Baby Bedding Essentials
Sleep is a beautiful thing and essential for all family and especially growing kids. To help your baby enjoy rest and have a restful one, you need to get them every gear that will make it possible. You also have to ensure that your baby gets a safe sleeping environment if you want them to sleep for long hours.
With the best crib accessories for your baby, you’ll always remain at ease as the baby rests peacefully in her crib knowing that you’ve got no reason to worry.
Even though you’ll have to keep on checking your little one from time to time to ensure that everything remains okay, the situation won’t be as demanding as when you fear that something terrible might happen if not carefully monitored.
The first thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with all the essential crib bedding items you need to get for your baby. After that, shop for them and give it your best shot which might not be a straightforward task.
There are plenty of these products in the market today and getting the best for your little one might take you more time than you can ever imagine.
This article will make everything straight forward and easy for you by guiding you through all the different types of essential products you need to get for your baby with tips to help you keep your baby safe during sleep time.
You’ll also learn of the things you need to consider before purchasing each one of them if you are to get the best at the end of the day along with answers to frequently asked questions. And the best part, your search for the best of these products has been made easier since ten are listed and discussed in the guide.
12 Best Baby Essentials
Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
Best Baby Blanket
Best Baby Swaddle Wrap
Best-Fitted Crib Sheet
Orthopedic Recommended Crib Mattress
Best Cotton Quilt
Best Breathability Feature
Best Baby Bumper
Best Durability Feature
Excellent Airflow Feature
If you want your baby to enjoy a restful sleep at any time of the day, you have to get them a firm crib mattress. While it might be tempting to get a comfy one for your baby, always go for a firm one at all times. Kids can never have soft mattresses like adults as their airways can get blocked if the bed starts to sink for sleeping at the same spot for some time.
Firm mattresses are safe for your baby and thus the best. You should never worry that the mattress is too hard for your baby since they’ll remain comfortable in it.
Mattress Protector /Pad
Mattress protectors zip around the mattress encasing it fully. The encasement keeps the mattress safe from dust, diaper leaks, and other messes. Protectors create a healthy sleeping place for kids and also reduces the number of asthma instigators on your little one’s sleeping surface.
Most crib mattress pads have a 100% waterproof layer and will not only provide additional protection for your kid’s mattress but also add comfort and softness required to keep your baby in slumberland for long hours.
Cleaning mattress protectors usually are easy since most are machine washable and dryer safe. Ensure that you purchase at least two to four protectors so that you’ll have extras after a wash and for late night changes.
Fitted Crib Sheet
A crib sheet not only brings a beautiful design element in your baby’s crib but also provides your baby with a safe, comfortable place to sleep. Crib sheets also further help in protecting the mattress. A comfortable one should help your baby get a good night’s sleep she needs for growth and development.
Get a minimum of three sheets as you’ll find yourself changing them everyday day, sometimes even twice a day. With extra crib sheets, you won’t have to worry when others are in the wash.
You’ll need to get your baby the swaddle blankets to keep them warm during cold climatic conditions. The best if these blankets are those that look like baby sacks. Swaddle blanket are lifesavers in the beginning stages as they give kids a sense of security at all times. Swaddles work even for some older kids.
Ensure that you get those that are made from 100% muslin cotton as they are safe and easy to wash. Swaddles give kids the feeling they used to get in their mother’s womb and thus fall asleep with ease.
Sleep bags work great for older kids who like to have their arms free at night. The sack will keep them warm, protected and covered everywhere else. These sacks come with zippers that make it easy for you to place your baby in for a nap.
When using a sleep sack, you do not need to cover your baby with a blanket. However, it will all depend on the temperature of the room or the climatic conditions of the day.
Other products you might require
Crib bumpers help by covering the bar gaps in the crib. Bumpers are mostly breathable to ensure that should your baby roll their face against it; they still get to breathe. They protect kids from getting injured by the crib bars. They come in a variety of colors and thus easy to get one that will work for your baby’s nursery.
However breathable the bumper might be, you need to use extra caution if you have to include it in your baby’s crib. There are documented cases in the past where kids died due to suffocation from these products.
