Best Back Support to Help You Work Longer
Being a part of this corporate world, we all experience specific pains at offices, be it served by the bosses or by the backbone. Strains from the bosses can’t be helped as it is natural at the offices. Back’s pain is not natural as it emerges because of wrong sitting postures or by continuous sitting habit or sometimes, by our lethargic attitude. It positively affects the natural back support of the body, i.e., Backbone or Vertebral column.
Though these pains are not natural, thus one can keep it away by doing certain exercises. But for one who is always drowned in lassitude because of continuous office stress, doing such activities is not a piece of cake. Yet, he can keep his back healthy by using specific back support instruments that provide extra support to their back, keeping them fit for long.
Hence, here we shall provide some basic information about its working and different types and shall serve you with a buyer’s guide that would help one to get the best one of them. Further, we shall discuss the 8 most recommended back supports that one can consider before buying. Read on to learn more.
Top 8 Best Back Support Products
How Back Support works
The backbone of the body consists of vertebras or spines. When one sits, the load of the almost whole body comes to the lower spines called Lumbar spine and to the muscles associated with it, i.e., Lumbar muscles. These Lumbar spines are naturally curved and thus provide a proper curve and posture to the body while sitting. But, maintaining that posture for long exerts enough stress to the muscles and the Lumbar spines leading to diseases and pains.
Back support fits in that curve like ball and socket joint and thus reduces the tension over the lumbar muscles keeping them relaxed and healthy for long if you have a severe and chronic back pain refer our TENS unit article to know more.
Back Support Types
Though all the back support instruments are supposed to serve the same job, yet based on the way of its use, it has been classified into two types:
These are the belt-like lumbar support instruments. Like a belt, it fixes to the body of the user and settles properly in the curve of lumbar spines, giving proper shape to the body and support to the lumbar muscles as well.
Though these remain attached to the body of the user, it can be carried and can be used anywhere and everywhere. It generally is light in weight and can be covered inside the cloth that ultimately makes it highly portable and comfortable for the user.
Portable lumbar support for Chair
As per its name, these back support instruments are also portable. But unlike the braces, these are made for the chairs. These Lumbar supports are placed and fixed to the chair and can be used in conjunction with most types of chairs to fit the individual’s need best. Some of these lumbar supports are like a curved cushion or a roll of towel that along with support, also serves enough comfort and pleasure to the back of the user.
Though these types are attachable to chairs, so one doesn’t need to carry it all the time, making one feel light when not in need of it. Also, It is enough portable and highly adjustable as per the need of the users, that makes it one of the most considered types in the market.
The very moment one thinks of getting lumbar support for the chair, one should think of the size of the instrument. The shape and size of the body matter from person to person, and so do the curve of lumbar muscles. This makes it important for the buyer to keep the size or shape of his body in mind at the time of buying as good back support must fit in that curve for best result. This fitting comes only with the perfect sized back support. Hence, at the time of buying back support, one can, or one should check the size of the instrument to get the most comfort from it.
As mentioned above, a different person has a different body size and shape. Thus, the posture of the back, i.e., the curve of the lumbar muscles changes from person to person. Sometimes one finds it really difficult to find the proper back support as even the perfect size doesn’t fit properly to the curve of the back. Thus one should make it very essential to check the posture of his body as well as the back support before buying one.
As few people, who got deeper back needs to have more shallow or D-shaped back support. While few, who got flattered back needs to have a bit flat back support that would comfortably snug to the back of the user.
At work, in offices, one needs to move their body. Sometimes they need to change their place, i.e., need to walk around, and sometimes they just need to improve their posture or make a slight body movement that is done on the chair itself. For any of the movements, a temporary pillow type lumbar support can be a little fussy and annoying as it will ask for a frequent adjustment.
Thus, at the time of buying, one should give their movement routine an equal consideration and should buy back support accordingly. As for those with such amount of body movement habit, back support that could be attached to the chair could be given a place among opted ones.
As soon as accurately adjustable back support is concerned, the concomitant concern for the shape and size of the existing chair is obvious. It equally important as the chair one currently uses an impact on the back support one is thinking to buy.
For those, who got a bucket-style seat, pillow or cushion type back support might cause a little struggle in fitting it properly and thus, such buyers should look for a firmer backrest that could be attached to the back of the chair, and that need little interaction with the seat. On the other hand, those with molded or upward curved seat can go for either of the choices.
Apart from the above features, there are certain other features too that qualify back support.
As we all are aware of the fact that back pain doesn’t occur only at a particular part of the back as from person to person, its place does vary. On the one hand, if a person can have pain in the hip region of the back. Then, on the other hand, another person can have pain in the shoulder region or the mid-region of the back. Thus some back supports are manufactured to provide support to a particular region of the back.
Also, there are certain back supports, especially braces that come with extra straps that provide extra support and comfort to the user.
