10 Best 2-In-1 Laptops Review
2-in-1 laptops tread the extra mile when it comes to flexibility, by furnishing a system that can easily be adjusted to fit different situations. They are quite an exciting breed of gadgets aimed at providing both a laptop and tablet experience without sacrificing the versatility of a modern laptop. However, the 2-in-1’s somewhat techy nature makes it a hard gadget when it comes to selecting the best fit.
This guide is about giving you a great start towards landing the best option for your needs. We’ll start with an exploration of the critical factors you need to look into before seriously setting out for any model, then proceed with a comprehensive outlook on some of the leading models on the market today. Let’s get started.
10 Best 2-in-1 Laptops
Masterclass Design Features
Massive Processing Power
Powerful Display And Graphics
Great For General Use Cases
2-in-1 Laptops Buying Guide
Which Type Is Most Appropriate?
2-in-1s can either be Detachable or Bendbacks based on the employed switch mechanism.
Bendbacks use a hinge system which allows the screen to rotate on the base through a 360-degree angle. This sort of rests the back of the screen on the underside of the keyboard, thus exposing the touchscreen in a tablet-like fashion.
There are two main hinge systems: the first one involves a single broad hinge which extends across the articulation surface, and the second involves two separate hinges which provide articulations on the two sides of the base of the screen.
Though the overall strength of the hinge system depends on several factors such as materials used and the construction quality, single-hinge systems generally provide the most stable and durable operation.
Unlike Bendbacks, Detachable allows you to separate the keyboard from the screen entirely. In essence, these laptops are advanced tablet devices with the keyboard as a separate input device that’s plugged into the screen for extra functionality. This effectively eliminates the keyboard’s weight from the device, thus making them have an obvious weight advantage over Bendbacks.
However, Bendbacks provide a quicker switch than Detachables as you get rid of the extra seconds involved in detaching and finding the right space to store the keyboard.Additionally, since Detachables are usually more like Tablets, they tend to lag when it comes to functional specifications.
For instance, they tend to come with eMMC storage drives, which usually come with considerably less capacity than standard laptops. On the other hand, most Bendbacks come in as fully fledged laptops which can be switched to touchscreen mode. This makes them have more significant storage space than detachables.
If you are looking for an ultralight 2-in-1, and are organized enough to never mind the detachment process, Detachables can be a great option to consider.
On the other hand, if you are in for a powerful machine that can be quickly switched between modes without getting rid of the keyboard, Bendbacks can be a great place to start.
What Sort of Screen Do I Need?
The screen is a major output device of your computer, and a wrong choice can easily have a drastic negative effect on the kind of experience you have with your computer. The screen’s size, overall quality, and ergonomic features represent the key aspects you need to look into when defining your choice.
Size: How Big Should It Be?
Laptops’ sizes can be broadly put into three categories based on the size of the diagonal.
- Most of them fall within the standard size, which is somewhere between 14 inches and 15.6 inches laptops. Within this category, 15.6-inch screens are the most featured in mainstream laptops, which can easily be carried around in standard laptop bags while affording ample screen space for greater amounts of detail.
- The mid-range category encompasses laptops with diagonals falling somewhere between 13.3-14 inches. These add in an extra level of flexibility by featuring a lighter weight and size for both small and medium-sized backpacks while still affording enough space to accommodate large amounts of detail.
- Beyond 11.6 inches in a downward direction, we have the lower extreme which accommodates sizes as small as 10.5 inches. These are typical gadgets for those in need of a highly portable device which can get the job done without needing too much screen space.
Quality: Whats the Image Quality Like?
Clarity is king when it comes to the display’s overall quality. The greater the amount of detail a screen can capture per unit area, the greater the image clarity. This is reflected in the resolution rating of the device, which is typically measured in dots per inch (dpi), or Pixels.
The word ‘Pixel’ refers to the smallest or basic unit of data that makes up the image on the screen. These basic units are represented by dots or squares spread all over the screen in vertical and horizontal rows.
If you happen to have come across any resolution rating before, you might have seen a scary figure like 1920×1080 or 11366×768 pixels. The numbers provide an idea on how many pixels a particular screen can hold and thus overall clarity.
The first figure describes the number of vertical pixel rows across the screen while the second number describes the number of horizontal pixel rows that particular screen can hold.