Comforters and quilts
You can use comforters and quilts to decorate your baby’s crib. Having them in your little one’s crib isn’t a must, and you need to get them tucked in the sides for your baby’s safety.
Until your baby learns to roll and lay on top of them, ensure that you keep a keen eye on him as he sleeps. Some professionals even recommend the use of these products only after your baby attains the age of two and above.
Crib skirts work great as decorations. They also hide mattress supports from toddlers who may try to investigate and hurt their fingers in the process. These skirts also prevent the sheets from coming into contact with the mattress support springs that can rip them up.
A longer crib skirt can also help in covering up the under crib storage.
Tips to Help You Keep Your Baby Safe During Sleep Time
Every time you place your baby down for a nap or a good night sleep, ensure that you do the following to minimize the chances of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Ensure that your baby lies on her back at all times. Newborns can’t roll on their own and therefore placing her on her tummy will only increase the chances of suffering from lack of air.
- Your baby’s sleeping surface should always be firm. Avoid sitting devices, and car seats as these are never safe for kids.
- If your baby falls asleep in a stroller or swing, remove her and lay her on a firm flat surface.
- Ensure that your newborn sleeps in the same room as you though not in the same bed for easy monitoring and access.
- Keep all soft objects and loose bedding out of the crib. Such objects include pillows, stuffed animals, blankets among others.
- Do not cover your baby’s head as the covers might drape on her face blocking air from her. Covering her head may also lead to overheating.
- DO not over-rely on devices that claim to prevent SIDS.
The following are the things you need to consider before you purchase a crib mattress for your little angel.
A good crib mattress is a firm mattress. It should be firm enough to keep your baby safe at all times. Soft mattresses tend to sink when the baby sleeps on the safe spot, and this may cause breathability problems leading to suffocation.
A firm mattress may not feel comfortable to you but will work great for your baby. However, tempting a soft mattress may be, avoid purchasing it at all costs.
Ensure that the mattress you get for your baby’s crib fits snugly. A full sized crib mattress should be no more than 6 inches. If not buying it online, you can test it with a sample crib before you pay for it to ascertain that you got the best for your baby.
If you can squeeze two or more fingers between the mattress and the crib, select another one as that is too small.
When getting a mattress for your baby’s crib, you need to know that you’ll be changing the bed from time to time, even at night time when you might have bleary eyes. You’ll need a mattress that you can pick with ease. A mattress with a weight range of between 10 and 20 pounds will work great for you and your kid.
Even with a waterproof mattress pad and protectors, having a waterproof mattress for your baby’s crib is also a smart idea. Having an extra layer of protection only means that leaks from accidents will never seep inside your baby’s mattress.
Purchase a mattress that allows enough air to pass through. Should your baby happen to roll on their tummy accidentally, they’ll still be able to breathe with ease.
Avoid going for a second-hand mattress for your baby’s crib if possible. Old mattresses are a breeding ground for bacteria that will only impact negatively on your baby’s health. An older mattress will also not be as firm as a new one and thus unsafe for your baby to sleep in.
The fact that the mattress comes with a higher price tag doesn’t necessarily mean that it works better than those that occur at a lower cost. You might even get surprised to get a lower priced one working better than the expensive one.
What you should always consider is the quality of the mattress in question, if the quality is best, then go ahead and get the mattress for your baby irrespective of the price.
Consider the following when buying a pad for your baby’s crib mattress.
Choose a mattress pad made from cotton material as these are generally thinner, and machine wash friendly. Cotton mattress pads are also the best when it comes to blocking daily wear from the mattress.
Latex and wool pads are mold and dust mite-resistant, a feature that makes them durable than cotton. Wool pads, on the other hand, will work great for your baby in warmer months as they are highly absorbent which cools the baby.
Measure the depth of your baby’s crib mattress before you go for a pad. Doing so will ensure that you get the perfect fit. A pad is only useful if it fits your baby’s mattress right.
Ease of Cleaning
Always go for kid products that you can clean with ease. Select a mattress that you can machine wash and dry for convenience.
Before you get crib sheets for your baby, consider the following;
Thread count is merely the amount of thread used in a square inch of the crib sheets fabric. The higher the thread count of the sheets, the silkier and heavier they’ll feel. Always avoid sheets that come with a thread count of less than 200.
