected directly to a PC or wall socket for them to be used.
On the other hand, the cordless 3D pen does not make use of cords or extensions for them to be charged. It looks quite cumbersome, and they will work just fine.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
In this buying guide section, we will be looking at things or factors to consider before buying any 3D pen for sale. The chances are that ingenuine products are available, and the only way to find out is using the factors or features from below to judge them. Ultimately, you get to know the good product and the bad one.
The material used to make these pens is very important because it is what brings the artwork to life. Now, the best ones always have good temperature control and other benefits. They include; ABS, PLA, and TPU.
- ABS: Also called Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene with strong properties but with no flexibility, limited colors, and no unique filament. It is one of the best materials because if its ability to warp when cooling off.
- TPU: Also called Thermoplastic Polyurethane which takes the properties of rubber, acts plastic with good flexibility. It is used for producing flexible images such as toys and cartoons.
- PLA: Also called Polylactic Acid which is no doubt the best out of the three materials known. It is powerful, quite flexible and versatile. It produces luxurious images and warps easily because of its unique features.
Type of Filament
This is the first factor that is worth checking because it determines how you are going to use the pen to produce images. There are two or three types of filaments – the thermoplastic pen that uses either ABS or PLA filament and the UV pen that uses sunlight-induced filaments. These thermal elements heat the filaments and make them useful for the purpose they have been designed to do.
Feed rate determines the quality of work that will be produced in the end; therefore, pick a pen that flows perfectly. This is very important to consider so you won’t end up wasting your time and money with a product which is not going to be worth it in the end. A controllable feed rate is needed for a smooth work; the finer it is, the easier it is to produce all kinds of artwork (both simple and complex).
Corded or Cordless?
Having a corded or cordless pen isn’t such a big deal, and sometimes not considered, but it determines how free you will be. For a corded pen, you need a connection to a USB port so it could get charged and run efficiently; however, a cordless pen doesn’t need any form of connection and will still work efficiently. Often, an artist prefers the cordless one because corded pens are quite cumbersome and are limited to movements.
Warranty Period and Durability
For every product bought on any e-commerce website or real-world market, the warranty period has to be considered because it determines how long you can successfully use them.
For a 3D pen, there is no exception, and you need it more than you need to know whether it is corded or not. This warranty period tells durability indirectly, and if there is a compromise, you have the opportunity to get the product returned to the manufacturer within that time frame.
Controls for Temperature
The 3D pen is a device that runs using thermal elements either ABS, APL or even sunlight, and it is essential to watch and control the temperature. There are cases where higher temperatures beyond required are visible which could affect the entire working system. To fix the situation, you need an adjustable temperature control which will restore everything to normal; so, yes, you need to consider the availability of temperature control buttons.
Ergonomics talk about comfort in using devices, i.e., whether it is simple or bulky to use, and for a 3D pen, it is unarguably simple. The main reason why they were created was to replace the bulkier 3D printers which cost a lot, and difficult to use. For a pen, it should fit your hand well so you can master some skills, tricks, tactics, and produce a fine image in the end.
The customization settings are a function of how buttons and controls have been arranged to ensure the smooth performance of the 3D pen. In this regard, it is possible to find pens that have been customized with LCD, front and back controls to make sure all functions are directed properly.
For instance, the LCD shows readings and levels of temperature, filaments, as well as speed; if need be, it could be adjusted when irregularities are sighted.
On safety, it is possible to find eco-friendly devices that’ still requires maximum maintenance and proper care. The best kinds of 3D pens have been packaged with an instruction manual which states supervision and things to watch out for when it comes to using the device.
For example, the nozzle is an important part of the pen that should be looked out for because the amount of heat produced is sometimes unbearable, which may cause burns and other kinds of hazard.
Easy to Load
Loading the filament section is an important factor to consider when buying a 3D pen because it must be very easy and less-time consuming. The reason for this is to make sure teenagers or kids have a good time loading when it finishes since they will be the one who will make use of it most of them. The ease to load enhances the good user experience, and in the end, it produces wonderful images.
Comfort to Hold
Just as we have mentioned in the ergonomics, the comfort to hold is an incredible feature to consider if you want to use the 3D pen to maximum satisfaction.
For kids, they will most likely prefer something slender, small and sleek so they can draw all of their imaginations. However, the adults can make use of any pen they prefer, as long as they can hold, keep and carry it with ease.
One more thing is that the reliability of a product is what makes many buyers interested in the product; they believe the brand has a reputation to protect. Any of the top devices without a good cause to be relied upon will only be abandoned and receive criticism and negative remarks from the public rather than praises.
Therefore, it is important for you to pick very reliable products so you don’t end up spending extra on something you could have got at a lower and standard price.
This is also a part talking about its ergonomics where a comfortable size that will fit the hand is required. Many times, the regular-sized types are purchased and used by adults (professionals and learners) while kids use the small-sized types because of how easy it is in clutching those little hands against it. Therefore, size is an essential factor to consider, so you don’t end up getting what is meant for kids instead of adults.