- The current industry standard for high-quality screen is 1920×1080 pixels, which is considered high definition due to its ability to produce exceptional levels of image clarity.
- Mid and lower range models tend to come with a lower rating of about 13366×768 pixels, which is somehow practical for most general uses but may struggle with highly demanding graphics tasks.
- There are screens with resolutions rated beyond 1920×1080, but these are mostly for high-end devices which are adapted to specific use cases.
Extras: How Much More Does It Offer?
Several touchscreens go beyond high resolutions and ideal sizes to incorporate extra features that make the screen more ergonomic and user-friendly. Good examples are the In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology and Anti-glare properties.
In-plane Switching Technology allows the screen contents to be equally visible from a wider range of angles.
This proves useful in situations where there are multiple viewers, such as in group discussions or presentations. It may also come in handy when the laptop is part of a wider working-station where situational factors require you to look at the screen from an angle.
Anti-glare screens feature a special coat which does not reflect light, thus making the screen remarkably visible in different environments with varying light intensities.
Check the Basic Functional Specifications.
There are four basic things you need to understand to have an idea of how good a particular laptop is, in terms of functionality.
These are the Processor, Storage Drive, Random Access Memory, and connectivity options.
Though these things may sound a bit complex to wrap your head around, all you need to have is a basic understanding of what each component does and what the ranges are like.
Processor: How Much Efficiency Do I Need?
The processor carries out all the key calculations necessary to execute the key tasks on the computer. Its capacity defines the computer’s ability to carry out different tasks, and like most functional components of the computer, it exists in various types and makes with varying capacities.
Intel dominates the processor manufacturing industry as its processors are the most featured in today’s devices. Recent years have seen it steadily improving its processors to suit the increasing demand for more advanced processing power needed to sustain new and more sophisticated computer programs.
8th generation Intel core i7 processors represent the industry standard for high-end devices whereas Intel i5 processors provide a more affordable option within the high-end category. Entry level devices tend to come in with Intel i3 and Intel Celeron processors, which are also great when it comes to general and fairly advanced programs.
An emerging rival to the Intel brand is AMD, which also has an ample supply of high-efficiency processors at a comparatively more affordable cost. There are 8th generation AMD processors, which despite having the same base processor speed as some of the high-end models from Intel, they can be found in mid and lower range models.
In general, if all you are looking for is a decent machine to handle mainstream software like word processors, spreadsheets, Internet surfing, and high definition videos, Intel i3 processors are a great option.
On the other hand, advanced gaming software and other more specialized uses such as Video editing, 3D modeling, and developed software development typically need the robust processing power furnished by high-end processors such as Intel i7, i9, and Xeon.
Storage Capacity: Is It Large Enough to Hold All the Files I Need?
Your computer’s storage drive defines the volume of information you can store on the computer.The common units of measurement for modern devices are Gigabytes(GB) and Terabytes(TB). The larger the number, the greater the amount of space, which typically falls somewhere between 256GB and 4TB.
The difference lies in the structure and mechanism used by the two types. A Hard Drive comes in as an internal mechanical device which is plugged onto the motherboard through special adapters whereas a Solid State Drive comes in as a series of chips which are integrated with the system’s motherboard.
Each type has its flaws and advantages. In summary, while a Hard Drives’ capacity can go as a far as 4TB, Solid State drives tend to fall somewhere between 128GB and 512GB.
In terms of performance, Solid States are better as they offer greater speeds, energy efficiency, and less operational noise. They also eat up considerably less space; thus, they are associated with ultra-light devices.
1TB Hard Drive space is quickly emerging as the standard to cater for increasing storage space demands exerted by modern software. However, if you don’t see yourself storing large amounts of information on your computer, a 250GB-500GB Hard Drive can do the job.
Ram: Can It Efficiently Handle My Daily Needs?
Random Access Memory is another piece of hardware which allows quick access to the data stored on the Hard Drive. It can be thought of as some transitional storage device that makes the needed data readily available so that it can be operated on.
The units of measurement are Megabytes and Gigabytes, and the greater the number, the greater the amount of data which can be stored in the memory. This has a direct correlation to the overall speed of execution and the kind of programs that a computer can work on efficiently.