The Thickness of the Crib Mattress
When selecting sheets for your baby’s crib mattress, you need to consider its thickness first. Get thinner crib sheets if you have a portable crib mattress. Don’t use regular crib sheets meant for standard crib mattresses as these will sit loosely endangering your baby’s life.
When getting sheets for your baby’s crib, consider the current temperature. Crib sheets play a significant role in determining whether your baby gets too cold, hot or just right.
Cotton sheet works best in hot weather as they allow air to circulate keeping your baby cool. Flannel sheets on the other hand trap body heat keeping your baby warm during cold weather.
Look out for the following when buying your baby’s swaddle blankets.
Most parents buy baby swaddle blankets after the kid is born and this might tempt them into picking a small one for their newborn. The problem with that is that your baby will outgrow the swaddle after a month or two of use.
When selecting a swaddle for your baby, consider one that will remain your baby’s companion in the long run.
Most swaddle blankets come from soft pure cotton which is the best material. Cotton material is always comfortable and soothing to the baby’s skin. Muslin cotton is also equally good and will also work best for your baby and help him sleep peacefully.
Some brands offer breathing pores to the swaddle material to avoid overheating. Read the label of the blanket before purchasing to ensure that you get the best for your baby.
When it comes to baby swaddle blankets, design means much more than fashion. While it may be good of you to pick a stylish swaddle for your baby, it should be more functional. It should enable your kid to sleep with her hands upright as it is the most comfortable way.
The swaddle should also provide your baby with a well-outlined waistline. It should also leave your baby with enough room to turn.
Type of Fastening
Most swaddles come with zippers and Velcro fasteners. Others come with tie strings that help keep your baby securely fastened when sleeping. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and thus requires you to make the right decision and get the best for your kid.
To get the best sleep sack for your baby, consider the following;
Most parents prefer polyester fabric to other options as it absorbs moisture keeping kids’ skin dry throughout the night. Fleece, a synthetic fiber just like polyester also absorbs moisture keeping it from coming into contact with your baby’s skin as well.
Both fabrics are excellent for winter months as they’ll keep your little one cool throughout the day. Cotton, on the other hand, offers flexibility and great for kids that can turn around and stretch as it won’t restrict their movement.
Sleeves or Sleeveless
There are different types of baby sack styles that you’ll find in the market today. Some with sleeves others sleeveless. Many parents like the sleeveless design as it provides better air circulation. Sleeping sacks with sleeves, on the other hand, help a lot during winter as they help keep kids warm at all times.
Sleeveless designs decrease the risk of stroke caused by heat which is a life-threatening experience.
If you want to get a machine washable sleeping sack for your baby, get one with fleece or polyester fabric. These materials don’t shrink, and you can also place them in a dryer as well. What you need to ensure is that the temperature settings remain on low heat.
Most baby sleeping sacks come with a zipper that offers fuss-free dressing. When purchasing the sleeping bag, ensure that you get one with a zipper that won’t rub against your baby’s body or one that can break off with ease.
You also need to put your budget into consideration when going for a sleeping bag for your baby. Ask yourself whether you have to spend a particular amount on a baby sack from a specific brand.
If you find it worth it and your budget agrees to it, go ahead and get it for your baby. If you can, however, get a high-quality one for your baby at a lower cost that won’t strain your budget, the better.
1. The White Cradle Organic Cotton Fitted Cot Sheet
The cotton fitted cot sheet for baby crib by The White Cradle is made of 100% pure organic cotton, which is grown without the use of pesticides or chemicals to reduce the risk of any rashes and allergies. The superfine yarns are carefully woven in a superior twill weave, which is later washed & printed under controlled conditions and made into a fitted sheet that gives comfort & safety to your baby. The fine yarns allow a denser weave, and the twill weave gives smoothness and breathability.
The sheet has extra-strong elastic that runs all around and below the sheet that holds sheet firm and makes sheet swapping easy when your baby makes a mess. The 360-degree elasticated fitted sheets hold the edges of baby crib snugly in place without the risk of getting undone and causing any suffocation risk to the baby.