Lastly, this is something everyone considers before going shopping online or anywhere to know the kind of deal they will be making. Having a comfortable budget is bliss because anything you want should be in the price you have laid out for yourself.
If in the end, your budget doesn’t go as planned, you should regroup and work out a better plan for yourself, especially when it comes to any of the best 3D pens.
1. Idrawing 3D Pen Intelligent Drawing Printing doodler pen Drawing 3D Model for Kids and Adults – Best as Gift
What more suggestions do you need for a birthday or any present for your kid other than Idrawing Intelligent 3D pen which is used to create fantastic drawings. It is a gift that when presented, and put to use, their creative, cognitive, and spatial thinking skills is enabled. The way it is used determines how well it will connect people; such that, colorful designs and images are produced with ease.
You don’t have to sweat using this device because it is easy to operate, and has been equipped with numerous features to capture user’s interest. Some features include; a patent nozzle, good thermal control, and a dissipating heat body design which helps to prevent burns when put to use. You will be surprised at its quality because it comes with no risk at all, and you can use it to maximum satisfaction.
When creating 3D images using this electric 3D pen, clogging is prevented, and a smooth graffiti is produced. Lastly, it provides a perfect three-dimensional effect making sure it is odorless, non-toxic, ergonomically appropriate, and eco-friendly which makes it safe for both kids and adults.
- One starter guide
- 1.5 mm USB cable
- 3D Pen and Holder
- It has an automatic shut off feature does it work after 5 minutes of inactivity to save power or energy consumption.
- The pack comes with 2 Wood Filament
- Light turns blue when it is ready for use after switching on the power button
- Works incredibly great when connected
- Comes with numerous features and properties
- Eight-speed settings for you to adjust the extrusions
- Perfect gift for kids especially
- Amazing 3D models produced at the end
- Although it works brilliantly well, no warranty period recorded yet
- Quality of filaments should be better than the current type
2. REES52 3D Pen with LCD Screen for 3D drawing – Best for Doodling
It’s the best-known property which makes it very suitable for kids and adults to make 3D images are the two power modes and three filament modes it has. The filament modes are PLA and ABS which are durable materials at a length of 1.75 mm; while the power mode involves the use of both power banks and USB adapter.
This 3D pen makes a huge difference in the market because of its stylish, slender, and sleek design that captivates the interest of everyone who comes across the device.
REES52 3D pen is featured with one button control which is designed for both drawing and writing. It also comes with an integrated advanced chip that helps to control both speed and temperature with ease. Naturally, it is a multi-model 3D pen which with several functions and topnotch reliability.
- It has one USB cable and a User manual
- 3 Filament modes (ABS and PLA at 1.75 mm)
- 2 Power modes (USB and Adapter)
- Built-in chip
- Proper care is advised to avoid a hazard in various form, especially with the thermal points of the device.
- It has three random colors by its filament, and it is an ideal choice to unravel your imaginations for the eyes to see.
- Sturdy in design, and very affordable for anyone interested.
- The product is solid, stylish, and very reliable to use
- All functions are performed excellently.
- Produces great 3D images
- Enhances doodling effects more than most pens
- Three random colors to choose from
- Allows you to maintain a steady flow of currents
- Quite affordable
- Warranty period is not available
- Proper supervision is required for kids and teenagers
3. S.P Traders 3d pen – Best Lightweight
S.P. Traders 3D pen is also another device for everyone, both young ones, and adults because it creates perfect images and drawings without difficulty. With an advanced clogging mechanism as its mode of operation, and this produces a fantastic quality which is suitable for both ABS and PLA filaments.
A 3D pen that not only produces colorful images but also develops a kid’s interest in creating beautiful drawings on the head to paper. If you need a birthday present suggestion, this is one your kids will love.
Although it is an electric device, it has a maximum start-up time of 30 seconds, which means it is fast, and when inactive for about 5 minutes, the Auto shutdown feature performs its duty. The ergonomics is highly remarkable because it has been designed to fit even the smallest of hands very easily.
All you have to do while it is ready to use put into use and watch how you create your 3D image with ease. Since it is built as a PLA-suitable thermoplastic 3D pen, you don’t have to worry about pungent odor, because it will get rid of them.
- Three random PLA filament
- An auto shut-down feature after 5 mins of inactivity
- It comes with one Pen stand and instruction manual.
- There are different modes or speed to use; you can either use fast, slow or any other you are comfortable with.
- Very exemplary device with topnotch performance
- Comes with an international adapter to improve power quality
- The lightweight body which makes it easy to use and hold
- Simple, sleek and slender design
- The quality is excellent.
- No much information about the product online
4. WOL 3D Pen – Best for 3D Drawing
WOL 3D pen is another top choice when it comes to choosing the best 3D pens for drawing and doodling. It is built with an advanced technology which makes it easy to use, operate and hold to make perfect drawings and images from imagination to reality.
It works well with three types of filament, which are the ABS, PCL and PLA at 1.75 mm and in length, it is up to about 5 m with beautiful colors inside it for topnotch performance.