High-end and some high-quality mid-range models tend to come in with an 8GB RAM, which is quite robust enough for most highly advanced programs.
4GB RAM provides something in the middle, capable of handling general and advanced software.
If you want nothing more than basic functionality to handle general programs, entry-level laptops with 2GB RAMs can also do a commendable job.
Ports and Other Connectivity Options: Does It Offer Enough to Allow Easy Connection With Other Devices and the Internet?
Most of the data you get into your laptop will come from external devices such as external drives, other computers, phones, and the Internet. Therefore, you need to make sure that your laptop provides enough connectivity options for easy information sharing. Connectivity tools can be broadly divided into wired and wireless categories.
For wireless sharing, make sure your laptop is equipped with Wifi and Bluetooth technology. For a start, look for 802.11ac Wifi technology, which is the current standard as it offers enhanced connectivity speeds than its predecessors (b,g,n).
For more versatility, you can also consider some devices which offer a combination of all the Wifi modes (ac,b,g,n) for enhanced compatibility with a broader range of Wifi routers.
When it comes to Bluetooth, it also exists in several standards which also reflect on how the technology has evolved from basic to today’s high-speed versions.
Bluetooth 5.0 offers one of the latest and fastest options which is also compatible with devices featuring earlier versions such as Bluetooth 4.2 and 4.0.
When it comes to wired options, USB is the most popular and user-friendly way of sharing data. Just like the wireless options considered above, it also exists in different versions with varying efficiencies.
The latest USB version is the multifunctional USB Type-C which adds in extra features like charging to basic data transfers. USB 3.0(link), 3.1 and 2.0 are the most featured in mainstream devices, and they are still okay if you want a portal that can satisfactorily handle data transfers.
Therefore if you foresee the need for some of these, it pays dividends to consider connectivity tools such as HDMI, VGA, Audio jacks, SD cards, and Ethernet ports.
Is the Battery Life Good Enough?
2-in-1 devices are all about flexibility, and along with this comes a reliable internal source of power/battery though the specifications are not always accurate, its great to check the estimated battery life or Watt-hour rating.
For reference, great devices should have at least 8 hours of battery life on the Internet. Of course, you can compromise a little if your budget is limited, but a brand-new, 2-in-1 device shouldn’t drop dead after a usage period of fewer than 6 hours.
How About the Warranty? Does It Have Any? Is It Reasonable?
This is pretty much straightforward. It’s imprudent to order anything with the price tag of a 2-in-1 device without any backup plan in case it ends up a multifunctional product.
Be wise, take a look at the device’s specs and see if it contains any warranty information. If it does, there should be a provision of at least six months to cover for any manufacturer related defects.
Top 10 2-in-1 Laptops
1. Hp Pavilion X360 Cd0080tu – Ultra-sleek, A Powerful Set Of Hardware
Hewlett-Packard (HP) is one brand that’s a formidable force within the high-end price category through this delightfully designed and feature-packed gadget.
A sleek body houses a powerful processing unit, display, and ample storage space. Let’s dive into the specifics.
- Design – The laptop comes in a sleek, well-molded, Black and Silver body, which is characteristic of the HP x360 series. The back and front surface are covered in a black coating while the sides take a silver color to provide an exquisite and professional look that’s rarely seen in most of today’s gadgets.By design, it is a Bendback which features a highly flexible two-hinge system.
- Dimensions –The WLED touchscreen measures 14 inches while the dimensions measure at around 32.4(Length) x 22.4(Width) x 2 cm(Total thickness).The full-size QWERTY keyboard features standard keys with a soft feel on pressure, and adequate horizontal inter-key spacing for maximum hand and finger comfort. Just adjacent to the keyboard is a centrally placed, standard touchpad which provides an ultra-smooth surface with multi-touch functionality.
- Processor – 1.6 GHz, 8th Generation Intel 4-Core i5-8250U processor.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 1 TB hard drive.
- Display and graphics – Intel UHD 620 graphics coprocessor, and full HD(1920×1080) display.
- Connectivity – 802.11 ac, Bluetooth 4.2 combo, Type – C USB 3.0 (2 ports), HDMI and audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Power features – Lithium polymer battery, 41 Watt-hours.
- Great processor and RAM – The 8th generation 4-core processor and top-of-the-range 8GB RAM should handle most advanced software at phenomenal speed and overall efficiency.