- The size of the mattress is 28 x 52 inches and weighs 1.2 kg that perfectly fits the standard crib mattresses.
- The fabric of the sheet is smooth and absorbent.
- The sheet is designed to fit all types of cribs, and the extra drop of 9? will slide below the bottom to hold it well in place, making it easy to fit and remove.
- The cotton sheets require minimum washing that can be easily washed in a machine or hand wash.
- The product is checked and certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard.
- The material is extremely soft
- The designs are attractive, and the sheet is made of premium quality fabric.
- No such cons were found.
2. LifeKrafts Baby Crib Mosquito Net – Our Pick
LifeKrafts is known for making mosquito nets for every type, for example, mosquito net for doors, baby cot, baby strollers, etc. This Baby crib mosquito net by lifekraft is essential for any and every season.
- Made out of skin-friendly fabric so it suits the baby’s skin
- Product Dimensions are 88 x 10 x 10 cm
- Can be installed within minutes because it weighs only 4.54 g, saving time
- Prevents baby from a mosquito in an organic way
- Lightweight and portable
- Offers appropriate space inside so baby can move around easily
- Offers high-quality net material
- No such cons were mentioned.
3. Oyo Baby Quickly Dry Super Soft Mattress Protector – Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
This mattress protector will enable your baby to enjoy uninterrupted sleep for a very long time. It comes from a leading brand that specializes in baby beddings and thus the best you can ever get for your little one. It is an economical mat that will help your baby to sleep all night soundly long enjoying maximum protection.
The protector is waterproof meaning that should your baby’s diapers leak; the contents will never seep into the mattress. It offers a 100% protection against all types of fluids. It is highly absorbent (holds water eight times its weight) and thus the best for a diaper free night.
The protector is free from chemicals, tested and certified making it safe for your baby. With it, you won’t have that your baby might suffer from skin irritations and allergic reactions.
- Offers full protection against fluids and sweat to your baby
- Fluffy and super soft then friendly to your kid’s delicate skin
- It is heat-free, soft and also light in weight.
- Highly absorbent and dries up with ease
- Comes at a very affordable price
- You can hand or machine wash with ease and at any time of the day.
- This product also dries up instantly.
- Waterproof keeping your baby’s mattress in good condition at all times
- Allows air to circulate freely
- Small in size
- Doesn’t absorb that fast
4. Rose Baby Imported Mink Single Layer Blanket – Best Baby Blanket
If looking for a soft and comfortable baby blanket to help keep your baby warm during cold seasons, this blanket from Rose Baby will help you a great deal. It is soft and feels supple against your baby’s skin giving him all the comfort they require.
The blanket comes in a large size to fit kids within the age limit of 0 to 5 years. It will keep your baby well covered and warm during the winter.
The blanket has come from high-quality breathable fabric that makes it long lasting. In it, your baby will remain cool due to the perfect air circulation it offers. It will never cause your baby any harm since it doesn’t have chemicals that can cause skin irritations or rashes.
You can hand wash the blanket with ease using cold or lukewarm water. It is also machine washable and thus very convenient.
- Large enough to cover older kids
- Soft and gentle against your baby’s delicate skin
- Breathable to provide adequate air circulation and keep your baby cool
- Light in weight thus easy to carry anywhere
- Incredibly soft, fluffy and proper size
- Comes in a beautiful color
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Price a little high
- Useful only in winter
5. Linenaffairs Kid’s Organic Muslin Cotton Swaddle Wrap – Best Baby Swaddle Wrap
When wrapped in these swaddles, your baby will feel as if he’s still in the womb. They are designed explicitly for swaddling and will, therefore, keep your baby comfortable and in the right temperature. Wrapped in it, your baby will fall asleep with ease and for long hours.
The swaddles come in extra soft material and even after washing, they remain in the same shape. They have breathable fabric that allows perfect air circulation keeping your baby cool at all times. Use the swaddles, and your baby will never suffer from overheating.
The wraps come in classic prints designed for kids and their deep sleep. You can also use them for multiple purposes as swaddle wraps, privacy nursing covers, burp clothes, picnic blankets among others. The swaddles will give you and your baby a great experience altogether.