8 Best Back Support Products
1. Go Lumbar Support
This breathable mesh lumbar support sits perfectly to the curve of the spines. Its design gives firm and comfortable support, and its air circulating ability keeps the user cool.
- Made of Nature-friendly polypropylene and silicone resin
- Durable and breathable material
- Adjustable elastic straps
- Got innovative massage bumps
- Versatile, i.e., can go with almost all type of chair
- 5 x 15.7 x 5.9 inches dimension
- 5 lbs weight
- Its new, improved design and strong and adjustable straps serve good support to the back of users.
- Its breathable material keeps the body, especially the back of the user cool making it one of the most asked one type, especially in summer.
- Its wide and curve shape gives proper support to the back curing several back diseases.
- It is extremely light in weight and also occupies less space on the seat of the chair, that makes it enough portable.
- It got ergonomic contour that relieves 50% of body pressure that helps in freeing the users from the back pain.
- Got some issues with massage bumps.
- Sometimes create difficulty in fitting with certain types of chairs or seats, especially a driving seat.
2. ComfiLife Lumbar Support Back Pillow
This lumbar support cushion pillow, as per its name, actually makes life quite comfortable by its paddy cushion and other features that serve relief from the back pain and also provide support to the lumbar region. This lumbar support is highly reliable as chiropractors also recommend it.
- Made of high-density memory foam
- Orthopedic design
- 3D breathable cover
- Removable cover
- Adjustable straps
- Easily portable
- Extremely versatile
- 25 pounds weight
- 15 x 12.5 x 4.7 inches dimension
- It is ergonomically designed that provide proper support to the back all day and also promote good posture.
- Highly effective for lower back pain and is mostly used for one with long sitting routine
- High-quality elements make it durable, portable and very much adjustable
- Breathable and removable cover maintains the flow of air and helps in keeping it clean
- A bit too thick and bulky for small seated chairs
- The curved shape makes it difficult sometimes to fit with the back
3. Cloud Hut Unisex Neoprene Back Support
Cloud Hut Unisex Neoprene Back Support is an all-new product which helps you to get relief from all the back pain and recover you from injuries soon.
It is a unisex product and can be used by men and women alike. The product is adjustable and comfortable. Made of Neoprene, the material is breathable for better use. Wear it for 1 or 2 hours every day for gaining a better result.
- This back support can be worn by both men and women alike, and it helps you to correct the back posture by shifting of shoulders forward to achieve the best back alignment.
- You can wear back support under your clothes as well while you are at home, Work and Outdoor making the product versatile. You will definitely feel more confident!
- Start wearing back support every day for 1 or 2 hours so that you develop muscle memory.
- The material made for using the product is Neoprene which is very breathable.This will make the product comfortable for use.
- It is fully adjustable to fit any body frame of size 28? and 48”.
- This back support provides relief from pain in the upper back area which will exert much less pressure on your shoulders.
- A postural resistant strap is provided along with it. This light-resistant band can be used for warm-up exercises.
- It is made up of good quality material.
- The material is soft and comfortable.
- It is a little overpriced
4. Optp Mckenzie Lumbar Roll
This lumbar roll by OPTP is considered to be one of the best lumbar supports. This has also been approved for use in the McKenzie method. Although, some users find it irritating, when one sticks to it for a couple of time, it helps in back problems. It also got certain ecstatic features like the removable cover, polyester fabric, etc. that make it one of the most opted types in the market.
- Made of 100% Polyester fabric
- Non-wrinkle and moisture-wicking material
- High quality and long-lasting foam
- Highly adjustable built-in straps
- Extremely versatile
- 11” Length and 4.75” diameter
- 35 pounds weight
- It is light in weight and is easily portable
- Easily removable cover that makes it easily washable
- Adjustable elastic straps give it proper grip to the chair
- It’s polyester fabric, and moisture-wicking material makes it less messy and increases its durability
- Straps give it grip but aren’t much help in keeping it a few inches up from the seat.
5. LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support
This is another memory foam cushion that is helpful enough in back pains, that too at an affordable rate. The quality of the entire product leaves no reason for the buyer to ignore it. Its 3D mesh cover additionally helps it to stand out of other common braces, as it is extremely convenient and easily removable for cleaning.
- Made of breathable mesh material
- Anti-sweat absorbent fabric
- High density and high resilience memory foam
- Two adjustable straps
- Versatile in terms of application
- 45 pounds weight
- 13 x 13 x 4.5 inches dimension
- High-density memory foam provides gentle comfort and firmness for years.
- Double adjustable straps give it perfect grip to the chair
- The removable cover makes it easy to wash
- Helps very much in the lower back pain and other back problems.
- Highly helpful to one who needs to sit for long hours.
- Memory foams sometimes get flatten too much.
- Sometimes get uncomfortable to the users when it is weather gets too hot.