- Great storage capacity – The hard drive offers more than enough space for medium and most heavy use cases.
- Powerful display and graphics processing abilities – The laptop comes in with a high-end graphics coprocessor and one of the most powerful display units to handle heavy graphics needs.
- Great battery – It has a built-in three polymer battery which can work up to 11 hours in a single charge.
- Beautifully crafted – The design quality befits a device with a high-end price tag. Simply adorable work done by the manufacturers!
- It’s a bit heftly priced for most budgets.
2. Microsoft Surface Pro 1796 – Great Processing Capacity Combined With Masterclass Design Features
If you have extra bucks to spend on a highly advanced 2-in-1 laptop, this beauty from Microsoft should have the right credentials to be part of the options list.
Like the previous model, it is beautifully designed and comes in with a great set of features; boasting a 7th generation Intel processor, top-notch memory, and ample storage capacity. Let’s get into the details and see if it’s worth the accolades it has amassed over the years.
- Design and Dimesnions– The Surface Pro 1796 maintains a minimalistic design that permeates all the models within the brand’s Surface Pro Series. Principally, the laptop is detachable, so it takes the look of a sizeable tablet with an all-white back cover, silversides, and black screen peripherals. The back accommodates a kickstand to prop the screen up, and like most detachable, it features a full-size, compact keyboard which comes in as a separate purchase. The screen measures 12.3 inches, whereas the dimensions measure 20.1(W) x 0.8(T) x 29.2(L) cm.
- Processor – 2.6GHz, 7th Generation Intel Core i5 processor.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 256GB Solid State Drive(SSD).
- Display – 12.3 inches, 2736 x 1824.
- Graphics and video support – It features an integrated graphics coprocessor.
- Connectivity – 802.11abg, Bluetooth and 1 USB port.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Battery life – Lithium polymer, 13.5 hours
- Powerful performance hardware – The laptop comes in with a powerful i5 processor along with a top-notch 8 GB RAM to handle advanced computer software.
- High graphics chip and display – It comes with a highly efficient graphics coprocessor and highly rated display system to handle graphics intensive software.
- Solid battery – Rated at 13.5 hours, it is effectively one of the most energy efficient batteries across the board.
- Beautiful design – It features a delightful finish which can fit in most lifestyles and preferences.
- Hefty price tag.
3. Microsoft Surface Book 2 – Beastly Processor, High-end Storage, Powerful Battery, And Great Display
Simply another beast for budgets which can handle high-end price tags. This machine has a lot of show for the heavy coin coffers it demands. This is evident in an impeccable feature set which includes a surreal processor, powerful RAM, and ample storage capacity.
- Design – The Surface book 2 comes in with a touch of elegance rarely seen in today’s market. It is coated with an exquisite all-white finish and features a neat and highly ergonomic keyboard and touchpad to complement an amply sized screen.Unlike most 2-in-1s, the laptop can be considered as both a detachable and Bendback due to a hinge system which allows both complete keyboard detachment and 360-degree screen rotation.
- Dimensions – The LED screen’s diagonal measures at 15 Inches, while as the overall dimensions measure 34.3(L) x 25.1(W) x 2.3(T) cm. It is fairly bulkier as the sizeable dimensions translate to a weight of about 1.91kg.
- Processor – 4.2GHz, 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8650U processor.
- RAM – 16GB.
- Storage – 1 Terabyte PCel SSD.
- Display – 15 inches, 3240 x 2160, (260 PPI), 10 point multi-touch G5.
- Graphics and video support – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5.
- Connectivity – 802.11 IEEE a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1 and 1 USB (2.0) port.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Battery life – 6 Lithium polymer, 17 hours.
- Impeccable processor and RAM – The 4.2 GHz processor and 16 GB RAM should handle any advanced software as far as laptop standards are concerned.
- Powerful graphics coprocessor and display unit. – It features a highly efficient graphics card and powerful display unit to handle the most graphics-intensive tasks.
- Ample storage space – The 1TB Hard Drive provides ample space for a wide range of storage needs.
- Versatile – Its design affords the benefits of both a detachable and a bendback convertible.
- It comes with only one USB port
- Hefty price tag.