You have nothing to worry about when it comes to cleaning the swaddles since they are machine washable and do not shrink after washing. The blankets are highly absorbent and dry with ease. Even after a wash, they’ll still retain their color.
- They have an extra soft material that keeps kids comfortable as they sleep
- They come in a breathable fabric that allows air to circulate freely protecting your baby from overheating
- Come in classic prints suitable for kids
- Can be used for multiple purposes like a privacy nursing cover, picnic blanket among others
- Machine washable and non-shrinking
- Gets softer with every wash
- Breathable and light
- Super soft and large enough
- Light in weight and easy to pack
- Doesn’t feel like a 100% cotton
6. Rabitat Cotton Fitted Cradle Sheet Bedsheet for Crib – Best-Fitted Crib Sheet
If looking for the best crib sheets for your baby’s mattress, you can never go wrong with these. They contain the softest fabric (100% cotton) that will last five times longer than other standard crib sheets you can find in the market today.
The sheets fit snugly around the mattress and will help protect it from dust and fluids that might accidentally leak from baby diapers. They have a gentle encased elastic that helps to hold it securely and fit at all times.
Your little one will never suffer from irritations or any allergic reaction after sleeping on the sheets. They are super comfortable and soft against your baby’s delicate skin. They are easy to machine wash and hand wash and also dry up with ease.
- Contains 100% cotton and therefore extremely soft
- Chemical free and therefore safe for your baby to use
- Fit snugly around the mattress protecting it from dust and leaks
- Super comfortable for kids at all times
- High-quality fabric makes it long-lasting
- Easy to clean and remains in the same state even after washing
- Fits a standard crib mattress perfectly
- Keeps your baby safe from irritations and rashes
7. Baby Teddy All Natural Coco Baby Crib Cot Mattress – Orthopedic Recommended Crib Mattress
This crib mattress comes in a 2 in 1 design, one that fits the changing needs of infants and toddlers. It is dust mite resistant, anti-microbial and pesticide free and therefore very safe for your baby to use. It is also 100% chemical free and will never cause any allergic reactions or irritations on your little tot’s skin.
The mattress is orthopedic recommended due to its firmness as it is designed to provide the required hardness and softness necessary for your baby’s spine development.
The cotton fibers used in the mattress act as natural springs making it baby friendly. Your baby will always enjoy a long relaxed sleep on it.
The mattress is light in weight and comes with a thickness of 5cm, the ideal thickness recommended for a crib mattress. It has just the perfect firmness required to help your kid learn to flip, stand, sit and crawl.
- Chemical free and anti-microbial and therefore safe for kids’ use
- Designed to provide perfect firmness required for kids’ spine development
- Made from cotton fibers that act as natural springs makes it baby friendly
- Comes with a cotton pad that observes baby’s sweat and keeps him dry
- Lightweight and therefore easy to pick when changing your kid’s beddings
- It has an entirely breathable material and therefore minimal risks of SIDS.
- Some people complained that it was a little too hard
8. Mom’s Home Organic Cotton Quilt – Best Cotton Quilt
Made from pure organic cotton this quilt will provide your baby with warm and all the comfort they deserve as it comes from pure cotton. It is super soft and also comes in beautiful prints that will change the look of your baby’s nursery for the best.
The quilt is free of harmful chemicals and dyes and will therefore never make your baby suffer from skin irritations or allergic reactions of any kind. It comes with a bag that makes it easy to pack when traveling with your baby. It is also light in weight.
The quilt is breathable and will, therefore, provide your baby with adequate air circulation at all times. It has a very soft hand feel and will provide your baby with the warmth required to keep him comfortable. Your kid will always want to snuggle in it.
- Certified for safety and thus safe for your baby’s use
- Has a super soft hand feel and therefore very comfortable for your baby
- Comes in beautiful prints that are soothing to the eyes
- Comes with a bag that makes it easy for you to travel with
- Soft and comfortable
- Light in weight and Big in size
- Can be used as a bed for your little one
- Maintenance a bit high as it is only dry washed
9. Baby Fly 3 in 1 Baby Cotton Bed Cum Sleeping Bag – Best Breathability Feature
This sleeping bag comes with a zippered blanket and a mattress made from 400 GSM filling that makes it soft and comfortable for your baby. It provides kids with a safe and peaceful environment for taking a nap during the day or sleeping at night.