6. BraceUP Stabilizing Lumbar Support Belt
At first sight, one might think that if this odd-looking device could be one of the best back support braces or not? But its alluring features, such as dual adjustable straps, answer this question very well and don’t leave any reason for the buyer to let it go. Also, its breathable material and other features are equally comforting. It is one of the best posture correctors and back pain healers that further cements the reason to opt this.
- Made of soft polyester
- Breathable mesh material
- Got Dual adjustable straps
- Approx 0.02 pounds weight
- Impressively thin layout
- Its perfect curve and adjustable straps give it perfect fitting to the lumbar curve.
- Breathable material keeps it cool and doesn’t let the user feel warm much.
- It got an impressive layout that gives it proper grip to the back, reducing slipping and bunching.
- Eight stays give additional support to the back, and lightweight makes it easily portable.
- Its fabric sometimes causes itchiness.
7. Fellowes Professional Series Back Support
This clever and unique design from Fellowes is arguably one of the best back supports for office chair. Its ‘tri-attachment system,’ as called by Fellowes, gives it perfect grip on the chair that makes it the perfect and highly demanded one, even for those with a case of wiggle.
- Made of memory foam
- Got mid spinal support
- Three sectioned lumbar support
- Has Tri-tachment system
- Got micro ban antimicrobial protection
- 2 x 15 x 14.5 inches dimension
- 37 pounds weight
- Its unique design provides enough support to every part of the back as it has a separate supportive part for a separate part of the back that makes it more comfortable and user-friendly.
- Its Tri-tachment system gives it perfect grip to the chair that makes it hassle-free and easy to handle.
- Its exclusive design gives it professional look making it highly suitable for office chairs.
- It doesn’t fit every chair as one has to check his chair’s dimension or design before buying this.
- Sometimes does not go well with heights of the back of certain users.
8. Homysnug Lumbar Cushion Back Support Pillow
This penguin-shaped back support instrument has proved itself a good friend of lumbar spines by safeguarding the natural S-Shape of spines that gives the right posture to the user’s back.
- Made of Memory foam
- Ergonomic design
- Got the adjustable elastic strap
- Removable cover
- 38 x 40 x 12 cm dimension
- 44 pounds weight
- Its efficient design provides support to every part of back be it a lumbar region or lumbar lateral region and targets the back pain and provides relief from it.
- It is easy to install at any seat that makes it usable with both office chair and driving seat.
- Its removable cover makes it easy to clean.
- Its lightweight makes it highly portable and easily adjustable.
- Its width occupies enough space on the chair that sometimes gives comfort issues.
- Overweight people felt little difficulty in adjusting with it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are back support belts effective?
There is a lack of scientific evidence that proves that the belts are effective for back pains as relying on them alone cannot prove to be helpful. The back belts support your spines and decrease the chance of causing injury again. It helps to support weakened muscles and gives a good posture.
2. Is it OK to wear a back brace all the time?
The duration for which you should be wearing the back brace depends on various factors such as the injury caused or the depth of the pain. You should consult your doctors who will guide you about those things. While wearing the back brace for a long time gives you good posture.
3. How can I straighten my back naturally?
Some of the tips which can be followed at home to straighten your back naturally are:
- While you are lying on the side, put a pillow in between your legs, so that, it will keep your spine straight and aligned.
- While sleeping, always choose to sleep on the back or the side rather than sleeping on your tummy.
- Avoid rounding your shoulders while carrying a backpack along with you. Lean forward a little bit if the weight feels like more.
- Keep the weight as less as possible if you are carrying a purse or a backpack.
- While lifting heavy things, use your stomach or legs rather than your lower back.
- While you are walking, keep your shoulders aligned with the rest of the body.
- Do not push your head forward while walking.
4. Do back braces work for lower back pain?
Yes, back braces work for lower back pain. It unloads some of the weight placed on in the lower back which reduces pressure on the spinal joints, discs, and muscles.
5. Do lumbar support cushions work?
Lumbar support cushions rest on your back while you are sitting on a chair or something. This helps you to reduce the ligament creep and significantly lowers the back pain.
6. What is the best lumbar support for the car?
The best lumbar support for the car is the LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support.
Finding the best back support is a confusing and complicated task but not for long, as the moment one gets to know what he needs or what he wants from his back support, all the complications for him gets vanished. And as per one’s need, that whether one wants a brace or a pillow, and as per our guide and recommendations above, one can easily fish out the best back support from the market.
Even in cushions, all the mentioned products are equally helpful, yet among all these, ComfiLife Lumbar Support Back Pillow, Go Lumbar Support’s breathable mesh back support, Cloud Hut Unisex Back Support could be given special preferences as their features when given a closure look, are found to be more alluring. And in terms of usage also, these are found to be more comfortable in comparison to others.
Yet in the end, nothing but the need of the users that matters. And one should keep this in his mind at the time of buying, above all the thoughts.