4. Lenovo Yoga 530 – Sleek And Endowed With Mammoth Processing Power
Lenovo injects its fair share of ingenuity in the high-end category through this powerful device with an almost surreal design. The processor and RAM furnish an excellent combination for optimal processing efficiency, while the storage, power, and connectivity features compete with the cream of the crop. Let’s briefly immerse ourselves into the machine’s details.
- Design and Dimensions – It is a bendback 2-in-1 which features a sleek, Mineral Grey coating on the base and the back surface of the screen. A well-spaced Island keyboard is overlooked by a 14-inch screen, which articulates on the bottom through two hyper-flexible hinges. The dimensions measure at around 32.8 x 22.9 x 1.8 cm while the total weight strikes 1.67 kgs.
- Processor – 1.6GHz, 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U processor.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 512GB HD.
- Display – 14?, Full HD Display.
- Graphics and video support – NVIDIA GEFORCE MX130 (2G GDDR5).
- Connectivity – 802.11ac, Bluetooth, USB Type-C port, USB 3.0(3 ports), HDMI, Audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Battery life – 4 cell Lithium polymer, 45 Watt-hours.
- Advanced RAM and processor – It comes with a mammoth processor and RAM for enhanced efficiency when running advanced software.
- Powerful battery – Rated at 45-watt hours, the battery is more than capable of sustaining up to 10 hours
- Powerful display and graphics processor – The full HD display combines with a mammoth graphics coprocessor to handle graphics-intensive applications.
- Powerful connectivity profile – It has an ample provision of both wired and wireless tools for seamless connectivity with the Internet and other external devices.
- It comes with an inflated price tag.
5. Acer Aspire 2 – High-end Hardware At A More Generous Cost
Acer leaves its mark of ingenuity in the convertibles’ world with this high performance and beautifully designed machine. It has a lot to show in almost every critical aspect of functionality, including processing capacity, storage, display system, and connectivity. Let’s appreciate it in a little more detail.
- Design and Dimensions– The laptop is a bendback by design and comes in a beautiful Matte Gray finish, which gives it a typical professional look of most Acer business laptops. Its a fairly sizeable laptop for a convertible, with a display diagonal striking the 15.6-inch mark as the rest of the dimensions measured at 14.59?(L) x 10.09?(W) x 0.79?(H).
- Processor – Intel Core i5-6200U Dual-core, 2.3 GHz base speed.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 1 TB.
- Display – 15.6 inches, Full HD with IPS technology.
- Graphics and video support – Intel HD 520.
- Connectivity – 802.11 ac, Bluetooth 4.1, USB 3.0 (2 ports), USB 2.0, HDMI, audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10, Windows 7.
- Battery life – 2 Cell Lithium polymer, 5 Watt-hours.
- Top notch processing hardware – The processor and RAM can handle most highly advanced software.
- Enhanced graphics and display – It comes in with a powerful graphics processor along with an advanced display unit.
- Great storage capacity – The 1 TB hard drive can handle a wide range of storage needs.
- Widescreen for high detail work – The display size allows sufficient space for use cases which require robust screen sizes such as video editing and running gaming software.
- The battery’s watt-hour rating could do better.
- A fairly highly placed price for most budgets.
- The noise of the fan is very loud.
6. Hp X360 Cd0081tu – Powerful Processor, Top-notch Space, Ample Connectivity Options
If you are looking to get an ultra-efficient machine with high-end properties at a more considerate price, then this great device from HP should provide something close to your ideal profile. Though with a relatively mid-range price tag, it does afford most of the amenities furnished by most high-end devices. Let’s get closer.
- Design and Dimensions – As expected of all similar priced HP laptops, it affords a remarkably sleek finish with a unique combination of Black and Pale Gold colors. It is a two-hinge bend back by design and features a rather medium 14-inch LED-lit touchscreen. It is 32.4cm long, 22.4cm wide, 2cm thick and weighs at a modest 1.67kg.
- Processor – 1.6GHz, 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 256 SSD.
- Display and graphics – Full HD, Intel UHD 620 graphics coprocessor, and full HD(1920×1080) display.
- Connectivity – 802.11 a/b/g, Bluetooth 4.2, USB 3.0 (2 ports), HDMI and audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Power features – 4 cell Lithium polymer battery, 41 Watt-hours.