It is made from cotton fabric with breathable pores that allow adequate air circulation keeping your baby cool at all times. The bag is light in weight and thus easy to carry anywhere when traveling with your little one.
The sleeping bag comes in a fine outer print that gives it a pleasant look to kids. It feels bouncy and thus very children friendly. Your baby will also never suffer from any skin complications after sleeping in it since it’s fabric is chemical free.
- Made from 400 GSM filling thus very comfortable for your baby
- Provides your kid with a cozy environment for a peaceful sleep
- Light in weight hence easy to carry along when traveling
- Made from fine 100% cotton fabric
- Comes at an affordable price
- Lightweight and Easy to use
- Soft and bouncy with excellent quality
- Not suitable for extreme weather
10. Swayam Kids N More Digitally Printed Mercerised Cotton Bumper – Best Baby Bumper
If you want to keep your baby safe from injuries from crib rails, you’ll need to get him a bumper for the crib. This bumper from Swayam will help you carry out the exercise and always feel at ease whenever you place your baby in the crib for a nap.
The bumper has an outer shell made from soft fabric and filled with polyfill. It is highly breathable and thus the best to help cover the gaps on your baby crib rails.
If your baby accidentally rolls into the side of the crib, the bumper will keep her protected at all times. It will prevent your little one’s body parts from getting stuck between the slots of the cradle and keep her safe.
The bumper comes with a beautiful sheen and luxurious feel that will give your baby’s nursery a breathtaking look. It comes from premium quality pure cotton fibers that make it incredibly smooth and soft. These fibers also make it durable and long lasting
- It has 14 tie-up points that make it suitable and adaptable for almost every crib
- Has perfectly weaved sheets that makes it extremely breathable
- Has a beautiful, luxurious sheen and feel
- Made from high-quality combed pure cotton that makes it strong and durable
- Comes in an elegant design
- Very convenient and protective
- Easy to set up
- Highly breathable
11. Mom’s Home Organic Cotton Baby Muslin Swaddle – Best Durability Feature
These muslin cotton swaddles come in a pack of three with a mix of designs to swaddle your baby to sleep. They are large and will, therefore, wrap your baby comfortably keeping him warm at all times.
The swaddles are super soft and made from organic muslin cotton free from harmful colors and chemicals. They are easy to wash and get softer with every wash.
The swaddles have a breathable fabric, ultra-soft and perfect to wrap your baby comfortably at all times. Apart from using them as swaddle wraps, you can also use them as burp cloths, nursing cover, stroller cover, play mat among other ways.
- The blankets are safe and soft for kids with sensitive skins.
- Perfect for kids with a maximum age of 12 months
- Come with strongly stitched edges that prevent them from fraying even after consistent use.
- Large in size to cover your baby perfectly
- Retains quality even after wash
- Very safe for your baby to use
- The swaddles will also work best as your baby wash towel as well.
- Made from organic muslin thus durable
- The image is misleading since you only get three
- Comes in a suffocating weird smell. need to wash it before 1st-time use
12. Trance Home Linen Baby Dry Sheets Crib Protector – Excellent Airflow Feature
If looking for an affordable mattress protector for your baby’s crib mattress, this will one will suffice. It is 100% waterproof and comes with an airflow technology that allows air to circulate.
It is highly hygienic and durable meaning that you’ll use it to protect your baby’s mattress for a long time. The protector holds water more than its weight and also dries with a lot of ease.
It is easy to wash, light in weight and highly absorbent. Before using it on your baby’s mattress, ensure that you clean it with a mild detergent or soap. Avoid squeezing it excessively, do not dry clean, iron or bleach if you want it to remain in good condition for a long time.
- Comes in a variety of colors giving you a chance to select your favorite
- Soft and thus baby skin friendly
- Repels all fluids and protects the mattress against allergens, dust mites, and even bacteria
- Easy to get your favorite color
- Dries with a lot of ease
- Machine washable
- Smooth and comfortable for your baby to use
- Has rugged sides
- Doesn’t hold much water
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What baby bedding do you need?