Amazement for users is the fact there is the presence of 3 temperature and speed controls to ensure the device is convenient to use. The ergonomics is one-of-a-kind, and that it is recommendable for anyone who would love to go into a drawing, arts, etc.
Also, it has a nozzle temperature between the range of 80 to 90 degrees which is too hot, but the presence of a heat resistant material makes it safe to use without hazards. There are two ways you can charge this device, i.e., either by using an AC adapter or connecting to a USB adapter.
With a sturdy design, it can withstand a good number of pressures, but it should be handled with care to avoid damage.
- It has 3 Filament type
- Temperature and Speed control via Button
- Unique consumable formula design
- Heat resistant body
- Eco-friendly and free to use anywhere and anytime
- It has a sturdy design which makes it stronger than other types
- Random colors to use
- Allows you to control both temperature and speed with ease
- Requires maximum maintenance
- Chances are quality may be displeasing from the start
5. Imagery3D V2 3D Printing Pen – Best for Kids
Imagery 3D V2 is a device for everyone, both young ones, and adults because of how useful it is in creating topnotch images and drawings. It uses an advanced clogging mechanism as its mode of operation, and this produces a fantastic quality which is suitable for both ABS and PLA filaments.
This 3D pen produces colorful images which not only captivates the interest of kids but improves their spatial thinking abilities. What an awesome gift for a kid’s birthday!
Although it is an electric device, it has a booting time of 30 seconds (on the maximum), which is quite fast, and a feature when not in use called the Auto Shutdown. All you have to do while it is ready to use put into use and watch how you create your 3D image with ease.
Since it is built as a PLA-suitable thermoplastic 3D pen, you don’t have to worry about pungent odor, because it will get rid of them. Lastly, there are different modes or speed to use; you can either use fast, slow or any other you are comfortable with.
- 1.75 mm PLA and ABS Filament
- 3 PLA filaments (3 colors)
- The ergonomics is highly remarkable because it has been designed to fit even the smallest of hands very easily.
- 1 Power Adapter and an Instruction manual
- Auto shutdown feature
- Produces colorful images more than any other type
- Price is quite affordable
- Comes with a lot of features
- Three random colors to use from
- Rid of pungent odor
- Suitable for all age groups
- No warranty period available
- Requires extra care (do not touch nib or nozzle carelessly)
Frequently Asked Questions
We have seen so many questions online about the use of 3D pens, and we have decided to answer some of the frequently asked ones. Below are a few of these questions and our best replies.
1.How do 3D pens work?
3D pens work dynamically even though they are used in the same way you use your regular pen on a piece of paper. However, 3D pens are used in creating, and for that to open, a thermal element or filament material is required such as ABS, PCL or PCA which all have their properties. After a setup time of about 30 seconds, these thermal materials are heated in several ways depending on which is compatible by your device.
Once this is done, the pen is ready for use, and you can doodle, draw or write with in whatever form you have. The filament materials could be equipped with random colors for topnotch performance and quality drawing. After 5 minutes of inactivity, some of these pens have an auto shut down feature which helps to save energy; however, there are certain things to avoid or take note of when using the pen to avoid getting burnt via thermal section.
2. Is 3D pen usable by left-handed people?
Pens generally have been designed to fit into both hands without difficulty. Therefore, 3D pen is usable by left-handed people the same way a regular pen is used. This is why we talked about ergonomics and size to fit the hand perfectly.
3. Do you need a training class on how to use a 3D pen?
3D pen is devices to use without asking for help through a training center. They are free-hand tools that only require you recreating what has been created in your mind. No technical know-how is necessary, but you should watch kids while they handle the device.
4. Are they safe for kids?
These pens don’t discriminate on any age group; they are suitable for both kids and adults. Therefore, it is safe for kids, but good for them if they are put under supervision, especially those under eight years of age. Videos online could help them understand how it works better and things to avoid.
5. What is the maximum power supply required for 3D pens?
For 3D pens that make use of electrical currents to heat their thermal elements, the appropriate plug power supply should be between 110-240 V. This depends on how long the wire and 1.8 m is pretty standard.
3D pens are cool, especially when you get the best type. It is usable by people of all age groups without having to learn someone on how to use it; although, they come with instruction manuals for safety. They are better devices that will be chosen over 3D printers any day and any time.
From the above, we have reviewed the best 7 products we can identify concerning their description, features, pros, and cons. However, there is a classification we are yet to make which is based on their price. Below are the three groups we have categorized them into:
- For High Range 3D pen, our pick WOL 3D Pen for Drawing was because it is worth the price it is being offered about factors, features, and usefulness.
- For Mid-Range 3D pen, we chose REES52 3D Pen because it looks standard with quality in place unlike many other types in the category.
In conclusion, we have handpicked the best-selling 3D pens on the market and reviewed them by description, features, pros, and cons. It is necessary you pick one out of the top 5, so you don’t end up wasting your time online searching for products which may end up being the bad one. At the point of purchase, make sure you consider the factors laid out above, and pick the one that suits and fits into your budget perfectly.