- Powerful processor and RAM – The high speed, latest i5 processor, and a giant RAM afford enhanced performance levels when handling huge and advanced software.
- Enhanced storage – It features standard storage capacity for high-end machines.
- Enhanced graphics abilities – It incorporates a powerful graphics processor and display unit for highly enhanced image clarity and processing of data-intensive programs.
- Reliable battery – The watt-hour rating is typical of machines which are capable of sustaining 5+ hours of continuous usage.
- Visually appealing – It features superior aesthetics and a well-built body to suit a wide range of settings.
- The 256GB storage space may need an upgrade considering today’s ever-evolving software in terms of space and processing needs.
7. Samsung 2-in-1 Convertible – Quite Impressive For A Chromebook; Great Six Core Processor, Powerful Display And Graphics
Samsung furnishes the mid-range category with this exquisite model, which combines design craftsmanship and an original set of hardware. Let’s get into the ins and outs of the device to fully appreciate the value it brings on the table.
- Design – The laptop adopts a solid, predominantly silver-coated body, which is a common feature in Samsung’s models produced over the past decade. Like most 2-in-1s, it is a Bendback convertible with two solid hinges and features a relatively compact frame which measures 27.9 x 22.1 x 1.3 cm in dimensions. The consequent weight lingers at around 1.08kg, as the screen size measures at 12 inches.
- Processor – 2 GHz, OP1 Hexa-core processor (Designed for Chromebooks)
- RAM– 4GB.
- Storage – 32GB eMMC.
- Display – 12.3?, 2400×1600 LED Display.
- Graphics and video support – ARM Mali-T860 Graphics.
- Connectivity – 802.11ac, Bluetooth, USB Type-C port, Headphone jack, MicroSD card reader.
- Operating system – Chrome.
- Battery life – 2 cell Lithium polymer, 4.90 Watt-hours.
- Great processing power – It features a rare 6-core processor which is optimized for Chrome users.
- Highly enhanced display unit and graphics – Its display resolution is way above the standard for full HD displays thus guaranteeing a high-clarity display unit. The graphics card is also a rare gem with impeccable processing power.
- Superior aesthetic features – It comes in with a top of the range finish and design quality befitting a modern, professional lifestyle.
- Low internal storage capacity.
- Low battery watt-hour rating.
8. Asus Vivobook Flip 14 Tp412ua-ec232t – Beautifully Crafted, Powerful Processing Abilities
Asus permeates the mid-range category with its unique taste of class and sophistication through this delightfully designed model. A powerful processor, RAM, and graphics coprocessor are some of the hallmarks behind the model’s popularity. Let’s delve into the model’s specifics.
- Design – It is a classic bendback 2-in-1 adorned with a beautiful Silver coat on its base and backside of the screen. A deep black layer covers the keys of the Island style keyboard and peripherals of the 14-inch screen. Its dimensions measure 22.5 x 32.7 x 1.8 cm while the weight is placed at 1.5kg.
- Processor – 1.6 GHz, Intel Core i5-8250U 8th Gen processor.
- RAM – 8GB.
- Storage – 256 GB HD.
- Display– 14?, Full HD.
- Graphics and video support – Intel HD 620.
- Connectivity – 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2, USB 2.0 (2 ports), USB 3.0, HDMI, Audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Battery life – 3 Lithium polymer, 42 Watt-hours.
- Enhanced processing abilities – It comes with an Intel i5 processor and powerful RAM to run a remarkably wider range of programs.
- Great graphics and display features – It incorporates a great HD display and graphics coprocessor capable of handling most graphically enhanced computer programs and software.
- Superior battery – The watt-hour rating promises a day-long internal source of power.
- Beautifully molded – It comes in with one of the most impressively molded bodies within the price category.
- The 256GB storage capacity isn’t exactly ideal for medium to heavy users.
9. Acer R11 – Affordable, Beautifully Designed, Great For General Use Cases
If you need an impressive and portable Chromebook without the inconveniences of an inflated price tag, this model from Acer presents a befitting design and functional features profile. It does fit in as a classic ultra-portable computer capable of being a great traveling companion.