Baby bedding should be comfortable and safe for your baby while you decide on the theme. You need a crib as your baby needs to sleep in a warm and not far from you. If you are borrowing a crib, make sure you purchase a new mattress, or you can also use a mattress that you have as far as it is fat, fits the crib with no gaps, clean and waterproof. The use of pillows or duvets is not recommended as they have a high risk of suffocation.
2. How can I make my baby’s crib more comfortable?
The following tips can make your baby’s crib more comfortable
Swaddling- Try swaddling by wrapping your baby in a blanket and comforting them. However, pediatricians suggest against swaddling when babies roll over on their own as it might increase the risk of suffocation.
Sleep slack- If your baby is 4-6 months old and can roll over on its own, you can use a sleep slack instead of a blanket for swaddling as sleep slacks leave your baby’s hands-free. They can also be used in cribs after newborn and early infant age.
Lovey- A lovey can be a soft toy, a blanket, or mom or a dad’s shirt that comforts the baby to sleep. You can place the lovey inside the crib to make it more comfortable.
Baby swing- Though letting babies sleep in a swing is not suggested, a baby swing can be used to help them sleep.
Crib mattress position- You can slant the mattress upward from at its head by placing an object below it to make the mattress more comfortable.
3. How long should a crib mattress last?
The period within which a crib mattress should last depends on a bunch of complicated and on the other part, uncontrollable factors. A good crib mattress, however, should last for a minimum of three years.
For a mattress to last longer, you’ll have to put extra effort into ensuring that it gets well protected from hazards that might lead to its destruction a few months down the line. That’s why you need to get a mattress protector to keep it secure.
You also need to know that high-quality made mattresses (might come with a higher price tag) will last longer while the poorly made ones will only last for a short time.
4. Should I be worried about my baby’s mattress fit?
Yes, you should. The mattress should fit snugly at all times. Less than two fingers should fit between your baby’s mattress and the sides of the crib. If that isn’t the case, select another mattress. You do not want your baby to get injured in case of accidents.
5. When can my baby sleep with a blanket?
You have to wait until your baby is at least 12 months old. Soft beddings like pillows and blankets should never be left in the crib as your baby sleeps as these can cause suffocation or sudden infant death. You can, however, use safe alternatives to keep your baby warm such as sleep sacks and wearable blankets.
6. How many swaddles do I need for my newborn?
The number of swaddles you’ll need depends on how often you do your laundry. Ensure that you have a minimum of three to be on the safe side. If your baby spits from time to time, you’ll need more swaddles.
7. Are waterproof mattress protectors safe?
If you have a waterproof mattress protector over your baby’s crib mattress, ensure that you keep on checking on them from time to time. You need to know that if a product is waterproof, it means that air doesn’t get through. Should your baby flip to lie on her stomach in a bed with the protector, she might not be able to breathe.
8. What material should crib sheets be?
The best crib sheets contain fabrics that include woven cotton, cotton blends or flannel. The materials are very soft and even get much smoother with every wash. They are also easy to clean and dry. Always go for sheets that fit snugly and avoid the loose ones.
9. Are sleep sacks safe?
A sleep sack is the safest product you can ever get for your baby. The bags replace blankets in the crib that can accidentally cover your baby’s face causing difficulties in breathing. They also reduce the risk of overheating.
10. When should I introduce crib bumpers?
Avoid using crib bumpers at all costs especially if your baby can’t turn in her own. A bumper should never get in a crib of a baby less than 12 months old. You need to know that bumpers can cause problems for kids even at two years of age and therefore only use them on older kids.
If you want your baby to enjoy a peaceful night sleep or have a comfortable nap, you have to get her the best products to make this possible. If your baby is comfortable, you’ll also get comfortable since you won’t have to keep on stirring from the bed from time to time with the fear that something terrible might happen to her. She’ll also take longer naps during the day and give you time to carry out some errands around the house and relax as well.
All the items listed in the guide will enable your baby to sleep peacefully. You, however, don’t have to purchase everything to get the best results. Go through them and get the best for your little angel. Make her happy, and you’ll become happy as well.