- Design – It’s a bendback with a slender but impressively molded frame and a sleek, all-white finish. The screen peripherals and the keyboard feature a distinct Deep Black color which blends in perfectly with the White background. In terms of size, the screen’s diagonal measures 11.6 inches, as the dimensions and weight measure (29.2 x 20.3 x 1.8 cm) and 1.2 kgs respectively.
- Processor – 1.6 GHz, Celeron dual-core N3060.
- RAM – 4GB.
- Storage – 16GB Solid State.
- Display – 1366 × 768.
- Graphics and video support – Intel Integrated graphics.
- Connectivity – 802.11abg, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Audio jacks, HDMI.
- Operating system – Chrome.
- Battery life – 3 cell Lithium polymer battery, 4 Watt-hours.
- Great processor and RAM for basic to medium use cases – The Celeron processor and 4GB RAM are more than capable of handling basic and fairly advanced programs.
- Great display and graphics processor for medium cases – Though not ideal for advanced software, the display and graphics are enough to handle essential software like word processors, spreadsheets, the Internet, Videos and other medium sized entertainment applications.
- Friendly price tag – It is quite affordable for most budget sizes.
- Attractive and durable construction – The build quality and general design doesn’t fall short of the high standards set forth by its more advanced versions.
- The processing hardware is not ideal for running advanced software.
- Relatively low watt-hour rating.
10. Lenovo Ideapad D330 8 – Solidly Built, Ultra-portable, Medium Processing Power For General Home And Business Usage
If the previous 11-inch model wasn’t exactly portable enough for you, Lenovo comes on stage with this beautifully designed 10+ inch device. It has a standard feature set of a classic mid-range laptop and an impressive response from the community since its inception into the mainstream market.
- Design – The laptop comes in adorned in a bronze finish, which gives it an air of solidity and subtle elegance rarely seen in most similar priced models.
- Dimensions – It is both a Detachable and Bendback as its hinge system allows for complete keyboard detachment, in addition to the 360-degree screen rotation. The screen boasts an incredible 10.1 inches, as the other dimensions measure 24.9 x 17.8 x 1.8 cm.
- Processor – 1.1GHz, Intel N4000 processor.
- RAM – 4GB.
- Storage – 32 SSD.
- Display – 10.1?, 1280×1024 LED Display.
- Graphics and video support – Integrated graphics.
- Connectivity – 802.11ac, Bluetooth, USB Type-C port, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Audio jacks.
- Operating system – Windows 10.
- Battery life – 2 cell Lithium polymer, 39 Watt-hours.
- Good enough for medium to fairly advanced software – The processor and RAM provide enough firepower to handle most mainstream and some fairly advanced software.
- Great battery – The watt-hour rating indicates for a system that’s capable of handling more than 6 hours of continuous usage.
- Ample connectivity options – It provides for all the amenities needed for both wireless and wired connections.
- Durable – It comes in solid construction quality and durable material for an enhanced lifespan.
- Low processing power for huge programs.
- The screen size might struggle with accommodating highly detailed pages.
- Low storage capacity for medium and heavy users.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Bendbacks generally more structurally durable than Detachables?
Firstly, a laptop’s durability also depends on other factors such as material and the method of construction. Therefore, though Bendbacks’ hinge systems have to endure repeated loading due to the screen rotations, it is hardly a significant factor to make them generally less durable than detachables.
2. Is the manufacturer’s battery or watt hour rating reliable?
Most ratings are based on standard tests, which in themselves are not 100% accurate as there is a wide range of factors which influence battery life. However, it still provides a fair estimate of what to expect.
3. What’s the best 2-in-1?
As the product review above shows, there is a myriad of great products from global brands which are in fierce competition. The best product depends on your needs. Anything that satisfactorily addresses your needs is the best product for you.
4. Who needs a 2-in-1 laptop?
Anyone with a highly mobile lifestyle and who foresees him/herself using a touchscreen regularly may need a 2-in-1.
Due to their portability and enhanced practicality when compared to regular clamshell laptops, 2-in-1’s can be great for professionals who need a portable presentation tool, artists who need a digital screen, students, and frequent travelers in general.
Getting your grip on the best 2-in-1 is mostly about understanding the key functional and structural factors which affect the longevity and overall performance of laptops in general. When this is coupled with clarity on the leading models on the market, you would probably be well-placed to identify the best fit for your needs. We wish you all the best as you get the right gadget in your pursuit of excellence.